PDA

View Full Version : Victoria and Albert's bans children under age 10

jillluvsdisney
01-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I just read this on the AP wire. I wonder what brought that about? I don't think it's a bad thing. I can't imagine many adults would bring a child to dinner there. I hope this isn't a slippery slide to other restaurants like California Grill or Artists' Point.

dteed
01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Interesting. I don't see California Grill or Artist Point doing this though.

Goofeygal
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I hope also that it will not become something alot of the resort restaurants do.

garymacd
01-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Like Jill said, I can't see a lot of parents bringing their children there. I also can't see a child getting their money's worth of the food served at V & A. What would they serve? Elk or Moose meat burgers and french fried french fries?

SurferStitch
01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I actually already thought that was the policy.

I don't think the policy is a big deal at all. In all of the times we've dined there, I've only ever seen one teen, and she was around 14 or 15.

Personally, I see (and hear) plenty of children at all of the other resort and park restaurants, and it's very nice to dine in an all-adult restaurant one night....... especially when we're paying over $500 for a gourmet meal.

DisneyLuver91
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Children under 10 are no longer allowed to dine at Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian.

I think that its a little silly to ban kids from a hotel restaurant.

Opinions are great!

Tinkermom
01-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I actually thought this was already the case. V&A's is a wonderfully romantic and very gourmet restaurant. It is the one place on Disney property to go and enjoy a quiet adult meal. Kind of like Palo on the Disney Cruise Line. Palo is also an adult only restaurant.

Wayne
01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Personally, I see (and hear) plenty of children at all of the other resort and park restaurants, and it's very nice to dine in an all-adult restaurant one night....... especially when we're paying over $500 for a gourmet meal.

Agreed.

dkfajr1
01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I think it's appropriate. It's a gourmet restaurant, I would NEVER bring my young children there. They wouldn't understand the atmosphere, food, etc. I know I can't get my young one's to sit still for that long.

DizneyRox
01-06-2008, 01:23 AM
We got married at WDW. On the invitation, it said, "Children are not welcome at the reception." Yes, we made alternate arrangments for them (and we paid for them) but nobody seemed to complain. It turned out to be a nice peaceful meal, I would expect the same at V&A or any formal restaurant at WDW, it's not too much to ask.

teambricker04
01-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't ever bring my three year old or 6 month old, but I think that it is silly for a place known for being kid friendly to ban kids.

Sure it is expensive, and most people wouldn't be crazy enough to bring in a small child, but as the article states "Only about three families a month ever brought young children to Victoria & Albert's, said Rosemary Rose, Disney's vice president for food, beverage and merchandise operations." Then why ban them and get all the negative publicity? And... like jillluvsdisney, I hope this doesn't become a "thing".

Who made this terrible decision? Dumb... just dumb.

#1donaldfan
01-06-2008, 09:44 AM
That's just silly !!!!!!!!!!!! Is Disney for kids and the kids that are still in us?????? If you want to fork out several hundred dollars for your child to eat there, then that should be your decision. Really, 99.9% of people go to Disney for fun and relaxation, not to be winned and dinned, if you want that, go to an all adult resort. What if someone has a youngster who loves that type of food, the parents want to treat themselves there, well, now they can't go becasue of a ban???? I agree that sometimes kids will be kids and "act up", but most of the times I feel that those parents who have kids that tend to act up while eating, won't take them there.....What if you have two kids, one that is 15 and one that is 7....do you just leave the 7 yr old in the room????? I think that an exclusion from a place to eat is a bad thing at Disney !

Meteora
01-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I have no problem with this. While Disney is obviously a child-friendly place, it tries to provide experiences for people of all ages, and I think having an adult-only restaurant provides a nice option for couples visiting without kids or with older kids that would like to have a fancy dinner. There are plenty (PLENTY) of other dining options for families.

I agree that sometimes kids will be kids and "act up", but most of the times I feel that those parents who have kids that tend to act up while eating, won't take them there

If this were unequivocally true, I might agree, but unfortunately, not everyone is like our beloved Intercot posters. I have seen many families take their young children to fancy restaurants and let their youngsters scream or carry on during the meal. In addition, usually well-behaved kids might start acting up if they are brought to a place where they have to sit still for several hours without much entertainment. I would find it hard to believe that V&A would set this policy if they had never had problems with kids acting out or had never received a complaint about young kids disrupting the dining atmosphere. And, as I said, there are plenty of other options, including leaving your kids with a baby-sitter or at one of the child-care centers while the adults enjoy a meal, or just going to a different restaurant. I was a first grade teacher, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be a rare seven year old who enjoyed a 3 hour dinner of gourmet food anyway.

PetefromRI
01-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I have to agree with the new policy.Out of all the places to eat in Disney it's only this one restaurant.I'd hate to spend 300.00 or better for dinner and have it spoiled by one unruley child.As long as this doesn't trickle down to other restaurants which I doubt it will.

#1donaldfan
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I think I am just afraid that with this, it just makes it easier to enforce future bans, for all sorts of different reasons. I just feel that if it's at Disney, then all ages should be welcome, I guess now with the exception of PI, and now V&A's......also, I doubt too, that a 7 yr old would like this atmosphere, but again, shouldn't it be up to the parents? I just don't like seeing places being banned....and hopefully this is not a future trend at some of the more "upscale" eateries.....every parent needs some "alone" time and time without the kids, but if your on vacation at Disney, why is it necessary to exclude them while there???? I know I'm being rash or hard on those who go without kids and want to enjoy the time they've alloted for their vacations.....so I'll just stop here........please everyone, don't be too hard on me for "sticking up for the kids"....

jedigrrrl
01-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I ate there last January and I would have been super upset if there was a child in there running around and screaming which happens at every other TS in WDW. While I don't mind at other TS places that are more casual and less expensive (even Cali grill has a MUCH MUCH more casual loud vibe that is totally appropriate for children. And Our meal for 2 at Cali cost HALF of what it cost at V&A). It takes 3 hours to eat at V&A and it is quite a boring place. Children under 10 have no business being there and parents who take them, even if it's 3 a month, are inconsiderate to the people shelling out hundreds of dollars for a quiet gourmet meal. And if your child is into gourmet meals, then take them elsewhere and wait until they are 11 to eat at V&A.

I like the new policy.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Banning under-tens from V & A is absolutely no indication that they're going to do it at other Disney establishments. The only other restaurant on property that doesn't offer a children's menu is Bistro de Paris. All other restaurants, including the Signature dining places, are obviously child-welcoming and family-friendly. Why not have one or two places that are more adult-oriented or even adult-only? I see no problem with it and no need to worry that it will be a trend.

Catzle
01-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't really have a problem with this new policy, but as a parent of young children while on vacation I would NEVER go any where without them. Since most families have very limited time together throughout the year while on vacation I just couldn't justify leaving my children with strangers so I could go out to dinner.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't really have a problem with this new policy, but as a parent of young children while on vacation I would NEVER go any where without them. Since most families have very limited time together throughout the year while on vacation I just couldn't justify leaving my children with strangers so I could go out to dinner.

Yes, but this isn't the case for every Disney visitor. It's a top honeymoon destination as well as a favorite place for a lot of travelers without kids. When your kids are older, like mine, you may still be headed to WDW for vacations and welcome the chance to have a nice adult meal while your older teens have a chance to go explore on their own. WDW will always be a family vacation destination, but they can't ignore the great number of adults who do travel without kids. It's nice to have one or two options for adults who seek a peaceful respite and enjoy fine dining. This doesn't mean that those same adults don't expect and even enjoy being surrounded by kids for the rest of their Disney vacation.

BethieTink
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I totally support this policy and I wouldn't mind seeing it trickle down to a few other Disney restaurants. I know I am in the minority here and that is fine. I also would love it if Disney did Adult Only days at some of the parks once in a while.

My DH and I have no children (except for 3 felines) and have no intention to. Our favorite vacation spot, however, is WDW. We like to do a couple of Signature meals a trip and we wouldn't mind if we knew that there wouldn't be a lot of kids there. I think the age of 10 for the Signature restaurants is extreme, but what about 5. I for one don't want to be sitting trying to enjoy $80 Chateaubriand at the Yachtsman with a crying infant next to me. That would totally ruin my evening.

There are plenty of restaurants on property that cater to families with kids. We eat at them and enjoy them (including watching the kids have fun), but some night we don't feel like doing that.

Some parents don't have the sense not to bring the kids everywhere. Case in point, I invited some friends to a group birthday dinner for myself, at a restaurant that would not be appropriate for children, since we were visiting their city at the time. She declined because she didn't think her youngest (who won't even be 2 at the time) would enjoy it. I am glad she did decline, because our 10 other friends who were all coming without children, would not have been happy, but couldn't believe that she would even consider bringing the kids there.

IMO, kids shouldn't be taken everywhere, even at Disney.

PattySwind
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE
Personally, I see (and hear) plenty of children at all of the other resort and park restaurants, and it's very nice to dine in an all-adult restaurant one night....... especially when we're paying over $500 for a gourmet meal.[/QUOTE]

$500 for a meal???? OMG, I hope that is for a party of 10.

Patty

animalkingdomguy
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm a father of three and I don't have a problem with the age limit. First not everyone going to WDW has children or wants them to interfere with a fine dining experience. There are a myriad other resturants for families and we eat there (favorites Boma and Ohana). When I do take my wife to VA it will be because we want to quiet adult dining experience.

Tigger&Stitch
01-07-2008, 02:26 AM
I totally support this policy and I wouldn't mind seeing it trickle down to a few other Disney restaurants. I know I am in the minority here and that is fine. I also would love it if Disney did Adult Only days at some of the parks once in a while.

IMO, kids shouldn't be taken everywhere, even at Disney.

I totally and completely agree!! :thumbsup:

I would love to see this trickle down to more Disney restaurants(mainly because we can't afford V&A)...isn't one of the restaurants on the Disney cruise ship adults-only? That's 1 out of four restaurants, right? Much higher percentage than in WDW.

WDW is for kids and adults. And not all adults like children or enjoy their company during a nice/expensive dinner.

SurferStitch
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
$500 for a meal???? OMG, I hope that is for a party of 10.

Nope......two.

Food - $125 per person plus adders (additional $30 for Kobe beef, additional $30 for truffles) = $310

Wine pairings - $60 per person = $120

Food and wine = $430 PLUS tax = around $460

Oh, then tip = $150

Grand total = $610 (we used DDE card, so we paid about $516 including the original $150 tip. That one meal more than paid for our DDE card!) We have gotten many meals there without the card in the past, though.

Now do you see why it's not really a place for children, and why adults want to dine without them there?

BeccaO
01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I think the issue at hand is that people take their kids to restaurants like V&A and don't make them behave. I don't think it is unreasonable to dedicate a restaurant to people 10 and over, actually they should raise the age well over 10 years old. After all, there are folks who visit Disney that want to have a nice up-scale meal without children. There are plenty of restaurants on Disney property that you can take any child, any age, one restaurant with an age limit is not asking too much.

I know that not too long ago my parents visited V&A for dinner and they said there was a family eating at the same time and they had 2 young children that would not behave, the parents did nothing to calm these kids down. They said the meal and the service were both great but this family with the kids made the atmosphere less than romantic. This is the kind of thing Disney is trying to prevent, which is sad, because if people would just make their kids act the way they should in restaurants, it wouldn't be an issue.

DizneyRox
01-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I think the 10 year old age was chosen because it is the age they charge adult prices for tickets. It has nothing to do with the ability to behave at the age of 10.

RBrooksC
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that V&E is a seperate entity from the other dining experiences in Disney.

So, I don't think what V&E does will have any effect on the other offereings in WDW.

Also, when one wants a dining experience like a V&E, one does not want children there. I have a toddler and if I wanted a mean there, I would in a million years bring him there.

That mean is meant to be an experience... something that is savored. Children don't allow for that.

Oh, the fact that WDW is child friendly does not mean that everything there has to be. It is good, especially there, to have a place that adults can escape.

mjaclyn
01-07-2008, 12:08 PM
DH and I went to V&A's on our Honeymoon and had a wonderful time. Now that we have a DD of our own, I can honestly say that I would not bring her there. I do understand that V&A's is a popular restuarant for couples who are celebrating an important event in their lives and it IS nice to be able to go somewhere in WDW for a quiet, romantic dinner. I would definitely have a problem with the policy if other restaurants jumped on the band wagon - like California Grill, Jiko, Artist Point, etc. DH and I still love to enjoy fine food at these restaurants and DD is usually very well behaved even though she is only 14 months old. We would also NEVER EVER let her run wild through the restaurant or bother other guests. If she starts to get cranky one of us always takes her out. Before we had children I never understood why parents would simply ignore the scene their children would make in a restaurant - from screaming & crying to running around & throwing food. It's definitely tough to get a young child to sit ANYWHERE but there are things that parents can do. I always come well equipped with cheerios, crackers, a juicebox and disposable placemat. If possible, DH and I always order her food first - before we even order, to make sure that she has something to eat ASAP. That way, she's happy and usually lasts throughout the meal with no problems whatsoever. :)

meldan98
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
We went Xmas day '00 during our honeymoon trip and there was one child sitting at a table in the room where we were seated. The boy was about 7 or 8 and he look absolutely board out of his mind!!! I felt so bad for him. He was the only child at the table of 4 adults and no one except the waiter really interacted with the kid. I really felt bad for the kid. He had proper manners and was very polite, but really deserved to be somewhere else where he could have some fun.

I've got a 4 year old and could never imagine taking her to a place like that. I also read an article that this may have been a way to market it and bring some attention to the fact that they have this offering available.

Donald Duck Fan
01-07-2008, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=BethieTink;1509327]I totally support this policy and I wouldn't mind seeing it trickle down to a few other Disney restaurants.
QUOTE]

I must say that I like the policy at V&A. I wouldnt mind seeing this policy either take effect at some other restaurants like the Artist Point or California Grill.

Maybe what Disney can do, is modify some of the upscale restaurants like Aritist Point and make a private dining room for adults 18 and older to enjoy a nice quite and romantic evening. This would allow both adults who would like a nice quite dinner to have one, and also allow those parents who fell that they need to bring the children with them to have dinner at the same restaurant.

ElenitaB
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Since a few people have brought it up, there are several areas on the DCL ships that are Adults Only (i.e., 18 and above):

Palo restaurant
The Spa and fitness center (including the salon)
Cove Cafe
The Quiet Cove adults-only pool area (including Signals)

artyboy
01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=BethieTink;1509327]I totally support this policy and I wouldn't mind seeing it trickle down to a few other Disney restaurants.
QUOTE]

I must say that I like the policy at V&A. I wouldnt mind seeing this policy either take effect at some other restaurants like the Artist Point or California Grill.

Maybe what Disney can do, is modify some of the upscale restaurants like Aritist Point and make a private dining room for adults 18 and older to enjoy a nice quite and romantic evening. This would allow both adults who would like a nice quite dinner to have one, and also allow those parents who fell that they need to bring the children with them to have dinner at the same restaurant.

I agree completely!

While I don't dislike kids (I have raised one of my own) I often see parents who stop parenting while at WDW...

Donald Duck Fan's suggestion is perfect for some of the other fine dining restaurants...I'm all for it!

Goofster
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Given the costs involved for a meal at V & A, I think the no-child policy is more than reasonable. Unfortunately, many parents are too selfish to think of their child, and other dining patrons, to choose a more family-oriented restaurant on property. Children, no matter how well behaved, simply do not belong (nor do they want to be) in an enviornment like V & A.

In all honesty, I am shocked that a parent would even take a child under 10 to V & A.:confused:

Seasonscraps
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I am actually surprised this wasn't already a policy.

jax86
01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
although when my kids were younger, they rarely acted up in public (really they didn't, they were shy, quiet kids, and drawing that kind of attention to them embarrassed them, lucky for me!!) but, i still would never take them to a restaurant like that. theres nothing wrong with having a policy in place like that. like others have said there are SO many places for kids to eat in WDW. i think with some people, they just don't llike to be told they CANT take their precious darlings whereever they want. some places are just not meant for children. like it or not any restaurant has the right to put this policy in place.

CandleontheWater
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I think that this is a great decision. DH and I are planning on V&As for our vacation in Oct, and I'm personally really happy that we can have an adults only experience that is bound to be romantic and memorable. Disney is for families of all types, and that includes husbands and wives. As much as DH and I both like children and look forward to having our own, we both also agree that a strong marriage is a cornerstone to a happy family, and having a strong marriage means that you have to nurture the bonds between husband and wife. I couldn't imagine a better place to reconnect than at a romantic child-free restaurant in our favorite place. My family always treasured our vacations and time together, but every vacation to Disney involved one night where we were dropped at the Mickey Mouse club and Mom and Dad had a romantic dinner at California Grill. We are also planning to make that a tradition in our own family vacations, and its nice to know that there is one place on property where we can escape the noise and excitement of children and concentrate just on ourselves.

Magic Smiles
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
At the prices that you pay at V & A, kids should not be allowed. It only takes one child to ruin a meal for everyone and believe me if I was at the restaurant, that child would be for sure sitting at the table beside me. Even Disney needs some places for adults only.

KAT1811
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't disagree with the policy but I also do not agree with it either. Our oldest DD was fine dining at the age of 3 and to this day her favorite restaurant is one of the finest in RI. We often go for dinner and have for years. I would never bring my children to V&A because the atmosphere is not what we personally look for in WDW. We like fine dining in an atmosphere that is warm and inviting, not stuffy and stiff (even when it is just DH and myself). My cousin has fine dined her entire life and my aunt and uncle would have been very put off by a policy such as this. She is very well traveled and has been to more countries than most of the adults I know. Unfortunately I think that there are people out there that do not have enough sense to know that their particular child cannot tolerate such and environment and will be disruptive however, there are children that can and believe it or not actually enjoy said dining.I think that there should be some room for exceptions. As far as the trickle down theory I would not think as much of my beloved Disney as I do now if they were to institute such a policy at other WDW eateries. We, and our children, throughly enjoy California Grill and many of the other fine eateries in WDW.

:jaw: Adult only days?!?!?! Walt would be horrified. I understand this is your opinion and I respect that. To each his own.

Natazu
01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm kind of torn here. I've never agreed with disallowing children at gourmet restaurants. While it's a rare case that a small child would enjoy a meal at a place like V&A, the one that would should be allowed to come. But then again, I don't really want to share my gourmet dining experience with the Brady Bunch either.

On one hand, if your kids are well-behaved, why shouldn't you be able to bring them. Then again, if you can afford $350 for dinner, you can afford a babysitter. I'd wager a small child will have a better time with "Fairy Godmothers" babysitting service than mom and dad and servers in tuxedos.

On a side note. The only time we had a "less than enjoyable" atmosphere at Vicky's was when we were seated next to a table full of loud, giggly, teenage girls having a sweet sixteen dinner. Might as well make it 18 and up... or how about 25, then they can rent a car and drive themselves.

Tigger&Stitch
01-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Adult only days?!?!?! Walt would be horrified.

Ehh..how do you know?

dmosher
01-08-2008, 04:50 AM
I would be OK with WDW having one very expensive (V&A) and one at least mid-priced restaurant that is adults only or at the very least a separate adults only section.

I am not bashing children or their parents here, but with all of the children running free in the parks and at the resorts, it would be nice for those of us who are child-free or parents who would like a night out alone together to go and be away from the usual noise levels that are "generally" associated with Disney Family-friendly dining.

:pipes:
D

SurferStitch
01-08-2008, 06:53 AM
We like fine dining in an atmosphere that is warm and inviting, not stuffy and stiff (even when it is just DH and myself).

Just a side note....having eaten at V&A many times, I can say it's a very warm and inviting place. We've never found it to be stuffy and stiff. Staff is very attentive, informative and friendly, and we are always welcomed like we are sincerely wanted there.

Don't mistake professional and sophisticated with stuffy and stiff.

Okay, back on topic.......:blush:

IloveJack
01-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm not surprised by this or offended by it either. I am actually surprised that this policy wasn't already in place. I figured a restaurant with a dress code wouldn't allow children anyhow... or are the "little men" required to wear jackets, also?

On a side note. The only time we had a "less than enjoyable" atmosphere at Vicky's was when we were seated next to a table full of loud, giggly, teenage girls having a sweet sixteen dinner. Might as well make it 18 and up... or how about 25, then they can rent a car and drive themselves.

I've wondered why the cut off is 10. At least a stern look often quietens a 5-8 year old, whereas it no longer works on many teenagers. If it's going to truly be adult-only, why allow 10-17 year olds?

Of course, this being said, I've never eaten at V&A's, and don't ever see myself doing so. Not that I think it's stuffy or anything of the like. There's just so many other things I'd rather do with my money than eat/drink it all up. Not to mention the fact that my husband is a jeans and t-shirt man. But to each his own...

BethieTink
01-08-2008, 08:35 AM

I love this idea!!

KAT1811
01-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Then again, if you can afford $350 for dinner, you can afford a babysitter.

Although I can afford both I would never leave my children with a babysitter. Many of our friends have nannies and some even bring them on vacation with them. I am proud to say that I put my career on hold to raise my children myself I would never leave them in a hotel hundreds of miles from home with a complete stranger. Again I don't completely disagree with the age restriction. As a side note I have been to dinner in some fabulous restaurants when the grown ups around me have ruined my meal. All-in-all it is a restaurant, nothing else.

Ehh..how do you know?

Walt created WDW as a place where families could vacation together not a place where adults could go alone.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." -Walt Disney

I'm pretty sure that the man who said this would be horrified to find out that children were being excluded from his dream parks just so adults didn't have to "deal" with them for a day!!!!!

KAT1811
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Just a side note....having eaten at V&A many times, I can say it's a very warm and inviting place. We've never found it to be stuffy and stiff. Staff is very attentive, informative and friendly, and we are always welcomed like we are sincerely wanted there.

Good to know but I guess what I meant to say is a more lively atmostphere, more like the California Grill. Thank you.

BethieTink
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Walt created WDW as a place where families could vacation together not a place where adults could go alone.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." -Walt Disney

I'm pretty sure that the man who said this would be horrified to find out that children were being excluded from his dream parks just so adults didn't have to "deal" with them for a day!!!!!

Maybe I am being really touchy, but I would like to think that even though my husband and I don't have or don't ever plan to have children, that we constitute a "family". We consider ourselves one. According to Walt's quote, maybe we should be excluded, since we don't have kids. I apologize if I am reading too much into this, but families do come in other varieties.

KAT1811
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe I am being really touchy, but I would like to think that even though my husband and I don't have or don't ever plan to have children, that we constitute a "family". We consider ourselves one. According to Walt's quote, maybe we should be excluded, since we don't have kids. I apologize if I am reading too much into this, but families do come in other varieties.

I'm not saying that you and your DH do not constitute a family, that would be very single minded. What I am saying is that the exclusion of a portion of a family, in this case children, from a WDW theme park is apalling. IMHO. I do have children and the thought of them not being allowed into the MK or even Epcot for the day so a bunch of "adults" can ride Space Mountain or Soarin' alone saddens me. Families come in all shapes and sizes; Our family is a bit larger than yours and includes children. We go to WDW to be with our children, every minute of every day.

I do not want to get into a debate, I just stated my opinion and was supporting my assumption, with a quote, that Walt would feel the same.

My sincerest aplogies to all for getting off topic.

Goofster
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Whether or not you have (or plan to have) children is irrelevant. The quote says 'a family park where parents and children could have fun together'. The suggestion to ban children from a park, for even a day, seems to go against the very basis underlying the creation of the Magic Kingdom by Walt Disney himself.

In contrast, Walt did not say 'a family park where a family could have fun together'. Then we could debate the definition of a family and all that jazz. But we don't have to as Walt is pretty clear about letting children into the parks.

IMO, adults-only restaurants is perfectly exceptable, but to exclude children from any of the Parks is too much.

SurferStitch
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Good to know but I guess what I meant to say is a more lively atmostphere, more like the California Grill. Thank you.

Got ya! :thumbsup:

But.....V&A is much, much finer dining than Cali Grill. Don't get me wrong...we love Cali Grill (even though Narcoossee's is our fave), but it doesn't begin to touch V&A. Totally different leagues.

tennantsrwe
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Although I've never personally been to V & A, I've looked over a sample menu and couldn't fathom bringing little ones there. Like some others have mentioned, what would they eat? I do think it's nice there is an adult only eatery though, especially if you're there for a honeymoon or something and want a nice, romantic atmosphere. As long as this doesn't spill over to the more casual eateries, which I couldn't ever see that happening, I don't think it's a big deal.

jedigrrrl
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

I agree. I ate there with my husband, parents, 2 brothers and their 2 girlfriends and we had so much fun. My family laughs a lot and my dad has a hilarious cuban accent so we would crack up every time he'd read something off the menu or talk to the staff. We were the loudest(relatively speaking) people in there and the staff loved us! They'd whisper jokes back at us and try not to laugh out loud. It was so fun and so delicious!

Tigger&Stitch
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Apologies for getting off topic again...

Unless you knew Walt personally and could ask him this question, you don't actually know what he would think about any of this. Saying he would be "horrified" is meant to make the original poster feel guilty or ashamed of their comment, and it's not nice.

Walt also said this: "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

What does it mean? Does it apply here? I have no idea. I didn't know him.

I can only assume you and those who feel the way you do either discount the Disney Cruise Line as "not Disney" or do not plan to ever cruise with them as they have adult-only sections and restaurants.

thrillme
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
No big deal at all. Shucks why not have a handful of Adult Only...so many people honeymoon there and there are sooo many retirees in Florida...why not cater to adults too. I know I for one am a bit too poor for V&A and even though my DS is old enough to go...I'd rather find something more whimsical. It's just more MY speed. Alas I don't fault anyone for dreaming about one of those romantic "soap opera" dinners.

As far as an "Adults Only Day" at the park...I can go one better...How about a ME only day. Just ME and my crew and perhaps a handful of strangers to make it interesting. :D...We all get to ride Segways between the rides... WHEEEE... :thumbsup: Ok...Ok...I'll come down from my little fantasy now :cloud9:

Seasonscraps
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
No big deal at all. Shucks why not have a handful of Adult Only...so many people honeymoon there and there are sooo many retirees in Florida...why not cater to adults too. I know I for one am a bit too poor for V&A and even though my DS is old enough to go...I'd rather find something more whimsical. It's just more MY speed. Alas I don't fault anyone for dreaming about one of those romantic "soap opera" dinners.

As far as an "Adults Only Day" at the park...I can go one better...How about a ME only day. Just ME and my crew and perhaps a handful of strangers to make it interesting. :D...We all get to ride Segways between the rides... WHEEEE... :thumbsup: Ok...Ok...I'll come down from my little fantasy now :cloud9:

I think that's an excellent idea! I wonder what the reception would be for each signature restaurant to have one adult only night a week.

Parks will never be child free, nor do I think they should be. Although I like where you are going with your "ME" day.:rotfl:

Goofster
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I can only assume you and those who feel the way you do either discount the Disney Cruise Line as "not Disney" or do not plan to ever cruise with them as they have adult-only sections and restaurants.

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. The general conscenus appears to be that adults-only restaurants are fine (so long as it remains within reason), but closing a park for the day is a little too much.

Goes4FastPass
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
This new rule makes sense 100%. The write-up in CNN.com quoted a WDW spokesperson as saying there are 97 other full service restaurants at WDW.

There are some parents who think everything their little D-whatevers do is appropriate and charming.

I love my rambuncious toddler grandson as much as any grandpa could but I'm not going to take him to V&As 'til he's older.

I have a co-worker who says he dated his wife before he married her and doesn't plan to "date" her again until his kids are grown. I don't know wheather to congratulate him or feel sorry for her.

My wife and I dined alone one night at o'Hana. We were seated near the "MC" and he apologized to us for being right in the middle of the coconut races, hula dancing and all other o'Hana activities. I told him, "It's entirely fine...we weren't expecting Victoria and Alberts."

ElenitaB
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
It's great that this discussion has remained friendly and on topic for three pages now, please let's make sure that we keep it that way. We do understand the need to make one's feelings felt, but please let's keep the tone of our discussion civilized and respectful.

KAT1811
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
To my fellow Intercoters,

I would like to apologize to anyone I might have offended by any of my opinions. I was told, ever so inelequently, that I was malicious and rude in my stating that I feel that Walt would be horrified at the exclusion of children from his parks if even for a day. I would like to again state that these are only my opinions and I am in no way attempting to "speak for a dead man". I love Intercot and the occassional volly of radically different views. Unfortunatly I highly offended someone (not the op) and that was by no means my intent. There was absolutly no malice behind my words and I hope you all know that.

-Kimberly

irish1967
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with the policy.

Money aside, my DH and I choose not to go to V & A's for our anniversary trip because we didn't want to have to dress up that much :mickey:

Adults let children behave inappropriately all over the place at WDW, not just at restaurants. I admire Disney for saying "we'll give a place where adults can go and enjoy a meal without a misbehaving child sitting next to them."

By the way, I don't blame the children for this - I blame the adults who are with them!

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I think this is an appropriate policy.

I wouldn't mind seeing it expanded to a few other locations.

PattySwind
01-09-2008, 02:07 PM
This thread is very interesting. I totally agree with the ban on children. After spending all day in the parks surrounded by screaming kids and having my ankles hit by baby strollers I would welcome a quiet evening alone with my DH or adult DD. I wouldn't go to a place like V&A's. Seems to stuffy to me. I don't think I even own proper enough clothes to go there. I just think it's ridulous to spend that kind of money on food, and three hours to sit around and eat??? :confused: Never.

SurferStitch
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I just think it's ridulous to spend that kind of money on food, and three hours to sit around and eat??? :confused: Never.

To each his own.

Be nice, and don't put people down who do enjoy a gourmet meal. Just because you don't appreciate it, doesn't make it ridiculous.

KAT1811
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Remember people are very touchy here.

vamaggie
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I think the policy is completely within bounds. In today's world, there are too many parents who don't parent and allow kids to do whatever they want, whereever they want and feel children should be allowed to do everything they want. Sometimes society (or a corporation) has to set very specific rules and limits so that those folks who may not have a lot of common sense don't ruin experiences for others. Kids can't drive, can't smoke, can't drink alcohol--all rules some parents would/do discount if they feel like it. Having one very expensive, very gourmet restaurant deemed adults only does not seem too restrictive to me. If you have kids, eat somewhere else. If you really want to eat at V&A's, get a sitter or wait (another concept lost on a lot of today's society) til they are older and would appreciate it. Hope I do not offend anyone, just an opinion.

IamaDisneyFan
01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm a little afraid to post my opinion, but here goes. I am not sure what the big deal is with 1 very nice, fancy restaurant asking that children not be allowed to eat there. There are several rides that children are not allowed because they are too young. This is just one more place to add to the list. The children are not being deprived, there are other restaurants to eat in. As a parent of 2 active children, I understand the need to get away from noise and have a relaxing dinner without any young ones around. So, that's my :twocents:

Noahrk
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Respect everyone's opinions here- it is my opinion that there are some children that can and do enjoy that kind of dining experience-usually children of the parents that can afford the amount of money. Personally, I would never spend that kind of $$$ on a dinner when there are hungry people- and that kind of $$ for alcohol and food could feed several hungry families including children. I just can't ever justify ever spending that amount no matter what the "special adults only" occassion may be. That being said, Disney is for children-go to adults only resort if you don't want to be around kids both good and misbehaved!

thrillme
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't say I would or wouldn't spend the money (provided I actually HAD it to spend:blush:...Disney trips are always on a budget for me)...

I did take my parents out to a nice steak house around town (Ruth Cris). My DS had just turned 11. He didn't need a jacket but he did wear nice dress pants and a dress shirt. He ordered the Lobster and really enjoyed all the posh attention from the wait staff (and of course the gushing from Grandma)...It was indeed a very "nice" experience. My parents really felt special (it was their 50th anniversary). It was very expensive. But...I could easily see how someone could be quite PLEASED with the experience. Although my DS enjoyed it and totally relished the lobster...I know he would have preferred some ribs at Texas Roadhouse wearing jeans. So age 10 and up...sounds rather fair.

IF I had the money would I do it....Would I splurge on a night at V&A...hmmm...that IF I had the money part is sorta holding me back from a decision...but definately NOT if my DS was too young to "appreciate" it. It's hard to "justify" the $$ for me but then I really just don't have it.

But too...compare staying at the POP verses staying at the Grand Floridian. If you have the money and the true desire...a dream is a wish your heart makes.

KateMW
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
To each his own.

Be nice, and don't put people down who do enjoy a gourmet meal. Just because you don't appreciate it, doesn't make it ridiculous.

Exactly...to each their own. I don't put people down for NOT spending money, why is it ok for people to comment on how I spend mind? Eating out, trying new restaurants, wine...those are all hobbies for me and my DH. Just like going to Disney multiple times a year, scrapbooking, restoring cars, playing video games are for other people. I don't fault anybody for what they choose to spend their money on...except maybe video games. LOL That's just because I'm really bad at them! The best thing about the world is people can do what they please with their own money and time.

KAT1811
01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Why is it that people find a posters free expression of their opinion a personal attack? I think you might find my thread in the Water Cooler helpful.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123495

Goofster
01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
To each his own.

No personal attacks were made, so your comment is slightly out of line. To flip the coin, the same could be said that you're putting people down that would prefer not to spend $300 on a meal. Just because we would prefer not to, doesn't mean we don't 'appreciate' a gourmet meal.

Hammer
01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Moderator Alert :chef: :ref: :chef:

Okay, everyone, I want both sides of this discussion to take a breath. The attacks from both ends are getting a bit heated. There isn't a right or wrong to this discussion, just opinion. Let's all remember that.

Hammer
01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, now that I gave my moderator warning, let me give my opinion. I think this is a good policy. While WDW does market to families, it does a lot of marketing as a honeymoon destination as well. The place big colorful ads in bridal magazines toting how "romantic" WDW can be. Couples strolling along the beach at the Poly or GF, enjoying a cabana at the GF pool, playing a round of golf and having a romantic candlelit dinner. There isn't one child in any of these photographs. What WDW is trying to sell is that you do not have to always do things for kids; that you can combine the 2 things into a WDW vacation. It allows for the best of both worlds.

conorsmom2000
01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I just thought I'd share my opinion as well, which is...I guess that I don't really have one! :blush: V&A's just is not a place where I'd ever want to dine, but especially on vacation. First, I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money on a dinner - I tend to be too practical that way (I can just see myself sitting there thinking "Do you know how many pairs of shoes I could have gotten for this money??" :D ) And, I'm not the type that wants to get dressed up on vacation! We all have different ideas of vacations and what we hope to get out of them and V&A's isn't it.....for us! But, I think it's wonderful that they have the experience for people that will truly enjoy it. Now that being said, it just doesn't seem to me to be a place I'd want to bring my child - and again, especially on vacation. When we go to WDW it's for the atmosphere - but the Chef Mickey's, Whispering Canyon, 50's Prime Time Cafe atmosphere - things that truly make us feel like we're in Disney and not places that are similar to what we have at home. If we want to go to a fancy restaurant, Mike and I can go into NYC and have our pick of them - it's just not something I want to do on vacation (and again - that's just us). I think some children could handle it, some couldn't. And Conor actually could - we've been going out to dinner (often! :blush: ) since he was an infant so it's not a new or overwhelming experience for him. And we are always prepared - check the back of my car and you'll find "the backpack" - the one with books, crayons, paper, markers, packages of goldfish, wet one's - you name it! :D But, bottom line, though it's not our choice, I think having 1 adult only option at WDW is a great choice for many others that go to Disney.

I think part of the problem for me is the use of the word "banned". As a parent, I think it's in my nature to want my son to be able to experience a wide variety of things - and knowing he is banned from someplace, well, feels personal. But, I truly understand why they are doing it and I think it's a great option for diners, especially those that want the experience that V&A offers to them. But, constantly reading the word "banned" does grate on me a little. :blush:

crazypoohbear
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I have kids and I stayed at home to raise them. I do NOT think the parks should go "adult only" ever.

I DO however, think that an adult only restaurant is a great idea.
I dined in Palo on the ship with my DH, DSis and her DH. our other sis watched the kids,
( I too would not leave them with a stranger hundreds of miles from home.)

There has to be some place for the adults to go to wine and dine loved ones without kids around. IT is a magical place for Everyone!
I don't think the kids would mind being excluded from having to dress up fancy on vacation.

BrownEyedGrrl
01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
My thoughts are this:

1.) it's only one restaurant out of hundreds- and one that is waaaaay out of my price bracket anywhoo (I don't care how good it is! :D). With all the other choices there for a nice dining experience, I won't miss out by not being able to take my whole family in there for another 6 years (and even then, it's highly unlikely).

2.) i would be absolutely SHOCKED that there would be even one child out there that would have their vacation day ruined because they weren't going to be allowed into a place where they had to sit still, talk quietly, and act like a grown-up. ;)

3.) if Disney says that only about three families per month were bringing young children in, and still they invoked a ban- well, then that should tell you what kind of behavior other patrons were exposed to thrice monthly. :)

4.) WDW is a business. There's no way they went into this lightly. For all the people who are upset by this, I would imagine there is at least one other who will now dine there that wouldn't have before. And many more who don't care either way.

Cinderelley
01-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't have an opinion about this either way. It's unfortunate for some children, but not for most, and I don't think it will really bother those few children that would have enjoyed a restaurant like that. Out of all of my children, I think there is only one who would enjoy eating here. He's the only adventurous eater in the family. He's 16 now, but he would've been able to act appropriately when he was younger than 10. But, the good of the one must be sacrificed for the good of the many, and he thoroughly enjoys a more relaxed atmosphere too. In fact, his request is to go back to Whispering Canyon Cafe.

If I lived in Orlando, my DH & I might go to V&A's on a date some nights, but while I'm on vacation, I'm not sure that I would want to spend 3 hours eating while I could be spending it riding Pirates or Splash.

On our next trip, I want an adults-only night with a "romantic" dinner at a table by the water in the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot. Will there be children there? Yes. Will they be misbehaving? It's a possibility. But it won't be my kids that I'll have to worry about, so it probably won't bother me. If it's way out of hand and is bothering us, we'll just say something to the kid and/or parents (depending on the age).

I find it astonishing that so many people have no problems with voicing their opinions on here, but wouldn't say something to a child and/or parents of a child who was acting inappropriately. It takes a village to raise a child.

LibertyTreeGal
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
DH saw this on the AP the other day and was very smug that he knew something Disney that I didn't. LOL

Anyway, I think it is a good decision. I would be livid to go there and have to deal with a screaming baby.

Oh, and to the previous poster, Villages get beaten, villified, slandered and sued over trying to raise other peoples children nowadays ;) -- even here on Intercot! No matter how nicely it is done, things can get ugly quickly. People are weird about their kids....

BouncingTigger
01-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I completely agree with this policy, but wish it would extend to other restaurants too. Not everyone can afford a V&A meal. My bf and I are college students - no way could we afford a meal in the hundreds of dollars! I think if they don't want to make any more adults only restaurants, they should have "adults only nights" at certain restaurants (ones that are more affordable than V&A). It doesn't seem fair that to get away from kids for a while, you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a meal. It only allows rich people the luxury of a quiet adult meal.

I also love the idea of an "Adults Only" day at the parks! But again, that will probably never happen. They should at least occasionally have a few hours after park closing that are for adults only. Kind of like EMH for adults!

Disney bills itself as a vacation for everyone and claims that a romantic vacation can be had at WDW. It's about time they start putting that into action!

Cinderelley
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh, and to the previous poster, Villages get beaten, villified, slandered and sued over trying to raise other peoples children nowadays ;) -- even here on Intercot! No matter how nicely it is done, things can get ugly quickly. People are weird about their kids....

I've known that to happen, but I don't let it stop me. What's right is right. The last time I had a rude parent berate me for interfering with their child was when a 3-year-old ran out in front of my van while I was driving down the street - no adults around. His older brother (about 5) came running up to get him. We had a nice walk up to their house, so I could speak to their parents. We discussed how you need to watch for cars before entering the street. The parents of course yelled at me - apparently in their opinion I needed to pay more attention while driving down the road. In my opinion, of course, they needed to pay more attention to where their small children were. After a while, they calmed down and I found out that just a little while before we showed up they had discovered the kids were missing and were panicking. So, sometimes that anger is just a temporarily misplaced emotion. And, if it's not, at least the kids have heard/seen/been modeled in someway what is appropriate behavior.

nu2mousehouse
01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
1st of all, I support the policy. I have been to V&A once and it was a nice, quiet adult environment. That said, I don't think it should spread too far to others in WDW, odds are they would up the cost to eat there, one could probably expect a 10 - 15% jump in price for the "exclusivity". Restaurants usually price with some consideration of who will come in, and families, tend to be at least a bit budget conscious. Though I do think it is a good suggestion that there might be another adult's only joint, but one that doesn't cost $125 a plate.

My only soapbox comment is when we start saying adult only, we begin to open the door to exclude someone, what's the next demographic? That just doesn't ring true to me with Walt's vision. I know I can't go ask him if I'm right, but it's my opinion.

Scott

SurferStitch
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
It doesn't seem fair that to get away from kids for a while, you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a meal. It only allows rich people the luxury of a quiet adult meal.

I had to giggle at this.....DH and I were also poor college kids at one time in our life together. Ah, those memories.

But....we are not rich, and we still can afford V&A. It's just part of the WDW budget we establish before each trip (even though we have a very loose budget, and usually blow past it during the trip).

Just hang it there....money will come. :thumbsup:

Jared
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
My opinion about this issue is virtually irrelevant, but I support this policy. I have never, and probably will never, enjoy a meal at Victoria & Albert's simply because I am not a gourmet diner.

Still, from what I know about the restaurant, I can't imagine it's an appropriate place for children, anyway. Victoria & Albert's is a special place for adults. So much of Walt Disney World is specifically geared toward kids, and I have absolutely no problem with the decision to ban them from one of the fanciest restaurants in the country. Honestly, I always thought young people felt awkward and uncomfortable at most of the signature restaurants like California Grill and Jiko.