PDA

View Full Version : Upset about gratuities not included

jaredkari
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
This is the post we made on the disney website regarding our feelings on gratuities no longer being included in the dining plan...

We were EXTREMELY UPSET to learn that gratuities are not included in the disney dining plan. Like most other people that purchase the dining plan, our goal was to be able to have a strict budget ahead of time, and not have to carry any cash (other than spending money) around the resort. When we were there in 2006, gratuities were included, and we figured it would be the same this time. No where on the site was there a "big announcement" (there was some small bold print, but nothing that really stood out) stating that guests should prepare to leave gratuities at restaurants (which amounts to large sums of money at the nicer restaurants, which we never would have chosen to eat at if we knew that gratuities were not included...gratuity can be up to $30 for two people). The staff at Disney has always been so helpful, including the wait staff at the restaurants, and we will be unable to leave them an adequate tip to reflect the quality service because we did not plan on having to leave gratuities. How sad for such wonderful staff to not be paid for a job well done...but it seems that is what Disney is going toward now. Very disappointing. We will likely not purchase the dining plan in the future, as we will probably stick to counter service meals, which is what we did before we fell in love with the previous, GRATUITIES INCLUDED dining plan.

What are everyone else's thoughts???

azcavalier
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
It was nice to have the gratuity included, but it doesn't surprise me at all that they have removed it. Honestly, the first time that we used the DDP, it was surprising to us that gratuity WAS included. The amount of a tip should be between the customer and the server. It's how you show/reward the server for their attitude, attentiveness, and quality of service. There were times when we wanted to tip far less than what was included in the DDP, and some times when we thought the server deserved more (and in those cases, we made sure to find and tell the manager how wonderful they were). So, i'm alright with the gratuity not being included anymore. I like that flexibility of determining for myself. Besides, the DDP is still a huge savings IF you eat at the sit down restaurants, and with all that you spend going to WDW anyway...well, will that extra cash for tips really kill you?

Nurse Kim
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
If we are not on the dining plan do they include the gratuity on our bill? We always leave an appropriate tip and have allotted for that in our budget but would like to control what I leave based on the service we receive. I was a waitress for many years so I always make sure what we leave is appropriate.

Samtastic
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
While it was a dissappointment it wasn't included this time around, I do think it's for the best. Many people were claiming sub-par service and I think it should be between the patron and server.

jwildflower1981
01-02-2008, 12:21 PM
It is dissapointing that they changed the DP, the tip thing doesn't bother me as much as taking the appatizer away.:mad:DH and I don't ever eat the dessert. If they would allow us the option of either or I would continue using the plan, otherwise I think we'll stick to CS meals, and just a few nice meals we'll treat ourselves to.

IloveDisney71
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I was upset about the changes to the DDP too, but after our poor service on the plan from Dec. 15 - 19th, I think that maybe leaving the tips up to the guest will help improve service. We only had one good server out of 5 table service meals. He was awesome but the other 4 were some of the worst we've ever had at Disney.
I've used the DDP on two previous trips and didn't have problems with service, but this last time was pretty bad.
We think we will probably skip the DDP in the future and just pick 2 or 3 special restaurants to splurge at during our trips.

Charlenne
01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I would have no problem with them taking the gratuity off and leaving off the appetizer IF they had lowered the price, but instead they take away two things and lower the price by $1 I think it was. To me that's just not worth it anymore. I can't afford to have to pay for the dining plan and then have to shell out the tip at each meal. We will unfortunately have to go back to the counter service meals like we used to do.

sassafras
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
In a way, I wish the gratuities were still included; however, after having probably the worst service we ever had at DW in May at Cap'n Jack's, I think the level of service had declined. I would have thought the price of the DDP would have dropped more than it did, or they should have still left the appetizer on the plan or be given the option of appetizer or dessert . We're going back in May and I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for tips. Guess we'll just play it by ear as to what we'll do after this trip!

Charlenne
01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
In doing research my sister and I can eat very well at counter service (including snacks) for under $50/day.

It makes more sense now to go back to doing that versus paying for the dining plan, then having to pay the tip out of pocket.

I really enjoyed trying new restaurants, but we are just as happy eating at counter services places (except I may have to splurge and do Le Cellier one day).

pogo
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
This didn't affect us ever, because we never bought the dinning plan. We eat at CS except for once or twice we'll do TS. But we don't eat out much during the year anyways so we are not used to it.

I think Disney used the excuse of improving service as a way of getting the guests to pay more. Incresing the bottom line ! :mickey: Just my opinion ! :D

jaredkari
01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree that they should let guests on the DDP either choose an appetizer or dessert...like someone mentioned, maybe some folks don't have the sweet tooth that I have;), and would rather have the appetizer...costs are comparable between the two. It is sad that they are taking away parts of the plan, but hardly ( I agree, why even bother reducing the price if it is only going to be $1??) reducing the cost. I think part of the plan was to get people like us into the fancier restaurants (since many people do just stick to counter service because it is so much more expensive to eat at table service restaurants) so we could thoroughly enjoy the food, then to slowly begin taking things away, at the same price to make money. Sad. It takes away some of the Disney magic, because we won't be doing table service anymore, but we gotta pay the bills! :mickey:

jaredkari
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
And Nurse Kim awesome that you are a nurse by the way...me too:) :medic:, they do not include gratuities if you aren't on the dining plan either...as far as I know...possibly if you have a larger party????

Seasonscraps
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
It's kind of disappointing that tips are no longer included with the plan now. It was so convenient to not even have to think about it, although we would add a couple of exra dollars for superior service (we lucked out with always getting good service). It always felt a like a deal that was too good to be true and figured there would be changes that would make the plan more profitable to Disney. Even though it will cost more, I still plan to tip appropriately.

jszczur5
01-03-2008, 12:51 AM
It is dissapointing that they changed the DP, the tip thing doesn't bother me as much as taking the appatizer away.:mad:DH and I don't ever eat the dessert. If they would allow us the option of either or I would continue using the plan, otherwise I think we'll stick to CS meals, and just a few nice meals we'll treat ourselves to.

I haven't been on this site for a while (months actually) and this was the sentiment way back in the fall - allow people the option of choosing either an appetizer or a dessert. Our family of four would have been quite happy to order two of each, and share. I can't believe, after the brouhaha and e-mails and phone calls to Disney by Intercottees that this was not changed. How disappointing.
Regarding the tip policy change, I can assure your that unless service improves dramatically, there are going to be a lot of servers finding a $5 bill for a tip on a four person tab. I couldn't believe the difference (read- decline) in the service we received between '06 and '07. And, because we were there during the period of Free Dining (I know, not really free), some servers were almost surly.
I find the DDP to be a great plan when offered during the "free" period. It is worth giving up all other discounts for. But, with the new changes, I'm pretty sure that we would not pay for it out-of-pocket now, whereas we would have.

dmosher
01-03-2008, 01:30 AM
This is why I am happy I don't live in a pklace where tipping is expected.
Here, you tip if you get OUTSTANDING service at best! The reason for that??? Because we actually pay our employees a fair wage, not some sad min wage that no one can possibly live on.
Sadly it does put a damper on eating at WDW, because we are simply not use to having to tip. Will we, yes..,. I was a server and bartender when I was younger, but still the service has to be very good to get a tip. Sorry that's just how it is. I remember having a bad day and being off when I was waiting tables/drinks, but when my shift was over I wasn't really surprised that my tips consisted of a few random coin s and a card someone left me for a free consultation with a therapist.:unsure:
Very Nice.
:pipes:
D

Nurse Kim
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
And Nurse Kim awesome that you are a nurse by the way...me too:) :medic:, they do not include gratuities if you aren't on the dining plan either...as far as I know...possibly if you have a larger party????

Thank you for answering my question. My DH thinks I am insane putting so mcuh effort into planning this vacation. He thinks we should be able to just pick up and go with no planning. I refuse to go unless everything is planned. It comes from being a nurse and having to be time efficient. LOL! I haven't been a nurse for long and I am currently in RN school (I'm just and LPN) but I love it.