PDA

View Full Version : Diving

EJS-Houston
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I feel really bizarre asking this, but I've learned quickly that there truly are no stupid questions among this great group of people, so here goes:

My family (Mom, Dad, brother and me) is planning a WDW trip to celebrate Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversary in 2009. My brother is a certified diver, and my Mother thought that she'd heard of some sort of special day when divers can do their thing in the Living Seas tank. This strikes me as unlikely, but I figured if any group could get to the truth about this this is the group! Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Figgyluv03
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I believe there is a behind the scenes tour at the living seas where you are able to dive and as long as you have your certification you are eligible to do it. I would check Disney's website. They should have a section on the behind the scenes tours.

John
01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
No need almost ever to check Disney's website.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/tours.asp

Dive Quest is what you are looking for.

EJS-Houston
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks Figgyluv for the quick response...and a very big thank you to John for steering me right to the information I need! Intercot Rules!!!

TheRustyScupper
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
1) All the equipment is provided.
2) But, most divers I have seen bring their own regulator.
3) It is something that is familiar to them.
4) They also bring masks that have prescription lenses.

jpcns50
01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I was on my honeymoon in September, and my wedding present from my wife was the DiveQuest experience.

It was the most amazing dive that I have ever been on. It was 100% top notch treatment. We were supplied all equiptment. The only thing you have to bring is a bathing suit and your Diver Certification card.

Feel free to Private Message me with any questions you have about the DiveQuest experience. I would be happy to answer!!

EJS-Houston
01-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Many Thanks, Rusty!

I'll forward your comments along to my brother.

EJS-Houston
01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I was on my honeymoon in September, and my wedding present from my wife was the DiveQuest experience.

It was the most amazing dive that I have ever been on. It was 100% top notch treatment. We were supplied all equiptment. The only thing you have to bring is a bathing suit and your Diver Certification card.

Feel free to Private Message me with any questions you have about the DiveQuest experience. I would be happy to answer!!

Great to hear! I'll be sure to send along any questions from my bro! :thanks::dolphin:
Many Thanks!

garymacd
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Tell him he MUST bring his "C" Card. He must show it to the dive master before he enters the park. Of all the equipment listed above, definitely tell your brother to BRING HIS OWN MASK!!

The mask I used really hurt my face (most of my friends tell me my face is killing them - but that's another story).

Most of the people in my dive group when I did Dive Quest said exactly the same thing (that their mask hurt their face - not that my face was killing them).

Also remember that you and the rest of your family can watch from Coral Reef (with dinner)or the viewing gallery. During the dive, one of the dive masters acts as an underwater cameraman and records the highlights of the dive including taking a short clip of your brother in the water and the rest of your family watching from the viewing gallery.

DVD's are an extra $10 and worth it as a memento of the dive. I'm glad I bought mine. I was able to show it to my dad while he was still able to enjoy and remember it.

Tell him to bring his smile, because for that short one hour dive, he is an honourary cast member. And remember, a portion of his entry fees are donated to a nature conservancy fund.

Samtastic
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Members who don't aren't certified can do the Seas Aqua tour where you go into the aquarium without the certification. That's what I'll be doing next friday! Yay!

scooterca42
01-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Actually, Rusty, the only item you are permitted to bring is your mask. All other equipment is provided by the Divequest team, cleaned thoroughly and is carefully maintained. Far better stuff than what we used in Cuba.

It was a fabulous three hour experience. We saw behind the scenes at The Living Seas, (as I always think of it) and then when you're in your wetsuits you walk through the public areas.

A word of advice to him - find another single person and buddy up. You must have a buddy to dive and I ended up with two others - we hadn't discussed where we wanted to go - it was fun but rather random. I let my husband (my usual buddy, but we were diving separately - the dry one was videotaping from outside the tank, that was cool!) know, and he planned some stuff with his own buddy. Entertaining the diners is great fun after you've mentally ticked off the list of fish and such that you've never seen before!

It would'a worked great but his buddy was an air pig and had to surface - they swapped out his tank but in the meantime the divemaster had buddied up with Hubby and they were just having a blast - so it worked even better!

We are doing it again next time we go but this time we're diving at the same time so we can be buddies. If you're eating at Coral Reef and see some folks waltzing by underwater - that's us...;)

Jshiddy
01-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I agree with these guys, that was the best dive of my life. If I had it to do all over again I would bring my own mask. But everything was great.

You can't (or couldn't) bring your own regulator. I was very pleased with the dive. I got a bit nervious with all of the people looking, so I was sucking some major air. I was pleasently suprised when they just threw a new tank on my back and I got to go back down.

This is a must do.

MushuMulan
01-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I, personally, have never been on a dive there, but I think it is an experience that I will do someday.

I remember on my last trip to Disney World as we walked around Living Seas and saw the divers. At that point, I didn't know anything about Dive Quest so I thought it was Disney staff.

It wasn't until later when I saw a group of people in wetsuits get out of a elevator that I realized it wasn't just CMs :).

Looks like a great experience, I know I'll do it someday.

dmosher
01-08-2008, 05:19 AM
I have done this with my best friend as my dive buddy. All we were allowed to bring was a bathing suit, our cards and a mask & snorkel. The tour was amazing, showing you everything from where they were watching baby sharks (in and out of their little pods) to how they care and feed the fish, etc. Then off to a quick pre-dive talk, suit up, grab a buddy (if you come alone, you can pair up with someone their or if no one is free, one of the crew will dive with you.

There are sharks, coral caves, a plethora of fish and underwater wildlife and a giant sea turtle. Plus as an added bonus anyone looking into the aquarium can see you and half the fun is playing with other tourists, especially while they eat at the Coral Reef Restaurant.

I highly recommend doing this and yes get the dvd, it's worth it for the memories!
:pipes:
D

garymacd
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I just thought of something else you should bring. You should bring your dive logbook so you can track your hours. Even if you don't bring it, they will give you a card and stamp to certify your hours. Just put that in the logbook when you get home.

dmosher
01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I completely forgot about the log book entry! After reading that I went back to my older book and hunted for it. Wow did that bring back memories Thanks for the reminder, it made my day!
:pipes:
D

EJS-Houston
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm forwarding all of your comments along to my brother. Many Thanks to All!!!