PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Controversy

*tinker_belle*
01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
I just heard on the news that Disney is thinking about censoring parts of the Haunted Mansion cast member dialogue. So that it doesn't contain lines like "drag your wretched bodies to the dead center of the room" and "follow the blood red carpet into the foyer" among others...
Ridiculous if you ask me. Who on earth would find this offensive? It's part of the theming...for gosh sakes.

Ian
01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

A., I don't think the man who reported this (who may or may not be the not-so-reliable Jim Hill) reported it correctly. This is a WDI driven project related to guest experience. It's not about complaints or any PC-related changes.

and

B. From what I hear, the most popular lines will be incorporated into the script, a la Jungle Cruise.

This is (again, from what I hear) an effort by WDI to give guests a more consistent experience on each visit to the Mansion.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I understand the need for consistency, on the one hand you want to make sure all guests receive the same experience. However this also makes for a bland experience for both cast members and guests. The exact same lines over and over again. One of the things that keep guests returning is the creativity of cast members. If there is no outlet for the creative cast member it will show in their work (they won't enjoy the job), guests will quickly get bored with the same experience over and over. It won't be long before everyone leaves including die hard fans. :mickey:

MegaDisney
01-07-2008, 03:28 PM
A big to do about nothing as far as I am concerned, and as Ian stated it has to do with guest experience and nothing to do with "complaints".

NotaGeek
01-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I understand the need for consistency, on the one hand you want to make sure all guests receive the same experience. However this also makes for a bland experience for both cast members and guests. The exact same lines over and over again. One of the things that keep guests returning is the creativity of cast members. If there is no outlet for the creative cast member it will show in their work (they won't enjoy the job), guests will quickly get bored with the same experience over and over. It won't be long before everyone leaves including die hard fans. :mickey:

IMHO it would be MUCH better if the experience on Haunted Mansion was consistent, over creative. Sometimes the CMs are great, and really into the role, but most of the times they are 1/2 interested and just seem to be waiting for the next break so they can send their next text message. I doubt anyone will stop going on Haunted Mansion due to the 2 minutes that you have contact with a CM during the stretching room.

More of the "leaked" and highly untrustworthy information is that the CMs will be required to do some minor acting classes to better allow them to feel their part of the ride ... I say BRAVO if it's true!

thrillme
01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd like to see consistency ONLY if the CM in charge has no "creativity" in their system. I am probably one that would love to see a "different" ride each time I visited it.

On the Jungle Cruise some CM's throw in a little "extra". I've gotten off of one boat and onto another and gotten a much better cruise.

I think in some areas Disney really needs to "spice" things up a bit.

*tinker_belle*
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
The way i heard it, it sounded like people were actually offended by the things CM's said as part of the pre-ride dialogue. I didn't know it was a consistency thing. Usually you don't get the same kind of CM every ride anyway so they all say something a little different. Some are lacking enthusiasm and some act like they are in a movie. Same with ToT. I like the CM's who get into character.

BklynChick
01-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I first heard about this story on TMZ earlier this week. Let me get this straight...someone who is going into a haunted mansion is offended by talk about blood and death? That's kinda like riding IASW and complaining that some of the songs aren't in English. Or riding Splash Mountain and complaing about getting too wet :D

If it is about "consistency", then incorporate these favorites into a script. Why rewrite the book when it has worked so well thus far?

doombuggy
02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
There are some great responses here. I agree with what has been said by all of you. This is my favorite attraction, and to be honest, I don't pay much attention to the cast...:blush:

Sometimes the CMs are great, and really into the role, but most of the times they are 1/2 interested and just seem to be waiting for the next break so they can send their next text message. While I have "seen" this here in FL, I don't think it's the majority. Speaking as a middle aged person who doesn't have texting on my cell....:funny: