PDA

View Full Version : How will Jan. 13th Marathon affect our time at the parks?

Harley-Davidson_Guy
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
We are planning the 13th to be our first day at the parks for this trip. Will the crowds be more because of this? Thanks

TheRustyScupper
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
1) The Marathon does not impact the parks that much.
2) Most actually come for the run, and not for the parks.
3) The ones that do come for the parks are too tired.

:alarm:

mjm12000
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
we are going to be there as well on the 13th as our first day in the parks... I have heard from most people on the boards that the marathon effects the hotels and food places but the parks are not overly effected. I hope that holds true, either way with good planning and a positive attitude it should be a blast anyways.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, well not that I would ever run a marathon but if I did I guess going to a theme park would be the last thing I wanted to do afterwards. I can't imagine wanting to do anything! :mickey:

kdbianchini
01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
We will be there for the marathon. My dad and uncle are running. They don't plan on doing the parks on the 13th, but will the rest of the week. We will do the parks on the 13th to watch them and also the rest of the week. We had done this previously for the marathon and it was not crowded. We had no problems.

brothermoose
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Here is what it does affect. Getting to the parks.

Both Saturday and Sunday (the half and full marathon) major roads between the parks are rerouted and adjusted.

Saturday the main impact is over before the parks even open. Race starts at 6:00 and most people finish by 8:00 and walkers finish by 9:00-10:00. Then the roads reopen.

The marathon on Sunday is a different story. The roads are messed up till 12:00 or so.

The best strategy is to use a Disney bus even if you have a car. They know the detours and use bus routes to get you there faster. After 3:00 on Sunday you won't know that that the marathon happened except for all the finishers walking (slowly) around with their models.

I will be there running my third goofy run so wave at the runners and pardon us for the traffic tie ups :thumbsup:

We won't effect you in the park. We move so slow after Sunday we barely make it past the main gates.

Melanie
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
We went to the Magic Kingdom on Sunday afternoon after my hubby finished the Goofy Challenge a couple of years ago. He was pretty much done in by 6pm or so though. ;) It was actually cool seeing the participants walking around in the park sporting their medals. :thumbsup:

My recommendation is to go to either the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom on the day of the marathon, and definitely use Disney transportation as someone previously suggested. These are the first two parks the runners go through, so they clear out earlier.

We went to MGM around opening time to see my husband run through, and it's a little crazy with the roped off areas and such. And of course, Epcot is the last park the runners go through, so I'd avoid that one as well.

Enjoy your week! We stayed the week after and it was heavenly. :cloud9:

Samtastic
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
All the pasta and bread will gone!!!

Just kidding (my attempt at a lame joke). We went last year and going again this year. Basically you seem some people with big medals, a la Flavor Flave. Not a big increase in crowds--more so at the end of the week for MLK.

A Big Kid
01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I have run in several marathons there and never noticed a big crowd problem.

The day or two before is pretty good in the park because a lot of the runners are trying to stay off their feet.

The day after is good because most of the runners are limping through the parks...and climbing steps and stairs are not very appealing.

Victor Kelly
01-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I've benn down there twice during the marathons, never saw a real increase in people.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
You'll have a chance to spread some of your own magic to finishers! If you see anyone in the parks with a race medal, congratulate them! :)

Seriously, all the above comments are spot on. Crowds are still VERY reasonable around the marathon and half marathon. You'll have a blast!

Wish I was going to be there to run it again!

Harley-Davidson_Guy
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks, now all I have to worry about is the rainy forcast.

SAHDad
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
As others have said, getting to the parks on the day of the marathon can be difficult. Here is some info on the viewing areas, which should give you an idea of how long each park is affected:

Magic Kingdom, Main Street USA (accessible only via monorail): 6:55 - 8:50 (10 mile mark)

Animal Kingdom (supposedly accessible by car, good luck though): 7:25 - 10:40 am (16.5 - 17.3 miles)

Disney Studios (again, supposedly by car): 8:05 - 12:20 (23-23.5 miles)

Epcot: 8:15 - 1:00 (25-25.9 miles)

Finish line (Epcot parking lot): 8:20 -1:00.

(I didn't post the start info, but I have it if you want it.) Anyway, for all but the first (Main Street) and the finish line, you need a park admission to see it, because the marathon does go through open areas of the parks. By mile 23, most of us are pretty tired, and we probably aren't good at dodging anyone who darts out in front of us. ;)

I can speak only for myself on this, but I am actually not too sore on the day of the marathon. The day after, on the other hand. . . . OTOH, this is my first Goofy, so who knows? I plan on taking it easy, and carb-loading after the marathon :cheers:

And, since no one has noted this: all the marathon and half-marathon runners get free admission to PI on Sunday night, so that may be a little crowded.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm confused. :confused: The times you list are for the Marathon day (Sunday?) not the Goofy race on Sat.? We are staying at Ft. Wilderness and will be using the boat to get to MK on Saturday. Does that mean we can't use the boat until after 9pm to get there? What about MGM? We will want to go there after MK. You said "supposedily by car" What do you mean? Does that mean that we can drive there after 12:30?
Thanks for info.

SAHDad
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm confused. :confused: The times you list are for the Marathon day (Sunday?) not the Goofy race on Sat.? We are staying at Ft. Wilderness and will be using the boat to get to MK on Saturday. Does that mean we can't use the boat until after 9pm to get there? What about MGM? We will want to go there after MK. You said "supposedily by car" What do you mean? Does that mean that we can drive there after 12:30?
Thanks for info.

The Saturday race is the half-marathon. It starts at 6 am (as does the marathon), and basically runs from Epcot to MK and back.

On Saturday, there should be little noticeable interruptions in transportation or in the parks - the minimum pace (16 minute miles) means that the slowest group should still be out of MK by 7:30 or 8:00 am (depending on several factors), and the whole thing should be done by 10 am or so. The boat over to MK will run (as far as I know) at the normal times on Saturday and Sunday.

I said "supposedly by car" because although the marathon information on viewing areas says that (for example) you can get to Disney Studios by car, I would probably avoid driving anywhere on the Disney properties until after 9 am on Saturday or noon on Sunday, just because you may run into a lot of road closures. Some of the road closures may force you to drive miles out of the way to cover a distance of less than 1 mile under normal circumstances.

Anyway, the whole thing mainly affects you in the morning hours. If (for example) on Sunday, you wanted to take the boat over to MK, and then go to DS about 2 in the afternoon (using a Disney bus), you probably wouldn't notice anything except a lot of sore people shuffling around.

Hope that made it a bit more clear. If not, just let me know.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
01-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this info. It makes perfect sense. :thumbsup: