PDA

View Full Version : Epileptic seizures vs flashie thingies

LibertyTreeGal
01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Okay, this is probably gonna be a dumb question but here goes...

You know those annoying flashie-thingies they sell in the parks, you know, the strobe light things they sell to kids during fantasmic and all through the parks. So I'm on the busses, boats, whatever at night and it is inevitable that the child sitting next to me has one flashing in my face for the bus ride while his parents seem oblivious to how uncomfortable this is and I'm thinking -- can these things set off people who are photosensitive?

Anyone know? I'd love to get them banned.... even though it will never happen....

Marilyn Michetti
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
They probably won't ban them, but I know what you're talking about. I have M.S., and any strobe light activity does wierd things to my balance. Rides like Space Mtn. are out for this old lady.

If it's in my face, I just close my eyes, and DH lets me know when it's O.K. again.:sick:

Kennywife
01-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Lights bug me, but smells do too. I can't be around onions as they make me feel light-headed. :ack: Whne I go somewhere with lights like that, I just shut my eyes when they flash at me till it's over.

Anna

princessjojo
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, they can trigger seizures, but I don't understand all of the neurological aspects of it. Like the other posters however, I don't see any chance of them being banned. I think you would have a better chance of telling those susceptible to just close their eyes instead.

ibrowse17
01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
My wife has epilepsy, and would love to respond to this. Here she is...

As my Husband stated, I have Epilepsy and I am photosensitive to those flashy lights. They WILL set off a seizure and I tell him all the time that ADA should do something about this, but I wouldn't know where to begin! It is horrible and I have to shut my eyes and bury my head into his shoulder because the lights are so strong they go through the eyelids. I hate them and it really puts a huge damper on our trip. We have had to alter our transportation...skip buses and so on.:( I should not have to do this they should make them either turn them off on buses and boats but preferably I think they should ban them altogether. It isn't worth it to have a seizure. I have a job and a life and what people do not realize is that people with disabilities have rights also, such as the right to visit Disney World in peace. We should not have to bury their heads or shut their eyes. I am a big kid with a huge heart and, dangit, I want to see Cinderella's Castle too. :pout:
Thanks for letting me say my peace! :mickey:

princessjojo
01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
:( I should not have to do this they should make them either turn them off on buses and boats but preferably I think they should ban them altogether. It isn't worth it to have a seizure, I have a job and a life and what people do not realize is that people with disabilities have rights to, such as the right to visit Disney World in peace. Not have to bury their heads or shut their eyes. I am a big kid with a huge heart and dangit i want to see Cinderella's Castle too. :pout:
I agree with you completely. When I see that my children are doing something that makes someone else uncomfortable in any way, I usually try to get them to stop or at least minimize whatever it is that they're doing for the very reasons you mentioned above. It is unfortunate that everyone doesn't feel the same way. But you can rest assure that if I'm on your bus or in your area, you will enjoy the Castle just as much as me and my children if I can help it...

Nurse Kim
01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I am epileptic as well and I am also a nurse. Yes this can definitely set off a seizure and it's not fun trying to enjoy yourself somewhere and having to prevent yourself from having a seizure. I don't let my kids have those things anywhere and never have. They should at least be told to keep them shut off on busses. I know it's hard to control them in the parks because kids will be kids and they don't really understand that their fun is making someone else miserable.

LibertyTreeGal
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree that putting your hand over your eyes does NOT work. But anyone can see that it is a real cash cow for Disney....

KEYONNAH
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I also have epilepsy and am sesitive to the flashy lights. I've been lucky so far and have only gotten dizzy and terrible headaches, but no seizures. I think everyone is right and nothing will change.

Stormi

BrerGnat
01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't have epilepsy, so I can't relate, but have you asked the child/parent to turn off the flashlight during the bus rides when it was bothering you? I'm sure that most parents, especially if you were polite and explained your situation, would have their child turn off the light for the ride. I know there's not much you can do about them in the parks and stuff, but it's not as though common courtesy is TOTALLY out the window yet (although, it is getting close...)

You should not have to suffer so badly when something as simple as asking to turn off a light can prevent it.

LibertyTreeGal
01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't have epilepsy, so I can't relate, but have you asked the child/parent to turn off the flashlight during the bus rides when it was bothering you? I'm sure that most parents, especially if you were polite and explained your situation, would have their child turn off the light for the ride. I know there's not much you can do about them in the parks and stuff, but it's not as though common courtesy is TOTALLY out the window yet (although, it is getting close...)

You should not have to suffer so badly when something as simple as asking to turn off a light can prevent it.

You know, to be honest, it is getting harder and harder to ask parents to curb their child's behavior in any way, shape or form. People can be vicious over little things when their kids are concerned, and see everything as abuse (probably because they don't know what real abuse is!). So I don't ask unless it is a serious situation. And frankly, it can be embarassing -- I often have to ask people to not smoke around me because I have asthma (and sometimes I am stuck in a place and can't leave myself, like working a Boy Scout booth). Now 90% of smokers are nice, but the 10% that aren't get my heart beating fast whenever I am forced to ask someone to please just stand downwind.

Even around here a few months back, we had a poster being pretty hard hit because they mentioned that they asked some children to stop goofing off on a pin computer they wanted to access. Some people were downright nasty to that poster, saying that nobody had better ever talk to their kids. I don't get this.