PDA

View Full Version : OKW Extension Offer

Lisa and Alan
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I am looking for input for the extension offer for OKW. There is an offer to extend the DVC membership there for 15 years for an additional $15/pt. (through 02/29/08). Anyone have any opinions? At $25/pt it was a no-brainer but at $15 I'm not so sure. Here are some of our thoughts so far. First as it is we will be 72 in 2042 so we would then be 87 in 2057 when they expire. Not sure we'll be able to vacation as much then. Also we have points at HH & VWL and our guide was not sure if the offer would be extended to those resorts as well. The only other thought was there could be an increased resale value to the points with the additional years but would it be enough. Any input is appreciated.

dlpmikki
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I presume you mean at $25 it was a no brainer to say No. We are going to be a bit older than you when OKW expires and we have no kids to hand down to. If you have someone who would want to use the extra years it may be a good idea. It will probably add to resale value but maybe not up to the ost of extension level. It really is down to personal circumstances if you think it is right for you. It isn't for us, and for many folk who bought in early, but for others it is a great idea.

Ian
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
If you have kids who love Disney (love ... not like) and the financial wherewithal to fork over the $15 per point without financing, then I'd say go for it.

If not, then I tend to agree with you ... the years between 72 and 87 may not end up being prime WDW visiting years for you and if you have no one to leave it to well ...

DVC Mike
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Before, DVC was selling OKW contracts that expired in 2042 for $92. Now, DVC is selling OKW contracts that expire in 2057 for $96. It seems like DVC values the extension at only $4. So why are they asking $15?

I've seen a lot of back and forth on other boards regarding this topic.

Why pay DVC cash upfront for something you can't use for almost 35 years?

I would rather take the money and buy more points now that you could use today.

Horizon93
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
As Ian said, if you have children that you would leave your DVC ownership to, or who you would allow use of your points if you no longer were able to go as frequently, and you can afford it, it makes sense.

DVC Mike also makes a good point, but the deal is what the deal is to extend.

I will be 98 when my AKV contract expires and I hope to be looking for an extensionwhen I get there. Who knows with all of the great medical advances in our time. I mean, I can dream, right?

Good luck with your decision.

Ian
01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Why pay DVC cash upfront for something you can't use for almost 35 years?

I would rather take the money and buy more points now that you could use today.Actually, that's a really good point. You could just buy at SSR or VAKL instead.

Although, I will say I like the idea of them offering extensions. I'm hoping this continues forever so my kids can buy extensions of our points when we're gone and they take ownership.