PDA

View Full Version : Question for a Postal Worker

simpleyred
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Does anybody know if its common practice to pay to take an exam when applying for a job with the post office? My DH called after reading an ad in our local paper. Did we just fall for a scam or is this legit?

magicofdisney
01-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I hope someone can answer your question. I do know that some postal workers must take an exam. But it's a government job and I'm fairly certain the actual exam will NOT cost the potential employee any money. If you're paying for something, most likely it's a prep course of some sort. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Does anybody know if its common practice to pay to take an exam when applying for a job with the post office? My DH called after reading an ad in our local paper. Did we just fall for a scam or is this legit?

Interesting question. I hope someone will answer because I have often times wondered that too. If I remember I will ask our postal carrier today when he comes by.

kakn7294
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't have any personal experience with the Post Office as an employer but I do know that applicants for most postal jobs must pass an exam. However, I didn't think you had to pay to take it but I could be wrong. I hope somebody else can answer your question for sure!

Scar
01-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Call them and ask. (http://www.postalexamregistration.us/)

MaryPoppinsFan
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I know at one point years ago I paid something like $75.00 to take a course that teaches you how to pass the Postal Exam. I never got called to take the actual exam, but I can't imagine you would have to pay for that. More than likely it's the prep course that magicofdisney spoke of.

murphy1
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
My dad worked at and retired from the USPS. You should not have to pay for the exam. I still remember being a kid helping him study the zip codes for it.

DisneyLandMomma
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
You should not have to pay to take the test to work for the post office. I called from an ad in the pennysaver once, left a message with my info. I was then sent a packet with a test date, time and place. I did not end up taking the test as something else had come up but nothing was ever mentioned about having to pay for anything.

ncscgirl2005
01-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Our postal carrier here at work said you do not have to pay for the exam.

simpleyred
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I did call the USPS the next morning and was told they do not charge for either taking a test or for any test preparation booklets. She gave me the number of the FTC and BBB so I could report this ad. Also call my local paper which ran this ad. Hate to see anybody lose money in false hopes of getting a job.