PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Question

SoaringDisney
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
My brother-in-law went to Disney back in December. He showed me pictures and briefly told me about an event in MGM. He said that somewhere around the Star Wars ride kids were being trained w/ lightsavers to be jedi fighters and eventually got the chance to confront Darth Vader. That sounds pretty cool. My family will be visiting Disney in April and I am wondering if anyone knows if this will be a continuous event. I know that my nephew would love to have the chance to fight the ultimate bad guy, Darth Vader.

Strmchsr
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
It's called "Jedi Academy" and, yes, it's an ongoing show that takes place right next to Star Tours in Disney Hollywood Studios.

From Info Central:

Jedi Training Academy
Description: Young Padawans learn Lightsaber skills that they get to try out against an evil Sith Lord.
Duration: 20 minutes
Typical Number of Showings: Eight Times Daily
Typical Showing Time Period: Between 11:30 am – 7:00 pm

MickeyMousse
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
If you are a Star Wars fan, it's worth hanging around and watching. We thought it was really cute and although neither of my DS's were chosen to participate, they liked watching the lessons and duel with Darth Vader! :yoda:

SoaringDisney
01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much. That information is really helpful and hopefully my Star Wars loving nephew will have a chance to participate.

MushuMulan
01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
You should also tell him about the Star Wars festival that goes on in MGM during the summer. There's a parade, you see all the characters, behind the scenes looks, talks with the actors etc. All in all, a really great experience if you enjoyed the movies.

I went to it last summer, I can't remember the exact date but I believe it was around mid to late June.

The only downside is the park is usually more crowded on those days, although I found it wasn't so bad that it made our experience any less fun.

brownie
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
We saw Jedi Training Academy at Disneyland last June, and it's a good interactive show. I'm looking forward to catching at Disney Hollywood Studios the next time we go to Walt Disney World.

They hold Star Wars Weekends in May and June at Disney Hollywood Studios.

DDuck66
01-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Last year, they Star Wars Weekends were only held in June, and I believe that the same is planned for this year. It is a great event and well worth making a summer trip to the world. If you can, make sure that you get there before the park opens. They have Storm Trropers and other SW Villains patrolling the tops of the buildings and catwalks as you enter the studios.

d_m_n_n
01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
If your nephew loves Star Wars, definitely check out the Training Academy. This was the highlight of DSs trip! DS10 was selected (DS6 is shy and didn't want to try) and loved every minute of it. If your nephew doesn't get selected at first, try returning to another show. I know the Jedi Master picked someone because they weren't chosen earlier in the day. :)

MOJoe
01-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Last June, my DS 9 really wanted to get chosen for Jedi Training Academy. We tried several times on the Very Busy Star Wars Weekends, but to no avail. We went on a less crowded mid-week day, and on the second attempt he was selected. Much to my relief.
This really is a once in a lifetime kinda thing, as the Jedi Master asks that those who have gone through the training give those who have not, a chance. My advice is to get to the stage 10 minutes early - or more depending on the crowd. You need to be close to the front, and it helps to wave your arms and jump up and down. Again, if you are not chosen the first time, come back for the next session. The Jedi Master will remember you if you make an impression the first time.