PDA

View Full Version : Sony Playstation 2 help?

TikiGoddess
01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping to buy my husband a PS2 for his birthday this weekend. Does anyone have any advice on this system? Is it a good system? Where is the best place to buy games (used or new) for it? What accessories would you recommend getting for it?

Thanks for any advice,
TikiG

DizneyFreak2002
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
PS2 is a good system, but, all games now for Playstation will be coming out for PS3... Some games are coming out for both systems, but, soon, PS2 games will be phased out... If that doesn't bother you or your husband, then, look for used games at Game Stop or EBX ir EBGames.. They are all the same store basically...

Celestria
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
playstation 3 is just way to expensive to get in my opinion....

PS2 however is a well rounded system that has more genres of games than any of the other game systems. just because they have a new PS3 out now does not mean that you should get that one over the other. if you get a used system get it at game stop or eb games. they test the console before they take in the trade. a second controller is always a good thing for any game system. you will have to buy a memory card, they will sell those at game stop too. you can't just save the game to the system. let's see... most of the time the sony brand accesories are the best, but the others are cheaper.

best place to buy. Game stop for the sytem and games and other things. Best buy would come in second in my mind

2Epcot
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I bought my niece and nephew a Playstation 2 last Christmas (2006) and bought more games for them this past Christmas. They (along with my brother) seem to enjoy the system very much. The game system comes with one controller. I bought a second wireless controller to go with it, which made it easier to have more distance between the tv when playing the game. When I'm in stores I see plenty of Playstation 2 games. Some of the older games can be found at really good prices.

buzznwoodysmom
01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
We just purchased a playstation 2 for my oldest DS for Christmas. We bought it at Toys R Us. I don't really think it matters where you buy it. I priced around for Christmas thinking someone would have it on sale and it was the same exact price no matter where I looked. This is the first game system I buy for my children and I was really shocked to find out that not only do you need to purchase a memory card (biggest ripe off I've seen in a long time), but it only comes with one control and no game. By the time we bought the memory card, one game and a pair of wireless controls (we have two children) the $130.00 gift was now over $200.00. We ended up buying several more games for him, some new, some used. We bought all the extra games at Game Stop and all of the used games work like new. Hope your DH enjoys it!

Speedy1998
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
This is the first game system I buy for my children and I was really shocked to find out that not only do you need to purchase a memory card (biggest ripe off I've seen in a long time), but it only comes with one control and no game.!

Until the current generation of game systems (PS3 and XBOX 360) came out, having to buy memory was pretty much standard across all systems. You will probably need more memory soon, especially if your kids are into sports games. The PS3 and XBOX 360 come with hard drives, eliminating the need for memory cards.

For the OP I love my PS2 and still play it all the time, I would not worry too much about finding games for the system, it is still possible to find PS1 games in places like game stop. I would expect you to be able to purchase games in stores like Wal-mart, and best buy for at least another 2 years, Sony trys to give their game systems ten year life cycles.

kakn7294
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I just bought my DD's a PS-2 for Christmas. I purchased mine at Circuit City with the Black Friday special of $129.00 plus a free second controller - $25.00 value. The prices seem to be pretty universal from store to store. You do not need a second controller unless you plan to play 2 person games. You also do not need the memory card if you do not wish to save the progress of the games - but in most cases, you will want to save. In my area, one memory card runs $25.00 and the two-pack runs $40.00 The games (new) run from $20.00 to $50.00. I haven't purchased any used games for this system, but I did purchase a used game from GameStop for Nintendo DS - the game works but the price was a total rip-off, nearly the same as new for a discontinued game and did not include the book or package. As far as phasing the PS-2 out, there are new games that just came out in Nov and Dec and more slated to be released for at least the first few months of 2008 - I don't think it's going anywhere just yet.

Celestria
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
We just purchased a playstation 2 for my oldest DS for Christmas. We bought it at Toys R Us. I don't really think it matters where you buy it. I priced around for Christmas thinking someone would have it on sale and it was the same exact price no matter where I looked.

NEW ones are all the same price. used ones are just as good, but cheaper. if you want a "new" one that is cheaper than others go to places like eb games or game stop and see about a refurbished system.

2Epcot
01-03-2008, 12:23 AM
NEW ones are all the same price. used ones are just as good, but cheaper. if you want a "new" one that is cheaper than others go to places like eb games or game stop and see about a refurbished system.

After I purchased the system for my niece and nephew, my brother go so into it that he found an older one on eBay that he purchased for himself. I'm not sure what he paid, but he saved some money and said it worked fine. The only real difference was he said was the fan noise was kind of loud on the older ones.

dmosher
01-03-2008, 01:22 AM
I say the PS2 is still a very nice system and worth the $$. yes they will be fazed out, but so what? The games are still great and all that means is that you can now get 4 games for the price of 1! My advice is to get it and a few games/extras and as the $$ come down, load up your library like we all did with the X-Box system, sit back and enjoy a few years of awesome gaming.
On a side note, I am really surprised that a basic system is so expensive there. Everything video game related is VERY expensive in New Zealand and it is exactly $1.00 cheaper here than your average price there.... very weird. Oh well games start at $100 here so... there's that.
:pipes:
D

The Reservoir Dog
01-03-2008, 06:06 AM
How serious a gamer is your husband?

The PS2 is a very good system but also check out the Nintendo Wii.

I am not a serious gamer but like my gaming to be easy to control and lots of fun which is precisely what the Wii is. Nothing too complicated.

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
How serious a gamer is your husband?

The PS2 is a very good system but also check out the Nintendo Wii.

I am not a serious gamer but like my gaming to be easy to control and lots of fun which is precisely what the Wii is. Nothing too complicated.

I want a Wii. I think it would be very fun. I also want a Nintendo DS. I've never been a gamer, but we got one for DD from Christmas and I think I played it more in the first few days than she did.

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't know if it was just for Christmas or what, but I saw a ton of PS2 games on clearance at nearly every store we shopped at. We were at Toys R Us on New Years Eve and saw lots of games on clearance there too. DD got a PS2 a couple of years ago but sadly it's not working anymore. We have to see if there is some way to fix it.

TikiGoddess
01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for the help. I ended up buying a new PS2 at Circuit City ($129), along with a memory card and a wireless controller. Then I went to Game Stop and bought Gran Tourismo 4 and a Star Wars game -- both used, for about $20 total. Also got MLB 2007 and something called Mojo at Toys r us.

I can't wait to give it to him (and try it out myself!! I want to get Kingdom Hearts :D). I'll let you know how it goes on Sunday...

Thanks again for the help!
Kathy

conorsmom2000
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Kathy, I'm late jumping here, but it sounds like you got a great deal on the PS2! I was going to say that we usually hit Game Stop for our games for it, whether new or used. We started going there a lot because they we can give them Conor's old Game boy and DS games and get credit for new games - that's a great option to us. We also did get the 2nd controller (wireless) for our PS2 as well.

For those that mentioned the Wii, I have to say that was the best purchase we ever made! Conor got it for Christmas and the 3 of us haven't stopped playing with it! I do 3 rounds of boxing and feel like I got my workout in for the day! :D I got some great tips about the Wii from I'COT and I'm very grateful - we are having a blast with it!! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
For those that mentioned the Wii, I have to say that was the best purchase we ever made! Conor got it for Christmas and the 3 of us haven't stopped playing with it! I do 3 rounds of boxing and feel like I got my workout in for the day! :D I got some great tips about the Wii from I'COT and I'm very grateful - we are having a blast with it!! :thumbsup:
We got our kids a Wii Sports for Christmas (and only paid retail :thumbsup:). I can't believe how much fun it is for adults and children alike. We had a lot of family in for the holidays and it was one of our more enjoyable activities! :) (BTW, I know what you mean about the workout. Bowling made my arm muscles ache ;)).