PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with glasses..

threeh
01-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I just got glasses about a year ago and I just ordered some prescription sun glasses for my upcoming diney trip. I'm curious how to swing this. I can see without my glasses, I just get a headache when I don't wear them. Do you carry your regular glasses to wear inside or just leave the sunglasses on?? I'm planning on carrying a rather small purse and (woo hoo) first time without a stoller so I'm just trying to figure out how to work glasses and sunglasses.

Thanks for any info!!:thumbsup:

Jimenyfan
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
DH brings both his regular glasses and sunglasses with him to the parks. I always carry whatever glasses he is not wearing in my fanny pack. It can be a pain constantly switching glasses and sun glasses but it pales in comparision to the problems he would have if he didn't have both pair, ie: extreme headaches.

kakn7294
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I've never had prescription sunglasses but if I did, I would have to carry 2 separate pairs - sunglasses for outside and regular glasses for inside. I tried Transitions lenses about year ago but went back to plain lenses because I couldn't stand the darker lenses inside until they readjusted. Not only couldn't I see properly, I felt like a complete dork with dark lenses inside. And outside, they didn't get dark enough to function as sunglasses anyway.

Itchy
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
My glasses have the transition lens which change from sunglasses to regular glasses when you are inside. I takes a couple of minutes for the full change to take place though.

In the past I carried two pair of glasses when I worked the road as a police officer and it was a real pain changing back and forth. Since I have changed to the transition lens I have a lot less stress over glasses.

One foot note: I still need clip on sunglassses when I drive due to the UV protection on the windshields of the newer automobiles.

Other than that no problem.

brogan54
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
in the past i too carried 2 pairs but for the last 3 trips i have had transitions lenses and it is great highly recommend them:number1:

dolphinmickey9170
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I carried both regular glasses and prescription sunglasses using one case. I kept the case in my fanny pack. It works best for me as I get migraines easily and wouldn't ever think of not having sunnies!! Then I got new glasses and didn't get sunnies. I bought the little clip on lenses and that takes less space than a full case to carry. These are just a couple of options. Honestly, I am going back to the two pair of glasses.

magicofdisney
01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I've never had prescription sunglasses but if I did, I would have to carry 2 separate pairs - sunglasses for outside and regular glasses for inside. I tried Transitions lenses about year ago but went back to plain lenses because I couldn't stand the darker lenses inside until they readjusted. Not only couldn't I see properly, I felt like a complete dork with dark lenses inside. And outside, they didn't get dark enough to function as sunglasses anyway.
These are some of the same reasons I don't like my transition glasses. They really are not as effective as traditional sunglasses. And sometimes they seem to take forever transitioning back after I go inside a building.

To the OP, in the past I've just taken two pair with me and traded off as needed. The option of a clip on was my favorite route. But one time I lost the clip on case at Universal on the Back to the Future ride. Luckily, it was turned in immediately and I got them back. Keeping up with them can be a pain, but you do what you got to do, especially in this FL sun.

drhama
01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I am also trying to decide what to do about the glasses thing. I will be getting new ones before our next trip but still think I will take 2 pair. The clip on things are just as big a pain as switching to a different pair. The only up side to the clip ons is that they are smaller.

kakn7294
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
The clip on things are just as big a pain as switching to a different pair. The only up side to the clip ons is that they are smaller.I agree that the clip-ons are a pain. I have those too and don't use them either. They make my glasses too heavy and uncomfortable and I hate carrying them around.

drummerboy
01-06-2008, 12:46 AM
My transition lenses work pretty quickly I guess, because I hardly ever notice them, except that I'm not squinting when I go outside. If you've got prescription sunglasses already though, I'd go with the suggestion to keep them in a case in your fanny pack and just switch them around while you wait in line.

mrsgaribaldi
01-06-2008, 05:17 AM
When I wore glasses I had the transition lenses too. They were the best:thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
01-06-2008, 09:27 AM

I didn't like the transition lenses for the same reasons. It's been a few years since I've had them, but at the time, I couldn't stand them.

I don't wear my regular glasses all the time (I'm supposed to, I just don't... :blush: :secret: ) For the most part I can see without them - just not as well as I can with them! :D But, I have to drive with glasses so I always have both my regular glasses and perscription sunglasses with me and trade off as needed. I get massive headaches if I'm out in the sun with out sunglasses (whether perscription or not) so carrying both works best for me - honestly it's no big deal to switch and they don't take up much room.

DrWorm2008
01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I have transition lenses, and I'll admit that they take a long time to adjust. I wear contacts most of the time, and especially at Disney. :mickey:
Usually it's pretty hot, so wearing glasses at Disney is a total pain because their always sliding down my nose when I sweat. I take along a pair of POLARIZED sunglasses, because in Florida (and California, for that matter), the sun can be pretty harsh, and polarized lenses cut the glare off of objects (especially water).:cool:

KEYONNAH
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I have prescription sunglasses as well as my regular glasses. I carry both with me when I'm out.

January-2007
01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I've always had transition lenses, I think they're fabulous. I would hate to have to keep switching glasses.

Disney Doll
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't make it without something on so I'm always switching back and forth. I carry a case and keep whichever pair I'm not wearing in my bag. Maybe one day I'll get Lasik, but eye surgery just sounds scary.

jszczur5
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I just got glasses about a year ago and I just ordered some prescription sun glasses for my upcoming diney trip. I'm curious how to swing this. I can see without my glasses, I just get a headache when I don't wear them. Do you carry your regular glasses to wear inside or just leave the sunglasses on?? I'm planning on carrying a rather small purse and (woo hoo) first time without a stoller so I'm just trying to figure out how to work glasses and sunglasses.

Thanks for any info!!:thumbsup:

I have to take both my sunglasses and regular glasses with me. There are some attractions which are just too dark to see if I leave my sunglasses on and I must switch to my regular clear lenses. I keep my sunglasses on a string, and just let them dangle around my neck while I wear my clear lenses. And then, as soon as we get back outside, I put my sunglasses back on and have to put my clear glasses in my purse. My clear glasses are transition lenses which mean that they go from clear to tinted, but they don't get anywhere near dark enough for me to navigate around in the bright Florida sunshine.

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I usually switch back and forth, although some attractions are more fun with sunglasses on(like Space Mountain)!!!

J9
01-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm like you - I can get by just fine without my glasses but after awhile it starts to give me a headache.

I do carry both prescription glasses and sunglasses with me in the park. Generally I use the sunglasses most of the time. By this point in my DIsney life, I know how long each attraction is and how it's set up. If it's something long and drawn out or where it's really dark I'll switch to my regular glasses. Otherwise, I'll just go au naturale until I get back outside.

For example - if I'm seeing American Adventure, you better believe my glasses are going on. If I'm going on the Winnie the Pooh ride, I'll just go bare-faced. I hope this helps!!

disneydeb
01-09-2008, 05:57 AM
OK I'm old and I'm a self-admitted DORK. I wear my regular lenses and a pair of sunglasses MADE to go over my glasses at the same time when I'm out and about. Clip on are a pain Transition lenses look too dark in pictures and they don't offer polarized lenses.My polarized over sun glasses only costs about $20 at Wal-Mart.
I have WAY gotten over being dorky.:cool:

katzctkpt
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I have contact lenses and don't know what I'd do if I had to start wearing glasses. I do wear sunglasses which I put on top of my head indoors and down when out. Have you ever thought about getting contacts? Then you'd only have to worry about a pair of sunglasses non prescription and they wouldn't cost an arm and leg to replace in case you lost them.

threeh
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks to all for the info. My glasses case actually fits in the purse I'm planning on taking, so I'll just bring 2 pairs. Thanks again to all:thumbsup: