PDA

View Full Version : We Did It!

ncscgirl2005
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
We made it through the holiday season without spending one penny at Wal-Mart!!!! :woohoo:
I really hope I don't ever have to either.

**Before I begin this rather lengthy post, let me first say that I have nothing against people that shop at Wal-Mart. Everything I am going to say pertains to my own personal feelings and experiences regarding the store that I shopped at. I am not trying to offend anyone but I just wanted to share my story with someone.

OK....so we actually did it. We gave up shopping at Wal-Mart back in September. This may not seem like a long time but TRUST ME, it really is for me and my family. We pratically lived in Wal-Mart; we were there at least 3-4 times a week for something. My husband and I vowed to quit spending our hard-earned money in there because of what we got in return:

1. Nasty, dirty, unstocked restrooms-I hate using public restrooms anyway but when you have kids sometimes you have to. Even if you do make them use it before leaving home and drive 5 minutes to the store---They still have to use it once they get there!

2. Unstocked shelves no matter how early or how late I was in the store

3. Outdated product-Once found yogurt on the shelf that had an expiration date of November--problem was it was February.

4. At least 15-20 minutes in checkout lines every single time we shopped

5. Customer Service-In almost every department all the way up to the managers the customer service was horrible.

6. Too many temptations. Spent way more than we really needed. Example: Chocolate in the the deodorant aisle (OK maybe not exactly but you get my point)

7. Prices on shelves saying one thing, product ringing up as another in the line.

The answer for us was plain and simple. We just had to cut ourselves off from them no matter how hard it was. My friend teased me saying that Walmart wouldn't miss our money anyway but you know what, that didn't matter to us. What matters to us is that we get the type of service we deserve if we are spending our money. But mind you, this is the same friend that called me crying at 12:07 a.m. on December 23 (The Saturday night/Sunday morning before Christmas) because she stood in line for 30 minutes at Walmart only for them to tell her that she couldn't buy half the stuff her cart (Bluelight laws went into effect at 12:00-yes we still have Bluelight laws in certain parts of the state).

Anyhoo, we now shop at Target, our local grocery stores, and mom-and-pop stores. I feel so much better shopping there without having to wait for an eternity in lines and our shopping experiences are always sooooo much more pleasant. :thumbsup:

Thanks for listening!

crazypoohbear
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Good for you sticking to your guns!
I have cut way back on Walmart for the same reasons you cited.
Target is much cleaner, friendlier and the customer service is better. Let's hope that walmart sees the error of their ways and starts cleaning up their act.

Ian
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't shop at Wal-Mart if you paid my bill for me. I loathe that place.

I only shop at Target for that kinda stuff.

Good for you ... the Wal-Martization of America is ruining this country.

TikiGoddess
01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I totally agree with you. Walmart is usually my last resort if I'm looking for something. I went there after Christmas to look for a present for some friends of mine because it was the only store open that time of night. I went to the toy department and every aisle looked like a tornado had ripped through it. It was a total mess. And this was at least 4 days after Christmas.

Their prices aren't low enough to justify going there (at least the store near me - have to admit we were at one in FL that was as nice as a Target). I'll stick to Target.

TikiG

disneygirlie11
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
What are Bluelight laws?

tink'72
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
The ONLY Walmart I'll shop in is the one in Kissimmee on Highway 192 buy Medieval Times. Other than that it's Target for me!

mickey&missy
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't stand our local Wal-Mart. It's gross, the staff are all awful, the shelves are a mess, checking out takes forever, I could keep going but I won't.

I only go there if I know they have something I can't get anyplace else.

I shop mainly at Target and the grocery store. DH wishes I didn't go to Target because I can spend a lot of money there. But, where else can you get socks and undies, diapers and formula, a new camera, oil for the car, coffee and a coffeemaker, cat food and dog food, makeup and a new pair of jeans all in one store and know that everything is good quality and have a pleasant time shopping?! It makes my life a lot easier. Pretty much the only things I need that I can't get at Target are meat and produce.

comicguy
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
We are now sown to once a month going to Walmart as we use to go every week. I have slowed down going there for all of the reasons that previous posters have stated. The only reason we continue to buy some products there is they are actually cheaper then K-Mart the only other department store here in town(at least until Target opens in Fall '08) I have tried to talk to management about some of the problems but it was like talking to a brick wall.

they do not value the customer at all

magicofdisney
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
My closest Wal-Mart just updated its look by putting in wood floors. It looks way more upscale than any Wal-Mart has a right to. ;) It's aesthetically pleasing. Now the other Wal-Mart, across town, pretty much fits the mold according to the OP's description. I will not willfully shop at that store.

2Epcot
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I love Target and only go into Wal-Mart if I absolutely have to get something on short notice. Luckily where I live now, I have 3 Target stores within a couple of miles of my home.

prprincess
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm definitely there with the rest of you. I try not to go to Wal-Mart for all of the reasons stated, and only go there as a last resort. On top of that, I have several friends who are artisans of handmade products on Etsy. They've opened my eyes to alot of the evils of Wal-Mart...apparently there is a documentary out on it that I must get my hands on.

BronxTigger
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
We don't have Wal*Marts here! :number1:

We do have a few Targets (one in the Bronx and a few others in other boroughs of NYC). My Target is INSANE. It has too many people than it can handle, but I still shop there because the only other "big box" alternative in the Bronx is a K-Mart.

I do shop at Wal*Mart when I go to my parents house or if I'm on a road trip. It's kind of a novelty how cheap everything is but the lines are always long and a lot of Wal*Marts (not quite all) are gritty and dirty.

As a side note, I was so proud of myself the other day when I went to Target and spent only $10.36! And that was for the 5 items I had gone in for! (Well, I went in for 4 items and got one on Christmas clearance LOL)

Melanie
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Good for you for sticking to your guns and saving that money!:thumbsup:

The only Wal*Mart I ever frequented was in La Plata, MD. It wasn't your typical cookie-cutter Wal*Mart, and was very well kept up. Not sure if it still is, as this was 5 or so years ago.

I'm a Target shopper all the way!

That said, I'd kill now to step into a Wal*Mart, KMart, Target, whatever. You really miss that kind of store when it's not accessible. My hubby is going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, and I've got my list all ready. And I think he's going to have to shop at Wal*Mart. ;)

princessjojo
01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: How I despise Wal*Mart. But here, we really have no other choice. The closest Target is 35miles away and the closest K-Mart is even farther. But I have held back lately. I do grocery shop in there on occasion, but I will price shop like it's my last penny. Not only do I find the sales staff rude and grungy themselves, but many of the other shoppers are the same way.

I ran in there over the holidays looking for bulbs for the window candles, that was all. I only went there because it was late and they were the only store open. Did they have what I was looking for, NO! Did anyone bother to help me, NO! When I asked for help, did they know what I was looking for, NO! But they wandered around like a lost child like they were trying to help after I told them they weren't where they were looking. I just gave up and walked away. DH actually won't let me go there alone after dark so that takes away some shopping time as well.

With any luck, we will soon have a shinny red new Target store in our area, actually closer than the Wal*Mart and since they tend to be slightly higher priced, maybe...:zipped:.....Call me a snob if you will, but I just can't take it any more.

NotaGeek
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
It might be shocking to you guys ... but I haven't shopped in a WalMart for at least 3 years. :silly:

There is honestly NO amount of cost savings that can force me to go to WalMart. EVER.

The last time I went to WalMart it was with my parents and I walked around in horror at the state of the place. :ack:

Here we go again...
01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
What are Bluelight laws?

Actually, I think she meant blue law.
We used the have blue laws here and all retail stores closed on Sunday. The law depends on your state... I sure miss that law. I am in retail so I hated when the stores started opening on Sunday. I love that Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A do not open on Sunday.... I hope they stay that way forever.

To the OP,
Congratulations! I shop at Walmart only because they have everything I need in one store. There are days that I am in too much pain to go to more than one store so I tend to stick with Walmart... but I HATE that store for all the reasons you listed and more.
Every time I go I say I won't be back but I go back anyway. I can't wait until the new Target opens here. The one we have now does not have every thing I need...

kakn7294
01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Good for you! My local grocery store closed in Oct and is supposed to be sold and reopened but that hasn't happened yet. It's killing me because I hate grocery shopping at Walmart (I will buy non-grocery products there) but it's just about my only choice for food shopping now. Our other grocery stores are expensive and/or inconvenient and Target only has limited grocery items.

2Epcot
01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
As a side note, I was so proud of myself the other day when I went to Target and spent only $10.36! And that was for the 5 items I had gone in for!

I have to admit that is my problem when I go to Target ... I almost always end up buying two or three things that I wasn't planning to purchase.

Melanie
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Actually, I think she meant blue law.
We used the have blue laws here and all retail stores closed on Sunday. The law depends on your state... I sure miss that law. I am in retail so I hated when the stores started opening on Sunday. I love that Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A do not open on Sunday.... I hope they stay that way forever..

I think the OP actually meant Bluelight law, meaning restrictive alcohol sales, presumably on Sundays. She mentioned her friend was in line before 12am, but didn't get to the checkout until after 12am so she couldn't purchase alcohol since it was Sunday already.

SAHDad
01-03-2008, 12:54 AM
What are Bluelight laws?

A blue law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law) is a law designed to enforce morals. Not the "Thou shall not kill" kind, but more like "Businesses cannot be open on Sunday" kind. Usually, they prohibit or restrict hours of operation on Sundays or certain holidays, prevent the sale of alcohol on Sundays, etc.

(Supposedly, when I was a baby, my parents talked a retailer into violating blue laws for them - he could sell them dog food for the family pet, but not diapers or a fuse for the fusebox, since both were prohibited sale items on a Sunday.)

Melanie
01-03-2008, 01:00 AM
A blue law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law)

Well, since the proper term is blue law :blush:, I guess this implies I may be hanging out in KMart too much (which isn't the case). :silly:

I still believe the OP was referring to alcohol sales.

Ian
01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
What are Bluelight laws?

I think the OP actually meant Bluelight law, meaning restrictive alcohol sales, presumably on Sundays. She mentioned her friend was in line before 12am, but didn't get to the checkout until after 12am so she couldn't purchase alcohol since it was Sunday already.Mel's got it right ... down South, there are many areas where you can't buy alcohol of any kind on Sunday.

Trust me ... I learned that the hard way visiting my friend at 'Bama back in the day. ;)

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
My closest Wal-Mart just updated its look by putting in wood floors. It looks way more upscale than any Wal-Mart has a right to. ;) It's aesthetically pleasing. Now the other Wal-Mart, across town, pretty much fits the mold according to the OP's description. I will not willfully shop at that store.

Ironically, the Wal-Mart I was referring to did the same thing in the early part of 2007 but it didn't help the store any. It's kinda like when a product's packaging changes but the product remains unchanged. On the product it will say: New Look, Same Great Taste! (or something to that effect). That's how I feel about what they did to the Walmart. They gave it a new look but didn't try to correct any of the ongoing problems within the store!

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
We don't have Wal*Marts here! :number1:

As a side note, I was so proud of myself the other day when I went to Target and spent only $10.36! And that was for the 5 items I had gone in for! (Well, I went in for 4 items and got one on Christmas clearance LOL)

My sister-in-law lives in Queens and they don't have a Walmart either. She loves to come down here so she can shop at Walmart but she was disappointed at Thanksgiving when I wouldn't take her there! DH took her but even he waited in the car. Way to Go Baby! :thumbsup:

When I go in Target, I have the opposite shopping experience. I actually spend less than I would at Walmart because I am able to just go in there and pick out what I need.

DizNee143
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
i barely shop at walmart..i only go there when my friends want to go and i just go along for the ride...or to get oil filters and oil for my fiances truck..since it seems they are the only ones that carry his oil filter and oil..other than that i am a target junkie!! now that store i LOVE!! :mickey:

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
What are Bluelight laws?

A blue law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law) is a law designed to enforce morals. Not the "Thou shall not kill" kind, but more like "Businesses cannot be open on Sunday" kind. Usually, they prohibit or restrict hours of operation on Sundays or certain holidays, prevent the sale of alcohol on Sundays, etc.

(Supposedly, when I was a baby, my parents talked a retailer into violating blue laws for them - he could sell them dog food for the family pet, but not diapers or a fuse for the fusebox, since both were prohibited sale items on a Sunday.)

:blush:
Since I'm the OP let me clear up what I meant. ;)
I meant to say blue laws but I guess I spend too much time in K-Mart too (practically lived there anytime we went to visit my Auntie) because bluelight came out. Sorry for the confusion. But then again, according to DD who finds it hilarious, I tend to type faster than I think.

Here it means that in certain parts of the county (and other parts of the state) we cannot buy non-grocery items before a certain time on Sundays. Alcohol is never sold on Sundays in stores (boy was that a shocker when I got a taste for a beer one Sunday afternoon shortly after moving to this state). You can only get the essentials. Some stores even go as far as roping off parts of the stores to keep shoppers away from non-grocery items.

My friend was last-minute Christmas shopping. She got to the store at about 10:30 and had a mix of grocery and non-grocery items. At approx. 11:25 she stood in line (only 3 lines were open) only to get to the actual checkout counter and the gentleman told her that he doesn't do grocery items in that line; she needs to go to the other line in the grocery side. So she goes over to that line, waits for a while, and once she gets to the checkout.....BAM it's after midnight and the cashier tells her that she cannot buy anything non-grocery. The cashier begins pulling things out of her cart and throwing them on the checkout counter behind her. My friend is very upset and asks to speak to a manager. Low and behold, the cashier IS THE MANAGER. They get into an argument and the manager tells her that the law is the law and she is not going to break the law for anyone. The manager then WALKS away from the register, throws her hands up, and says very loudly "I'm not dealing with this <expletive that rhymes with fit>" and refuses to come back to the register. By now, all the other customers are in an uproar because they have been waiting too and cannot get their items. My friend leaves everything there and immediately calls me from the parking lot. And like a loving friend, what do I say?.........."Told You So"! :cool:

mjaclyn
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Our local Wal-Mart is absolutely disgusting. I never EVER go in there unless it is a dire emergency. I prefer to shop at local grocery stores or Target - LOVE Target!

c&d
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a funny story to tell about Wal Mart. I've only been to it once and that was plenty for me. The store was dirty and really messy.

Anyway my aunt is up visiting from MD for the holidays and a WalMart ad comes on about Ipods and the condensed version is the mother says I didn't know you could buy Ipods at WalMart. My aunt looks at me and says, how could she not know that. She was completely shocked that this women didn't know that and how could she possibly not know that. I looked at her and said up here we're pretty much all Target shoppers, our nearest WalMart is about 15 miles away. For the rest of the visit we laughed every time the Ipod commerical came on and it came on a lot.

wdw_bound
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I drive past two Wal-Marts to get to Target. DH jokes that if I don't visit at least once a week and spend my usual minimum ($75), the store manager will send me a get-well card.

Our Walmarts are just plain creepy and dirty. I will say, though, I've been to one in Orlando (somewhere near Calypso Bay) and it was very different. However, it was clear it catered to international tourists as the whole wall by the entryway was stacked high with Heinz Beans and Orange squash.

To the OP - our town just reduced blue laws a few years ago. I remember it was very confusing, as not even all grocery items were allowed, and yet other sometimes bizarro things like batteries and engine parts were. Glad that's over with!

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
It might be shocking to you guys ... but I haven't shopped in a WalMart for at least 3 years. :silly:

There is honestly NO amount of cost savings that can force me to go to WalMart. EVER.

:thumbsup: Wow! That's impressive. I told DH that if we can make it through this holiday season then we can make it forever!

I will say that Wal-Mart managed to fuel my dislike for them when I saw a Bratz doll my daughter wanted at Target for $19.95 and Wal-Mart was selling it online for $10.00 :confused: ?? How does that happen? I always compare prices online even if I don't shop at a particular store just to make sure what I am purchasing is worth it.

ncscgirl2005
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a funny story to tell about Wal Mart. I've only been to it once and that was plenty for me. The store was dirty and really messy.

Anyway my aunt is up visiting from MD for the holidays and a WalMart ad comes on about Ipods and the condensed version is the mother says I didn't know you could buy Ipods at WalMart. My aunt looks at me and says, how could she not know that. She was completely shocked that this women didn't know that and how could she possibly not know that. I looked at her and said up here we're pretty much all Target shoppers, our nearest WalMart is about 15 miles away. For the rest of the visit we laughed every time the Ipod commerical came on and it came on a lot.

LOL! What did your mom think they sold "like stuff for walls?"

Just kidding. Anybody that watched the first season of The Simple Life with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie (yes, that was once my guilty viewing pleasure) a few years back will be able to relate to that.

RenDuran
01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I've been anti-Walmart for at least 10 years. The "deals" just aren't worth slugging my way through crowds of brain-dead shoppers. Plus, my husband is a union guy, and Walmart is extremely anti-union.

MsMin
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
For years the Walmart was so much better than K-mart, in fact we no longer have Kmarts here. They were as you describe and Walmart was a better place to shop and still is. I rarely have more than one person in line in front of me but I do use the self check out when I don't have alcohol. I prefer to watch the prices that way.
I made the mistake of going to a Walmart in Baltimore when my son moved up there. Getting things like shower curtains etc. and it was just as everyone describes here very nasty and disorganized, messy etc. So I've seen what the bad ones look like.
We have blue laws here but only for alcohol. But Walmart lets you purchase liquor up until 2am and then on Sunday you can buy beer @ noon. New Orleans doesn't have these laws so it does take some adjusting to them.
I do like the fact that it's open 24 hours and if you have an emergency like run out of printer ink at 3am it's available.
I do think it destroys the "mom and pop" retailers and I agree that it's bad for that and another thing that some don't realize is that their products are often specially pkg'd for them. I know they have the same labels on some coffees but it's a cheaper grade so they can sell it cheaper so often you get what you pay for.
I'm not real impressed w/ our target.
This Christmas I managed to avoid Best Buy. Didn't purchase a single thing. Bought a lot online @ amazon and Target and swore I wouldn't use Target next year b/c they canceled some orders 5 days before Christmas and others took much longer to ship than stated.

Ian
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I saw a segment on 60 Minutes this past weekend that didn't directly relate to Wal-Mart, but it definitely had some lessons in there about "Wal-Mart Economics" ...

The story was about the Geek Squad. For those of you not familiar with them, they're a company that will come out to your house and handle any techincal issues you may have for you. For example, they'll set up your new PC, troubleshoot computer issues, set up your HDTV, set the clock on your VCR ... whatever you need.

But the story was about how they were founded. Basically, without going into too much detail, they were saying that since America has become a country where bottom line shopping is the norm, companies have essentially done away with any kind of real customer service to help keep prices low.

Basically, companies feel that Americans shop based solely on price and, therefore, getting the sale is the important thing and ... well ... keeping people as loyal customers isn't a big deal. So they've basically abandoned all pretense of providing or caring about good customer service in favor of outsourcing everything to the cheapest place they can find.

So basically Geek Squad formed to fill the void. Although the ironic thing is, most Americans don't realize that they're actually spending MORE to buy a cheap product and then pay Geek Squad to set it up for them than if they just paid a reasonable price for the item in the first place.

Honestly, the whole story was kinda scary. It got me thinking ... how far can this go?? I mean don't companies just get to the point where they can't cut costs any further? Then what?

The dark side of capitalism, huh?

alphamommy
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Congrats on avoiding Walmart. I've managed to stay away for almost 2 years (but I may have to break the rule to get the newest Eagles CD).

A friend of mine has a cousin who is a VP at a major packaged food producer. The cousin told my friend a story about Walmart's attempt to "extort" the food producer into selling them products for WAY under the cost to make them. When the food company refused, Walmart supposedly sent samples of the products they wanted to some foreign company, and paid them to duplicate it for the low price.

The bottom line is, many of the "name brand" products sold at Walmart are likely knock-offs that may or may not measure up to the actual product. I'm not sure how they get away with this (given copyright laws), but that's the story I got.

I love Target, and do my grocery shopping at either Meijer's or Krogers.

Tammy

Disney Doll
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Good for you! We've been boycotting Wal-Mart for a few years now for all the reasons you described and more. We don't miss it at all. I drive past a Wal-Mart Super Center and a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market to buy my groceries at a local place. I may end up paying a tad more, but it's worth it to me to feel good about what I support with my money. My loyalty can't be bought by the lowest bidder.

Ian
01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I may end up paying a tad more, but it's worth it to me to feel good about what I support with my money. My loyalty can't be bought by the lowest bidder.Good for you! I feel the exact same way ...

If more Americans did, half the problems people spend their days complaining about wouldn't exist.

There's more to deciding what goods and services to purchase than just the price.

conorsmom2000
01-03-2008, 07:35 PM
My Union husband bans me from going to Wal*Mart so I've honestly never stepped foot in one. Honestly, they aren't that close to me - the closest one is a good 30 minutes away.

Target, on the other hand, is only 15 minutes away..... :cloud9:

My county also has the Blue Laws, where most retail is closed on Sunday. You can purchase liquor, though, but after 12 pm.... :beer:

LCPZA
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I gave up on WalMart in December 2002 when my Dad died and my aunt came to town and told me a story. To make this story short.. my cousin is mentally and somewhat physically handicapped from a Drunk Driver.. she works for Walmart (slavemart) putting their brand of mens belt buckels, suspenders, and something else together and gets paid .25 cents an hour. They say the benefit of them getting to do this is better for them. It makes them feel good and it gives them Physical Therapy. My aunt wants her to leave from this job however because of her mental state she loves it and my aunt does not want to hurt her feelings.
Anyway it's not about the money- I agree that it is good for them however Walmart makes millions and as far as I am concerned they take advantage of these people SO for this reason I will NEVER SHOP AT WALMART AGAIN!!
I got a slavemart giftcard for xmas and had to re-gift it:secret: oh well the person I gave it to can use it more than I can.
The other reasons I have always hated this place was-DIrty-rude service-prices are never correct-unorganized-and at times I think they can be dangerous towards the last few hours when they put stock in the middle of the floors. One day someone will fall and get hurt and hit them with a big one!!

ncscgirl2005
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I got a slavemart giftcard for xmas and had to re-gift it:secret: oh well the person I gave it to can use it more than I can.

My daughter has a $25 gift card from Wal-Mart that we have been trying to figure out how to get rid of without spending it. I could give it as a gift but it has the Bratz characters on it so adults are out of the question. I may eventually trade it for the cash and give her the loot. She'll like that better anyway since she like to brag that she has more money than her parents (and sometimes she's right! :secret:)

ncscgirl2005
01-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I gave up on WalMart in December 2002 when my Dad died and my aunt came to town and told me a story. To make this story short.. my cousin is mentally and somewhat physically handicapped from a Drunk Driver.. she works for Walmart (slavemart) putting their brand of mens belt buckels, suspenders, and something else together and gets paid .25 cents an hour. They say the benefit of them getting to do this is better for them. It makes them feel good and it gives them Physical Therapy. My aunt wants her to leave from this job however because of her mental state she loves it and my aunt does not want to hurt her feelings.
Anyway it's not about the money- I agree that it is good for them however Walmart makes millions and as far as I am concerned they take advantage of these people SO for this reason I will NEVER SHOP AT WALMART AGAIN!!

OMG, what a horrible story. I'm glad your cousin has something to do that she loves and I know thats really important to her. I have a mentally handicapped friend that goes to a local business to volunteer every day of the week just because she loves it and it's something she's good at . But good grief Wal-Mart!
I couldn't stand the thought of pumping more of my money into that monster who makes billions but can't even have a decent restroom. The last time they tried to fix up their bathrooms, it looked like they gave a bunch of 4 year olds a paint brush and a ladder and told them to be "creative".

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
My daughter has a $25 gift card from Wal-Mart that we have been trying to figure out how to get rid of without spending it. I could give it as a gift but it has the Bratz characters on it so adults are out of the question. I may eventually trade it for the cash and give her the loot. She'll like that better anyway since she like to brag that she has more money than her parents (and sometimes she's right! :secret:)

sell it on ebay for like 22.50 buy it now... people will buy it quick. i got a victoria secret gift card one year and i am not the smallest of girls and have an, um, well endowed chest... so nothin fits me in there. had to sell it and i sold a $20 card for $18 w/ free shipping and it sold in the first hour.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I went to Walmart on Black Friday to pick up a couple of things. They had to have a cop in the parking lot to keep the mob organized! I grabbed what I needed and left within 15 minutes. I then went to Target to grab something when they opened. What a difference in the customers!!! Much more sane group of people. I walked in and went over to the camera dept and a sales associate approached me and asked me what I was looking for, got it and handed it to me! It took me all of 3 minutes!
The only thing I go to Walmart for is cleaning supplies and deoderant and shampoo type stuff.
Our local store reorganized/moved everything. I personally think it was because of people like me who went in, went to exactly what they needed, got it and left. Now they make us search for what we used to be able to find right away in the hopes that we will buy more.

conorsmom2000
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
sell it on ebay for like 22.50 buy it now... people will buy it quick. i got a victoria secret gift card one year and i am not the smallest of girls and have an, um, well endowed chest... so nothin fits me in there. had to sell it and i sold a $20 card for $18 w/ free shipping and it sold in the first hour.

I was going to sugget the same thing! I've sold gift cards that we couldn't use on ebay before - just put the buy it now $1 or $2 less, offer free shipping and they go fast!

DisneyDudet
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
We go to Wal Mart for groceries and thats about it. Around us, it is growing so much that no matter what store you go to, you will have a mob. So, we decide on the cheapest, since it will be the same no matter where.

Now, for other things, we shop at Target. We find that Target's grocery selection isn't enough, and the other stores have to raise their prices b/c of Wal Mart.

We love Target! They are building a new Wal Mart near our house, and it is designed like the ritzy part of the metroplex's one, with actual wood floors and such. We'll visit it, until it turns gross like all the others.

So good for you to keep your ground and not to go!

LCPZA, is this person working for walmart?? If so, I would report them the the Dept Of Labor, as they are not being paid minimum wage, which is required in this country. I sure hope that Wal Mart gets in trouble for what they are doing to that young person.

jillluvsdisney
01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
My father is very anti Wal Mart. I'm kind of surprised to read so may others share his opinion. I agree with everything said here. Wal Mart does not pay their workers fairly or give them affordable health insurance. Almost all of their merchandise is from China also. That's why my Father refused to spend money there. I like Target. The Wal Mart here in Kenosha is kind of nasty

magicofdisney
01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I went to Walmart on Black Friday to pick up a couple of things. They had to have a cop in the parking lot to keep the mob organized!
The use of police patrols was not limited to your Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Where I live, they had them at Best Buy and Target as well. Possibly other stores but I didn't visit them all. What I can tell you is Black Friday was unbelievable in my neck of the woods. It almost had to be seen to be believed.

ncscgirl2005
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I was going to sugget the same thing! I've sold gift cards that we couldn't use on ebay before - just put the buy it now $1 or $2 less, offer free shipping and they go fast!

Good Idea. Thanks!

DrivingSideways
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I've worked for Target since I was 16 years old (8 years now), and y'all are making me blush! It's really nice to work for a company that so many people from various backgrounds feel good about.

Interesting Target Tidbit: All of our customers are "guests." We freely admit that we picked this up from Disney. ;)

BronxTigger
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I've worked for Target since I was 16 years old (8 years now), and y'all are making me blush! It's really nice to work for a company that so many people from various backgrounds feel good about.

Interesting Target Tidbit: All of our customers are "guests." We freely admit that we picked this up from Disney. ;)

I've worked for Target before...twice. Once in high school, when I worked at Food Avenue. I was trying to move out of that area and into cashiering when my family moved so I had to resign. Then again during college I worked at Target, but I was a cashier and then they moved me over to Guest Services (returns, etc). I would have stayed there a while longer but I moved so I had to resign (again)!

tinksmom02
01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I despise Walmart for all of the reasons mentioned--it's filthy, the aisles are always a mess, employees are rude, lines are always ridiculous, and their bathrooms are always disgusting. Plus, it seems that the customers that frequent Walmart regularly are...less than polite (why IS that)?

I LOVE Target, and I find that their products are a higher quality, as well (just picked up new dishes there today, as a matter of fact LOL).

DD got some duplicate Xmas gifts that came from Walmart, so we did the return line Thursday (over two weeks after Christmas). The cashier was nice enough, but we were in line for twenty minutes! I can only imagine what the lines were like immediately after Christmas!

Today, returned something at Target. Took all of 45 seconds.

BUT, like others have said, it's WAY too easy to overspend at Target. I try to limit my visits, because I know I'm going to drop at least $100 each time. And I don't generally shop for food there.

Not a big fan of KMart, either. Would probably rank it well below Walmart, actually, in terms of cleaniness and customer service.

ncscgirl2005
01-07-2008, 09:09 AM

How wonderful. I love how Target will not allow their lines to get backed up (at least my Target didn't). I don't know Target's exactly policy for that but during the Christmas season, I always saw a manager at the back of the lines watching to see if the lines were moving fast enough. They did not hesitate to pull employees from other areas and put them on the registers to get the crowds moving. I never spent more than 10 minutes in any line at Target over the Christmas season!!!

Dixie Springs
01-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I guess I'm sort of neutral regarding the discount stores thing. I must be out of it or something. My loyalty is with price, not a particular retailer. I'm thankful for all of America's retail competition.

Maybe it's a guy thing - I find the best price, run in, buy it, then run out. I don't really 'like' any stores (okay - maybe WDW shops ;)).

katzctkpt
01-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to ban Walmart. I only go there as a last resort. I swore them off when they stopped the layaway program. I used it during Christmas so, I didn't have to charge and it did help. This yr most items were purchased elsewhere and very little from Walmart. Next yr I hope to avoid them all together. I like Target, just wish they'd let the Salvation Army set up the buckets during the holiday season.

ncscgirl2005
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I swore them off when they stopped the layaway program. I used it during Christmas so, I didn't have to charge and it did help.

My aunts and cousins were so angry when they stopped the layaway program.
I used the layaway program for back-to-school supplies. When they first put back-to-school supplies out on the shelves in late June/early July I would put the supplies my kids needed along with their uniforms on layaway so that I didn't have to fight the crowds during the normal back-to-school crowds. All I had to do was go to the layaway dept and pick up my box. And that kept me from having to find a place to store the supplies for over a month until school started. The layaway program came in handy during those times.

minnie1956
01-08-2008, 10:54 PM
1) WalMart pays minimum wage like McDonalds, BK & others. It's a service industry folks! Not meant to be a 40 hour paycheck to support an entire family. That so many people here have decided for WHATEVER reason not to further their education, doesn't leave many employment options.
2) I blame the customers for the mess. I can't tell you how many times I will watch "loving Mommies & Daddies" let junior & his sister tear the place apart "playing" so they can get the shopping done. Let's not even talk about the parents who feel it's acceptable to eat a meal while walking around and ditch the wrappers. I digress. You have no idea how hard it is to clean up after these slobs. I will NEVER work retail again because of this. I can't tell you how many I pick up after other shoppers because they can't be bothered to bend over and pick up something THEY knocked over.
I digress again.
3) I do not like the so much of WalMart's stuff comes from China. So, I am making conscious decisions to choose more expensive shrimp from Louisiana instead of cheaper shrimp from
Vietman or China.
If I can buy butter for $1.89 from WalMart or Aldi's instead of $2.59 from Jewel, I will buy from Walmart or Aldi & put what I can save aside for my Disney vacations. Hubby's industry has been hurting for several years. Raises to our bottom line have been minimal for him. I like our Super WalMart, I don't buy everything there, but I do buy there. Our's is a Super Walmart and one of the cleanest in the area. Even the bathrooms. I also teach my daughter that to be fair, you have to stop by the Mom & Pops too or they will be gone. We try to spread the wealth, so to speak. Off my soap box.

DrivingSideways
01-09-2008, 01:05 AM
How wonderful. I love how Target will not allow their lines to get backed up (at least my Target didn't). I don't know Target's exactly policy for that but during the Christmas season, I always saw a manager at the back of the lines watching to see if the lines were moving fast enough. They did not hesitate to pull employees from other areas and put them on the registers to get the crowds moving. I never spent more than 10 minutes in any line at Target over the Christmas season!!!

That's our policy. If there are more than 2 guests in line waiting, we open more registers. Of course, it varies a lot. If the backup cashiers (i.e. the salesfloor team) is with a guest, they can't come up to help. We definitely do our absolute best though! Thanks for the props! :)