PDA

View Full Version : When do people in the know go?

dmosher
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I know everyone has asked this question before and we all know what are the best times according to all of the park data and guide books. I am curious though, even with all that we as Educated and Informed Disney people, do we heed our own advice or do we just go when we feel like going?
So I am throwing down the gauntlet! Knowledge aside, when do you go to WDW?
:pipes:
D

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Call me a gluton for punishment, but I can't help it I love Christmas at Disney....it is true, crowds can be a nightmare...lines are long, ADR hard to come by and prices more expensive, can't help it still love it.

Wrigley
01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
We have ALWAYS gone mid-July; however, this next trip we are going for my DD's birthday which is the beginning of November. I'm still partial to the July time though :)

DisneyGiant
01-01-2008, 05:27 PM
We have to go when the kids our out of school - so its been either Spring break in April, or late summer in August (which seem to be less crowded than earlier summer).

We'd like to do a long weekend sometime during the Christmas season, maybe taking kids out of school on Friday and Monday. Two days to miss shouldn't be that bad!

pogo
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
We love to be at WDW in late April and early May. :cloud9: Good weather and moderate crowds. :thumbsup:

Our anniversary just happens to be April 20th. :D

SBETigg
01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Our best experiences with weather and crowds have been in October or November so far. We've had to do the end of August with kids in high school for the past few years, but I'm eager to try a September trip in the future.

Iluvpooh
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
In 11 trips, I have never been in any months but October & December.

Polynesian Dweller
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
October or November is our typical time but we've also done spring trips. Cooler times but not cold like this week. :mickey:

Hull-onian
01-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I voted but my dates go all over the place. This is my fourth time in April. Been in October a bunch of times and this will be first visit in December ever this year.

disneydeb
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I've been in the months of May, June, July. August, October. November and December. I love the idea of summer vaction in Disney, but now that I'm older, my medication and I don't survive the heat as well. I can see me taking October ->March vacations more and more often.:)

Magic Smiles
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
We love to be at WDW in late April and early May. :cloud9: Good weather and moderate crowds. :thumbsup:

End Apr to Mid May is our favorite time also.
We just got back from our first Dec visit. We would not go at that time again. Even though the decorations were great, I think that I was expecting more after reading all the raving reviews about them. We just didn't have the Christmas spirit without our cold and snowy weather.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
September...every year for the past 11 years.

Threw in a bonus trip for Xmas a few weeks ago.

We are in the process of reevaluating our time now. With Free Dining in September and my son going into Jr High this fall we need to figure out a better time for us.

madi47
01-02-2008, 06:33 AM
I've been there in January, March, August, and December. I have to say January is a great time to go. The crowds are a lot lighter and I love to escape the cold for a little Disney fun. So January it is. :mickey:

playdead88
01-02-2008, 06:46 AM
we are april people - we tried the end of may and it was nice but you can really start to feel the heat - the 3rd week in april through the 2nd week of may is our fav - we love to ring in the spring at disney world! the weather is great and the crowds are moderate - we tweak our dates depending on when easter falls - as long as we are two weeks outside of easter that part of the year is awesome :mickey:

RAIDER
01-02-2008, 07:51 AM
For the past 7 years ive gone on the first week of Dec ..The parks are quiet and you have that lovely christmas atmosphere :thumbsup:

Tygger7
01-02-2008, 08:33 AM
We've gone in March, April, May, June, and July. Hands down, it's Mid-May for us from now on. We're going to try and go between Thanksgiving & Christmas sometime, but will NEVER go anywhere near the 4th of July again. Crowds were terrible, and the weather was extremely hot & humid.

merlinmagic4
01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
We have been in April, August, and November. I LOVE April but we go during a break week and it is pretty busy (and airfares are high). Late August was great for low crowds although it was hot (great airfares, though). November is perfect but we can only go for a few days since school is in. So, a short trip but nice!

Although I consider us "in the know", we can still only travel when school allows (children in school and DH is a teacher). It usually means high airfares and busy parks but it's still better than being at home :mickey:

tinklover
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
We go when ever we get the chance to go. my DBF does not always get to take off when the crowds are low and the weathe ris great so we have to go when he can get the time off. This year it is in June. last year it was in May. Once he transfers down to Florida we will be there every weekend lol.

princessjojo
01-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Because of our boys age, it's harder to pull them out of school for an extended amount of time (anything longer than 1-2 days) so we usually go either spring break or early/mid June. We find that knowing ahead what to expect crowd wise and preparing ourselves for this, along with the longer vacation time (this year 9nites/10 days) we usually have a really good vacation. And with the exception of the general thunderstorm there is no real variation in the weather. It's strictly very warm and kinda sticky. But we know this ahead and aren't surprised.

Figgyluv03
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm a Value bird. Not because I'm saving money or anything, but I love the weather from September to November. It's perfect, and the crowd levels aren't too bad.

biodtl
01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
We go in October, mainly for the weather and slightly smaller crowds compared to peak (and will be going in Oct 08)

But, sadly, the next time around, we will have to start switching up to summers, since DS is getting too old to take out of school and still keep up.

JPooh
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Our family usually goes the last week of August. Our kids are still out of school and they usually offer room discounts during this time. We also been during Christmas time, we took the kid out school for two days for a long weekend (it's not so crowded the 1st 2 weeks of December). We've also been in April. For us whenever the Easter Holiday fall on the end of March (as the case this year) the schools here has their spring recess around the end of April so we kinda miss the holiday crowd. lastly, this year we went for Halloween and just love the weather and light crowds and the room discounts were great.

GrmGrninGost
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
For me, October is the prime month. The weather is great and the MNSSHP is going on! Plus, you may get in on free dining! I love it this time of year! :mickey: I also love Christmas, but every time we go in December, it gets cold! It's still fun, but I'd rather be warm!

mickey&missy
01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I voted value Sept - Nov. We went Oct 2006 and it was great! the weather was beautiful and the crowds were light. But, we are taking our 2nd March trip this year. When we went in March 2005 it was rainy and cold. We're hoping for better weather this time. In March 2005 the crowds were pretty light. I was a affraid our trip this year would be very crowded. But, when I called on 12/27 to switch our hotel there we're a lot of deluxe rooms available. I'm hoping thats a good sign!

amorillo
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
We've done January, March, May, October, & November... This year we'll be trying out the month of February!

But overall... I love late October- early November! They were, hands down, our best trips!

Crow
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
i went w the 2 time periods ive gone the most. Mid to late May & Sept.
reasoning is, less crowds some, mayb value or discounts.

Tink#64
01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
We've visited 3 x in mid May & it's our fav! We went the last week of May & were there for the MD holiday weekend & it was definitely hotter & more crowded. This year, we'll be going the last week of Sept/ 1st week of October, due to DH's vacation availability & DS's will only miss 2 1/2 days of school at that time. Based on what I've read on Intercot, I'm hoping for decent temps & crowds! I hope, I hope, I hope! :yes:
:newyear:

2Epcot
01-03-2008, 02:43 AM
I have been all times of the year, though I try to avoid the middle of the summer. I enjoy both the spring and fall, but have done more trips in October-November.

4ubie1
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I have been in Nov. and early Feb. Both were excellent times to go to WDW. The weather can be iffy but I consider that good. If it is rainy or cold out..less people will want to be out and about in the parks. :D My fam and I went when a tropical storm was coming through..it was the best 'cause no crowds. Sure it was rainy and kindof cold but we just added more layers and a rain poncho. So I recommend Jan - Feb or Oct - Nov. :thumbsup:

Mom2Boys
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
We go in late April or early May. Spring Break is over and school is not out yet for Summer. The weather is great and not a lot of crowds. This year we are going 5/5-5/11. A few years ago we went 4/20-4/26. I have been ages ago in Feb. and it was a bit cold for my taste at DW. We were in Jeans and had to buy jackets and it rained. It could have just been a "cold" front that came through! But I think I will stay with April/May. :)

Paige

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Been in Jan, Feb, March, June, and July.

My absolute favorite is the first of Feb. before the rates change from value to peak.

GrumpyFan
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
We've been several times in both February and September and both are great times to go. The crowds are low, as are the temps and quick lines.

DDuck66
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
There should be another choice.
Anytime that you can get there.
We usually go about once a month or every other month.

dolphinmickey9170
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
We always go in May through August as my school schedule won't allow me to deviate from that. We did just go in December, but it was really crazy!! I can't wait until I complete my degree and then I can go in Sept-Nov.

CandleontheWater
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
How about any weekend I can get free! But I think my favorite is May and October. I love the Flower and Garden Festival and F&W. It also isn't too hot or too cold.

JerseyDad
01-04-2008, 10:36 PM
.....for the past 4 years....the last week October or 1st week of November....A.K.A....JERSEY WEEK!!!! (schools closed because of teacher's convention & election day)

We did the Spring Break / Easter vacation thing ONCE...and the crowds were huge..and the weather hot. We went back that same year in the fall...and the difference was like night & day. Lighter crowds.....weather with high temps in the low 80's during the day...and lows in the high 60's at night.

Here we go again...
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
We've gone in March, April, May, June, and July. Hands down, it's Mid-May for us from now on. We're going to try and go between Thanksgiving & Christmas sometime, but will NEVER go anywhere near the 4th of July again. Crowds were terrible, and the weather was extremely hot & humid.

We went during 4th of July 2007 and we were surprised at how low the crowds were. I was expecting the worst but it was not bad. I guess the free dining pulled people to the end of August and into September. That sure made us happy. :thumbsup:

I love February and November. The weather seems to be perfect when we go. I love that we can celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas in the same week... sometimes Christmas BEFORE Thanksgiving thanks to the early MVMCP.

texasteacher
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Since I am a teacher, I have to go at certain times. I usually go during Spring Break, but one week is just not enough time for me. I visited 12/28 - 1/2 this year. I have never gone at Christmas before. The weather was great (except for 1/2 when a cold front blew in), but the crowds were huge. I had a pretty good strategy for not standing in lines, but it was still a little claustrophobic walking around. I am thinking of trying late August next time, despite the heat.
But for me, any time at Walt Disney World is a great time. You just have to use different strategies for different times of year.

dmosher
01-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I have to admit I didn't think the results would be so varied! Hmm... interesting results of little poll here. So, despite all of our vast and unending knowledge of Disney we still force ourselves to suffer through the insane crowds, the blistering heat (or chilly FL nights of winter) all for the sake of enjoying another trip to WDW, and why do we do it??? Because we all love Disney of course!!

Why else would we stand in line for an hour just to ride Splash Mountain, or sit on a hard concrete curbside for over an hour just to get our favorite spot for the parade even though the concrete is already so warm it makes our butts hurt even more? Because we love Disney. Seems like we can give out all the advice but we can't take our own... funny isn't it.

I know that I should (and usually do) go during September. The lines are shorter, there are less children, it's a bit cheaper, etc. I know all of this and yet the idea of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Christmas Day or New Years eve in the parks sends me into a smiling flutter, loving the idea of doing any and all of those is enough to make me want to jump on a 19 hour plane ride to FL and suffer through the crowds, the $$, etc.

I just find it very interesting that we love a place so much that we are willing to do just that. For me Disney is my second home, and just like home I can hardly wait to see it after any time away, regardless of how much my rent is, how warm the house is, or who's staying over for dinner.
D

dmosher
01-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I did notice that a lot of us are smart enough to actually stay during September... we should plan a get together for this year! Apparently, there will be enough of us there.
D

prprincess
01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I voted for Mid-April through August (Regular Season). We usually go after all of the spring breaks are over, but before some of the schools are out in May. The weather is great and the crowds are pretty good.

DisneyCrazy4444
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
My mom and i for the last three years we have gone in September. :mickey::tigger::goofy::simba::donald::sulley::dal e::chip:
i like the stickers.

DisneyCrazy4444
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
My mom and i for the last three years we have gone in September. :mickey::tigger::goofy::simba::donald::sulley::chi p:
i like the stickers.

LCPZA
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
December is the best time to go (FIRST 2 WEEKS). After that I love January. Hated October and August!!

ktflisa
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I voted Sept - Nov Value: We normally go in October/November for Food and Wine, but have been a few times in January and a few times in early December.

So - while most of our trips are during Food and Wine... I think my FAVORITE is early December! I love the Osborne Lights and the MVMCP and all the Christmas stuff.... :mickey:

We last went in Sept '07, and took advantage of inexpensive room rates and the free dining. And I'll tell ya - they can have the inexpensive room rates and the free dining - you won't see my booty anywhere near FLA in Sept again :blush: All I can say is HOT HOT HOT and HUMID HUMID HUMID. We quickly discovered why it is so cheap.

We do not plan to go in 2008- gonna step back and let it get fresh again. What DH doesn't know is that for Christmas next year we will be getting fresh new annual passes!! whipeee!:party: :yay:

KAJUNKING
01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
we love sept, its still hot but being from louisiana ware used to the heat, and the crowds are very light

javamama
01-06-2008, 01:53 AM
My first trip was in May of '79, and the weather was great can you believe I remember that at 7 years old:secret: We've gone when I was a kid in early June the first week, which was always fine warm weather, lighter crowds(my dad would pull us out of school 2 days early to beat the rush ;) ) When dh, and I were dating we always went in the middle of July, or August crazy hot/humid, with a million people, I'll pass on that in the future. I've gone on Epcot "Drink Around the World" Trips in October that were soggy due to tropical storms, dh and I did a trip in Sept that was impacted by weather, so we left and flew out to the big kids "disney" in the desert:D I'd have to say based on when Spring Break, and Easter are April is a great time to go.

Kitka
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I think going after Easter/Spring breaks, but before Memorial Day is key.

animalkingdomguy
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Halloween in WDW is a really neat time. Also, the hurrricane season is done. The other time my family favors is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

mudpuppysmom
01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Our first family trip was just after DH returned from deployment and maybe I just was not paying attention, but the crowds were low THAT April (12-23).

I've been during all months except Feburary, March and November and for me as far as when I really enjoy going would be December for the holiday excitement!! I love the holidays and Disney really does them up well!!

As for weather......we're from the north so escaping our weather in the winter is great.....December and January are both warmer in Florida than here in PA!!

We're going in a week and I'm hoping for temps in the 70's but I think I'm going to get the 60's ....which I'll take!!

firefan43
01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
i cant imagine going at peak season. The lines during the value season are bad enough. I find that the best time to go is November, but NOT overlapping thanksgiving week at all.

CU Tiger
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
With our 2 DDs in school, we have to work around their calendar and have gone at the end of May for the past 5 years. The crowds are not bad and the weather is great. There is less chance of rain during this time of year and it does not get terribly hot. :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
We have been February, May, June, July, September, October. Our favortie month to go is late September into October. That time of year is my favorite. It's a great way to start the school year for my son. It's something we all look forward to and it's value season! Nothing like being in Disney at fall time and hearing the clip clop of the horse shoes from the Headless Horseman at the MNSSHP! Also riding the HM at that time of year is fun too.

Tez
01-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Depends on who can go at the time and when they have time off. Usually we try and go in value season but we LOVE FOOD AND WINE time at Disney!

Tez
01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Depends on who can go at the time and when they have time off. Usually we try and go in value season but we LOVE FOOD AND WINE time at Disney!

FenwayGirl
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
January is the month for us!
We usually go MLK weekend and week. It is crowded for the weekend,but really small crowds
later in the week. the weather is glorious:joy:

pook@wdw
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
We always go in Oct as that is our DD's fall break from school. Also, it is the time of the Epcot Food & Wine Festival and the MNSSHP. Not to mention the weather is usually better, it's value season, and the crowds are usually smaller. So, it's all good!:thumbsup:

syndrome
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
In the last 3 years we have been to Disney at the following times:
1. first week of December--crowds were very low but the hours of the parks are much shorter; we had a great time and the weather was awesome
2. MLK weekend--crowds were surprisingly high; lots of groups; limited hours as well; weather was cold for orlando-highs barely made it out of the 50s!
3. 3rd week of July--crowds were average to high but the parks were open very late(which we love) we have been enough that we knew what to hit and when to hit it; the kids loved the fact that we could spend some great hours in the pool at the GF many of the afternoons
4. 2nd week of April--another solid time to go; weather was tremendous; hours were not like summer but better than dec/jan hours

kbean
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I love theend of Jan because the parks are emtpy and the weather is cooler.

bruin1344
03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Ive only gone in February & May. Mid-May was the best time when I went.

jszczur5
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I find it's worth keeping the kids out of school for the first week, so that we can avoid the huge crowds. To me, it's just not that much fun to stand in the blazing heat all day, and maybe only ride 6 or 7 attractions. I can stay home and do that at Paramount Canada's Wonderland.
The week after Labour Day is sheer bliss for us.

cal5755
03-09-2008, 11:22 PM
We will always go in September... the crowds are lighter and most importantly it is cheaper. HOWEVER Mom and I will now be making an annual trip every November too just the two of us! We had such a blast at Super Soap Weekend!!

I used to go during spring (April) and the lines were soooooo long. I don't know if it was because I was an impatient teen but I wouldn't take my kids during that time.

NJ Camper
03-09-2008, 11:25 PM
what do people who go multiple times pick for there response this poll could be misleading if you go more than once which date would you pick????? i picked the holiday one nov-dec that is when our bigger trip is :confused:

russk42
03-10-2008, 07:37 AM
i suppose that many "in the know' may scoff, but my favorite is late August. Although it's usually a little crowded, we're all early risers; we can get to the parks before early opening, and be exiting for lunch and swim before 11. After an early dinner we're back again for a few hours of reduced lines. My theory is that most people get heatstroke, etc... leaving the parks less crowded.

As an added bonus: it's always warm in August! Even when it's raining!

alwaysmickey
03-10-2008, 08:45 AM
every three years we get an annual pass and we go 7 or 8 times in that year. the only month we have never been is july.

side note: our next annual pass starts in 89 days & 1 hour:joy:

figgie
03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
:santa:Love Christmas and hate the crowds so my favorite time of year is the first two weeks of December. Since my birthday is the 13th, I always treat myself to a walk down New York at Disney Studios with the snow falling. I find a seat on a bench and just listen to the music and watch the dancing lights, enjoying the whole atmosphere. Yep, that's the time to go!

doodleboy
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM

I have to agree that end of April thru ealrly May are best. Flower and Garden show is always great time. We went late may in 2007 and it felt a little more crowded toward Memorial Day weekend, but still great fun. I will take the kids out of school as long as I can and they work to deserve it. We also love October for Halloween-Boo, but not always good for pool time.

stitch34
03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
We used to go in July or August, but the past few years we go in the middle of May. Weather is good...warm but not too hot or humid. Crowds aren't bad because it's before most schools let out. We've really enjoyed ourselves on each of our May trips.

Scrod
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
We homeschool, so have flexibility to go whenever. The 2 weeks after Thanksgiving are great for crowds and MVMCP, but can be a little chilly. Early October is still warm enough and no crowds. January is a nice break from the Northeast chill. May is usually nice and warm, not many crowds.

I am not really helping, am I?

Have been in every month, July might be the only month I would not go back. Who I am I kidding, if the opportunity presented itself, we would go in July again!

BritCody
03-11-2008, 06:50 AM
We have vacationed in mainly July or August and a couple of times in September. I prefer to stay away from the summer crowds if possible and that is why our next trip will be in October

luvdiznee
03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
For me it depends what I'm in the mood for. I like being able to attend MNSSHP and MVMCP. But I also like the idea of swimming in February. Any other time is just too hot. IMO. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
We usually go in Feb, May, maybe August, Nov or Dec. :mickey:

King Triton
03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
We pretty much work around school schedules, since we don't believe in taking the kids out for more than a day or two -- and we like longer trips.

So, we generally go in the summer, but try to go in the second half of August. The crowds aren't bad since a lot of the southern schools go back earlier in the month. Still hot, but its hot at home too.

Also, I sometimes like to go in March, but before Easter weeks while spring training is in progress, so I can catch a baseball game or two. These trips are usually a lot shorter.

jwallace378
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
We usually go in October. Great rates and still warm enough to use the pools and go to Blizzard Beach.

BandMan
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Because I'm a teacher, we have little choice but to go in the summer (or Christmas break - too crowded :humph: )

We try to go early June or late August. First, it's not quite so crowded,. June weather can be very nice; if we go in August, we'll get to the parks early and take a pool break in the afternoon.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I have always gone in Winter, 3 times at christmas time so it was crowded but spectacularly fun! :)

I once went in the last 2 weeks of November which was by far the time to go. Crowds just right, weather just right, the accomodations are cheaper.

This year is the first time I will go in June, and I am dreading the heat a little bit but am still very excited!:mickey:

mdhiggin
03-11-2008, 02:40 PM
We went last year in September. At the water park, we went back to back on the rides. No waiting. Very few people. No one wants to take their kids out of school, especially right after the school begins. I just speak to my son's middle school teachers ahead of time about vacation. They are very understanding about family time. When school is out, Disney is no fun to us. There are too many people. Our kids don't miss school often, but we do let them miss a few days a year for family time.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
We go in September. We like the cooler temps and we get to celebrate our anniversary. The crowds used to be really small but now due to the free DDP there are a lot more people.

pook@wdw
03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
We always go in Oct as that is our DD's Fall break from school. However, we actually prefer that time for several reasons.
1. Nicer weather (usually)
2. Less crowds
3. Value Season
4. Most Important...during Epcot F & W festival
October @ WDW..."Practically perfect in every way!":D

dteed
03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Every single chance I get.

doodleboy
03-12-2008, 08:41 AM
We went last year in September. At the water park, we went back to back on the rides. No waiting. Very few people. No one wants to take their kids out of school, especially right after the school begins. I just speak to my son's middle school teachers ahead of time about vacation. They are very understanding about family time. When school is out, Disney is no fun to us. There are too many people. Our kids don't miss school often, but we do let them miss a few days a year for family time.

I know this is off topic, but I agree with taking kids out of school for family time. We had this discussion with our neighbors, who refuse to do so even with both their kids being straight A students. We go to WDW every year in May, and love the thin crowds and weather. We will continue to do so when our kids reach school age, as long as grades allow. This time away as a family is important, and I find that going during peak seasons can be more stressful than relaxing for us. Especially during the summer in the Florida heat.

King Triton
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Well, I don't have a problem with taking the kids out of school for a day or two, but much longer than that is tough. You can get away with it in early elementary school years, but as the kids get older, missing a longer block of time is rougher on the kids, even if they get their assignments ahead of time. They also get into more commitments at school as they get older (sports teams, bands, etc.) that really frown upon extended absences. Finally, you will find that as the kids get older, teachers are less willing to work with the kids to catch them up or give advance assignments. Actually, I have no problem with that either. It isn't part of a teachers job to basically tutor kids individually so they can go to Disney World.

Interestingly, our district has had to institute a 5-day per year "vacation policy". Basically, unless there is an emergency, kids are not allowed to be out for more than 5 days on family vacation per school year.