PDA

View Full Version : Another Football Question

The Reservoir Dog
01-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Many thanks for those who replied to my previous question. Yes I find the whole Bowl rankings very confusing.

But here's another question for you all regarding the Superbowl.

Seeing as it will always be between the AFC & NFC champions we will never have an Indianapolis v New England final or a Dallas v Washington final for example.

What does everyone think that when it comes to the playoffs that the conference thing goes out of the window and either a draw is made once it gets to the last eight or that according to their records the last eight teams are seeded and then 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 etc.

This way there would be chance to have different Superbowl finalist combinations which won't necessarily be between an AFC team and a NFC team.

These are just a couple of ideas. What does everybody think?

kakn7294
01-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I think the way the current system works is probably about as fair as it's going to get. There's never going to be a perfect system for football as it's basically one-and-done. Even the #1 seeded team can lose their first playoff game and be out. Unless there were a system of a "best of" series (which would take forever and never work), this is it. It pretty much works the same with baseball, basketball, and hockey except they have series of games. It's still divided by divisions and conferences so some teams will never play each other for the championship, only for the right to be in the championship game.

BMan62
01-05-2008, 08:29 AM
In a perfect world, the match ups you suggest would actually happen in the Divisional Championship game. Granted, this is not THE Super Bowl, but can often times be a better game than what you get for the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl was actually created to pit the best team from the old AFL against the best team from the NFL. When the two leagues merged into what is the current NFL, they kept the game, but lost some of the meaning behind it.

#1donaldfan
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree with the above......sometimes the AFC/NFC championship games are better than the superbowl....lately, the AFC has been so strong that the NFC just doesn't have a chance.....when you watch the NFC championship game it's a very good game, then they go to the big one and just fall apart....the current system seems to me, the best system possible with the short time frame of the professional season....

GO STEELERS........Jacksonville handed us our "rear" a couple of weeks ago, but not tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: