PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 MOMS & MOMS-to-BE Club!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Terra
01-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Wow had it really been almost 2 years????? I can't believe the old thread really took off like that!! Yay!!!!!

Okay ladies...how did New Year's go????
I was asleep by 8pm!! LOL...DH was sick and just played video games...I told him to wake me up at midnight.....I'm finding as I get older and have a family now...I'd rather be home with my family celebrating the new year and ringing it in with the people I love most:cloud9: Can't wait for next New Year when the new baby is here too!!

prprincess
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Subscribing!!

I saw the request to start a new thread last night, but I felt weird doing it since I've been MIA for a while...a bit engrossed in the holidays and planning our April 08 trip, which I must say is hard because for some reason, no one is commenting to my posts!!

Anyway, our New Year's Eve was pretty low-key, too. The boys were in bed by 8pm. I was up until midnight, but only because I was watching something on TV that didn't end until then. I honestly don't care for NYE.

Dakota Rose
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm such a moron. I scanned right past this thread looking for the new one and didn't even see it. So I "started" a new one. Someone just delete it, ok? I swear this pregnancy has made me totally dingy.

New Year's was ok for us. Watched movies with my dad since it is his birthday. Went to bed around 1am. Had to take 2 naps yesterday to make up for it. LOL.

Fallendroplet
01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
New Years...let's see...I complained alot about my neighbors loud music and blaring bass...and my hubby and I played video games all night. Even before I was pregnant, I never really went out on NYE. Except for last year...my hubby took me to Disney...MGM...and proposed to me!!

Terra
01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
I'm such a moron. I scanned right past this thread looking for the new one and didn't even see it. So I "started" a new one. Someone just delete it, ok? I swear this pregnancy has made me totally dingy.

New Year's was ok for us. Watched movies with my dad since it is his birthday. Went to bed around 1am. Had to take 2 naps yesterday to make up for it. LOL.

Ahhhhh....gotta love pregnancy brain....I have that alot too!! :D
Oh man...I take 2 naps a day even when I'm in bed early....so you're doing better than me...:blush:

New Years...let's see...I complained alot about my neighbors loud music and blaring bass...and my hubby and I played video games all night. Even before I was pregnant, I never really went out on NYE. Except for last year...my hubby took me to Disney...MGM...and proposed to me!!

Okay that is a GREAT reason to go out!! That's an exciting proposal!!!!

mjaclyn
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
What happened to the other Moms to be club sticky thread? I liked going through the old posts - especially reading what I was feeling while I was pregnant. Anyone know what happened to it?

Lizzy
01-04-2008, 08:15 AM
uuuuuugggghhhhh......sleeeeeep, need sleep

Just checking in for the new year! PJ is doing great, though I wish he would sleep a little longer at night. 3 weeks old today!

mouseaddict
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello ladies (and a few gents) and happy new year. I have not been on much lately, but I thought I would pop in to say hello.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate). We had a wonderful holiday, Mackenzie was pretty excited to open presents. We think that she may be lactose intolerant since she had the runs on and off for 2 weeks. After taking everything out of her diet and slowly addin back it looks like the whole milk did it. So we are switching to soy today to see what happens.
We should be finding out what you crazy pregnant ladies are having pretty soon..should we start a pool?
Take care of yourselves and get lots of rest.

Terra
01-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh Michelle I sure hope she is feeling better now!! And it's so hard when they are little because they can't tell you anything!!

Well I had my first Level 3 ultrasound screen...[I'm almost 14 weeks!! WOW!!!] and we found out that.....

ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited....of course it didn't matter in the end, but I was hoping for another boy so I would have of the same close in age and when they are both out of room I want them to share a room!!! ANd I won't have to buy anything either except some new cloth diapers and some onsies [since the baby is coming right in the middle of the hot Florida summer! lol]....

harlowandthemermaid
01-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Jeff was away so Vivien and I had a nice quiet night at home. I seriously think I was in bed at 10 and suprisingly there was no noise to speak of. I couldn't believe it!
Vivien will be 7 months old this week! I will send out some new links to pics soon. I've started our trip report from December but haven't gotten to the pics yet but the reports are up if you want to check them out!

Speaking of old mom's threads makes me think of the old thread from when I was pregnant with Sam. I remember that someone else was due around the same time as me and people were betting on who would go first(it wasn't me)
Hope everyone is doing well. We had a shot of warm weather so it's been unseasonable warm here the past few days, close to 70, which is unheard of in Maryland in January.

prprincess
01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh Michelle I sure hope she is feeling better now!! And it's so hard when they are little because they can't tell you anything!!

Well I had my first Level 3 ultrasound screen...[I'm almost 14 weeks!! WOW!!!] and we found out that.....

ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited....of course it didn't matter in the end, but I was hoping for another boy so I would have of the same close in age and when they are both out of room I want them to share a room!!! ANd I won't have to buy anything either except some new cloth diapers and some onsies [since the baby is coming right in the middle of the hot Florida summer! lol]....Congratulations! Have you guys started thinking of names yet?

I have two boys about 2 1/2 years apart and it's great--little playmates. Like you said, you don't have to buy too many new things--it's definitely a money saver!

May524
01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
CONGRATS Terra!!! :party:

I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant! WOOHOO! I can't wait for March to get here...I'm going stir crazy!

Terra
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Jeff was away so Vivien and I had a nice quiet night at home. I seriously think I was in bed at 10 and suprisingly there was no noise to speak of. I couldn't believe it!
Vivien will be 7 months old this week! I will send out some new links to pics soon. I've started our trip report from December but haven't gotten to the pics yet but the reports are up if you want to check them out!

Speaking of old mom's threads makes me think of the old thread from when I was pregnant with Sam. I remember that someone else was due around the same time as me and people were betting on who would go first(it wasn't me)
Hope everyone is doing well. We had a shot of warm weather so it's been unseasonable warm here the past few days, close to 70, which is unheard of in Maryland in January.

I am loving your disney pics!!!!!!!! I so wish I could have caught you when you were down!!!!
She is so cute! And getting so big!!

Congratulations! Have you guys started thinking of names yet?

I have two boys about 2 1/2 years apart and it's great--little playmates. Like you said, you don't have to buy too many new things--it's definitely a money saver!

I'm loving the money saving part!! LOL...

Well I have a few names....we just found out on Monday so we haven't really sat down and discussed it yet...
But I love:'
Josiah
Levi
Ezra
All of which I'm sure DH will hate...LOL....I think I was almost 7 or 8 months before we finally agreed on David's name!

CONGRATS Terra!!! :party:

I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant! WOOHOO! I can't wait for March to get here...I'm going stir crazy!

Oh boy, won't be long now!!!! My best friend is due March 29....I'm guessing you are in the middle of march!!!!!!

Lizzy
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Congrats Terra! Don't sweat it about the name. It will come to you when you see his beautiful face. Look at me, I didn't finally settle on what it would be until they came in with the birth certificate paperwork! :blush:

Mel your daughter gets more beautiful every day.

Terra
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Well it's official....I can't have a VBAC....the other yucky practice I was at doesn't allow it and neither does this one...mostly due to lawsuits...[silly sue happy people!]

I dont' want to change to yet another practice because I really do love this one....so the only other way would be to have a homebirth with a midwife and no way did DH go for that one....He didn't even want me to do a VBAC because of the pain and what I went through with David...lol...which wasn't so bad that I wouldn't do it again...

But I am at least seeing the midwife in the practice alot through my pregnancy so that is nice to have someone who does advocate for me and supports my birth and parenting choices...

I did tell her my biggest reason for not wanting the C section is because it was almost an hour and half before I saw David and was able to nurse and I really wanted to nurse right away [I had such issues with David because the nurses began sneaking him formula bottles after I explicitly told them NO formula or bottles...] So I had milk supply issues from the beginning...I went to the LLL and saw LC's and it was just not happening...but I did get 5 months of nursing in...

Anyway...the midwife thought it was crazy that it was that long before I saw David and she made a note in my chart to have the new baby to me asap and also told me to get down right mean with the nurses ...because she said they tend to do what is most convenient for them...

Plus I wanted a VBAC with the midwife because it is so much less of a battle when I tell them no vaccines or eye ointment...so now I'm prepared for the battle!

Gosh what a ramble...sorry!!
So how is everyone feeling??????? [all you pregnant mamas..]
Lizzy, how is life with PJ these days????

What is everyone up to??

Le-Ann, how was Disney????????

May524
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
So how is everyone feeling??????? [all you pregnant mamas..]

Eh not feeling so hot today! I'm dealing with a lot of naseau :(
I'm starting to get very uncomfortable and more and more of my clothes are starting NOT to fit and being 31 weeks, I don't want to purchase a lot of new clothes...any tips??

Lizzy
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
May, I got almost all of my maternity clothes at Goodwill for a dollar each. Even some really cute shirts, some said "It's not easy being Queezy" and "What's Kickin'" Very cute stuff. Plus I was glad for the comfortable clothes to wear home from the hospital too.

Terra- PJ is doing great. Last night he actually slept from 7-1:30 and then again from 2-5:00 That was a nice relief!

He does have a poo problem though. :( He seems to only go once a day or every other day. He has even gone up to 3 days! The Dr office didn't seem too concerned about it but I can tell his little tummy hurts when he goes too long. Poor little guy!

Terra
01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Go PJ!!! Way to sleep!!!

I am all about the goodwill and thrift stores!! Such great bargins!!

Hey MEL!!
I finally tried the Seventh Generation diapers myself [for night time and long trips out because David is such a heavy wetter!]
Anyway, they are awesome!!! And I can tell a difference without the chlorine in them, he doesn't get red or anything!!
I even wrote Seventh Generation praising them and they said they are sending me coupons!!!!

Dakota Rose
01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
... are you really uncomfortable? Not because of nausea :sick: but just uncomfortable.

I just hit 14 weeks yesterday but I have to tell you, I feel so much further. I know I'm not, but man I feel it. I can't get comfy sitting or lying down. My sciatica has been really bad, and I feel like the kid is just laying on my bladder all the time. Oh and I feel (and maybe even look) huge. Even my 3-and-a-half-year-old said, "Mom your belly is getting big." :blush:

This is only #2. I could understand if this were baby #3 or 4 or something, but sheesh.

I have a doc appt this week, so....

Terra
01-20-2008, 02:14 AM
... are you really uncomfortable? Not because of nausea :sick: but just uncomfortable.

I just hit 14 weeks yesterday but I have to tell you, I feel so much further. I know I'm not, but man I feel it. I can't get comfy sitting or lying down. My sciatica has been really bad, and I feel like the kid is just laying on my bladder all the time. Oh and I feel (and maybe even look) huge. Even my 3-and-a-half-year-old said, "Mom your belly is getting big." :blush:

This is only #2. I could understand if this were baby #3 or 4 or something, but sheesh.

I have a doc appt this week, so....
Oh goodness Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
And my midwife even said that everything happens sooner and "harder" with #2 and subsequent pregnancies...

At this stage with David I was still sleeping on my belly and everything...no heartburn, no sciatica or back pain at all...

With this little guy I've had heartburn since the get go and my back aches, my sciatica acts up alot too!!! And I look like I'm already 5-6 months [like I did with David...eeks...and I'm not small to begin with!!!!!!! LOL]

I think I'll have to roll everywhere once I hit 8-9 months!! :haha:

May524
01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
:( Whine Alert!! :(
My back was KILLING me last night...not just hurting but killing me. I sat propped up with pillows and my legs up, but still nothing worked. I finally took a tylenol and was able to sleep...ugh...it was bad! Any tips for backaches? I'm 32 weeks... :D

harlowandthemermaid
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
May, how about an Epsom Salt bath? It might help a little.

Terra I'm glad you are standing up for yourself, I'm sorry they won't let you go VBAC. I know your ideal scenario would be to have a natural home birth. I did feel pressured at the hospital, i don't remember signing for eye ointment or PKU but maybe i did. I know I didn't sign for Hep B and that they did notgive. I had mastitis and could barely stand up when I took Vivien for her 2 week appointment and they saw that as an opportunity to pressure me into giving it so that's when I switched pediatricians. No pressure at all at the current pediatrician.
I like your name choices too, you have so much time so I wouldn't sweat it.

Things here are moving right along! vivien's first tooth broke through last weekend and she has been SO grumpy this week I'm sure another one is following. It looks like several spots are about to break through. Poor kid, she's usually so happy. Breastfeeding is still going well and I've been making baby food at home, which I'm really enjoying.
My work has been closed since the beginning of december so I am enjoying being a SAHM until they reopen and I go back to working 15 hrs a week. I can't imagine ever going back to work full time, I seriously don't think I will, I think I just want to stay home at be a homeschooling parent.
Does anyone here homeschool? Or is anyone looking into it?

So Lizzy, how's your little guy doing? Any new pics?

harlowandthemermaid
01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh Terra I forgot....I'm glad you like the 7th gen diapers. I heard they have coupons online but I can never get them to print.
They've been out of them at our whole foods for weeks so I've been getting the Whole Foods 365 brand. They are cheaper and also chlorine free and boast "cloth-like comfort";)
You are still cloth diapering as well, right?

Terra
01-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Yeah I still do both....David is such a heavy wetter at night that the disposables work much better!

I have local organics shop that orders them by the case for me and gives me a 20% discount!! I wish we had a whole foods or Trader Joe's really close!

Yay on Vivian's teeth! But it is so hard to see them in pain!!
Gosh I hate when the pediatricians pressure you into the vaccines and you don't even have to legally do it. I had mine out right lie and say that he would have to get them before school or he couldn't go! Then she was surprised when I quoted the laws and exemptions to her...lol

I'm so happy that breastfeeding is still going well!! And yay on the baby food....I really enjoy doing it too :)

MAY: I agree about the EPSOM salt bath....gosh I remember how bad those backaches got as delivery day approached...

Terra
01-23-2008, 05:40 AM
MEL:
I forgot to say that I really want to homeschool too. It's taking a little more convincing my DH though...He isn't against homeschooling it really depends more on if I can find an online teaching job at a college after I finish my master's.

Anyway, he's getting more on board now though :)

And if we decide too we have a great local homeschooling group that actually has alot of my AP friends in it too!! So cool!

harlowandthemermaid
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah I haven't sold Jeff on homeschooling yet. He is from the school of people that think that a homeschool student never leaves the house or sees other people. Plus there is someone he used to work for who had been homeschooled as a child (and he really didn't like this person) so of course the homeschooling was the problem.
Anyway....there are some good networks here but gosh by the time Vivien is ready for school we will probably be living in FL again!

Dakota Rose
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Had my check-up today. 14.5 weeks. Everything is A-Ok. Heartbeat was in 150s. I asked the doc about the discomfort and she said it was to be expected especially with number 2. I wish that made me feel better! :) Other than that all is well and on schedule for an early July c-section.

Next appt is Feb 27 and we'll have our ultrasound that day too.

I had the flu over the long-week-end. Awful.

May524
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Had my appt on Tuesday, everything was OK. I had a BIG weight gain for 2 weeks, so my dr. is concerned with my feet/hand swelling. My back has just been killing me lately, she said to stay off of my feet as much as possible, so I'm going to try to take advantage of that this weekend.

On another note: My sister is being induced on Wednesday, so I'll be an aunt again! :D

Terra
01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Dakota Rose and May I'm so glad everything is going well!!!!

I can't believe we are going to be moms again!!

Yeah, I agree, #2 so far has been much harder physical than when I was pregnant with David!

Congrats May on your soon to be Aunt-hood!! Yay!!!

murphy1
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Terra, congrats on another BOY!! I just saw this, you make gorgeous boys that's for sure!! You'll be the queen of the house like Nani is. If we (ever, I am really putting the pressure on!!) move back, you'll have some girls to babysit for you!

Terra
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Terra, congrats on another BOY!! I just saw this, you make gorgeous boys that's for sure!! You'll be the queen of the house like Nani is. If we (ever, I am really putting the pressure on!!) move back, you'll have some girls to babysit for you!

That would be so awesome if you guys were closer!!

Ah shucks! Thanks :) I always wanted sons! [although it doesn't really matter in the end :) ]

IloveJack
01-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Well, if the at-home test is right, then I guess I'm joining the Moms-to-be club! :babyroll:

I took the test yesterday, and told DH as soon as he got in from work. This is our first! :baby: I'm on :cloud9:, and can't sleep at all! Of course, last week it was from crazy dreams (which I now understand), but this morning, it's just from excitement! :yay: We had to put this off for so long, I can't believe the day is finally here. I'm a type-2 diabetic, who just last Aug. went on insulin. We knew it wasn't safe to be preggers with such high blood sugar, so we waited the recomended 6 months, 'til my A1C was lower than 6. I never dreamed it would happen on the second try (I've heard of much longer "trying" times for the first). I don't have an OB/GYN yet, so I'll call my endocrinologist tomorrow (as he'd asked), and then I'm sure we'll be seeing the high-risk OB/GYN soon.

I'm trying really hard not to worry too much about the diabetes and pregnancy... right now I'm too :silly: to focus on that, anyhow!

DisneyTwinsMommy
01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, if the at-home test is right, then I guess I'm joining the Moms-to-be club! :babyroll:

I took the test yesterday, and told DH as soon as he got in from work. This is our first! :baby: I'm on :cloud9:, and can't sleep at all! Of course, last week it was from crazy dreams (which I now understand), but this morning, it's just from excitement! :yay: We had to put this off for so long, I can't believe the day is finally here. I'm a type-2 diabetic, who just last Aug. went on insulin. We knew it wasn't safe to be preggers with such high blood sugar, so we waited the recomended 6 months, 'til my A1C was lower than 6. I never dreamed it would happen on the second try (I've heard of much longer "trying" times for the first). I don't have an OB/GYN yet, so I'll call my endocrinologist tomorrow (as he'd asked), and then I'm sure we'll be seeing the high-risk OB/GYN soon.

I'm trying really hard not to worry too much about the diabetes and pregnancy... right now I'm too :silly: to focus on that, anyhow!

Congratulations!!! I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months.... It is great that you got pg so fast. I got pg on our second try too, now our TWIN boys are 4 months old!! :eyes:

Dakota Rose
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Congrats IloveJack! How cool!

Terra
01-28-2008, 08:48 AM
What great news Susan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the club!!!!:mickey::mickey:

May524
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
:party:CONGRATS SUSAN! :party: How exciting!

I'll have to try those epsom salt baths.

Are shooting back pains normal? I'm 33 weeks this week, and around 5:30 am this morning, I had such terrible pain I was in tears...luckily after some stretching and my DH rubbing my back and taking some tylenol it went away...but it was the worst pain of my life! Is this normal? Any tips? I already sleep with a lot of pillows. :(

Terra
01-28-2008, 01:22 PM
May,
Is it in just your back or does it kind of go down into the bum and legs? IT could be sciatica pain...
But do keep an eye out ...if you notice that they come again and in regular intervals it may be back contractions you may just want to contact your OB or midwife to be on the safeside...

But sounds like it was more just normal pains [although painful I know!]...since it went away after stretching and a massage....

May524
01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
No, the pain in strictly in my back, nowhere else. But honestly, it was the worst pain of my life! It's a bummer b/c Mardi Gras is next week, and I won't be hitting up many parades :(

Terra
01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
oh no...I'm sorry! I bet the baby turned and was sitting on a nerve or something in such a way....
I remember my back killing me like that too when I hit about where you are....I would take warm baths and everything....

Flower
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone!!!!

I have to start off by saying I feel kinda weird being here and not being pregnant! (And a little jealous too :wink:)

Things have been crazy since we got back from Florida. We arrived home late last Saturday night (Jan 19th), I spent Sunday & Monday cleaning and grocery shopping and all that fun stuff, Tuesday was my birthday so we had a nice family dinner, Wednesday Ben started to get diharrea and still is not 100%, Friday Brandon & I were both vomiting - but I managed to hold it together for my birthday dinner Friday night with the girls, and Brandon has been sick:ill: every night since Friday. Needless to say that life is anything but normal right now and totally chaotic!

The trip was fantastic and BUSY. Terra, I never did get a chance to see you and I am sorry, we had a great time with Jays parents (did I actually say that?!) and his Aunt and Uncle were there that we never see because they live 2000 miles away. (They have bought in Frostproof,Florida too!), So we never seemed to know what was happening from day to day.

For the first part of the trip we avoided Disney because of Christmas & New Years. Our Disney time ended up being limited because of the Marathon, understandably Jay did not want to wear himself our prior, and following the marathon was, well, understandably tired. The marathon itself was fantastic and we had a great time. I guess I need to write some trip reports.

Anyway, I am just popping in quickly as the baby naps, but I have a ton still to get done. I will be back soon!

mouseaddict
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Lea Ann..I will keep you company in the "unpregnant" club. Sorry guys..I am not jealous. I have 2 beautiful kids and 2 beautiful step-daughters.
Terra..I read your post about the shopping trip..I remember Joshua at that stage!
All of the new mommies to be Congrats!!!
All of the new mommies..hope you are doing well and that babies are letting you get some rest
Susan..I had gestational diabetes for both of my kids..they swore I was a diabetic because my sugar went up very early. But each time my sugar went back to nrmal after I delivered. I know the day is coming though..But They treated me as a diabetic throughout the pregnancy so if you have any questions or concerns just let me know.
May524..you are soooo close..you will make it. Lots of warm showers and stretching..easy for me to say right!
Lea Ann..did you get my Facebook message? I am wondering how the drive with the kids went..we are going to try it this summer (going to Kingston). I am worried about Mackenzie in the car. Any tips????
Ok..I think I have covered everyone. Keep us all posted.

Flower
01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Lea Ann..did you get my Facebook message? I am wondering how the drive with the kids went..we are going to try it this summer (going to Kingston). I am worried about Mackenzie in the car. Any tips????

OMG - I did, and I did not reply! I think today is the most I have been able to get online - sending you a facebook msg now! SORRY!!!

UPDATE:
Michelle, your novel awaits you on FB!!!

IloveJack
01-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Susan..I had gestational diabetes for both of my kids..they swore I was a diabetic because my sugar went up very early. But each time my sugar went back to nrmal after I delivered. I know the day is coming though..But They treated me as a diabetic throughout the pregnancy so if you have any questions or concerns just let me know.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. My BS readings are actually the first thing that clued me in that I might be pregant. I had been keeping such good control on it, and then without changing anything, my numbers were sky high! Of course, it took another week and a half before I knew for sure! I don't see my OB for another week, so I'm a little concerned about my BS being high.. :(

Lizzy
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I am in the non pregnant club too Flower!

We weighed the baby today- he is a whopping 13 lbs!!!

Terra
01-31-2008, 05:55 AM
I am in the non pregnant club too Flower!

We weighed the baby today- he is a whopping 13 lbs!!!

Go PJ!!! It's all that nursing!! LOL....David gained alot too because of it!!

Flower
01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I met a girl I used to work with at the mall last week. Her little girl was 6 months old on Christmas Day - She weighs 22 pounds!!! She was an average-sized baby at around 6.7, so obviously she is a great eater! Ben is not even at 25 pounds yet at 14 months! She asked me to hold her for a minute and I could totally feel the difference between her and Ben!

I thought Ben was small because I nursed for so long. Of which, I finally stopped nursing while we were away! On Saturday the 11th Jays parents spent the night with the boys at POP and Jay and I stayed at POR before the marathon. After having that 1 night apart he did not want anything more to do with BF in the middle of the night (which is all he was down to).

He is still waking up in the middle of the night WHICH IS KILLING ME, but I keep a bottle with powered formula on my dresser and just add the water when he wakes up and take it to him.

Any advice on helping him sleep thru the night would be appreciated. He goes to sleep around 7 pm and wakes up around 2. Once I give him a bottle he sleeps thru until 7 again.

Terra, how is going weaning David from your bed?

May524
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm the proud aunt to ANOTHER nephew! YAY! He is pefrect! Labor and delivery was smooth for my sister, and she is doing fantastic as well as the baby! He was 8 lbs 20 inches. He is so cute! :mickey:

Was anyone else terrified of labor as a 1st time mom??? I am so scared...even now more so! 7 more weeks!

Terra
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
I met a girl I used to work with at the mall last week. Her little girl was 6 months old on Christmas Day - She weighs 22 pounds!!! She was an average-sized baby at around 6.7, so obviously she is a great eater! Ben is not even at 25 pounds yet at 14 months! She asked me to hold her for a minute and I could totally feel the difference between her and Ben!

I thought Ben was small because I nursed for so long. Of which, I finally stopped nursing while we were away! On Saturday the 11th Jays parents spent the night with the boys at POP and Jay and I stayed at POR before the marathon. After having that 1 night apart he did not want anything more to do with BF in the middle of the night (which is all he was down to).

He is still waking up in the middle of the night WHICH IS KILLING ME, but I keep a bottle with powered formula on my dresser and just add the water when he wakes up and take it to him.

Any advice on helping him sleep thru the night would be appreciated. He goes to sleep around 7 pm and wakes up around 2. Once I give him a bottle he sleeps thru until 7 again.

Terra, how is going weaning David from your bed?

Actually those are great stretches and it is completely normal for them to not sleep through the night until closer to 2 years old...there is much neuro activity and brain development going on around this time disrupting sleep...But for sleeping that first 7 hour stretch actually IS STTN .....Most pediatricians will actually evenn say that if they sleep 6-8 hours in a row, it is STTN..

If you really want him to STTN there are ways [check out the NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION...it worked great for naps for David!...but personally I don't believe in sleep training a child, I let them take the lead, especially in light of research that shows it's normal....I would say honestly your little munchkin doing great...Also, teething molars is coming already too, if it hasn't already so that will disrupt sleep abit...
Anyway....really, those stretches are wonderful!!!! You're doing great!!!

I'm the proud aunt to ANOTHER nephew! YAY! He is pefrect! Labor and delivery was smooth for my sister, and she is doing fantastic as well as the baby! He was 8 lbs 20 inches. He is so cute! :mickey:

Was anyone else terrified of labor as a 1st time mom??? I am so scared...even now more so! 7 more weeks!

Ahhh...I was scared cold with David!!
But I promise, once things start happening...suddenly that fear is gone and you are excited [and in pain...sorry! lol]....you don't really think about being scared..

And for me....the last 2 weeks of pregnancy were so uncomfortable I got to the point I would cry at night hoping it would happen anytime...

Congrats on being an Aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flower
01-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks Terra, When I was looking at him sleeping the 7 hours uninterrupted, it does sound good, it just stinks that he wakes me up!!! I wanna have a good nights sleep for once!!! There - I just needed to vent!!!
(What is STTN?)

May,
Congrats on being an Aunt!!!
Scared? Oh yah, but I kept telling myself throughout the pregnancy that we had tried so hard to get pregnant that a few hours of pain would be worth it - and it was definitely worth it! (Except the few hours turned into 25 hours!!)

My water broke at 2345 hrs, I experienced leg labour from 0400-0800 and then everything just stopped. At 1000 the Dr ordered the pictocin, I did not get it until 1300 and then the leg labour started again around 1600, I asked for an epidural and things were nice and relaxing until I had to push at 2300 until 0106.

I had never heard of leg labour before and I think I am completely weird, but I seriously was having contractions along the outside of my hips and my glutes. I would be laying there and the nurse was looking at the monitor telling me I should be feeling a contraction in my stomach and honest to god I did not feel a thing in my belly but everything was shooting thru the sides of my legs - WEIRD!!! Maybe Ben was on a nerve or something and causing it to spazz.

Anyway, none of that mattered and I honestly told Jay as soon as I delivered that it wasn't so bad and I would do it again!

Terra
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
LOL...Oh I hear ya about having to wake up!! LOL...

Oh hey, do you think a sippy of water in the crib may work? I've had a friend who had great success with that. She put a sippy of water in the crib and the toddler would drink that and not even cry and go back to sleep....

I know for David, he is just geniunly hungry....he goes to bed at 7pm to and sleeps until 6am....so sometimes for their little tummies it can be a long stretch without anything....especially if there is a growth spurt!

Oh STTN=Sleeping through the night....[sometimes I forget and think I'm on my mommy boards and type that here!! lol]

Leg labor....ouch!! I bet that hurt too!...

ljv1975
02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone! I just found this thread and thought that I would stop in and say hello! I am pregnant with a baby boy :prince: and due on May 20th! We also have a DD2 :princess: - Sophie. We have decided to take her to WDW the first week of March for a special trip before her baby brother arrives!

I was just reading through some of the other posts and saw some about gestational diabetes. With my DD I failed the 1 hour screen and had to go back for the 3 hour which I did pass. It is time for me to go for the 1 hour for this pregnancy and I am worried that I will fail again. Hopefully everything will be ok, but at least I know where I can come for advice if need be!

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself as another Mommy and Mommy-to-Be! Have a great day! :)

Terra
02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Welcome ljv1975!!!! Congrats on your little boy!!
We're having a boy in July!!!

I hope you have a 'magical' time on your Disney trip...that will nice to have that last hurrah with just one child! Then taking 2 ought to be twice as fun!!:mickey:

IloveJack
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I go for my first OB visit tomorrow morning. I've read up on it, so I know what to expect, but I'm still nervous (being really new to the pregnant thing :blush:). Any surprises I should be ready for?
At least we'll find out the date. I'm guessing it's around Oct. 3 by counting for myself, but we'll see what the doc says.
We've been debating whether or not to tell. Right now only my parents and my brother and his girlfriend know. :secret: We're visiting Dh's parents tomorrow to tell them. I just don't think either of us can keep the secret much longer. My dad's 60th b-day party is this Sunday, so I think we may announce it then. How long did you all wait to spill the beans?

Terra
02-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Nah, no surprises really....be prepared for bloodwork, lots and lots of paperwork and exams though :) And usually get a fun free kit that has all kinds of magazines and samples!

And if your OB is anything like mine be prepared to wait!:secret:

Let us know how it goes!!!!

Flower
02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Good luck Ilovejack! I can't really think of any surprises at the Doctors, bloodwoork, they'll set up an ultrasounds, pretty routine stuff at this point.

I found out at 7 weeks and we did not tell our parents or anyone until just over 10 weeks - it killed me to not tell my mom, but with a past miscarriage we wanted to make sure we were closer to the 12 weeks before telling everyone. Once we told our family we did not care who knew.

I think it was pretty cool how we told our family. Ben was a 'Disney Souvenir' from our February trip (2006), and my in-laws were having Easter dinner and they invited my mom & her boyfriend too.

I made Easter Cards for them that read Happy Easter, with 3 cut out Mickey heads along the bottom and ribbons at the side. When you pulled out the ribbons there was a cardstock insert that pulled out to reveal 3 ultrasound pictures hidden under the 3 Mickeys and the insert read 'Introducing our Disney Souvenir slated to arrive in November 2006'.

It was fun to watch their faces as they looked at the ultrasound pictures and tried to figure it all out! My mom thought it meant she was going back to Disney with us in November, until she realized they were ultra sound pics.

Terra
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Lea-Ann, that is so cool about Ben being a Disney souvenir!!

I have my next prenatal appointment this Thursday. I can't believe I'm 4 whole months already!!!

Jessie
02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Mind if I join in?

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with #2 right now and man this pregnancy has not been fun. :( It's so weird. My pregnancy with my DD was a breeze. It's really taken an emotional toll on me for sure. I've had hyperemisis and SPD. The hyperemisis has abated, but the pelvic pain is here and staying for the duration. I've also had major digestion issues and seem to be catching every bug under the sun. Now the constant heartburn has set in. I'm a joy huh? I promise not to complain in every post! :blah:

I'm going to be seeing a naturopathic doctor in a few weeks to get things going to help boost my immune system and get me out of my funk. I've been seeing a chiropractor for my pelvic and back pain and it's really helped SO much. It's still *there*, but I can walk for longer periods of time without terrible pain now:party: :thumbsup:

I'm going to be having a homebirth (possibly water birth if I'm so inclined in the moment) and I'm very excited. My midwife is wonderful. I love that she comes to my house for all the visits and she has everything she needs. I feel very safe and confident.

I also found out at 19 weeks that I'm having a little girl. :cloud9: I love the idea of having two girls close in age.

So :wave: that's me!

ljv1975
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
And if your OB is anything like mine be prepared to wait!:secret:

I know this feeling. Sometimes I wait almost an hour after my scheduled appointment before the doctor sees me. Then the actual appointment takes all of 5 minutes to listen to the heartbeat and measure me. :mad: I try not to let it bother me too much since his office is in the hospital, most of the time he is visiting other patients in labor or has emeergency c-sections and things. I always try to tell myself that if it were me in labor I would want him checking on me . . . but it still gets on my nerves sometimes!! (Besides sometimes he is just running late for no good reason!)

Congratulations to everyone that is expecting!

Terra
02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Mind if I join in?

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with #2 right now and man this pregnancy has not been fun. :( It's so weird. My pregnancy with my DD was a breeze. It's really taken an emotional toll on me for sure. I've had hyperemisis and SPD. The hyperemisis has abated, but the pelvic pain is here and staying for the duration. I've also had major digestion issues and seem to be catching every bug under the sun. Now the constant heartburn has set in. I'm a joy huh? I promise not to complain in every post! :blah:

I'm going to be seeing a naturopathic doctor in a few weeks to get things going to help boost my immune system and get me out of my funk. I've been seeing a chiropractor for my pelvic and back pain and it's really helped SO much. It's still *there*, but I can walk for longer periods of time without terrible pain now:party: :thumbsup:

I'm going to be having a homebirth (possibly water birth if I'm so inclined in the moment) and I'm very excited. My midwife is wonderful. I love that she comes to my house for all the visits and she has everything she needs. I feel very safe and confident.

I also found out at 19 weeks that I'm having a little girl. :cloud9: I love the idea of having two girls close in age.

So :wave: that's me!

Keep us posted on your appointment!! And yay for a homebirth!!!!!!!!!!! My DH refused to let me do this...
But I think it is the most wonderful thing and my best friend is doing it. She is due March 29th!

Welcome!!

Jessie
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Well I just got back from the Health Food store and stocked up on some things to help make the rest of this pregnancy smoother.

I got:
DGL (for stomach lining support)
Papaya Enzyme (for heartburn)
Coconut Oil Pills (immune system, digestion)
Rice Protein (Protein that I've been sorely lacking due to illness)
Emergen C
Sambucoul (immune system)

So I'll be taking those in addition to my regular DHA supplements, probiotics and prenatals.

:thumbsup:

I really should have gotten those way before, but I've been dragging my feet.

My next appt. is this Sunday. :D

Flower
02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I know this feeling. Sometimes I wait almost an hour after my scheduled appointment before the doctor sees me. Then the actual appointment takes all of 5 minutes to listen to the heartbeat and measure me. :mad: I try not to let it bother me too much since his office is in the hospital, most of the time he is visiting other patients in labor or has emeergency c-sections and things. I always try to tell myself that if it were me in labor I would want him checking on me . . . but it still gets on my nerves sometimes!! (Besides sometimes he is just running late for no good reason!)

Congratulations to everyone that is expecting!

It was a pain when the doctor was delayed, but MAN - get to the ultrasound on time already....I HAVE TO PEE!!!!! That was the absolute worst thing ever, I literally was in tears I had to go so bad!!!!

May524
02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
How long did you all wait to spill the beans?

Well...it's crazy but I didn't find out I was pregnant till I was about 10 weeks...I was convinced it was coming! I told my parents, sisters and DH's parents within days of us finding out. I didn't tell work till after the 1st trimester.

May524
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
My 34 week appointment is today, YAY!

My swelling is SO bad though! My hands are so swollen I haven't worn my rings in weeks, and my feet are HUGE from the swelling all that I can wear is flip flops...in the winter. I'm so unhappy and uncomfortable. My family members have told me how swollen my face is also...it's definetly not fun. My sister told me that her dr. would put her on bed rest if she was in my position...is this something I should be worried about??

Jessie
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Keep us posted on your appointment!! And yay for a homebirth!!!!!!!!!!! My DH refused to let me do this...
But I think it is the most wonderful thing and my best friend is doing it. She is due March 29th!

Welcome!!

Aww thanks! And hooray for your best friend! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm loving the idea of not having to *be* anywhere.

Do you think your DH would be more on board if he met with a homebirth midwife? He could ask her questions and she could let him know her experience and what equipment she brings with her.

For instance my midwife has been delivering babies for 10 years. Her rate of transfer is extremely low. She comes equipped with infant and mother resuscitation equipment. She has a team of backup midwives that accompany her. And she also has medication to stop hemorrhaging. She knows what a birth not going right looks like and is very on top of things. I feel very safe with her. I think sometimes hearing stuff like that can put DH's mind at ease.

Either way, congrats to you and the rest of you!

ljv1975
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
It was a pain when the doctor was delayed, but MAN - get to the ultrasound on time already....I HAVE TO PEE!!!!! That was the absolute worst thing ever, I literally was in tears I had to go so bad!!!!

LOL! Lucky for me, my Dr. doesn't do the ultrasounds in his office. He sends all of his pregnant patients to a special practice that only does ultrasound and sonography. They are always right on time so it's usually not too bad waiting with the full bladder. They will also record the whole thing on a videotape if you bring it in! It's a nice souvenir!! :D

On another note, I got my glucola results back today and they were normal!! :yay: I was really worried that I was going to fail again, but everything looked fine!

mouseaddict
02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
My 34 week appointment is today, YAY!

My swelling is SO bad though! My hands are so swollen I haven't worn my rings in weeks, and my feet are HUGE from the swelling all that I can wear is flip flops...in the winter. I'm so unhappy and uncomfortable. My family members have told me how swollen my face is also...it's definetly not fun. My sister told me that her dr. would put her on bed rest if she was in my position...is this something I should be worried about??

Well, this post is a little late. Swelling in the hands and face usually buys you some bedrest time. How is your blood pressure? I imagine that as long as your pressure is ok and you are not spilling protein in your urine the doc will leave you be.
I hope all went well..you are so close!

Dakota Rose
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I was super swollen with DS. My blood pressure was fine and so they didn't put me on bed rest. But I was miserable like you are. By the time I was induced, I only had one shirt and one pair of pants that fit and I too was wearing flip-flops. Before I left the hospital, I chucked my "uniform". Don't worry, the day swill go fast and soon you'll have abeautiful baby in your arms.

Dakota Rose
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
So, who's having cravings? What are you craving?

Subway turkey sandwiches are my weakness. I could eat those three times a day every day.

And, I can't stop eating fruit cocktail. Don't worry, I'm buying the sugar-free variety and rinsing the fruit in water before eating. Yum!

Terra
02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Aww thanks! And hooray for your best friend! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm loving the idea of not having to *be* anywhere.

Do you think your DH would be more on board if he met with a homebirth midwife? He could ask her questions and she could let him know her experience and what equipment she brings with her.

For instance my midwife has been delivering babies for 10 years. Her rate of transfer is extremely low. She comes equipped with infant and mother resuscitation equipment. She has a team of backup midwives that accompany her. And she also has medication to stop hemorrhaging. She knows what a birth not going right looks like and is very on top of things. I feel very safe with her. I think sometimes hearing stuff like that can put DH's mind at ease.

Either way, congrats to you and the rest of you!

Gosh I wish....he has met the midwife I see at the OB practice and knows what they do and are capable of....He's just "overly" cautious...He has always been scared ever since my first miscarriage....He was always scared of me bleeding to death or the baby going through trauma....
Sooooo...lol....I just chose to pick my battles on that one....He's really been comprising on all other aspects of the Attachment parenting that I do....so I'd rather have that.....he's actually grown to love co sleeping and everything!!

I'm just praying I at least go into labor before my scheduled C Section date and then I'll "accidentally" arrive to the hospital too late for them to do a C Section! Bad me!!! :secret:

CRAVINGS!! OH MY GOSH!! I was driving down the road a couple of days ago and out of the blue I HAD to have deviled eggs!!!! I think I raced home and made them...they tasted better than filet mignon...go figure!! :haha:

May524
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Well since my bp is fine, all I was told to do was if I am not at work, I'm needed to be home with my feet up...boo! I'm just so discouraged! My weekly appt's weren't supposed to start till 36 weeks, but she wants to see me again next week b/c of the swelling and to also pay attention to my BP and take it every other day.

Jessie
02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Gosh I wish....he has met the midwife I see at the OB practice and knows what they do and are capable of....He's just "overly" cautious...He has always been scared ever since my first miscarriage....He was always scared of me bleeding to death or the baby going through trauma....
Sooooo...lol....I just chose to pick my battles on that one....He's really been comprising on all other aspects of the Attachment parenting that I do....so I'd rather have that.....he's actually grown to love co sleeping and everything!!

I'm just praying I at least go into labor before my scheduled C Section date and then I'll "accidentally" arrive to the hospital too late for them to do a C Section! Bad me!!! :secret:

CRAVINGS!! OH MY GOSH!! I was driving down the road a couple of days ago and out of the blue I HAD to have deviled eggs!!!! I think I raced home and made them...they tasted better than filet mignon...go figure!! :haha:
That's good that you guys can give and take. And I totally agree, if you want to hold off on being pushed for that c-section, wait out that labor at home as long as possible!

Does anyone else cloth diaper or sling or anything? I'm starting to build up my cloth diaper stash. We started DD when she was about 6 months old so I've got plenty of big ones! I just recently bought some newborn size off another mama I know. I would also like to get another sling. Maybe a babyhawk. I have a homemade mei tai and a padded ring sling, but what can I say...I like slings!

As for cravings....It's been all about the potato this pregnancy. That's in part due to a sensitive stomach and also because I love potatoes. I ended up just buying a gigantic box of instant potatoes because I was CONSTANTLY wanting mashed potatoes.

I will say that now after being very pregnant in the summer and being very pregnant in the winter....I prefer summer hands down. I do not like being pregnant in the winter. Nope, no way. I will say this though, the plus side is that when the baby is born it'll be getting warm out so I can get outside a lot and help to keep PPD at bay (had that with my DD).

Terra
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
That's good that you guys can give and take. And I totally agree, if you want to hold off on being pushed for that c-section, wait out that labor at home as long as possible!

Does anyone else cloth diaper or sling or anything? I'm starting to build up my cloth diaper stash. We started DD when she was about 6 months old so I've got plenty of big ones! I just recently bought some newborn size off another mama I know. I would also like to get another sling. Maybe a babyhawk. I have a homemade mei tai and a padded ring sling, but what can I say...I like slings!

As for cravings....It's been all about the potato this pregnancy. That's in part due to a sensitive stomach and also because I love potatoes. I ended up just buying a gigantic box of instant potatoes because I was CONSTANTLY wanting mashed potatoes.

I will say that now after being very pregnant in the summer and being very pregnant in the winter....I prefer summer hands down. I do not like being pregnant in the winter. Nope, no way. I will say this though, the plus side is that when the baby is born it'll be getting warm out so I can get outside a lot and help to keep PPD at bay (had that with my DD).

Ughhh....I asked them at my appointment today if they will at least wait until I go into labor to do the C Section and they said no...but they are scheduling it a week before my due date...With my DS I went into labor 2 weeks before...so I'm praying hard that my labor will start before the scheduled C Section...Hello lots of Prim Rose Oil, Walking, eating spicy food and "other things!"....lol...

I cloth diaper and babywear! I have a Maya Wrap, New Native Pouch and an Ergo! I would love to get a baby hawk too though!!I wore my DS all the time until I got pregnant with this little munchkin! Then with some complications I'm not allowed to carry too much weight for too long...he is near 27 lbs now!

For cloth diapers I just use the Chinese prefolds and covers...occasionally I use the G diaper covers for the prefolds! I love them!!

IloveJack
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I go for my first OB visit tomorrow morning. Any surprises I should be ready for?

I wasn't too shocked by anything that happened. Dh was a little surprised, having no real clue what *all* occurs during an exam. )I'll let your minds wander with that one... :blush: ). I was slightly shocked at the warning about my retinopathy. I knew that pregnancy could exacerbate it, but I didn't know that I might not be allowed to push due to it. I'll just keep praying that all goes well, and I can have a very normal labor.

At least we'll find out the date. I'm guessing it's around Oct. 3 by counting for myself, but we'll see what the doc says.

I was right about that. At first, she said my EDD was 9/28, but when I told her I have a 34-day cycle, she agreed that it would probably be the third.

How long did you all wait to spill the beans?

Another shocker at the doctor. Since I'm high-risk, she wants to see me every other week for the first few months, then every week, then twice a week for the last two months. So with all those visits, we decided there was no way to keep it a secret much longer. We finished telling our family last night, and started telling friends today. Hopefully all will go well now.

Dakota Rose
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I was right about that. At first, she said my EDD was 9/28, but when I told her I have a 34-day cycle, she agreed that it would probably be the third.

I wish my midwife would have been as agreeable with me on due dates. When I got pregnant with DS, I was having extremely short cycles and calculated my due date as 3/27. She said 4/1. OH well...it wasn't the only thing she let me down on. :(

Terra
02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Lea-Ann/Flower :)

Just checking on you and Ben to see how night time sleeping is going!!
You've been in my thoughts!!

I hope he's sleeping more for you now!!
Thankfully the last few nights David has slept through night from about 7:30pm until about 5:30-6:00 am!!! But his molars finally broke through!!!!!

Just know I'm thinking about your sleepy self!! he he

Flower
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Lea-Ann/Flower :)

Just checking on you and Ben to see how night time sleeping is going!!
You've been in my thoughts!!

I hope he's sleeping more for you now!!
Thankfully the last few nights David has slept through night from about 7:30pm until about 5:30-6:00 am!!! But his molars finally broke through!!!!!

Just know I'm thinking about your sleepy self!! he he

Thanks for thinking of us Terra!!! I have not wanted to jinx it, but for the past 5 nights he has been great about sleeping through!

Yesterday was too funny! Brandon, who will be 4 in a few weeks, has issues with sleeping in a bed (Unless we are in a hotel? weird!) Anyway, he has his options of his old toddler bed, which we kept in case we use it with Ben, a twin bed in Bens room, which we now call Brandons room too. Brandon seems to prefer the floor no matter what we do. He seems happy and will often be read his story in the twin bed and as soon as the story is done, he's on the floor.

Yesterday, Ben was showing extreme interest in the toddler bed. He would crawl into it and rock and laugh, just loved it. Last night I put him to bed in his crib, he woke up with a poopy bum around 10. I changed him and set him down to get him a new bottle and he went tearing into Brandons old room and crawled into the toddler bed. I gave him his bottle in there and placed the baby gate on the door. I went up about 30 minutes later to check on him - can you guess where Ben was? Sleeping on the floor! I took pictures because it was too funny, and Brandon was sleeping close by in the hallway.

When DH got home from work, just as I was getting the camera, I had Jay put Ben back in the crib as soon as I took the pics.

I have weird kids!

How is David doing? Is he still in your bed? Are you getting enough sleep with the pregnancy? I found it exhausting when I was pregnant and had Brandon all day. I can't believe you are almost half way there!!!! That is awesome!!!

Terra
02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
oh my goodness that is too funny! I'm so glad he's doing much better though!!!!!! Gosh they are growing up too fast though aren't though!! Wanting to be in big boy beds and all!!!

ljv1975
02-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi ladies! I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to get on here and ask a quick question about something I've been thinking about.

Has anyone banked their baby's cord blood? I didn't do it with DD, but I am seriously considering banking DS's just in case. It could be used for both of my children should the need ever arise. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this or any first hand experience. Thanks a lot for any advice!

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 06:44 PM
We talked about banking the cord extensively but in the end decided against it. Mostly what convinced us not to do it was the article by the American Academy of Pediatrics. They took a very objective look at it and said that there are no accurate estimates as to the chance a child may need his own cells and they also said that there is no evidence supporting the safety or effectiveness of cord blood transplants. we weighed that against the expense $600+ and decided it didn't make sense for us.

It's a hard decision to make because you want to do everything you can to protect your child(ren). Good luck with the decision process.

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
We talked about banking the cord extensively but in the end decided against it. Mostly what convinced us not to do it was the article by the American Academy of Pediatrics. They took a very objective look at it and said that there are no accurate estimates as to the chance a child may need his own cells and they also said that there is no evidence supporting the safety or effectiveness of cord blood transplants. we weighed that against the expense $600+ and decided it didn't make sense for us.

It's a hard decision to make because you want to do everything you can to protect your child(ren). Good luck with the decision process.

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Stupid computer! :badpc:

Flower
02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I honestly thought that banking the cord was more expensive than it actually was, and I did not realize it until I was about 2 weeks away from delivering. Of course with all of the newborn expenses I just financially could not do it in only 2 weeks - if I had of had more time to save I probably would have done it.

I remember laying in the birthing suite looking at the bowl thinking 'Should I, shouldn't I', in the end, I felt the money would be better served elsewhere.

May524
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
So today I was put on bed rest :(
I was told to monitor my blood pressure due to swelling. I monitored it over the weekend and called my dr. with the numbers, she then wanted to see me asap. I went straight over and my reading was high and she wanted me to go get blood work done and be put on a fetal monitor and have an ultrasound. She said if everything went well I would be able to go home and be put on bed rest...which I thought was the bad news...I didn't know the bad news was that I'd be admitted and possibly induced! Thankfully that did NOT happen! I make 35 weeks tomorrow, I haven't even had my baby shower, I have nothing ready for the baby yet. So now I am at home on bed rest. :( Any advice?

disneydeb
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Rest. Call in friends relatives to come set up your nursery. Good luck with everything. God Bles!

mouseaddict
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
REST REST REST...If your numbers are up and they are worried then don't do anything to jinx it. The good news is that you are very close to 36 weeks..I agree..it is time to call in the relatives. You can have your shower from the couch. I know it is frustrating (I was on bedrest with my son, and I pushed it to get back to work...wound up with an emergency c-section instead.) It sounds like they are concerned but not panicking..so just use the time to rest and get ready for that little miracle. Keep us posted!

Terra
02-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Rest. Call in friends relatives to come set up your nursery. Good luck with everything. God Bles!

YES! Definitely get some help! Don't push yourself! And in the end you'll find that at first you don't even need everything set up! Just have the basics ready and take care of yourself and that little baking munchkin!! Keep us posted and you'll be in my prayers!!

Jessie
02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm so sorry you have to be on bedrest. I'm sure that's very frustrating. I agree with everyone else. Rest and take care of you.

Flower
02-12-2008, 05:02 PM
May,

Relax and take it easy. (I know, easier said than done)

I had nothing ready when I gave birth to Ben, we did not know if it was a going to be a boy or girl, the room was painted a lilac color. I painted his room blue when he was about 4 months old.

Is your crib ready? If not, don't even worry about it! Ben slept in our room in his play yard until he was about 5 months old - he didn't know the difference, nor did he know his crib was sitting there empty all that time.

I had not bought outfits because we did not know if it was going to be a boy or girl, I had maybe 10 neutral sleepers. I was home from the hospital less than a week and went out and bought some 'blue' clothes for him. I don't know, it just felt like he should be in blue.

I had my only shower a few weeks after he was born.

Honestly though, before I gave birth I had a diaper pail, angel care monitor, a crib and some sheets (trust me, you will get a TON at your shower!), a few bottles and a manual breast pump, and as long as you have some newborn diapers, wipes and vaseline, you will be set.

Are you planning on breast feeding? Just an FYI, I rented a hospital grade breast pump for the first few months from a local drugstore - it was a godsend!

I think his nursery has been more fun to work on now that I know him and his little personality, I am glad I didn't go nuts before he was born!

Dakota Rose
02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with everyone else suggesting you ask for help. You might even want to help from your church or another organization. And, whenever someone says, "What can I do to help?" or "Let me know if I can help." By all means, tell them!

See if you have a food delivery company like Take Out To You in your area, order your groceries for delivery, ask people to cook meals for you, etc. :)

Besides that, join Netflix and rent your favorite movies to help the time go faster.

Other creative ideas to help you feel busy would be to work on the baby book, catch up on scrapbooking (no time for that after baby!) and maybe even fold the baby clothes and linens that someone else washes and dries for you.

Hang in there. Just a few weeks to go. :wait: You can do it! :baby:

May524
02-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging words and tips! I was just in total shock! :confused: I am spending my time just relaxing and hoping to keep my blood pressure DOWN! I'm not ready to deliver the baby yet, I hope I can atleast get to 38 weeks!
I go for my next appt on Friday.

Terra
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words and tips! I was just in total shock! :confused: I am spending my time just relaxing and hoping to keep my blood pressure DOWN! I'm not ready to deliver the baby yet, I hope I can atleast get to 38 weeks!
I go for my next appt on Friday.

I just went back and read Lea-Ann's response..[don't know how I missed it the first time! lol...anyway, she hit the nail on the head...just the basics is all you really need...Oh and I totally agree on renting the hospital grade pump! They are awesome!!

Hang in there..and hey the great part is...you can be on intercot more!! he he!!:blush:

Flower
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I have to be honest here, I don't feel that Ben's nursery is totally finished - and he just turned 15 months!!!

Last week I applied the vinyl lettering I bought LAST SUMMER to his wall - it reads "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...How I wonder". I have big aspirations to paint 2 metal barn stars and possibly add pictures/scrapbook paper, and I took all of my antique-style stars out of my living room over a year ago, with the intention of using them in the nursery....they are still boxed up for the most part.

It just seems like he has grown up so fast that I have been looking ahead to 'little boy' as opposed to :baby: .

May, do you have any hobbies? I agree that scrapbooking is great! Even if you don't want to pre-do pages, consider what layouts & photos you will want to remember, and surf scrapbook and photography sites so you can have an idea of what pictures you will want to take: IE - I wish I had of had DH take a picture of Ben with the delivering physician and nurse, I wish I had of taken the naked little picture of him laying his head in DH's hand and outstretched along DH's arm. I wish I had of asked to keep a contraction sheet for my scrapbook (weird huh?)

Other photo ideas:
We took the picture of Ben laying on the weighing bed - I love that!

Another tip for new moms - I loved having the first year calendar in Ben's nursery. I hung it on the wall and would write exciting things as they came up. I liked having the calendar on the wall so it was easily accessible - I know I would not have written in a journal!

Terra
02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I do the calendar thing too!! Well except it's just our household calendar that hangs in the kitchen, but it's so quick to write down milestones and then I go back and use it to fill up his baby book!!

LOL....yeah I don't think nurseries are ever finished!!
That sounds so cute what you did Lea-Ann!!!! You'll have to share a picture!!

Since we all share a room right now....my DH deals with the stuffed Winnie the Pooh characters on hanging shelves and baby pictures on wall!!:blush:
But David loves looking at everything as he falls asleep!!

Dakota Rose
02-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Everything with this pregnancy has come on stronger, sooner and faster, so why am I surprised that as I sat on the couch this afternoon I had BH contractions. I'm almost 18 weeks and I *know* I didn't feel those until 30 weeks with DS. I was a little nervous at first, but I calmed down after having a drink of water and paying attention to my body. The c-section is tenatively scheduled for July 7, but I'm seriously considering making it earlier.

Terra
02-14-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been getting BH too Dakota!!! I'm 19 weeks tomorrow! I was around 30 weeks too with DS when I felt them!

I think my C Section is July 5th [though I'm still secretly hoping I go into labor before and oppss...don't make it in time for the C Section!! lol..]

I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is going though! Does it seem that way to you too?? Hey mommies with 2 already...did you're second [or 3rd or more] go faster as well?

I think because I'm so busy with David and I feel like I'm actually not ready yet for another that it's flying by!! lol..

Dakota Rose
02-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I think my C Section is July 5th [though I'm still secretly hoping I go into labor before and oppss...don't make it in time for the C Section!! lol.

I know, I've read your ideas about this and I'm both admiring of your bravery and somewhat bummed a VBAC isn't in the cards for me.

Terra
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
I know, I've read your ideas about this and I'm both admiring of your bravery and somewhat bummed a VBAC isn't in the cards for me.

Oh man, does your OB practice not allow it either?
I found out too that in Florida if you refuse a VBAC they can court order you to have one! I was also reading where one lady arrived at the hospital with the baby literally crowning [this is in Florida too!] ...She was hoping for a VBAC as well. Anyway, they gave her anesthesia telling her it was oxygen, knocked her out, pushed the baby back up and did a c section! She of course sued!

Speaking of BH in our earlier posts...I was having them again last night! It's kind of funny to actually know what they are and feel them already! But I drank a lot of water too and that helped!

ljv1975
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Everything with this pregnancy has come on stronger, sooner and faster, so why am I surprised that as I sat on the couch this afternoon I had BH contractions. I'm almost 18 weeks and I *know* I didn't feel those until 30 weeks with DS. I was a little nervous at first, but I calmed down after having a drink of water and paying attention to my body. The c-section is tenatively scheduled for July 7, but I'm seriously considering making it earlier.

Same here. This is my second pregnancy and I noticed my belly showing, a lot sooner than the first time around!! I am 26 weeks 2 days and I have been having BH for weeks now. Sometimes they are pretty strong, but I just change position and they seem to fade away. This pregnancy is just flying by so fast. I can't believe I am going to be in my final trimester in a week!!

Dakota Rose
02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh man, does your OB practice not allow it either?
I found out too that in Florida if you refuse a VBAC they can court order you to have one! I was also reading where one lady arrived at the hospital with the baby literally crowning [this is in Florida too!] ...She was hoping for a VBAC as well. Anyway, they gave her anesthesia telling her it was oxygen, knocked her out, pushed the baby back up and did a c section! She of course sued!

Speaking of BH in our earlier posts...I was having them again last night! It's kind of funny to actually know what they are and feel them already! But I drank a lot of water too and that helped!

My OB office allows it. But I havesome skeletal and physiological "deformities" (for lack of better word) that makes VB not an option for me. My midwife and her "advising" OB didn't make me aware of this with DS. I knew, from my chiro, that I had some issues but since no one ever said it would make labor difficult -- or in my case impossible -- I didn't know.

So I had a c-section because after 27 hours of labor (15 of which were on pitocin) he still hadn't engaged and I had only dilated to 2.5 cm, mostly because my anatomical problems. We moved since having DS and when I talked to my new OB before I was pregnant, she thought it would be fine to have a VBAC. But once she examined me, she said that she wouldn't recommend it and would not have allowed me to try with DS either.

The gal you mentioned with the forced c-section, man I've heard that stuff. It's scary. That's why I chose a midwife with DS. But if I told you some of the things she allowed to happen to me, you'd be horrified. :( In a way I'm glad I won't have to endure all that again, but sometimes I wish I could have had the perfect au naturel birth I'd wanted.

But, I know in my heart that DS's birth was meant to happen the way it did because I learned so much from it. :)

Dakota Rose
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Same here. This is my second pregnancy and I noticed my belly showing, a lot sooner than the first time around!! I am 26 weeks 2 days and I have been having BH for weeks now. Sometimes they are pretty strong, but I just change position and they seem to fade away. This pregnancy is just flying by so fast. I can't believe I am going to be in my final trimester in a week!!

Doctors and midwives say that with subsequent pregnancies our bodies "know what to do", so I guess they're right. It's so weird, though, isn't it? :)

ljv1975
02-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Doctors and midwives say that with subsequent pregnancies our bodies "know what to do", so I guess they're right. It's so weird, though, isn't it? :)

Oh yeah. I'm just hoping that it's also true that labor is shorter the second time around!! I labored for 12 1/2 hours with DD, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one!! :fingers:

Dakota Rose
02-16-2008, 11:01 AM
My mom has a friend whose first labor was about 10 hours or so. #2 was shorter, and then #3 was born in the car on the way to the hospital! :car:

May524
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello All!
At my appointment on Monday my dr. decided to schedule me to be induced on Tuesday at 8pm. I was totally shocked and NOT expecting this! The baby will be 37 weeks. Currently the baby is about 5 lbs, so hopefully it will be 6 when I deliver. Please keep me in your thoughts on TUesday!!!!! :cloud9:

mouseaddict
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I am sorry that you are being induced so early. But baby is 37 weeks..this is good. Anything after 36 weeks is good. I am assuming that you are still having swelling issues. I think they did some bloodwork too? Is this the reason for the induction?
Friends of ours recently had their daughter at 38 weeks and she was only 4 pounds! (this was not an induction). She was just as healthy as my 8 lb babies were!
I will keep you in my thoughts up until and including Tuesday. Just get some good rest over the next few days.

January-2007
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello All!
At my appointment on Monday my dr. decided to schedule me to be induced on Tuesday at 8pm. I was totally shocked and NOT expecting this! The baby will be 37 weeks. Currently the baby is about 5 lbs, so hopefully it will be 6 when I deliver. Please keep me in your thoughts on TUesday!!!!! :cloud9:

We'll be sure to keep you in our prayers!!! I can't believe we both got married a few weeks apart and you're already having your baby just next week- I am so very happy for you! :mickey:

Dakota Rose
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Good luck on your induction next week! Like Mouseaddict said, get lots of rest! A friend of mine always has small babies even though they're term -- like 5-6 pounds no bigger -- and they do fine. :) You and baby will be fine too!How exciting, you get to meet baby soon!

ljv1975
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Good luck next Tuesday!! I am sure your Dr. is doing what is best for you and your baby. I bet you can't wait to meet your little one. :congrats:

Please let us know how everything went as soon as you feel up to it! In the meantime try to rest up!!

May524
02-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I am sorry that you are being induced so early. But baby is 37 weeks..this is good. Anything after 36 weeks is good. I am assuming that you are still having swelling issues. I think they did some bloodwork too? Is this the reason for the induction?

Yes this is due to the swelling. I have mild pre-eclampsia. I'm so excited...but nervous at the same time!

May524
02-22-2008, 01:55 AM
We'll be sure to keep you in our prayers!!! I can't believe we both got married a few weeks apart and you're already having your baby just next week- I am so very happy for you! :mickey:

I know! Thanks so much! :cloud9:

Terra
02-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Sending lots of prayers, thoughts and :pixie: for Tuesday!!!! You'll be holding your precious baby very soon!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

I have my in depth 20 weeks u/s on Monday. I always get nervous at this one! They look for any issues with the organs and body!
Please send me some prayers and pixie too! We've just put in God's hands but I still can't help but be nervous!

Dakota Rose
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
My big u/s is wednesday. It can't come soon enough as I haven't had any ultrasounds with this pregnancy yet. With DS my midwife had already done three u/s before my big in depth 20 week one. I feel kind of anxious to see the baby and make sure all is well.

This little one doesn't move around as much as DS did and sometimes I worry. DH thinks there's more than 1 in there, and I suppose he could be right. But, in a few short days, we'll know for sure what the deal is. :)

Terra
02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
OH goodness!! Wouldn't that be a surprise!! TWINS!!
Gosh I can't believe you haven't even had the 12 weeks scan!! I would be anxious too!!

My good friend said her second baby didn't move around as much either and it used to kind of make her worry.

I can't say the same for me....I've felt flutters here and there and now within the last week, this little one is moving all the time like David did! EEkss...I may have 2 active boys on my hands!!!!! lol...no rest for mommy!!!

You mentioned earlier about having some issues so you can't deliver via vaginally...

By chance do you have Osteogenesis? A very good friend of mine in Ohio had it and her unborn baby had it as well, so they had to do a c section because they were worried about her hips and pelvis breaking during childbirth and of course the baby having it they were worried about him breaking some bones while being born. Everything turned out great. But you're situation sounded so similar to hers!!!

ljv1975
02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I will say that when I was pregnant with DD, she moved quite a bit, BUT now that I am 28 weeks along with DS I have noticed he moves a LOT more! He is constantly moving and making my belly change into all sorts of weird shapes! I do think feeling the baby move is one of the very best things about being pregnant. I will miss that!

Good luck to everyone getting their u/s exams!

Dakota Rose
02-23-2008, 12:05 PM
By chance do you have Osteogenesis?
Nope, no osteogenesis. My problem is a combination of a very narrow pelvic opening, hyperlordosis and sacroiliac joint dysfunction. If you picture the pelvic opening (where baby passes through) as being oval shaped and at a 45 degree angle to the ground, mine isn't. It's kind of figure-8 shaped and almost perpendicular to the ground because the pelvic bones don't line up correctly. I honestly don't know how much of it I was born with and how much of it was caused by the 2 back injuries I had when I was a teenager.

Beyond all that, DS was 9 lbs 12 oz. He couldn't even get his head into my pelvis! Neither my chiro nor my midwife ever said anything about my back/pelvis issues affecting my delivery ability, so I planned for a water-birth at the hospital b/c DH wouldn't consider a homebirth. "I can't" never occurred to me that's why I labored for 27 hours w/o drugs even though I'd been on pitocin for 15 of those 27 hours!

I hope that wasn't too much info for you!!! :blush:

Dakota Rose
02-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I will say that when I was pregnant with DD, she moved quite a bit, BUT now that I am 28 weeks along with DS I have noticed he moves a LOT more! He is constantly moving and making my belly change into all sorts of weird shapes! I do think feeling the baby move is one of the very best things about being pregnant. I will miss that!

Good luck to everyone getting their u/s exams!

DS was like that. I'd laugh at the almost alien shapes of my belly some times.

I agree. Feeling the baby move is one of the best parts of being pregnant! In fact, besides having the baby, I'd say the movement is the best part! :)

Flower
02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I loved the alien belly movements! DH liked it too because he could see it and be a part of it.

I remember one night I was in the bath and laying very still, the 'bump' started doing his 'belly dance' and the water was rippling - kind of like in Jurassic Park when the glass of water ripples - it was the coolest thing!!!!!

Good luck to all of those mommies going for ultra sounds - I hated that because Benj used to lay on my bladder and I always had to pee so bad - I used to be in tears!!!

May - best of luck to you this week!!!! :baby:

Lizzy
02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Best wishes May!

2 month old checkup- little PJ is big and healthy! His head and body length were in the 75 percentile, and his weight was off the charts at 15 lbs 8 oz! :blush:

He is so amazing. He has been sleeping through the night for about a week now. He is playing and batting at some of his toys.

The only thing is, his Dr said that he has a stiff neck muscle, probably from when he was inside and it just stayed that way. We have to do home neck excersizes with him, if they don't work then he will have to go for physical therapy. Anyone else had a baby with this?

Flower
02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Good Luck today May!!!

Hi Lizzy,

I have heard of children being born with sore muscles & bones, I know around here there are a lot of Massage Therapists that specialize in 'baby massage'. Good luck to little PJ - I hope he is ok, it stinks when they are so little and sore because they cannot tell us what is wrong.

Dakota Rose
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Best wishes May!
The only thing is, his Dr said that he has a stiff neck muscle, probably from when he was inside and it just stayed that way. We have to do home neck excersizes with him, if they don't work then he will have to go for physical therapy. Anyone else had a baby with this?

This isn't terribly uncommon. I'm actually a certified massage therapist and I used to teach infant massage to parents. I don't know how far you are from Miami, but the Touch Research Institue at UMiami Medical School is the leading researcher and training instition for infant massage. So, I know that you'll be able to find some well-qualified massage therapists.

There's a few ways to find such a person.
* Your hospital and/or OB may offer classes
* Leisure learning programs at community college or recreation dept
* American Massage Therapy Association offers a "find a therapist" link. I'll PM you with the people it found in your area. :)

meldan98
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Hello Ladies,

I just found out through a home test that I'm pregnant on Monday. :secret: I am so excited. With our first we tried for a year. This time it only took 3 months. We aren't telling anyone yet, but since I don't really know any of you personally and no one I know posts here, I guess it's okay. :blush:

This will be our second and I am scared to death about the birth process with this one. The doctor may not even let me deliver do to all of the issue with my first child. I had 31 hours of labor and they had to remove Abby using forceps which was against my wishes. I was injured due to the forceps and the dr that delivered me lied on my records about my injuries. My dr. found out and the dr. who delivered me got fired. But due to the delivery, my dr. isn't she if she even wants me to deliver again. We've talked about in the past, so I guess we'll just wait and see. My birth story is one the scares all 1st time moms. So if there are any of you out there, I'm sorry, I'm one of those rare stories. Most of the time, birth is painful but not as bad as mine. ;)

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Congrats meldan! That's exciting. :) I had a traumatic first delivery as well and my midwife also didn't divulge the truth in my records. I didn't know this until after we'd moved 1800 miles away and she's no longer working where she was when we used her. So I understand your fears. :hug: My new OB (who is wonderful) won't let me deliver again, so I'm having another c-section and I'm okay with that. It is comforting to know I won't have to endure that other stuff this time. If you need to chat or want encouragement, PM me. :)

Terra, did you have your U/S? How'd it go?

I had my u/s today. I'm so thrilled to say it's a GIRL :princess: ! :cloud9: Yay! She's measuring big, so they up'd my due date a little. Not a surprise. DS was big too. So we scheduled my c-section for 7/10! Yay! We have to go back for a 2nd u/s because baby girl wouldn't roll over and they couldn't get enough images of her spine. That's okay with me, the more pictures the the better!

ljv1975: how are you feeling? better I hope!

ljv1975
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I had my u/s today. I'm so thrilled to say it's a GIRL :princess: ! :cloud9: Yay! She's measuring big, so they up'd my due date a little. Not a surprise. DS was big too. So we scheduled my c-section for 7/10! Yay! We have to go back for a 2nd u/s because baby girl wouldn't roll over and they couldn't get enough images of her spine. That's okay with me, the more pictures the the better!

ljv1975: how are you feeling? better I hope!

:congrats: on having a baby girl!! :princess: Did you have a feeling it would be a girl? For me, when I was pregnant with DD I would have bet she was a boy, and this time I was sure it was another girl, but no mistaking the fact that this baby is a boy! So, my hunches were always WRONG!!

I am feeling much better today than I did yesterday. Thanks so much for asking. I am still feeling a bit under the weather, but I am trying to think positive and take my medicine. I see my OB on Friday for a regular prenatal appointment, so I'm sure he will check to see how I'm doing then.

Dakota Rose
02-27-2008, 10:57 PM
ljv:

I'm glad you're feeling better and glad you're seeing your OB this week. I hope you're at 100% before you leave for WDW!

With DS, I knew from the second I took the pregnancy test (all 5 of them!) that it was a boy. With this one, I didn't have as strong of a hunch until the end of the first trimester. But, I was scared I would be wrong and then would be disappointed. I mean, I'd be happy with a healthy baby boy too, but in my heart, I really wanted a girl. :)

Terra
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Yay on a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine went well too. Still a boy here...lol....
Funny enough they couldn't get the baby to roll either to get the last 2 pictures of the heart so we get another u/s too!! [They did get the 3 main pictures though and that looked A-OK :0)

This little munchkin is right on right now. 12 oz....
David was the same way and then around 7 months he was suddenly measuring 2-3 weeks ahead from there on out.

Flower
02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Congrats Medlan - I really hope this delivery goes better for you.

lvj - lets hope you stay feeling better.

Yah Terra and the little man!!!!

Congrats to both of you on getting new ultra sounds. I had quite a few with Ben too. I paid to have one of the 3-D ultrasounds done and the little Monkey was curled up in a ball! We got a few face pictures, but he was hardly moving around at all!

meldan98
02-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you Dakota Rose!

Congratulations on it being a girl.

With my first I had an u/s at almost every appointment I went to because my dd was they shy type and didn't want anyone to hear her heart beat. We didn't actually hear it until the 20 week u/s. The first couple of times scared me to death, but after that it got to be a big joke.

Dakota Rose
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Stubborn babies on this forum! 2 that wouldn't roll over, one all balled up, and another who hid her heartbeat! :)

DD is also 12 oz. I'm technically 19 weeks, so she's about 6 days ahead. No biggie. But then DS was that far ahead too and ended up being 10 lbs! I figure with the c-section being 8 days ahead of her new due date, she should be around 8 pounds or so. Guess I have to wait and see......

What's everyone doing (or did) for a nursery theme, colors, etc?

ljv1975
02-28-2008, 11:56 PM
What's everyone doing (or did) for a nursery theme, colors, etc?

DD's nursery was Classic Pooh themed. We did pale yellow walls with white trim and the Classic Pooh wallpaper border. I even decoupaged (sp?) Pooh knobs for her dresser drawers!

She is now moving into a "big girl" bedroom with a Disney Princess theme, (it is VERY pink!) and when DS is born he will have the Classic Pooh nursery. I am glad we kept the nursery a neutral color and didn't do it pink because then we would have to redo 2 rooms instead of just changing the guest room to DD's new room!!

Dakota Rose
02-29-2008, 08:49 PM
DS's nursery was Mickey and Minnie nursery rhymes in a denim blue and burnt red. But when we moved to the new house he got a train room and his "big boy" bed.

For DD, I'm wanting to do a Disney theme but I don't really want to do a princess theme b/c our guestroom is Cinderella. And nobody flame me, but I'm not a big pooh fan. So, I found a Minnie border that I might use. It's in pastel colors and has Minnie riding a bicycle through a little french-looking village. But I just don't know...

May524
02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I had my baby! It was a BOY! I went in for my pre-admit work on Monday, was supposed to be induced Tuesday night...well they admitted me then due to the high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia. I was SO shocked! Labor was well...labor and my 1st dose of an epidural didn't work fast enough, so I had to get a 2nd and WHEW after that I don't remember ANY pain and delivery was SUPER easy! :thumbsup: However, after delivery I was still having to stay in L&D due to my high blood pressure and I was still receiving magnesium to make my blood pressure drop. After 48hrs of having to stay IN bed during labor and delivery I was allowed to go to a post pardum room, it was great to be able to walk again! My baby did great! Since I was only 37 weeks he was only 6 lbs, but super adorable! We are currently dealing with jaundice, but I wanted to give everyone an update!

Flower
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Ahhh May - Congratulations!!!!! Glad to hear the delivery went well too - thank god for the epi!!

Does baby boy have a name yet???!!!:baby:

You mention he is jaundice - is he still in the hospital or are you home yet?

Ben was jaundice and we had to stay so he could be under the photo lamps for 2 days - poor little guy. I almost cried every time they took blood from his tiny little feet. :cry: I ended up being in the hospital for 5 days because of it, and they were not going to release us at first, but I had to promise to go see my doc and have blood work first thing the next morning - fortunately everything was ok with him after that.

mouseaddict
02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Congrats May! I am so pleased to hear that the dlivery went well. It is also great tha you were able to deliver naturally..so often inductions wind up in the O.R. Both my little ones were jaundiced..they spent lots of time in the windows but we were able to take them home. Keep us posted on the little man!

Terra
03-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Congrats May!!!!!!! Can't wait to see pictures of you're little guy!!!
We were jaundiced here too!

Since we co-sleep we don't really do a nursery so no theme here. I did put up some Pooh stuff for David though, now he just plays with it since he's old enough! I have a collection of big stuffed animals that was given to me as a gift. He loves them!

Flower
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Benjie's nursery was lavender when he came home from the hospital - I had it in my head that he is a boy and needed blue, so I re-painted.

I am decorating with stars! I have to post pics - I promised Terra a while ago that I would...I am such a procrastinator!:blush:

Dakota Rose
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Congrats, May! Glad you're both doing well. :)
6lbs at 3 weeks early is really good! Way to go! Yay!

In other news, my MIL is back to her old tricks again. Shortly after Christmas, we told her that when the baby comes we wanted her to come visit but it would be better if she stayed somewhere other than our house. So since then she's basically ignored me. But today she said something like she wanted to meet the baby asap but understood houseguests were too much so when would it be okay for her to come and stay. In other words, coming right away and staying at a hotel or with another family member is too inconvenient for her. DH is completely irritated and just ignored it entirely. I'm like, fine let the games begin.

May524
03-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Ahhh May - Congratulations!!!!! Glad to hear the delivery went well too - thank god for the epi!!

Does baby boy have a name yet???!!!:baby:

You mention he is jaundice - is he still in the hospital or are you home yet?

Thanks!

Yes his name is Noah. :cloud9:

He was able to come home...yay! I was nervous, but my ob said since my bp was still out of sorts, if he had to stay she would have let me stay. We have to go back on MOnday to check his levels, so I hope he doesn't have to stay, but we are doing everything we can to make it all better.

Dakota Rose
03-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Noah is a great name, May! :) I hope you get good news tomorrow and that he doesnt' have to stay at the hospital. :)

IloveJack
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Congrats, May! I love the name Noah.
Here's hoping you get good news today!

meldan98
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Congratulations May! I hope that everything goes well and you will get to go home soon. Noah is a beautiful name.

My dd's theme was really just a Disney theme. We did blue walls with white clouds, and then hung up some Disney artwork. When I had my dd they didn't have any Disney bedding, so I just went with a Noah's Ark theme bedding. It looked a little odd, but it was really cute. For this baby, I'm not sure yet what we are going to do. We move into our new house (yippee) on March 28th, so right now, I'm just focused on getting my dd's room designed. She really want's pink walls and a princess theme, but I don't really like the princess bedding that's out right now, so, I'm think just generic pink bedding and then having a castle mural on the wall. When we move, we are moving her out of her toddler bed into a big girl bed. She is so excited. Now, if she would just sleep in her bed. :blush:

We have had such a rough week. My DH has been fighing the flu or something and I've been fighting morning sickness all week, while trying to take care of everybody else. I'm exhausted. The morning sickness is worse today than it has been so far and nobody at work knows I'm pg. Today is definately a MONDAY!!!

Lacy
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats May! I hope everything went well with your follow up appointments and little Noah is doing well!

This is my first post in the Moms to be club and it looks like I'm "joining" at an exciting time. I am about 11 weeks along with my first. DH and I are both very excited but realize there is a lot that we have to learn!

So far I have really felt good, just been nauseous a few morning. Mostly, I've been really tired and have slept a lot! I'm glad to see that there are so many experienced moms here on Intercot to answer any silly questions I may have.

Flower
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome Lacy and Congratulations!!!!

We are here to help you out as best we can!!!!

Stitchahula
03-08-2008, 09:43 AM
congrats lacy. Try to remember the best advice I ever got is "you're new at being a mom but the baby is new at being a baby you'll learn together." What she meant was no one starts off being the perfect mom so try not to sweat the small stuff.
I'm new to this thread but my boys are almost 5 years and the baby just turned 8 months. The baby is already walking as long as he can hold onto stuff, I'm in for so much trouble with him.

Terra I'm glad to see someone else that cosleeps I usually get a lot of grief for it, but I like having my boys next to me.

harlowandthemermaid
03-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Congrats on baby Noah, May!

Hope everyone else is doing well and ready for spring! I am so ready!

I'm coming off 2 illnesses back to back, I had a cold/flu and then got food poisoning just as I was starting to recover. I'm finally starting to feel normal again. Vivien has stayed healthy throughout the whole ordeal, thankfully.

Our biggest challenge lately has been sleep issues. it's been better this week but for a while she was waking up almost every hour!!!!!

I know what you all mean about the cosleeping. I get grief for it sometimes too, but I wouldn't have it any other way. WE actually do have a crib but I knew she wasn't going to sleep in it. I do feel like getting a crib bumper was a waste but the comforter we got has come in handy because I sit it on the floor and she plays on it. It has the alphabet on it and animals.

Hope all the pregnant ladies are free from morning sickness and other issues and that our moms are getting some sleep!

Here's some recent pics of Vivien
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/coolhairmel/vivien/vivien%2008/
She'll be 9 months old next week!!!!Time flies.

I'm going to make sure to pop in more often, I lost my password for a while.

May524
03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Congrats May! I hope everything went well with your follow up appointments and little Noah is doing well!

Noah is doing well! He has finally gained some weight, but not up to birth weight yet!

Congrats LACY!!! :D

Dakota Rose
03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome and Congrats Lacy! :)

When it comes to motherhood, there are no silly questions! :)

IloveJack
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
This is my first post in the Moms to be club and it looks like I'm "joining" at an exciting time. I am about 11 weeks along with my first. DH and I are both very excited but realize there is a lot that we have to learn!

Lacy, when are you due? I'm 10 weeks and 3 days with my first, also. Congrats! The queasiness is about to get me, too. I keep losing weight. I'm not actually "tossing my cookies," but I can't even force food down at night. Not eating what used-to-be my biggest meal of the day has taken the pounds off. If I could eat all 3 meals of the day between noon and 5pm, I'd be great. Any other time, I'm just :ack:!

However, I find it, um... amusing (not!) that I'm losing weight, but still can't get my jeans zipped. Ugh... I bought a "belly band" this weekend. We'll see how it works. How long did all of you experienced Moms make it with your first, without buying maternity clothes?

meldan98
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Welcome Lacy! Congratulations.

I completely agree with Stitchahula. When I had my first, I had never even changed a diaper. But you know, my dd had no idea that they 1st 3 tries at putting on a diaper were a disaster. :blush:

dumbo_buddy
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
hi ladies...quick question here i'm hoping you can help me out...

i'm not pg but DH and i sure are tryin!! if all goes well this month, i would be due Dec. 4th. we have a trip to disney planned for Sept. 17th. will i be too far along to go? i understand about not riding the intense rides. we would just want to go and take it easy and enjoy ourselves. but, is disney at 28-29 weeks doable?

Dakota Rose
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
How long did all of you experienced Moms make it with your first, without buying maternity clothes?

With my DS, I barely made it to 12 weeks before having to buy maternity clothes. I had the opposite problem you're having. If I didn't eat every 90 minutes or so, I was really sick. So I ballooned up pretty fast.

With this pregnancy, I started wearing maternity tops around 17 weeks and I'm still getting by on elastic waist pants. This time around, I got sick when I ate, so like you I skipped a lot of meals. But now that that phase passed, the poundage is starting to add up.

As long as you and baby are healthy, you're doing fine. :)

May524
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
How long did all of you experienced Moms make it with your first, without buying maternity clothes?

I didn't really start wearing only maternity clothes till about 6 months.

Terra
03-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Congrats Lacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so glad everything went well and you're holding your precious baby now!!!!!!!

Terra I'm glad to see someone else that cosleeps I usually get a lot of grief for it, but I like having my boys next to me.

Yay another co-sleeper!! Yeah for some reason in western culture the art of co-sleeping has been kind of lost which is sad in my opinion. It is such a great bonding time.
I also did lots of research about it and read case studies on how beneficial it is to the family and especially to the child's neurological growth and well being. If you're ever interested, you can PM me and I'll give you the links to some great articles!

I know what you all mean about the cosleeping. I get grief for it sometimes too, but I wouldn't have it any other way. WE actually do have a crib but I knew she wasn't going to sleep in it. I do feel like getting a crib bumper was a waste but the comforter we got has come in handy because I sit it on the floor and she plays on it. It has the alphabet on it and animals.

I wouldn't have it any other way either! I agree about the bumpers being a waste, plus if you do use a crib they are not recommenced at all for safety and SIDS reasons. I never put them on my bed. [I got my bedding as a gift.] But like you I use the comforter a lot!

We actually ended up doing the "side car crib" thing with our crib to make the bed "bigger" and prepare for new baby.

Here are some pictures of what I mean :)
By the way, Vivian is just too beautiful!!!!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/babygougeII/ASidecarcrib004.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/babygougeII/ASidecarcrib003.jpg

Oh and sorry I've been missing in action for over a week! We finally found a great little rental house and moved in all last week and had no internet!! Arrrgghhhh....lol....

Flower
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Terra - YOU MOVED!!!!! :clappy: :clappy: Where abouts are you now? Congratulations!!!! I know it is a big step and you had mentioned your landlady had been good to you, but that whole no air conditioning would have really ticked me off!!! Are you closer to :mickey:???!!!

I love your bed set-up. I love it when Ben is close to me, he slept in our room in the pack in play for a few months when he was 'new' - I loved having him close by. I could never sleep with him in our bed - NEVER. I was too conscious of him being there and too afraid of him rolling out or getting crushed!

Ben decided to take his first tumble out of his crib yesterday - Brandon was there for the 'assist' :thedolls: I was in the kitchen while Ben was napping - I heard him wake up but I had a bout 10 more minutes of cleaning I wanted to get done before I brought him downstairs. Brandon heard Ben and wanted to go see him - sure honey, what a nice big brother!

Well, Brandon decided to throw EVERYTHING he could find into the crib - 3 over-sized throw pillows, 2 regular pillows - the change pad, Bandon's blankets - essentially there was no room for Ben left! Poor kid climbed on top of the pile and went over the edge - thud...:cry: I was so mad a Bran - we have told him many times that only mommy & daddy can put stuff in Bens crib - oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, and he was not hurt, just scared him.

Dumbo Buddy
Congratulations on TTC!!! (Trying to Conceive) Have fun and good luck!!!! Honestly/Personally, if you are that far along I would not want to be traveling all that way, even if it is for Disney. You'd really have to talk to your doctor for his/her opinion.

Terra
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh my gosh....poor Ben!!!!!!! It is so scary whenever they take that first big fall from anywhere!!!

I know what you mean about being fearful with them in the bed though! When David was "new" [love that!] I had a mini co sleeper [the snuggle nest] actually in the bed...it had soft walls and all so you couldn't roll over onto it...He was in that for about 4 months then we had the pack n play right up against our bed with the bassinet part in it and he was in that until about 6 months...I did let him into bed then and he slept in the crook of my arm every night until about 11 months when he wanted to lay how he liked!! lol...so shortly after we did the side car crib thing!

Well our new place is not closer to Disney! LOL...it's in the same town....but I love having an actual house. It's small but so homey and cozy!! It's about 750 sq feet. And it has a big porch where David can play and I can sit at the outside table with him!

Yeah that old landlord...I'll tell ya...it had been 5 1/2 months with no air and 4 months with no refrigerator by the time we moved out! The new landlord is wonderful here at the house. He is actually a member of our church too. We really felt like we were all supposed to work together on this.

Oh and the new place has a brand new Central Heat and Air unit!!! AND energy saving windows!!! yay!!! Lower electric bills!!

Dakota Rose
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
hi ladies...quick question here i'm hoping you can help me out...

i'm not pg but DH and i sure are tryin!! if all goes well this month, i would be due Dec. 4th. we have a trip to disney planned for Sept. 17th. will i be too far along to go? i understand about not riding the intense rides. we would just want to go and take it easy and enjoy ourselves. but, is disney at 28-29 weeks doable?

Good luck and may you see a + sign later this month! :)

Anyhow, we did DLR when I was 27 weeks. I had a great time and got to enjoy things in the park I usually overlooked. DH made sure I drank lots of water and we took naps each afternoon. Most doctors let you travel until you're 34-36 weeks, but you'll definitely want to ask about it! If doc does say it would be okay, I would strongly suggest buying travel insurance just in case something changes or you're not up to it.

Dakota Rose
03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I just need to whine for a minute.

I caught a bad cold last Tuesday and have been sick ever since. It's in my chest but I'm also all congested and it's given me laryngitis to boot.

My doc said I can take robitussin (regular) for my cough, acetametophin for the aches/fever and Sudafed (regular) for the congestion. Well that's all fine and dandy but the Sudafed doesn't let me sleep and leaves me feeling jittery. Last night I took it at 8:30pm and finally went to bed at 11. I just laid there, my heart pounding in my chest, until almost 4 am.

I'm just sick of feeling sick!

Flower
03-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I just need to whine for a minute.

I caught a bad cold last Tuesday and have been sick ever since. It's in my chest but I'm also all congested and it's given me laryngitis to boot.

My doc said I can take robitussin (regular) for my cough, acetametophin for the aches/fever and Sudafed (regular) for the congestion. Well that's all fine and dandy but the Sudafed doesn't let me sleep and leaves me feeling jittery. Last night I took it at 8:30pm and finally went to bed at 11. I just laid there, my heart pounding in my chest, until almost 4 am.

I'm just sick of feeling sick!

Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon.

Terra, I forgot about the fridge thing - she seriously did not fix it for 4 months!!! WOW - I would not have been paying rent...I think I would have bought a new fridge and given her that as my 'rent'. I don't understand how slum-lords get away with that. Glad to hear everything has worked out - sounds like it was definitely worth the wait and definitely meant to be! :party:

Lacy
03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Lacy, when are you due? I'm 10 weeks and 3 days with my first, also. Congrats!

Congrats to you as well! My due date is Sept 26 so it looks like we are right around the same stage. I'm so sorry that you've been so sick. I feel very lucky that I've felt very good most days. I hear that at the beginning of the second trimester we will start to feel a lot better and have more energy. I'm personally looking forward to not having to take a nap on the couch every evening after work because I"m so tired. My pants just started feeling tight this week. Luckily, I've held on to pants that I had when I was a bit heavier that I'm hoping will last me for another month before I have to buy too many new clothes.

I hope you get to feeling better Dakota Rose!

Terra, glad you got into a place with air! I can't imagine living in FL without it.

We are planning to find out if it is a boy or girl and I'm holding off on buying stuff until we learn (another 2 months). Just curious, how many of you found out or are planning to find out?

IloveJack
03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Luckily, I've held on to pants that I had when I was a bit heavier that I'm hoping will last me for another month before I have to buy too many new clothes.

Just curious, how many of you found out or are planning to find out?

I've done the same thing (I lost 35 lbs. about 4 years ago, and kept a couple pairs of pants). They're khakis, so I can wear them to work, but I wish I had kept some jeans. Oh well, my "work-out" pants are more comfy anyhow!

We're planning to find out. Although the nursery will be the same either way, and we have both a girl's name and a boy's name picked out already. I just want to know if I should be buying those adorable dresses, or some little overalls. :blush:

dumbo_buddy
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
thank you for your reply, Dakota & Flower. i appreciate it! hopefully i'll be joining you gals soon :)

:mickey:

Flower
03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I think I was about 12 weeks when I started wearing mat pants - I loved those things!!! I actually bought most of my mat wear at second hand and consignment shops. I bought quite a few pairs of jeans, tops, skirts and shorts for a very reasonable price - I figured people really did not wear them for very long so why not!

We did not find out in Ben was going to be a boy or girl, I said all along he would be a boy. Our nursery had been my craft room and was painted a lilac color about 3 months before I got pregnant, so I was set as having that as the nursery color. Along came Ben and it bothered me that the room was not blue, so I painted it shortly after he was born, we went with a star theme.

As far as baby outfits for the hospital and homecoming - I bought a light green outfit thinking it was neutral and dual purpose - regretted it ever since! I wish I had of bought both a pink and blue outfit so when the baby was born I could bring them home in the 'appropriate' colors.

I never thought I would be so into the pink/blue thing, but once he came along it felt like the thing to do.

May524
03-13-2008, 09:33 AM
We didn't find out what we were having. My nephew was supposed to be a girl...SO with that being said, I didn't findo ut. :blush: However, EVERYONE was convinced I was having a girl. My DH and I so thought it was a girl. But we still did our nursery gender neutral (Animals on Parade from Pottery Barn) and bought only gender neutral outfits. Well...surprise, it was a boy! For DH and I it was the most exciting and surprising thing of our lives!

Terra
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
It's been fun reading who did and didn't find out!

I did not want to know with David but my husband did so we finally found out.
With this one I wanted to know just so I know cost wise what to buy. Which is next to nothing since it's another boy!! woo hoo!

I just had a good friend who did a birthing center birth and they did not know. It was so exciting to wait and hear! They kind of felt like it was a girl but it was a boy!

Dakota Rose
03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
We didn't find out with DS because DH didn't want to know. But we both had a gut feeling from the second I took the test that he was a boy.

With this one, I told DH flat out that I was finding out whether he wanted to know or not. I did it for the same reason Terra mentioned. I wanted to know what I needed to donate and what I needed to buy.

meldan98
03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
We found out with our first (a girl), but we aren't sure if we want to find out with the 2nd. There isn't much I need, and I have a friend who can give me all her boy stuff its a boy and I have friend I can give all my girl stuff that doesn't fit my dd anymore. I'm leaning towards finding out so that we can get rid of the girl clothes if need be and my friend can get rid of her boy clothes. So we shall see. I'm a huge planner, so I'm betting we will find out.

I'm 7 weeks now (I think) and I've got my dr.'s appointment next week. The only people who know are my best friend and her husband (who is also my boss). She guessed when we went to a nice dinner and I didn't want a cocktail or wine. My dh is really against telling anyone this time until after the ultrasound at my 8 week, which is really bumming me out.

Just yesterday, I had to start wearing my mat. pants that don't look like mat. pants. I've only got two pair, so I guess I'm going shopping at the 2nd hand maternity store this weekend.

Kairi_7378
03-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I've been lurking on the thread for a little while now... but at 15 weeks along it looks like everything is going well and it looks like I'll be a Mom in the beginning of September. I am just coming to the realization that I might need to look at maternity clothes, or at least larger ones. I work on construction sites as a part of my job, and maternity jeans just look so flimsy to me, plus I am having a really hard time finding petite maternity clothes. (Why is it so much easier to find cute baby clothes than maternity clothes?) I haven't really been sick at all but now I am starting to show, so it seems more real than it did when I first found out. I had to have a couple of ultrasounds already so that helps.

I was curious, has anyone here felt more nervous than excited when they were expecting? I am happy about having a baby but I am worried about being a mom, too. It seems like everyone is more excited about the baby than I am! I have had a few miscarriages so I am not sure if this is normal after having had trouble before.

Congrats to May on your new little boy. Harlow, Vivian is adorable. I enjoyed your trip reports from before. The pics of Vivian and Chip and Dale are adorable.

Dakota Rose
03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome Kairi and congratulations!

I was excited with my first, and I've been nervous and anxious with this one. I think because DS was a surprise, and this one was planned. And this pregnancy has been so different from my first, that I've been nervous. Definitely with my first, I got nervous the closer my due date came. I was unsure I'd know how to be a mom. And there was a lot of learning to do, but it's amazing how much of it just comes to you in an innate way. :)

Try journaling, that might help qualm your worries. :)

Anyway, congrats! :)

May524
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I was curious, has anyone here felt more nervous than excited when they were expecting? I am happy about having a baby but I am worried about being a mom, too. It seems like everyone is more excited about the baby than I am! I have had a few miscarriages so I am not sure if this is normal after having had trouble before.

First off congrats!!! :party:
And yes...I was SO NERVOUS! I was nervous the WHOLE pregnancy! I'm not saying I wasn't excited...I was...but I definetly know where you are coming from! :blush:

ljv1975
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey everyone! I hope everyone is feeling well! We got back from our trip at the begining of the week and I'm finally getting used to being home again and in our normal routine!

Congrats to all of the new moms-to-be on here and good luck to those trying!!

I just wanted to put my two cents into going to Disney while pregnant. I just did it at 30 weeks, and it was fine!! I was able to sit and take breaks during the day while DD was napping in her stroller and DH rode the rides we couldn't. I'm not saying my feet didn't ache (boy, did they ever!!), but I think even people who aren't pregnant get aches and pains from walking around the parks all week. I would say that as long as your doctor says it's OK, to go for it!!

We found out what we were having with DD and with this pregnancy! DH and I both wanted to know. My Mom thought I should be surprised, but there was no way! I mean, I still try to peek and guess about Christmas presents! I could not wait and be surprised! With DD, I thought I was having a boy, so that was a shocker when they told me she was a girl. This time around, I thought for sure I was having another girl, but he's a boy!! At first, he wasn't cooperating, but I basically refused to leave until they could tell! :blush: I'm happy that we'll have one of each. I think this may be it for us.

I am excited for sure, but also very nervous. I've been getting the braxton hicks contractions every day on and off all day long. At times, they are really getting painful. I worry about the health of the baby, if everything will go OK, and how my DD will make the adjustment to becoming a big sister. Really, the list of worries is endless, but I'm still excited!!

Anyway, back to what I said about not having more children. I was thinking about getting a tubal after this birth, but I'm not sure. It's just so permanent. I really don't think we'll want more kids, but then again you can never know for sure. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts of this. Thanks ladies!

Well, sorry to go on and on, but I wanted to catch up with everyone and get back in the loop! Have a great day!

Dakota Rose
03-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I've always wanted 3 kids. But I also thought I'd be done having kids before my 30s. My DH is in his 40s. He worries about being too old. This pregnancy has been really, really hard on me. When we found out we're having a girl, I realized I'd be content with one of each. But, even still when my OB asked if I'd have a tubal along with the c-section, I said no. It does seem "final". Even though I dread the thought of going back on birth control, I'm just not ready to give up the dream of 3 kids. Ironically, if DH wanted a vasectomy, I'd say ok. Isnt that odd?

mouseaddict
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I knew I was done when I was pregnant with DD. My DH actually had a vasectomy while I was pregnant. DD was a HUGE oops..DH and I had been separated and had just decided to give things a try again.
I wanted a tubal and they were going to perform it while they did the c-section but I had too much scar tissue from my previous section. At least DH has had the vasectomy.

ljv1975
03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I have tried to get DH to look into a vasectomy, but just the word makes him cringe! I guess we'll have to look at all of the options and decide what is best from there.

Terra
03-17-2008, 08:02 AM
It's a very tough decision! And one that we face as well. My DH was done after David [our first! LOL]...I thought I was too then when David hit about 4 months old I got baby fever so bad again and wanted to be pregnant right away...we talked and talked and agreed on one more.

And this will be it. Although I would love another but for us it just wouldn't be a good decision. So now we are looking at either a vasectomy or tubal. My DH wants the vasectomy which is fine with me. Much less risk for a man and less complications. And more easily reversed "just in case".

On a serious funny "denial" note.
This pregnancy is going by sooooooooooooo fast! With David it drug by because I was sooooo nervous that something would go wrong [having had 2 previous miscarriages], and I was just bored and couldn't wait for my baby to be here.

Well this pregnancy is literally getting away from me! Everytime I have a prenatal appointment I think "didn't I just have one!"
And then the kicker...the other day my good friend said, "I can't believe you are 23 weeks already!" And I replied..."What do you mean? I'm only 21 weeks!".....then I got to looking and counting and sure enough I was 23 weeks!!! I haven't even changed my siggy ticker! I better go do that now! :blush: It is just flying by!!!!!!!!

Oh and June 30th is my C Section! I keep saying...that's only 3 1/2 months!!!!! Yikes!!!!

ljv1975
03-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I know exactly what you mean! Just last night I was telling Levi that this time, the pregnancy seems to be going by super fast. With Sophie, I was home by myself and bored all the time. Now since I have her to occupy my time, it seems like the days just fly by.

With Sophie, I counted the days until my due date, but this time I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited, but I'm trying to treasure the last few weeks that Sophie and I will have together before her brother arrives! Sometimes I still get a little choked up because I won't have as much time to spend with her one on one, but I just try to tell myself that everything will be ok.

At my last prenatal appointment, they told me I would start coming every two weeks now, and I couldn't believe it was that time already! I'm 31 weeks now, but it seems like I just took the pregnancy test!

On another note, Levi finally finished Sophie's new princess bedroom! Last night was her first official night in her "big girl" bed. I was worried she would get out of bed as soon as we left, but she didn't! I checked on her a little while after tucking her in and the little angel was laying sideways in the bed and snoring away!! I'm so proud of her, but also a little sad that she seems to be growing up so fast!! If that makes any sense.

Terra
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
oh boy...every two weeks!! You know it's getting close then!!!

Same here about not counting the days until due date this time....I mean of course I know the day but gosh, I really did wish away pregnancy with David because I just wanted him here so much...this time I'm trying to enjoy it as well [and trying hard not to worry myself to death like I did with David!]

I am so excited and blessed, my mom and best friend just told me this weekend that they are giving me a shower!!! I didn't even expect one since this is #2!
And thankfully I don't even need much. I actually had made a list about a week or so ago for my own records of things to get and I only have 8 things on there!!!

Dakota Rose
03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
For me this pregnancy is going slow. So slow. Painfully slow. I was working when pregnant w/DS so I think that made it go faster. I keep telling myself that once DS is out of school in May, then things will go faster, but sheesh. I guess I shouldn't complain. We're rearranging a bunch of rooms in the house to make room for our little angel. The room we'd thought we'd use as a nursery is now going to be the guestroom and blah blah blah. So I guess I need all the time I can get.... but I just want to see my little girl!!!

Lacy
03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Congrats Kairi!

I have a less serious topic/question/frustration. So I've been shopping for maternity pants and was wondering why it is so difficult for the fashion world to understand that short women have babies too! I can't find one pair of 'short' or 'petite' maternity pants. It has been frustrating checking every store and finding cute clothes that just don't work. I've gotten a few pairs that I will have my mom hem but it would be nice if I could wear them without alterations.

Sorry had to vent. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar frustrations or if anyone knows where to find petite maternity pants.

May524
03-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Lacy, I couldn't agree MORE! I had the hardest times buying pants...so....I would usually buy the "capri" style and they would be normal on me! One pair of pants was so long that I could put it all the way up to my shoulders almost when I wore it and it was STILL too long!

meldan98
03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I completely agree. I'm 5' 2" and I have the hardest time with pants. I finally just resorted to buying tall people capri pants in '03 when I was pg with my first. I loaned out some of my clothes and of course, never got them back. So last weekend I hit a 2nd hand store my friend told me about and after going through the entire rack I was able to find a couple of pairs of pants, a pair of actual capris that actually fit like capris and a pair of bremuda shorts. When I looked at the labels, I discovered that Gap sells Ankle length, so you may want to try there. You can forget Motherhood. I went there already and they didn't have anything for us "little people" :blush:

Kairi_7378
03-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Lacey, I am also having the maternity pants problem! I did go to Motherhood and their "petite" pants are too long for me! (I'm 5'-0".) I HATE capris so I don't know what I am going to do when I get bigger. My other frustration is that maternity jeans seem to be on the flimsy side. This is a problem for me since I still have to visit construction sites and don't want to go through a pair of pants on every site visit! When I am out on a job site, I have resorted to stealing my husband's jeans because we are the same height and he outweighs me by about 40 pounds. Not the most attractive fit... but at least I am not worried about ripping the pants.

Dakota Rose
03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm average height and still find maternity pants to be long. I guess they do that to accomodate our growing bellies but it's irritating. I've been wearing a lot of leggings instead -- thank God those came back in fashion. I'm ready for spring/summer and sundresses.

Kairi_7378
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Definitely with my first, I got nervous the closer my due date came. I was unsure I'd know how to be a mom. And there was a lot of learning to do, but it's amazing how much of it just comes to you in an innate way. :)

And yes...I was SO NERVOUS! I was nervous the WHOLE pregnancy! I'm not saying I wasn't excited...I was...but I definetly know where you are coming from! :blush:

Thanks for the encouragement! It is good to hear that these feelings aren't abnormal. Now that I am starting to show a little, DH is starting to get more excited and it eases the nervousness a lot.

I had my 4-month checkup this week, and I got to hear the heartbeat. I got very nervous before the appointment because I kept having this dream that something was wrong (crazy pregnancy dreams! ugh!) and the nurse couldn't find the heartbeat for a while. It was a HUGE relief to hear that! Apparently the little guy (girl?) is very active in the early morning because we had trouble getting the right pictures for my first trimester screening ultrasound. He will be very ready for my very early wake up calls when we take our Disney trips!

Kairi_7378
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
We went to Babies R Us this weekend to take a look at what was on the market for babies. I have a very big family but the youngest baby is 4 now so I wanted to see the latest stuff. If you believe the marketing people, you need at least 3 of everything in the store! My question for the veteran moms is, did you buy any equipment that turned out to not be useful? Were there any things that turned out to be surprisingly useful?

ljv1975
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
We went to Babies R Us this weekend to take a look at what was on the market for babies. I have a very big family but the youngest baby is 4 now so I wanted to see the latest stuff. If you believe the marketing people, you need at least 3 of everything in the store! My question for the veteran moms is, did you buy any equipment that turned out to not be useful? Were there any things that turned out to be surprisingly useful?

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 things that we did not make good use of at all. The first was a wipes warmer that a friend had given me. I tried to use it once, but it took forever to warm the wipes, and then they seemed to dry out really fast. I would say save your money on that one!!
Also, the diaper genie was a complete waste, IMO. We just put the dirty diapers in a plastic grocery bag (which we have a ton of and are free) and tie it closed before throwing it in the trash.
I'm sure there are plenty more things, but I can't think of them at the moment!

As for things that I couldn't have lived wthout. Probably, my number one thing would have to be a good baby swing. Sophie loved swinging in that thing. I could put her in there when I needed my hands free to cook or do things around the house. Also, the one we have was lightweight and easy to move into the bathroom so she could swing while I took a shower. I'm pretty sure it was by fisher price. I hope the new baby will also enjoy it!!

On a similar note, has anyone used a Moses basket? I would like to get one for this baby since the bassinet will be upstairs and I will need a place for him to nap downstairs during the day. With Sophie, I was able to use one of those co-sleeper bed things on the couch before she started to roll over, but with her running around I don't think that will work for us this time. I know the Moses baskets can be expensive, so I would appreciate any advice on them!

Dakota Rose
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
When pregnant with DS, I bought:

* A really nice diaper bag. Never used it b/c the formula companies sent me free ones that were smaller and easier to tote around.

* Lap pads. I still don't know what their purpose is. I think we ended up using them for the cat's bed.

* Bottle warmer with car adapter. The thing never worked right and caused me much undue frustration.

* Changing table pad cover. Okay so the vinyl isn't wonderfully comfortable, but it's a lot easier to spray it down with Lysol than it is to bleach stains out of the cloth cover.

* Umbrella stroller. We got a cheap one (isn't that the point) and used it once b/c it was so uncomfortable to push.

Of course those are all just my personal opinions.

The things I couldn't live without were the breast pump, baby bjorn, boppy, and the thin receiving blankets for swaddling. But now they make special swaddlers, so I'll probably buy one.

Lacy
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had trouble finding pants! But it really makes me wonder why they don't sell more 'petite' lengths.

It is very helpful to hear what y'all have found helpful and what was a waste. I'm trying not to get too excited yet by started buying things. My goal is to wait until the 20 week ultrasound. Now I'm focusing on getting our house organized and transitioning the computer room in with the Disney room :blush: so we will have a room for the nursery.

meldan98
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I went to my first appointment yesterday. I got to see the little peanut on the u/s. Everything is great and I got to see a little heartbeat!!! I didn't get to hear it though, but that's okay because we didn't even get to hear the heartbeat with my first until the 20 week u/s. She had a shy heartbeat, which is funny because she has a very shy personality.

So my due date is officially 11/4, but since I'm probably going to have to have a c-section it will most likely be an October baby. (Hopefully, not a halloween baby). We just aren't halloween people.

We told my dd last night that she's going to be a big sister. She's 4 and understands what it means because my friend that watches her just had a baby. We are telling our families this week. She was excited, but didn't really have much of a reaction.

We were thinking about putting a copy of the ultrasound photo in a plastic easter egg and giving them to the grandma's. Do any of you have any creative ideas for sharing the news? Any Disney idea's?

As far as products go,
1. Get a swing!!!
2. Skip the high chair and just get a thing that attaches to a chair. What we did was we went and bought a cheap ikea chair and attached a booster seat thing that had a tray on it to the cheap chair. It was so much easier to clean.
3. Pack n Play - a must have for trips to disneyland and wdw (especially if you drive).
4. I'm going to get a carrier this time. Our 1st was very cholicy and holding her close was the only thing that seemed to help.

Terra
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Melissa,
I LOVE the easter egg filled with the U/S!!!! What a creative idea!!

Here's my skip and must have list!! This is fun!!! Especially to see what is precious to everyone :)

SKIP
1.) [for us since this is #2] double stroller. It was a stroller with the first. I never used a stroller RARELY until basically I became pregnant with #2 and wasn't allowed to carry around 27 lbs all the time! lol
2.) Swing, he hated it! Every baby is different though.
3.) Bassinet. We used it twice and then I just ended up buying a snuggle nest and had baby sleep with us.
4.) "fancy clothes"....give me a bunch of onsies any day!
5.) Excessive amounts of toys. We have one small box of toys and one basket of books and that's plenty. Everyone always wants to give toys...great thought, but man do you become overwhelmed!

MUST HAVE

1.) Wraps/slings/Mei Tai's
2.) Cloth diaper with cover stash
3.) Seventh generation disposables for those first few weeks post C Section
4.) breast pump/storage bags
5.) onsies

meldan98
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I forgot one of my must haves!

A baby bouncer - When my dh went back to work, this was a must have for me. I could put my dd in the bouncer and put in right next to the shower, so I could take a super fast shower. My dh had to be at work at 5:30am, so if I didn't have the bouncer there was no way I could take a shower until he got home, which was usually after 5pm most days.

Terra
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I forgot one of my must haves!

A baby bouncer - When my dh went back to work, this was a must have for me. I could put my dd in the bouncer and put in right next to the shower, so I could take a super fast shower. My dh had to be at work at 5:30am, so if I didn't have the bouncer there was no way I could take a shower until he got home, which was usually after 5pm most days.

I did that too...I also used a solar veil sling so the baby could shower with me as well.

Flower
03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Great Topic!!

WASTE
Diaper Geenie - I got a used one from a friend and hated it!
High Chair - waste of money and space

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
Diaper Pail (Safety 1st is the one we bought) - I love that I can use glad kitchen catchers - it is cheaper and a lot more convenient than cutting the stupid diaper geenie bags,.

The bouncy chair!!! He would fall asleep in it at night, in the afternoon, and play during the day!

The booster seat - it can be pulled off the chair and cleaned easily, it does not take up extra space in the kitchen like a high chair.

The portable/blow up booster seat by safety 1st - I can take it anywhere, it is compact, I usually keep mine in the red wagon so I can strap him in when we go to the park!

The Intellitainer/exercauser

The hospital grade breast pump - I rented one from the drug store. I could not have breast fed without it - Ben ended up on the boob until he was 14 months

Flower
03-22-2008, 12:04 AM
We told my dd last night that she's going to be a big sister. She's 4 and understands what it means because my friend that watches her just had a baby. We are telling our families this week. She was excited, but didn't really have much of a reaction.

We were thinking about putting a copy of the ultrasound photo in a plastic easter egg and giving them to the grandma's. Do any of you have any creative ideas for sharing the news? Any Disney idea's?

Ben was born November 9th and as the end of October drew near I was SO afraid I would have him on Halloween! Thank god he held on a little longer!

We told our family over Easter dinner too! I love your egg idea!!!

When we arrived at my inlaws I handed my MIL a card I had made. The front of the card said 'Introducing our Disney Souvenir' (Ben came home with us from our Disney trip!:blush:)...there were 3 cut out Mickeys along the bottom of the page - the paper behind it was pink and it looked very Easter-like. At the side of the card there was an insert to be pulled out. When you pulled the insert out - the cut out pink Mickeys along the bottom slid out to reveal 3 ultrasound pictures of 'the bump'. (I had my US pics photocopied) so I could cut them out.

When fully pulled out the insert read Surprise!!! The back of it read Happy Easter from Jay, Lea, big brother Brandon and 'The Bump', slated to arrive November 2006.

It was so neat to see everyones reaction as they read the card and looked at the US pics and figured it out. When my mom arrived and I gave her the card she thought it meant we were taking her back to WDW in November! Duh!!!

Dakota Rose
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
The card you gave was a great idea! And I love the egg idea! How cute is that! :)

We told our families on Thanksgiving by putting DS in a t-shirt that said "Big Brother 2008" in black puffy paint. My mom and DH's stepmom figured it out instantly. My dad thought we were going to be on the show "Big Brother". Duh.

May524
03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
So yes my baby is almost 4 weeks old but so far the things he loves are:
His swing-he absolutely loves it and it really soothes him and calms him down.
His boopy
The boppy playmat gym-it's great for tummy time, we do it about 2x a day, he really likes it.
Diaper Genie-I guess I'm not the norm, but I really like it!
Pack n Play with the bassinet top-it's GREAT for the den and ours actually has a changing table top as wel.

Terra
03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
So yes my baby is almost 4 weeks old but so far the things he loves are:
His swing-he absolutely loves it and it really soothes him and calms him down.
His boopy
The boppy playmat gym-it's great for tummy time, we do it about 2x a day, he really likes it.
Diaper Genie-I guess I'm not the norm, but I really like it!
Pack n Play with the bassinet top-it's GREAT for the den and ours actually has a changing table top as wel.

We have the pack n play as well! We used it a lot at the side of our bed until we just brought him into bed with us.
I LOVE the changing table part as well!! Can't wait to use it again with this one!

I'm not fond of the diaper genie myself, but I know many of my friends loved it!!

I found I had to empty it everday! It just didn't seem to hold a lot. Then when I switched to cloth I just gave it away. Now I just use a little trash can with a lid for when we do use disposables!

How is everyone feeling???

I am just getting more and more exhausted! And my back aches to the point of tears sometimes!

Flower
03-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I think I have to out DH to work today.....

Earlier this week Ben was trying to climb out of his crib, we had one more notch to lower the mattress about another 3 inches, so Jay lowered it.

This morning I go into Bens room shortly after hearing him stir. He has climbed up onto the top rail, straddling it, but hugging it for dear life with his arms and legs. It was as if he pulled himself up and freaked out a little bit, as if to say now what?

So, for his safety it looks like his crib will be converting into the toddler bed earlier than I had hoped! My :baby: is all grown up!!!!

Terra
03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Ahhh....Ben's going into the big boy bed! Gosh, it's amazing how fast time flies!

Dakota Rose
03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Ben is a little daredevil! :)

How was everyone's Easter?

I'm feeling okay. My back hurts almost constantly as does my belly. I don't remember being this uncomfortable with DS. In fact, I went to DLR I was feeling so good. Oh well. Such is life.

Dakota Rose
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
And did I mention that I'm really sick of being kicked and punched in the bladder? :secret:

Terra
03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
And did I mention that I'm really sick of being kicked and punched in the bladder? :secret:

I can tell I'm carrying this little guy low and the only place I get kicked is in the bladder too!!!!!!!!!

It wakes me up sometimes!

meldan98
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I hope everyone had a great Easter.

We used the plastic eggs to tell our family and it was a hit. I took video of telling everyone and it was so much fun.

I'm exhausted!! Yesterday morning my parents came over for breakfast and an Easter Egg hunt, then we went to my Grandparent's house and they live on one end of town, for a couple of hours. We only got to tell my Grandparents and my Aunt. My cousins were over two hours late when finally left. Then we had to drive all the way to the other side of town to see my in-laws and have Easter Dinner at 2:00pm. UGH!!!

My dd was almost 2 1/2 before we moved her out of her crib. She never tried to climb out, but we started potty training and she kept getting tangled in the bars. She move constantly and would wake up in the middle of the night because she would get stuck. We move her to a twin bed when we move next week (HOPEFULLY)!!!

diz_girl
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I can tell I'm carrying this little guy low and the only place I get kicked is in the bladder too!!!!!!!!!

It wakes me up sometimes!

I didn't really get kicked in the bladder, just in the colon.

My must haves are:
- bouncy seat
- swing
- exersaucer (Jay was in that by the time he was 3 months).
- diaper pail (not a diaper genie) - all that you need is a stick-on air freshener and you're fine.
- feeding (booster) seat - I've got two, one for home and one for travel. There isn't enough room in my dining room for a high chair.
- breast pump - an electric one, but have a manual one for emergencies.
- pack-n-play - this was Jay's crib in our room for the first three months. We use it for travel.

The only thing that I didn't use much was the white noise machine. I did use it, but not as much as I expected. Maybe I'll move it into my bedroom for me to use. The pack-n-play had its own white noise and lullaby machine, so I used that one.

Dakota Rose
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Well today has not been a very good day.

I had my 2nd ultrasound this morning. That turned out fine. Everything is normal and they confirmed that baby is indeed a girl. Hooray! That's pretty much where the good news ends.

Then I had my 1-hour glucose test. A few hours after that I had my DR's appt. That's when I found out that I failed the 1-hour test and have to do the 3-hour. I'm so upset about this!!!! They want me to carbo load for 3 days then have the test. Seems counterintuitive to me, but oh well. They didn't tell me my sugar level, I think I'm going to call and ask. And, I don't know if it matters, but I finished drinking the glucola at 9:35am and they drew my blood at 10:20am. Anyone think that could give a false negative?

Have any of you had to do the 3-hour test and passed? Failed? Advice?

She also said I'm anemic which doesn't surprise me. And I have a yeast infection. I've never had one in my life and I'm pretty freaked out.

Oh and DD is breach. Of course I don't think this matters too much. I'm only 24 weeks and having a c-section anyway.

All in all it was a sucky day.

IloveJack
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Have any of you had to do the 3-hour test and passed? Failed? Advice?

Well, I've been diabetic since I was 15, so I've dealt with this every day since then. Of course, that means I don't have to worry about the "surprise" of gestational diabetes (a good thing) but it also won't go away afterward like all you "normal people" (a bad thing).

That being said, I know LOTS of women who failed their 1-hr. test, and then passed the 3-hr. test with no problem. I wouldn't stress too much in the next 3 days. Besides it's not good for the baby.

As for the infection, from what I've heard, they are common in pregnancy. And IF your blood sugar is elevated, that makes them even more common. Take it from one who knows.

Hope tomorrow is a better day!

Terra
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I just took my 1 hour as well today but I won't know the results until next Thursday at the OB appointment. They outsource their labwork!

I have a yeast infection as well [very common]...I didn't realize it could effect the test though...bummer...I'll hate it if I have to do the 3 hour!!

Hmmm...you know the lab worker that did mine said that it had to be an exact hour to get the blood drawn. So I'm not sure there though.

I do know that the poor labworker [for LabCorp] was the only person there today and I waited an hour before I was even seen and then of course an hour after that! Fun fun with a 16 month old who was not happy to sit for 2 hours!

Dakota Rose
03-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks ladies! I appreciate the encouragement. :)

I also didn't realize that an infection could interfere, but I did read that in the research I've been doing since posting earlier. Four other things that can affect the test are illness (i've had a respiratory virus for 3 weeks), bed rest or sitting more than usual (i've been sick and not keeping up on my exercise), infection, and caffeine. Usually I don't drink caffeine but yesterday I had a couple diet cokes as I had a bad headache.

Oh and one thing doctors consider in testing is large previous babies. Well, DS was 9 lbs 12 oz. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I think the most frustrating thing is how the nurse treated me. Like I was some sort of loser because I failed this test and like I had no idea how to eat properly.

Oh Terra, I would have been so frustrated to wait that long! And with a toddler! You brave woman! :)

mouseaddict
03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I had the joy of failing my 1 hour and 3 hour with DS. I was coming close to needing insulin with him when I wound up having an emergency c-section (not related to the blood sugar issue)
I had a high glucose on my prelim blood work with Mackenzie so they did the GTT early and I failed miserably. They were so convinced that I had undiagnosed diabetes. They treated me like a diabetic..I had to have a fetal echo and start going twice a week for non-stress tests starting at 32 weeks. That was great on the pocket book! All that and my fasting glucose at my 8 week appt turned out to be 90! They put me through all of that for nothing.
I would not worry about the 3 hour test..I am sure you will do fine. If you don't..there is nothing you can do. It does not mean you are a bad mom or that you are not eating right. I have known people that are health freaks that fail the test..it is a physiologic issue. You have had a baby before..so you know everything that you need to do and I am sure you are doing it. All of the moms in this thread are wonderful moms..we all do everything we can for our babies. Sometimes our bodies just don't cooperate!
Good luck to you and take care of yourself!

meldan98
03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Hang in there Dakota!!!

Everytime I have to have the glucose test I freak out. When I was pg with my dd I did the later 1 hour test and it came back okay. This time, since my dad, grandparents and most of my grandfathers side of the family has diabetes, and I'm 35 now, I had to take the 1 hour at my 8 week and I'll have to take it again.

I'll keep you in my thoughts as you prepare for the 3 hour. Hopefully everything turns out okay.

Dakota Rose
03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the votes of confidence! I'll let you know how it goes.

ljv1975
03-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Try not to stress out too much about failing your 1-hour test! When I was pregnant with DD, I failed the 1 hour and ended up passing the 3 hour. So, I was pretty worried when I went to get my 1 hour done this time. You don't have to fast before the 1 hour test, but I decided to this time, just to play it extra safe. They did draw my blood a few minutes before the hour was up, but I ended up passing - I was very relieved.

I know that having to take th 3 hour test isn't fun and is not something you want to have to do, but chances are that you'll pass it! Just think positively!! Also, don't let the nurse make you feel bad about yourself. The 1 hour is just a screening test. It isn't diagnostic, so there are many things that could contribute to a false positive. Even if you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it isn't because of something that you did wrong. Don't let anyone make you feel like you've caused it in some way, because it's simply not true!

I had an appointment yesterday and there were trace amounts of protein in my urine sample, and I have a slight bit of swelling in my feet and ankles, so now they are watching me for the pre-eclampsia. I'm 32 weeks, so I don't have much time left. I hope nothing comes of this because I do not want to be put on bedrest - especially in the hospital. I don't think I could be away from DD for more than a few days. :(
It seems like there is a cloud of gloom over a couple of us on here - here's hoping things get better ASAP!!

Dakota Rose
03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh Amber! I hope and pray you make it to your delivery without bed rest. I'll be thinking of you and sending pixie dust your way.

Thank you for your encouragment. I'm just trying to be at peace about it and know the big guy upstairs has it under control. That's hard to do for a Type A like me!

:hug:

Kairi_7378
03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Dakota, I'm very sorry to hear about your 1-hour test. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your 3 hour test goes better! I won't tell you not to worry because it seems like everything about prenatal testing is nervewracking!

Amber, I hope that you are feeling better soon. It sounds like being on bedrest would be too stressful for you and your DD too.

Thanks for all of the replies on the baby equipment. There are sooo many products out there that it is a little overwhelming. I am a little skeptical about the diaper geenie but DH thinks that it is a good idea... so we will see.

I have my 18-week ultrasound on Tuesday and I am very excited. I don't think I've felt any kicks yet but the baby was really active at the last US and the PA had a hard time finding the heartbeat last time because he's kind of active so I am not too worried. I guess no kicks are better than kicks in the bladder, right? It's strange, I felt FANTASTIC for the first trimester but now I am getting tired very easily.

ljv1975
03-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks ladies! I'm just taking it day by day and hopefully everything will be ok!

On another note, I have a question for all the parents who have older potty trained kids. What methods of potty training worked for you? DD is now 2 1/2. About 5-6 months ago, she was going on the potty really well, but it would only be when I took her into the bathroom. She wouldn't tell me she had to go, or go on her own. Then all of a sudden, she stopped doing even that! I'll say, "Do you have to go on the potty?" and she says "No thank you." It is cute the way she says it, but I really want to move along with this process!!

We have tried pull-ups and rewards for going on the potty, but the novelty of that stuff wore off quick! I would like to make some progress before the baby is born, even though I know she may regress a bit. The prices on diapers just went up again here and the idea of changing diapers on 2 kids all day doesn't thrill me - especially because DD is definetly capable of going on the potty. She knows when she needs to go because the other night she told me she was about to go in her bath - so I think she is ready, but how should I approach it this time?

Any advice from people who have been there would be great!!!

Dakota Rose
03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I had similar trials with DS and potty-training. So one day, I just put him in regular underpants. Gave him the "big boy" talk, and took him to the potty every hour. He had a few accidents, and I didn't get mad at him, just explained that when he felt he needed to go, we'd go to the potty. Within 3 days he was potty-trained. The poop-training took a little longer and we went through quite a few pairs of underwear. But it didn't take too much longer to get those under control once I figured out his schedule. I didn't switch him out of diapers at night for another 2 months or so.

Oh! The other thing I did was had my DH call us from his cell phone and say he was Bob the Builder (DS was gaga over Bob at the time) and ask him about the potty.

Good luck! I found the key was being consistent and staying calm. Kind of hard to do when you've got poop everywhere! :)

May524
03-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I had an appointment yesterday and there were trace amounts of protein in my urine sample, and I have a slight bit of swelling in my feet and ankles, so now they are watching me for the pre-eclampsia. I'm 32 weeks, so I don't have much time left. I hope nothing comes of this because I do not want to be put on bedrest - especially in the hospital. I don't think I could be away from DD for more than a few days. :(
It seems like there is a cloud of gloom over a couple of us on here - here's hoping things get better ASAP!!
Thats the EXACT week I got pre-eclampsia! Not to worry you but I was put on bed rest for 2 weeks and had to deliver at 37 weeks. If you have any questions, I"ll be happy to answer!

ljv1975
03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Thats the EXACT week I got pre-eclampsia! Not to worry you but I was put on bed rest for 2 weeks and had to deliver at 37 weeks. If you have any questions, I"ll be happy to answer!

Yikes! Was your situation like mine with just trace amount of protein in the urine and slight swelling at first?

It seems like I've been extremely paranoid lately. Last night I had a horrible leg cramp, and now my calf is sore in the same area. Of course, now I'm convinced I've got a blood clot. :rolleyes: I swear, I'm not a hypochondriac or anything!! DH says I need to stop reading and watching TV shows about all that can go wrong and happen to you while you're pregnant. Maybe he's right, but I figure it's best to be informed! I don't remember being so worried about every little thing when I was pregnant with DD!

Dakota - Thanks for the potty training advice! I am going to try the big kid underwear technique and see what happens! :fingers:

Dakota Rose
03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a good week-end!

Please send prayers and pixie dust my way tomorrow morning. I'm having my 3-hour glucose test. I'm not as worried about it as I was the other day, but I would still like to pass! Obviously!

I'll let you know how it turned out as soon as I know.

Good luck Amber with the big girl pants! :) And I agree, I wasn't this worried with my first pregnancy. And my DH says the same as yours. To stop reading all the bad things. It's hard though because knowledge is good! Hang in there!

Kairi_7378
03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for a test that goes as well as it can, Dakota!

ljv1975
03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
:pixie: Good luck today Dakota!! I hope all goes well with your test!

meldan98
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Dakota - Prayers and :pixie: for you today!

I've got a 4 year old and potty training was kind of a long process for us. At a 1 1/2 I took her to the store and let her pick out her potty chair. We took it home and left it out for her to play with and get comfortable around it. Within a few days, we put it in the bathroom and we would try and get her to use it before bath and when we could tell she needed to go. Well, she tried a couple of times, but going poopie freaked her out and we set it aside again until she was ready. When she was two, she showed interest again, so this time, we got an insert that goes on the toilet seat and got her a step stool. She gradually started using it and within a couple of months she was using it most of the time. We did make a mistake and kept her in pull-ups too long. If she wore them she used them. We had a long weekend and we left her out of the pull-ups and by the end of the weekend she was good to go. She was almost 3 at that point. Her daycare had a rule that she had to stay dry in pull-ups for 30 daycare days, before they would let her be pull-up less, but her teacher knew she'd never make it 30 days in a pull-up. We just broke the rule and she stayed dry. We had one major setback once she turned 3. She started in the preschool class and her teacher was terrible. My dd had a tough transition and wasn't real talkative. So she forgot she needed to go and had one accident. They put her back in pull-ups and then of course we were back to the 30 day count again. UGH!!!:mad: We switched daycare and she never wore a pull-up again. Night time was a little difficult for us. I finally made my dd go cold turkey on the pull-ups at night and within a few weeks she was night trained too. She's been day trained since 3/1/07 and night trained since Labor Day '07.

Dakota Rose
03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. :)

I don't know the results yet, maybe no news is good news! I didn't feel sick during the test like I did during the one hour so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I was even able to get some paperwork done. I was absolutely starving when I left having not eaten for 12 hours!

The worst part about it was having the blood draws because my veins are well hidden and very small. So after 2 failed attempts in my elbow, they started drawing blood from my hands! Ouch!!!!! And on the final blood draw, the vein collapsed so my left hand is swollen, bruised and very sore. :shake:

Sometimes I wish I were a man! :secret:

diz_girl
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
It seems like I've been extremely paranoid lately. Last night I had a horrible leg cramp, and now my calf is sore in the same area. Of course, now I'm convinced I've got a blood clot. :rolleyes:

I got leg cramps when I was pregnant too. For me it was not enough calcium. The first place that your body takes it from is your muscles, hence the leg cramps. A few weeks later I started getting heartburn, so I needed to take Tums throughout the rest of my pregnancy. The Tums gave me the calcium that I needed and my leg cramps went away.

Maybe this will work for you, or maybe it's something else. Good luck!

Lacy
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Dakota ~ I'm sorry to hear that they had such a hard time with the blood draw. I can relate to that and am not looking forward to the additional blood draws that come with pregnancy. Hopefully, it will have paid off and you passed!

IloveJack
04-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Dakota - Let us know as soon as you hear something. Funny story about your wishing you could be a man: I had to take DH to the walk-in clinic over the weekend because (TMI) he had a stomach virus to the point he was passing blood. (Keeping my :fingers: that I don't get it). They had to draw his blood, and he freaked. Of course, I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic, stick my finger 5 times a day, and have my blood drawn every three months, at least. I asked what the big deal was, and he said, "I guess I'm just a wussy." The nurse laughed and said, "Never met a man that wasn't around needles!"

As for potty time...
My mother swears by the "let them feel it" rule for potty training. Both she and my babysitter (from way-back-when) put myself and my brother in big kid underwear. Then if we went, we had to deal with the gross feeling. I was fully trained by 14 months. My brother took a little longer, as he's a December baby, and it's harder to train little boys in the colder months, but he was ready to go by 18 months. They used to make "plastic panties" that covered disposable diapers. Mom put those over our underwear, so she didn't have to clean up the mess, but we also weren't dry like with a pull-up (which didn't exist back then, anyhow :blush:).

This will be our first, and I plan to do the same thing. Hopefully it will go as well for us.

Dakota Rose
04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Well my not-so-nice nurse called this afternoon. She again began the conversation with "you failed." Then she told me how she made all the appointments for me and was actually mad when I told her the first two wouldn't work.

I asked what my readings were, as it's certainly my right to know, and she reluctantly gave them to me. I missed the fasting cut-off by 10 points and the 1-hour reading by 2 points. She wasn't going to tell me the next two readings and I had to again ask for those. The 2-hour and 3-hour reading were well under the cut-off. Anyhow I told her the days and times that would work and she said she'd call back. Well she booked the appts for the one time I told her would not work. Then she got testy with me. Needless to say when I hung up I was crying. And really haven't stopped since.

I don't mind the "treatment" which is eating low-carb and exercising more. In fact until I got this respiratory virus, I was eating that way and walking 3 miles a day. I don't even mind pricking my finger or seeing a dietitian.

But I do mind being treated like my above average glucose readings somehow inversely affect my IQ. I don't appreciate being treated like I'm stupid because I failed a blood test after drinking hummingbird food. So I think I'm going to call her later and explain that I don't want to be treated that way.

So that's the news here.

IloveJack
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Dakota. :hug: Let me be the first (at least on here) to tell you IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT! Argh, if I could take all the nurses and doctors out there that treat diabetics like it's their fault, and give them diabetes for just a month.... well, let's just say I'd love for them to walk a mile in my shoes.

Professionals like that are the reason that I let my health deteriorate to the point it is today. I was doing great with my blood sugar (after being diagnosed at 15 years old),that is, until I got to college. My second or third year there, I saw one of the campus clinic doctors. I'd had ice cream with my lunch, and had a sinus infection, both things that will run your sugar up. I went directly to the clinic, so my sugar had no time to drop. When she checked it, she told me I was "f-ing with my body." Of course, this from a woman who probably could scarf down a hot fudge cake and never bat an eye. After that, I quit caring. What right did she have blaming me for a disease that I sure didn't ask for. If that's what doctors were for, then who needed them, right? I was 20 then, and it was 4 years later before I started to control my sugar again. By then, I'd developed retinopathy and slight neuropathy. I started seeing a family physician. And he was the opposite. He didn't act like it was my fault, he just didn't care. It wasn't until this past August that I found a caring, compassionate endocrinologist. When I started trying to get pregnant, he referred me to a perinatologist who works specifically with diabetic mommies. My word! I had no idea such understanding doctors existed! I love going to see my OB. She is understanding, doesn't blame me when my sugar runs high, and never, ever uses words that pull me down.

Anyhow, sorry, didn't mean to get on the :soapbox:. I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one who's ever been made to feel like an idiot because your sugar was high. Nor the only one who's been made to feel like it's your fault that your sugar's high. Most nurses/doctors who harp on blood sugar have never had to worry a day about running their sugar up. They have no idea how hard it is to control, especially when you've never had to worry about it before. But remember, it's not your fault; you didn't tell your pancreas to stop making enough insulin, and there are lots of us out there that understand. Take a deep breath; talk to your OB about the nurse's actions, especially if it continues (the OB is her boss); and if you need any advice, feel free to PM me.

harlowandthemermaid
04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Ugh I hated the glucose tolerance test. I actually got into an argument with the very rude witch at Labcorp who snatched the putrid orange beverage out of my hand because she said I was taking too long to drink it. I had a few sips left and she took it away from me and said I took too long so she wouldn't draw my blood:mad: So I drank it for nothing!!!!! I was so mad I cursed at her, which is not like me at all but I was mad and hormonal.
My dad has type 1 diabetes and I check my sugar at his house regularly so I refused to go back and do it again because I knew I did not have GD and I was not going through that again. I hate it when you get someone on a power trip who wants to make you feel like you are stupid....I'm sorry you went through that with your test. I can't relate to having GD but I can relate to dealing with rude people in the healthcare setting.

Dakota Rose
04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Susan and harlowandthemermaid. I really appreciate the encouragement. Really, really appreciate it.

I really identified with what you said Susan. I once had a doctor tell me I was "severely overweight" because I was 5 pounds over the "recommended weight" for my age and height. So what did I do? Gained 40 pounds. I've since gotten my weight under control, but ya, sometimes doctors/nurses actually put us in a downward spiral towards worse health.

So....since each nurse has her own voicemail, I left her a message this evening telling her that I didn't appreciate being treated that way. That I cared for my diabetic grandfather until he died (he fell asleep basically) at 94 and know the blood testing drill and the diabetic diet schtick. I also said I realize my sugar is a bit high, but that doesn't inversely affect my IQ or my ability to have a healthy pregnancy. But that's how she made me feel. I was nice, civil and calm. I even wished her a good day tomorrow. But I have too much self-respect to let someone bully me around.

Anyway :grouphug: thanks ladies for the vote of confidence!

ljv1975
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Dakota, I'm so sorry to hear about the hard time you had - both with getting your blood drawn and with the nurse being mean. If it were me, I would go straight to her superior and complain about the way that she treated you today. If someone had called me with test results and been that rude, I would definetly bring it to someone's attention so that she can't continue to treat people that way. The fact that you failed your blood test is no reason for her to be so mean. Getting bad news is bad enough without the messenger making it worse with a bad attitude! :mad:
I hope that you are feeling better! It seems like you have a pretty good outlook on the situation - all things considered. Continue to be positive and do what's best for yourself and your baby, and don't worry about negative people!! I hope everything goes well for you! :pixie:

Dakota Rose
04-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Amber! :)

Lacy
04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, that is awful Dakota. Rude people are bad enough when we have to deal with them at work and in our normal lives. But how awful to experience that from a healthcare professional. When they know exactly what you are going through and that you have enough to worry about with being pregnant. I'm impressed that you called and let her know that you didn't appreciate being treated like that as I probably wouldn't have the courage to do that and I'd just let it bother me for longer than is necessary. Pixie dust that things start going better for you :pixie:

I'm not looking forward to this glucose test mostly just because of the blood draw. What month does this testing occur?

Kairi_7378
04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Dakota, I'm so sorry that you had such an ordeal with your 3 hour test! It's really said when you run into someone like this in the health profession. It really gives all of the nice doctors and nurses a bad name! Good for you for letting the nurse know how you felt. I would be really tempted to mail a letter to your doctors' office to complain. Do you have to go see a dietician now?

Dakota Rose
04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks! :)

They test between 24 and 28 weeks. With my DS, the test was a breeze. Even the blood draw went well. So don't worry about it too much! Take a good book and try not to think about the draw. :)

Dakota Rose
04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Laura. :)

My DH thought I should say something to the doctor too, whom I really do like. I told him that I will if her behaviour continues. My guess is she'll just be sheepish when I see her at the end of the month.

Anyhow, yes I have to see a dietician and a diabetic educator and the over-seeing nurse practitioner. I'm hoping they are nicer.

My grandfather had type 2 diabetes controlled with diet so I'm pretty familar with the drill. My mom bought me a glucose monitor last night and I'm going back to the no-sugar, low starch way of eating and exercise we usually follow. I stopped both when I got this respiratory virus 4 weeks ago. Looking back, I should have rescheduled the tests until I felt better...oh well.

Flower
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Dakota - good for you calling and letting her know how she made you feel. That was totally not necessary on her part. I would still tell the doctor too. My DR has one receptionist who has been with him since he started his practice over 20 years ago - she has her good days and her bad days - most of them bad and she too is miserable. :thedolls:

As for potty training - we set a goal with Brandon. He would pee no problem, it was poopin that he just would not do. I told him that when we got back from WDW I was not buying anymore diapers and no more pull ups. By setting that goal, he knew that he would have to go on the toilet. He was almost 3 and it was just gross!

Rewards - M&M's for peeing and a new hot wheels for pooping. I loved the M&M's, I made him tell me what colour they were and I made him count them, so not only was he peeing, but learning too!

Once he felt yucky on his underwear he started to go because he knew he did not have a choice.

Our daycare was awesome - it did not even phase them because they were so used to it. Brandon was trained relatively soon and we had no accidents at all within a few weeks. The thing I loved about daycare was that they have regular sized toilets so Brandon went from a potty at home to the toilet and daycare, soon he wanted nothing to do with the potty at home, which was nice when we would be in public and he had to go!

Ben just turned 17 months and I have it in my head that this summer he is going to be running around naked in the backyard and I will have a potty out there for him. I want him trained before he is 2.

Personally - I think pull-ups are evil, they are just a diaper with a fancier name and are more expensive! Think about it, why wold you run to go potty when you can pee your pants and continue playing with your toys and friends?!

Oh, you can still buy the plastic pants - Brandon's were made by Gerber and I bought them at Walmart - they have been put away for Benjie's turn!

meldan98
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Dakota,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Who knows, maybe once you get back to the low carb diet and the exercising your GD will go away.

As for the blood draw, see if they can use pediatric needles on you or have someone do your draw or IV once you go in to deliver that does pediatric lines. I have the exact same issue. They wouldn't listen to me when they did my IV when I gave birth to my dd. They attempted both arms, my forarms and finally my hands. By the time they were done with me, I looked like Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias.

Dakota Rose
04-03-2008, 06:57 PM
meldan, it's good to hear I'm not the only one with fussy veins! I always ask for pediatric needles just like you suggested. In fact, when my vein collapsed, they were using an infant needle!! My dad -- he's 6'1 and built like a linebackr -- is the same way. It's kind of funny...well until the bruises show up. :)

mouseaddict
04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Dakota..sorry for the evil nurse..there is no excuse for rude behavior. It seems like alot of OB office nurses are that way..maybe they are jealous..lol.
Have you opened that glucose monitor? Your insurance will cover the monitor and testing supplies..just make sure you talk to them. Mine was covered. They tried to charge me a few times but then I called and from that point on just about everything was covered.
You will do just fine and please do not stress about the sugars. I remember sitting on the floor in hysterics when my sugars would trend upward..I was convinced that I was harming the baby (and I am a nurse!!!). In the end it was not the sugars that were the big problem..all that worrying shot my BP sky high and I had to have an emergency c-section! My son was just fine..a little jaundiced but nothing a few hours in the sunlight could not cure!
Take care of yourself..it sounds like you need a pregnancy massage after all of the torture you have been through..start dropping hints to your hubby!

Dakota Rose
04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Yep, I've been using the monitor. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover one red cent of any of the diabetes stuff because it's pregnancy related. But that's a whole other tangent for another day. At least I can write it off on my taxes...

Thanks for the vote of confidence by the way. :) I appreciate it. I was actually reading an abstract stating GDM has very little validity except that pregos get so stressed about the diagnosis and the monitoring that they end up with high blood pressure. I can totally see his point in that.

Dakota Rose
04-05-2008, 02:30 PM
You guys are just not going to believe this. I wouldn't believe it myself if it didn't happen to me!

I went to see the dentist on Friday. Since being sick with RSV and a sinus infection, I've had this sore on my gums. Everyone told me it was just related to being sick and not to worry about it. Well, it got worse so I went to the dentist.

Turns out I don't have a sinus infection. I have a bad, bad gum infection because I broke a tooth. I had no idea I broke it; it didn't hurt. Anyway, they had to take the tooth out because I broke it completely in half and it was dead. The gum infection was so bad that it was draining through my sinuses! Sorry if that's TMI. I could tell you more but I don't want to really make you all sick.

I've only had one cavity my whole life!

So now I'm on an antibiotic and sitting here with ice on my face to keep the swelling under control. I feel like a chipmunk!

Hope the rest of you are having a much better week-end than I am!

meldan98
04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh Dakota!! You poor thing...I guess when it rains it pours.

That could be the reason for the positive on the 3 hour glucose test. My grandfather has been battling cancer and a bladder infections that that pushes his sugars over 400, but once his bladder infections get under control, so does his sugars. I would definately talk to your ob about redoing the test once you are healthy again.

About the tooth, I'm so sorry you are going through that. I went in one time to find out that my tooth was attacking itself from the inside out and they had it not been caught, I too would have had a similar issue. Aren't having babies fun stuff!!!

Hang in there! You'll be in my thoughts.

ljv1975
04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Dakota, I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth! I hope that by now you're feeling better! It seems like you've been having a tough couple of weeks - I hope things are going better for you!

I had a Dr. appointment today. I am getting very agitated by my Dr. Every single visit throughout this entire pregnancy he has had a medical student or someone completing their residency shadowing him. I don't really mind, because I know that students need some hands on experience in order to be good doctors some day, but after today I have had about enough. Usually he lets them measure me and find the heartbeat while he watches, but today the girl came in alone and did all of it without him. Then, she swabbed me for the group b test without him. I was skeptical about this because I am only 34 weeks, and I thought that test was done closer to 36. First she wasn't able to locate the correct swab, but I guess she did and did the test.
So after all of that, my Dr. still hadn't made it to the room yet. She was like, "OK, that's it". I said, "Well, I wanted to ask him a few questions." So he finally came in and asked why I was undressed from the waist down. When the med student told him he said it was too early for the test. (Just as I thought :mad:) Then I asked him about possibly getting a tubal after the birth and he completely shot down the idea saying I was too young and he wasn't a big advocate of the procedure and I should consider an IUD or IUC like Mirena. :mad: I feel like this should be my decision made with my DH and if we feel that our family is complete he shouldn't deny me the procedure regardless of his personal opinions or my age.

Now, I am wondering how much the medical students that shadow him have to do with the actual birth process. Like I said before, I know that they need hands on experience, but I am personally NOT OK with any extra people being in the room during the birth or checking me throughout the labor. I don't know if I should say something or ask if they will be present for the birth, and request that they not be. I feel like it is within my right to ask that only the people absolutely medically needed be present during the birth. I don't want to seem rude or anything, but I am starting to feel like a scientific experiment or a guinea pig or something. The last thing I want is to get upset and mad during the birth of my child because my Dr. is taking a backseat and letting someone else who isn't even technically qualified do everything.
I am to the point where I want to switch Dr.'s, but I am getting so close to delivery and he delivered my DD, so I don't know what to do. :confused:
Sorry for the long rant, but I am at my wits end. How do you guys think I should handle the situation?

meldan98
04-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from Amber. When I had my dd, the 2nd day I was in labor (31 hours..Ugh), they brought in a medical student who they said would help my husband be my coach. I talked with my husband, he agreed we could use the help and signed the form. Things were going great and it was time to push. The dr who delivered my asked the nurse if I had signed the med student release and the nurse said I did for coach and she said, "well, that's good enough" and then proceeded to determine after 20 minutes of pushing that she needed to teach the med student how to use forceps. She the showed the student how to put them in and take them out and then they ripped my baby out of me and caused me severe damage. The nurses kept arguing with the dr. When my ob found out what happened, the dr. got reported and got fired. Now, because of my injuries from the birth, I will more than likely have to have a c-section. Tell your dr. no more medical students, because more than likely you will end up being a guinea pig on the delivery table too.

Terra
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Dakota, I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth! I hope that by now you're feeling better! It seems like you've been having a tough couple of weeks - I hope things are going better for you!

I had a Dr. appointment today. I am getting very agitated by my Dr. Every single visit throughout this entire pregnancy he has had a medical student or someone completing their residency shadowing him. I don't really mind, because I know that students need some hands on experience in order to be good doctors some day, but after today I have had about enough. Usually he lets them measure me and find the heartbeat while he watches, but today the girl came in alone and did all of it without him. Then, she swabbed me for the group b test without him. I was skeptical about this because I am only 34 weeks, and I thought that test was done closer to 36. First she wasn't able to locate the correct swab, but I guess she did and did the test.
So after all of that, my Dr. still hadn't made it to the room yet. She was like, "OK, that's it". I said, "Well, I wanted to ask him a few questions." So he finally came in and asked why I was undressed from the waist down. When the med student told him he said it was too early for the test. (Just as I thought :mad:) Then I asked him about possibly getting a tubal after the birth and he completely shot down the idea saying I was too young and he wasn't a big advocate of the procedure and I should consider an IUD or IUC like Mirena. :mad: I feel like this should be my decision made with my DH and if we feel that our family is complete he shouldn't deny me the procedure regardless of his personal opinions or my age.

Now, I am wondering how much the medical students that shadow him have to do with the actual birth process. Like I said before, I know that they need hands on experience, but I am personally NOT OK with any extra people being in the room during the birth or checking me throughout the labor. I don't know if I should say something or ask if they will be present for the birth, and request that they not be. I feel like it is within my right to ask that only the people absolutely medically needed be present during the birth. I don't want to seem rude or anything, but I am starting to feel like a scientific experiment or a guinea pig or something. The last thing I want is to get upset and mad during the birth of my child because my Dr. is taking a backseat and letting someone else who isn't even technically qualified do everything.
I am to the point where I want to switch Dr.'s, but I am getting so close to delivery and he delivered my DD, so I don't know what to do. :confused:
Sorry for the long rant, but I am at my wits end. How do you guys think I should handle the situation?

First let me say to Dakota!! ((((HUGE HUGS))) What a road it has been for you...you have been in my thoughts and prayers!!!!! But I'm glad that precious baby is doing great!!

Okay....

AMBER!! Oh goodness...would I have been ticked too!! Eekss..

Just to let you know though that you have the right [legally] to request or deny any medical procedure and you also have the right to tell them you want NO med students/interns present during you're labor/delivery...just make sure to let them know ahead of time, put it in the birth plan and keep mentioning it...
They'll be irritated and try to push it off, but it's your birth and you have that RIGHT!!

Trust me...I do a lot of "out of the norm" things [especially for my demographic region] and I get the "what for" all the time, but I just stick to my guns and even get a little mean if I have too [but I also bribe nurses with candy/cookies too:secret:]...

Anyway...You're paying for their services! Make sure you get you what you want!!!!

Medland
04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant with my first! I'm excited and overwhelmed and nervous. I figure I'm about 5 1/2 weeks along and haven't been nauseous yet...but have been having killer headaches and a super stiff neck. I've got a few things working against me in having a healthy pregnancy...I'm obese, hypothyroid, and just before I got pregnant I had one routine screening test that indicated I may be pre-diabetic...but right now I'm just excited that I could get pregnant at all with those health issues! My first OB appointment isn't for another month...so I'm trying to soak up enough information elsewhere in the meantime to be informed and have plenty of questions ready to ask her!

Terra
04-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant with my first! I'm excited and overwhelmed and nervous. I figure I'm about 5 1/2 weeks along and haven't been nauseous yet...but have been having killer headaches and a super stiff neck. I've got a few things working against me in having a healthy pregnancy...I'm obese, hypothyroid, and just before I got pregnant I had one routine screening test that indicated I may be pre-diabetic...but right now I'm just excited that I could get pregnant at all with those health issues! My first OB appointment isn't for another month...so I'm trying to soak up enough information elsewhere in the meantime to be informed and have plenty of questions ready to ask her!

Yay!!!!!!!! That is so awesome...congratulations!!!

Glad you've joined us!!

meldan98
04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Welcome and congraulations.

I really disliked the waiting game between when I found out I was pregnant and my first appointment. Hopefully, your symptoms will be minimal.

Best Wishes

ljv1975
04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks Melissa and Terra for your advice! I have been stewing over this for 2 days now. I am a very non-confrontational person and usually just let things bother me instead of saying anything because I don't want to look rude or anything. If the assistant girl is at my next appointment, I may just casually ask if she attends the birth and take it from there. :confused: In the meantime, I'm going to try and let it go for now and deal with it when the time comes. I still think I should find a new Dr. - a female one, but I'm not sure if it's too late in my pregnancy for such a major change.

Medland - :congrats: on your pregnancy and good luck!!!!! I hope that everything goes well for you and you are one of those lucky ladies you has a happy, healthy pregnancy!! :wishes:

Terra
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks Melissa and Terra for your advice! I have been stewing over this for 2 days now. I am a very non-confrontational person and usually just let things bother me instead of saying anything because I don't want to look rude or anything. If the assistant girl is at my next appointment, I may just casually ask if she attends the birth and take it from there. :confused: In the meantime, I'm going to try and let it go for now and deal with it when the time comes. I still think I should find a new Dr. - a female one, but I'm not sure if it's too late in my pregnancy for such a major change.

Medland - :congrats: on your pregnancy and good luck!!!!! I hope that everything goes well for you and you are one of those lucky ladies you has a happy, healthy pregnancy!! :wishes:

You're welcome! Yeah, sounds like a good plan:thumbsup: Just ask to see! Hmmm....Definitely check into switching doctors...I know it can be difficult sometimes because many won't take a new patient after 20 weeks...but I know there are some that do. Keep us posted!

Kairi_7378
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Dakota, I am really sorry to hear that you are having a rough time with the tooth and the medical student shadows.

Amber, I would double check to see what role this person will have at your baby's birth, if any. It is not too late to switch doctors if you have problems with your current one. Do what is best for you. A few of my coworkers switched very late in their pregnancies because of doctor issues.

Meldan, I am very sorry to hear about what happened with your DD. How awful that they totally excluded you from making choices concerning your baby and delivery! I am glad that the Dr. got fired. So unethical!

Medland, congratulations and welcome to the group. I have learned a lot from these ladies so far. Like today, I had a doctors' appointment, and they talked to me about the glucose test. I was already familiar with this test because of some discussions on this thread so I was able to ask some good questions to my doctor.

Had my 18-week ultrasound last week and that was very exciting! DH hadn't seen the baby since week 9 and he was amazed at how much the baby had grown. He cried! That was the highlight of my week.... the following day 100 people were downsized from my company and I was one of them. After 8.5 years! So I'm looking for a new job... I had to go shopping for a maternity suit even though I am not really into maternity clothes yet. Ugh.

Did all of you find out the gender of the baby? We wnat to be surprised but are having a hard time picking out a nursery theme or baby clothes that are gender neutral.

meldan98
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Kairi_7378

I'm so sorry to hear about your layoff. We had just started trying again in '06 when we found out my husband got laid off. Obviously, we stopped trying. It is so hard, espcially when you've been there that long. My dh had been at his company for almost 8 years and I had worked there too for almost 7 years. You really feel like you are losing your family. Best of luck to you in your job search.

We did find out that we were having a girl with our first. However, the skeptic in me really wanted to keep the nursery generic just in case. We ended up painting the walls Sailor Mickey blue :mickey: and then used a stippling brush to add clouds. We then used some of our Disney art (lithos and cells) as artwork. 5 years ago they really didn't have disney bedding, so I just got ark themed bedding. It did look a little odd, but who cares. Just do what you want to do. This time around, I'm not sure what we are going to do yet. I'm still a few weeks away from the big ultrasound, but I'm pretty sure we will find out again.