PDA

View Full Version : Victoria & Albert's Institutes Guests 10 and Up Only Policy

Figment!
01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
No Young Children at Victoria & Albert's

by Scott Powers
Orlando Sentinel's Tourism Central Florida
January 4, 2008

In a move to create at least one intimate, adult dining establishment on its property, Walt Disney World has banned young children from its swankiest restaurant, Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian Spa and Resort.

Effective Jan. 1, children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the AAA five-diamond restaurant known for its Iranian caviar and Muscovy duck .

Not counting the adult-only policies at nightclubs at Downtown Disney's Pleasure Island, the move is the first time Disney World has set restrictions against young children for a dining or entertainment establishment.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the move is being made because of guests' requests. Victoria & Albert's has long been cool toward young children, offering a fixed-price menu and no children's dishes.

"We find that our guests are really looking for an intimate experience and an adult-oriented atmosphere, and we want to make sure we meet those expectations," Prunty said.

murphy1
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I didn't know they allowed kids at all, I mean you kind of figure it from the menu and prices. I saw a video on You Tube of this family taking their three kids to the Chef's Table at V&A, I couldn't even imagine! But the kids ate the food. I am hopeful this is the only place in WDW that would do this, Disney is first and foremost a place for families.

SBETigg
01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I can't imagine that many people even try to bring kids to V & A to necessitate a formal ban, but it doesn't bother me that they would do it. I think it's nice to have a few places on property for adults without kids.

My parents would have brought me when I was a kid. They brought me everywhere and I was a well-behaved, adventurous eater. They would have hated the idea of keeping kids out. Now that I'm a parent, I feel differently on the topic. There are some places that I don't bring kids out of respect for other eaters, or cost in the case of V & A. V & A is just not kid-friendly, even for sophisticated kids who might appreciate it.

At Disney, I really don't expect to not find kids-- but I normally do appreciate going out for the occasional adult evening without my kids and not being sat right next to the table of people who decided to bring theirs.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I would have thought this was the case here long ago. I would have been very irritated eating (and paying) there while someone else's kid ran around my table. I also agree this should probably be the only restaurant on property that has this rule. But...imagine a quiet, serene Coral Reef dinner. Wouldn't that be nice too?

murphy1
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
My parents would have brought me when I was a kid. They brought me everywhere and I was a well-behaved, adventurous eater. They would have hated the idea of keeping kids out. Now that I'm a parent, I feel differently on the topic. There are some places that I don't bring kids out of respect for other eaters, or cost in the case of V & A. V & A is just not kid-friendly, even for sophisticated kids who might appreciate it.

ITA Sherri, this is my case. I know what my kids are and aren't capable of at certain ages, so I just go with that. My sister and I got "the Look" from my parents if we even thought of stepping out of line. I also haven't brought the 3 yo, just my 6 and 8 yo on trips, b/c I knew what that entailed if we were going somewhere she'd start getting a little antsy.

As far as the theme parks, kids are allowed everywhere. Some of those parents might be like me, without a babysitter and this might be the only meal they are getting to eat out for awhile.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I thought that this was already the case...I didn't know that kids were allowed at V&A's.

I hope that this is the only place they "ban" children...Disney is a family place after all. But, I agree 100% that V&A's isn't a place for kids, and I guess having the policy reduces any chance of friction and frustration with guests.

Ian
01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I have to be honest ... we eat at a lot of the higher end restaurants in Disney (although never V&A's) and I've really never had any people's kids bother me. Maybe I've been too busy watching my own, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm fine with it. There should be a place or two on property where adults can go for some peace. ;)

poeticeclipse
01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't know of ANY child 10 and younger who would understand and appreciate V&A fully. Is the "ban" a proper thing to do? Well, I don't know about that but I don't exactly have a problem with it.

I can't imagine parents complaining about not being able to take their children to a very formal eatery and forking out extra money for a child who probably won't like what they are eating anyway. V&A has a certain 'quality' about it that makes it so special.

I know that if I were a diner at V&A, I wouldn't want little rugrats interrupting my dinner.

adoptionislove
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I know that if I were a diner at V&A, I wouldn't want little rugrats interrupting my dinner.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, we were ALL little at one time or another!!!:D

Sorry, I just HAD to say it!!!

PeterPan
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
More power to 'em!

Maybe this is a move to gradually ban children from WDW altogether (just kidding.)

adoptionislove
01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey Peterpan,

I noticed you are in Gainesville! We are in Plano. We will be in your neck of the woods tom (Sanger). Take care

kakn7294
01-05-2008, 01:28 AM
I actually had never considered taking my kids to V&A but mostly because I had never thought about going myself. Other people's kids generally don't bother me and my kids go nearly everywhere with me. I think there are some kids who could appreciate the experience. My oldest DD loves food and would have been able to fully enjoy V&A by the age of 8 or 9 and would have been very well-behaved. The youngest, at 8 now, still would not appreciate it or be well-behaved (at least for that long) and I would never consider taking her until she's much older and has settled down (or we have enough sedatives for all the other diners and V&A staff). It all depends on the kid. Regardless, I don't have a problem with an adult-only policy.

Dixie Springs
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
In a trade-off to appease the furious 10 and under crowd, nobody over the age of 10 will be allowed on Small World.

murphy1
01-05-2008, 03:01 PM
In a trade-off to appease the furious 10 and under crowd, nobody over the age of 10 will be allowed on Small World.

Haha that's too easy:D
I know a couple of guys I used to date that still aren't old enough to eat at V&A!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Believe it or not, this is now (evening, 1/5/08) one of the headline stories for the online version of the Chicago Tribune. They must be really hurting for news.

SBETigg
01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Haha that's too easy:D
I know a couple of guys I used to date that still aren't old enough to eat at V&A!

:D

teambricker04
01-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Funny :)

I would never have ever even thought to bring my kids. We can barley make it through McDonalds sometimes!

The AP article has a quote from a woman (Rosemary Rose) who is a VP or something of dining who basically stated that only about three families a month ever brought kids into V&As. What? Then why bother making a policy that get such attention? Wouldn't it be easier to seclude annoying, bratty little kids? Hmmmpf. I can just picture the marketing department scrambling.

SBETigg
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Funny :)
The AP article has a quote from a woman (Rosemary Rose) who is a VP or something of dining who basically stated that only about three families a month ever brought kids into V&As. What? Then why bother making a policy that get such attention? Wouldn't it be easier to seclude annoying, bratty little kids? Hmmmpf. I can just picture the marketing department scrambling.

On the contrary, it's probably a very smart marketing move to entice more of the travelers without kids. WDW is already well-established in the family travel market and in the honeymoon travel market, but why not get the word out to more adult travelers to say "hey, we're not all about the family market- there's more to see here!"

Especially with the baby boomer market coming to retirement age. They might bring their kids and grandkids and want a night alone, or they might decide on a trip without kids, and this would encourage them to think of Disney World as a vacation destination. At the same time, families know there are plenty of places for them at WDW and they aren't really alienating anyone. It's a win-win.

firefan43
01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
although I totally agree that many people do keep their kids well behaved, I have also seen MANY parents at Disney who let their children do whatever they want, regardless of where they were. We were at the french restaurant and there was a woman in there with three kids...two of them boys probably around the 6 or 7 year old range and they were playing tag. running up and down between the rows of tables. the woman just sat there and ate. Another time we were at Artists Point and there was a family with a young girl who was SCREAMING because she wanted something to eat that wasnt on the menu.

Polynesian Dweller
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
This sounds like a very good move for this particular restaurant though it wouldn't be appropriate for others. This is a a very high end restaurant and caters to a clientelle that wants the ultimate in elegant dining.

Disney is likely doing a marketing move to say to that level guest (remember it serves $100/half ounce caviar) will be more willing to book if they can be assured that the elegance they are paying for will not be disturbed.

Too expensive for me but I can sure see how this would be a very special dinner that adults would want to go just right.

thrillme
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Sigh...I don't really see being able to afford V&A anyway. It seems a bit pricey in comparison.

There are sooo many resturants available at Disney...so they make one "Adult Only"...I just don't think it's a big deal. I've taken my DS into a fine expensive resturant before for a "special" occasion. Of course he was old enough to know that certian behavior was totally unacceptable. But then I've expected certian behavior out of him early on or we went outside or didn't go at all.

But I've seen my share of kids that need to be taken "behind the barn" and have a little discussion about manners. I shudder to think what would become of me should I have "acted up" after the "icey stare", you know...THE "look" my mother gave me if even the "thought" of acting up even caused my pinky to twitch out of line.

I tell you that my Mom perfected the "LOOK" so intensly it could turn a person to stone.

But some people really like that "romantic" intimate setting. Let them have it. There's plenty of places for kids at Disney.

DNS
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I see nothing wrong with this policy. I think having a few restaurants for adults only is a fine idea as long as the majority remains kid friendly.

kristnjohn
01-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm fine with this and despite my kids being angels (aren't all of ours?!!) I don't think I'd attempt to take them to a place of this nature on a Disney vacation.
What got me was on Fox News this morning, they tried to make a big deal about this, almost trying to spin it as a Disney negative. They opened up emails from the viewers and after the commercial break they came back with a completely different view, saying that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing and that most viewers were okay with the adults only policy. Just kind of annoying how they assume it's negative right away towards Disney, until the public speaks and sets them straight, then they change their tone!

MegaDisney
01-07-2008, 11:02 PM
OK I will probably get killed for this but here goes:

I wouldn't mind seeing a few other resturants at WDW put this policy in place...

:bolt: (Runs for cover...)

Marker
01-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Now that would aggravate me.

MegaDisney
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM

:rotfl:

DizzKnee
01-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I bet the media thought they could really bank on this story, hah. <c>
they must of been REALLY desperate to try and make a big deal out of this.
Honestly, i looked at their menu (:ack:), and its a little over my head. I'd rather go to the Electric Umbrella!

Tinkitude
01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I feel like Disney is really a place for the young and young at heart. If you are going to Disney to escape kids and a little silliness, you are definitely in the wrong place. :mickey:

murphy1
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
OK I will probably get killed for this but here goes:

I wouldn't mind seeing a few other resturants at WDW put this policy in place...

:bolt: (Runs for cover...)

Start running, I'm chasing you with my broom like the Pirates ride wenches.

lockedoutlogic
01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I bet the media thought they could really bank on this story, hah. <c>
they must of been REALLY desperate to try and make a big deal out of this.
Honestly, i looked at their menu (:ack:), and its a little over my head. I'd rather go to the Electric Umbrella!

Well to be fair...we haven't actually heard anything from a true "media" outlet on this one.

I'm sure some people had great times with their children at V&A's....but it works out to be about a 3 hour meal and you receive a wide range of differing food styles throughout...it's heavy on seafood at times but also uses a wide ranges of meats and game....

...what i'm getting at is that I think that the chances are the food isn't really palatable to the young...and to take your kids and have them eat pizza or chicken fingers while you eat rock crab claw just seems....you know....a waste.

The dark atmosphere in the restaurant also is a con for children....i almost fell asleep in there myself.

This is an appropriate and in no way controversial move, IMHO

big blue and hairy
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I feel like Disney is really a place for the young and young at heart. If you are going to Disney to escape kids and a little silliness, you are definitely in the wrong place. :mickey: I agree with that up to a point. That point would basically be V&A. There's nothing wrong with one restaurant on property being pseudo-adult, 10 and up isn't exactly adults only.

It's unfortunate at the other nice restaurants, that dumb parents ruin it for everyone, with or without kids. One, you should know your kids well enough to know what kind of restaurant they deal with well, and two, there's no reason not to expect them to behave or at least try to pay attention to them. I'm pretty sure the parents like the one mentioned at Le Chef's de France are the minority, but that's what sticks in people's minds. We went to Californina Grill and were seated very near a table with kids. They were extremely well behaved and seemed to enjoy the experience.

:sulley:

MegaDisney
01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Start running, I'm chasing you with my broom like the Pirates ride wenches.

LOL! :blush: