PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the deluxe dining plan?

Aurora
01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
On our last trip with four adults, we found the basic dining plan to more than meet our needs. We never purchased more food than was included and we were never hungry (in fact, we usually got more food than we wanted or needed).

I'm just wondering who uses the deluxe dining plan? Families with teen-age boys? Are there people who do sit-down for every meal? Do you use a deluxe plan for lots of "signature" meals?

Will more people be using the deluxe now that there are changes to the basic plan?

Just curious.

dolphinmickey9170
01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I can't imagine using the deluxe dining plan. We used the basic plan in December and on the last day of our trip we scrambled to use up the 10 CS credits and 5 Snack credits we still had. We only bought one TS meal OOP.

I guess I would have to say families with big eaters or should I just say teenagers with bottomless tummies.:blush:

KateMW
01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
We're planning on doing the DeluxeDDP because we prefer to sit down and eat. Since it's our first trip, we're planning on doing a ton of character meals for our daughter and there are more than a few signature restaurants that we want to eat at.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
We've been DDP fans since the start, and have decided to do the Deluxe DDP for our upcoming May trip.

It was a bit of a hard decision, but a number of factors tipped the scale for us!

#1 - we're taking my Mom on this trip, and wanted to be able to try a couple signature places we've missed on other trips. Also, Mom moves a little slower, and will appreciate more sit-down meals. This was the big one...we're going to try places we thought we couldn't afford. We have a bunch of character meals, so we get to meet them at the meals, instead of the crazy lines in the park.

#2 - We didn't like not having the appetizer with the basic DDP. DD will turn 10 during the trip, and the kids menu won't be quite enough for her, with the appetizers on the Deluxe plan, we can all share and won't have to buy her any additional food.

#3 - I'm a crazy planner, so knowing that there is no possible way I will have to buy any additional food, or drinks...we have the mugs included, and 2 snacks a day for each of us...(that's 8 snacks a day!). I love it being all paid for.

Ian
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
We're going to try it for our trip in May, because we have young kids and end up wanting to do so many character meals that our CS coupons go to waste and we end up paying for TS that we don't have coupons for.

Honestly, we eat more than enough to make it worth the money. Those TS meals are expensive if you pay for them. We had breakfast at CRT last trip and it was over $100 for 2 adults and a child. That's for one meal!

PinKy
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
We are using the deluxe dining plan for a couple of reasons.....

1) We have a very young toddler and so we are up for an early sit-down breakfast every morning. If breakfast was not included in the dining plan we would be paying out of pocket anyway - so we might as well have it included. For us it is just convenience.

2) We like having the appetizers included in our meal plan. Again, if we weren't on the deluxe we would be paying out of pocket anyway - so we might as well have it included.

3) We use some of our points for the nicer 2-point restaurants.

Of course we don't eat all the food they put on our plates - that is ridiculous...... but again for us it the matter of having it available in a sit-down, relaxed setting. Our vacation is all about convenience.

scottgr
01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I am up in the air on the DDP this year. I am trying to figure out where we going to eat and see if it is worth while or not. I know we are going to do the DP. I have two young girls and plan to do a bunch of character dining....:mickey:

em-n-mia's-mommy
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I think we are going to do the deluxe plan this coming september. My dh is a big eater and his reasoning for wanting to do deluxe was said to me like this last night, "I get sick of eating chicken strips and hamburgers everyday for lunch at counterservice places while we are there!"

crazykids
01-04-2008, 02:41 PM
My husband & I are using it for our May trip. We will be without the kids for this trip & we are looking forward to having an early lunch at a TS restaurant everyday followed by a late dinner at a signature restaurant. With 3 little kids, we never get to have relaxed meals & we are going to take advantage of every one we can get! :cloud9:

threeh
01-05-2008, 03:43 PM
My family (3 kids and 2 adults) and I have always gotten a dining plan. I really like to do 2 sit downs a day so I got the deluxe plan. Last time we went we did the dining my way and we ran out of table service points, so I thought this would work out better. Way back in the day, DH and my honeywoon, we did the silver plan which was 2 meals a day, that was perfect. This may be a bit more, but I also downgraded us from our usual concierge, figured we wouldn't need all the snacks this time. I really like that everything is paid for now, we can eat and eat and just have to pay gratuities. :thumbsup:

drhama
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
We are doing the deluxe plan for our trip in September only because we got the basic for free. Not sure if I had to pay for the whole thing if we would purchase the deluxe. This will be our first trip as a couple alone. Hard to believe with all the times we have been to WDW, we have never gone alone. Anyway, we are going to take advantage of some signature meals. We will probably use a CS for a early, light breakfast and TS for lunch and dinner. By getting to the parks early, we can get most of our rides in before lunch and then have time for leisurely meals and just wandering around and soaking up the ambiance for the rest of the day and evening. Can't wait.

wendy*darling
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
We are going with another couple in October. The Deluxe plan would perfectly fit our dining style- a nice TS breakfast/early lunch and then a Signature place for dinner. The snacks would fill any cravings in between.
BUT, since it's October- we will be spending a good chunk of time at the Food & Wine Festival. Do the regular DDP, if any plan, will be better.

We are hoping the deluxe plan still exists in 2009. We will be bringing our sons (18 & 21) for 4 days in WDW following a 4 day New Year's Eve Disney Cruise. They like to eat well. They are looking forward to a few signature restaurants. So the deluxe plan will allow us to "splurge" for this special trip. But is Jan 4th 2009 that we arrive, and who knows what the next incarnation of the Dining Plan will be! :confused:

Aurora
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the responses! This past trip was adults only and the first time we had tried ANY plan. My parents said they would definitely do it again because they thought it was such a great value (this was including appetizer and tip). Our next trip will be with the kids, so we'll really have to weigh what our needs will be.

poeticeclipse
01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
While it sounds great to have so many wonderful and expensive meals at a cost much lower than what its worth, I just can't see eating that much food.

I've done the DDP three times now and I get SO FULL just from eating one TS meal, one CS meal, and a snack. Heck, I rarely use the snack!

The biggest reason I would never do the DeluxeDDP is because it seems like all i'd ever be doing is eating. No time for attractions or shows. Just food. Travel time alone is exhausting on the DDP, I can't imagine scheduling my day around more than one ADR.

To those of you who are doing the DeluxeDDP, more power to you! You're lucky that you can hustle and bustle like that. I'd be zonkered! Trust me, if my stomach could handle all the food in WDW, i'd clean up.:D

bigbabyblues
01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
We will use the deluxe dining plan, if I can save enough money. Why? Because we much prefer ts meals over counter service. We would do 2 ts meals most, if not every day, and cs for lunch. If we were paying OOP for all meals, our budget would be around $175 a day, the deluxe plan would be $180 a day, and we wouldn't have to worry about going over our budget.

Duchess99
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
We are doing the deluxe plan for our trip in September only because we got the basic for free.

So if you get the free DDP promotion in September you can upgrade to the Deluxe DDP? What is the cost to upgrade?