PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Jillirose
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I would post this to mousellaneous, but not enough people will see it, and this is important!

I'm from MI and we love our coffee here. There are five coffee houses in my small town.

Last trip to Disney, I had a hard time getting great coffee. The only place that had good coffee was at the the writer's shop at MGM. The hotel's was o.k. Everywhere else was instant from a large Nescafe urn, at least that's what it tasted like.

Everytime I asked someone, they said they didn't know, they didn't drink coffee but drank iced tea. Is it a regional thing? Disney is missing the boat on this one. From my experience, people will pay big bucks for good coffee. :confused:

Melanie
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to move this down to the Dining forum for you. You should get lots of responses there. :thumbsup:

This forum is for site and technical issues. Thanks!

busterthebronco
01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
theres a coffee deal in the poly and at the contemporary.
i love coffe and tea.
sweet tea.
iced.
black coffee.

Magic Smiles
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
I have to chuckle to myself. We stayed at the POFQ and I thought that their coffee out of the machines was really good. After drinking the 'coffee' at my work, believe me, the POFQ, even if it is instant is GREAT!
Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question though.

JPL
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately most place at WDW serve that NescaJunk :sick: A few places have good coffee mostly at Resort Restaurants like Boma and the Kona Cafe.

Figment!
01-03-2008, 09:02 AM
You may be interested in this past article from the INTERCOT Insider Newsletter:

<< INTERCOTee Top 5 … Coffee Spots >>

Despite the warm Florida temperatures many Guests still enjoy starting off their morning or relaxing during the day with a cup of coffee. As can be expected, there are a wide variety of locations to grab a cup-of-joe at the gigantic Walt Disney World Resort. The Insider has reviewed recent discussions and put together a countdown of the INTERCOTee Top 5 Places for Coffee.

Coming in at number 5 … Fountain View Espresso and Bakery

Many Guest start their morning off right with a quick stop at Epcot’s Fountain View Espresso and Bakery. This Future World pit-stop offers Cappuccinos, Cafe Lattes, Espressos, Mochas, and Flavored Coffees.

Coming in at number 4 … Kringla Bakeri og Cafe

The Spirit of Norway meets the aroma of coffee at the Kringla Bakeri og Caf&#233; in Epcot’s Norway pavilion. The caf&#233; offers Lattes, Cappuccinos and their signature Viking Coffee. Fit for true explorers, Viking Coffee is Columbian coffee blended with Kamora Coffee Liqueur and Bailey's Original Irish Cream.

Coming in at number 3 … Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop

Ghirardelli may be best known for their Chocolate, but their coffee selection is equally noteworthy. Enjoy such decedent choices like a Caramel Latte or White Chocolate Mocha in addition to a variety of top-notch coffee varieties.

Coming in at number 2 … Grand Floridian Caf&#233;

The Grand Floridian Caf&#233; at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa offers a coffee selection that lives up to its “Grand” name. Enjoy elegant choices like Chocolate, Caramel or Vanilla flavored Espressos, Cappuccinos, and Lattes.

And coming in at number 1 … Kona Island Coffee Bar

Disney’s Polynesian Resort offers a taste of the tropics at the Kona Island Coffee Bar. This Kiosk offers Espressos, Cappuccinos, Lattes, Mochas, Au Laits and their signature Kona Press Pot Coffee. Grown in Kona, Hawaii, Kona Press Pot Coffee provides an out-of-this-civilization taste that will keep you coming back to the Islands.

That’s it for this countdown. Hope it has given you some great ideas of where to get a great brew the next time you are at “the world”.

*Note*: Since the time of the article's publishing, the Fountain View cafe has changed to an Ice Cream parlor.

scottgr
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I am going to have to try the Kona Coffee bar in Oct 08 when I am down there....I love a good cup of Joe :mickey:

Dznygrl79
01-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey howdy hey!
I'm a coffee junky too (I work for Starbucks my addiction is so bad!) I believe there is a Starbucks at Shades of Green I'm not sure what stage it is in (planning or actual service) and I have never been to SoG so I don't know the rules for buying food and all there (if you have to be staying on SoG or What not). Kona is great if you go to the Poly, but otherwise I find it best to bring my own pre-ground stuff and use one of their coffee makers in room with a bottle of purified water. But hey I'm a coffee snob and proud of it.

Dznygrl79
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
oh and a side note the peanut butter cookies at the writers stop are worth the trip even if you don't drink java!

JPL
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Coming in at number 5 … Fountain View Espresso and Bakery

Many Guest start their morning off right with a quick stop at Epcot’s Fountain View Espresso and Bakery. This Future World pit-stop offers Cappuccinos, Cafe Lattes, Espressos, Mochas, and Flavored Coffees.

Sadly this is now an Ice Cream shop :(

Wow never thought I would use Sadly and Ice cream in the same sentence;)

MOJoe
01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Good coffe is hard to find at WDW. I believe Nestle has a contract to provide it "World Wide". There are a few places, as mentioned, that serve other blends. As well as the Dolphin, which i remember serving Starbucks at Picabu's. Depending on which resort you are staying in, you may just want to bring your own.

Followthatmouse
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh, how sad that Fountain View is no longer a coffee spot. It was a lovely place for a small, quick breakfast of a pastry and a cup of ambrosia.

TheRustyScupper
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
. . . Last trip to Disney, I had a hard time getting great coffee . . .
. . . what is the definition of good coffee?
. . . Maxwell House, Folgers?
. . . drip grind, percolated?
. . . dark roast, light roast, Columbian?
. . . so much cream/milk or other additives, you can't taste the brew?
. . . coffee taste is an individual thing
. . . it is very subjective

. . . Disney is missing the boat on this one . . .
. . . Disney gets all the coffee FREE from Nescafe
. . . plus, they get the pavilion subsidy from Nescafe
. . . sound like a good Disney deal to me
. . . I don't think Disney missed getting anything

. . . From my experience, people will pay big bucks for good coffee . . .
. . . at Disney, guests already pay big bucks for any beverage
. . . since it is free to WDW, the profit is even greater
. . . how much more profit could you make from coffee?

NOTE: Although many Americans prefer brewed coffee, in MOST parts of the world, "instant" coffee is the norm. In fact, it is preferred. I have been in countries where a mention of "brewed" coffee brought looks of disdain from waiters.

Jillirose
01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm so happy to have so many options to try next time! I wish I was planning a trip :(

It is interesting to learn the reason for the coffee conundrum - I figured there was a good one. Thankfully, there are still some options.

As I said, it may be a regional thing - it gets me through the depressing gray days here in Michigan. :surf:

Hull-onian
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Figment. Being a DD's fan myself, it is a good thing to find good coffee. When we stayed at POFQ, I thought their coffee was very good, so there is no accounting for my taste, LOL.:D

texasteacher
01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm so happy to have so many options to try next time! I wish I was planning a trip :(

It is interesting to learn the reason for the coffee conundrum - I figured there was a good one. Thankfully, there are still some options.

As I said, it may be a regional thing - it gets me through the depressing gray days here in Michigan. :surf:

It is not a regional thing at all. This Texas girl must have her hot, brewed coffee. For instant coffee, the Nescafe that WDW serves is not bad, but I bring my coffee pot with me every trip to make sure that I have a nice cup of morning coffee.
I am going to try a cup of coffee at Kona's next trip. I hear that it is very good.

stitchcousin
01-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I love my coffee too :coffee:, and the only two times I really enjoyed it were at Kona Cafe and also at the French Pavilion (epcot) bakery.

ryca1dreams
01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago and only drink tea now (English/Persian black or green or white if I feel like it)

But what's really missing from WDW is Dr. Pepper.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I love coffee. I can't stand the coffee at WDW. The only managable but still yucky coffee was from the french press pot 100% kona we had to ask for at the Poly.

We brought our own pre-ground coffee and filters (#4 for the resort makers). We used the creamer and bottled water we ordered from Garden Grocer, because I thought the resort creamer tastes like plastic and the water tasted heavily fluorinated.

NJ Camper
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM
We have been getting cofee at the fort the past few years and we stopped making our own we now get in our cart and get ours from trailsend it is pretty good not great but not bad if they had flavored creamer it would be better