PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Weekends Crowd Level

junedis
01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
We are visiting DisneyWorld in June and would love to go to Disney Studios during a Star Wars Weekend. How busy is the park during that time? Do I need to brace myself for the worst or depend on the FORCE to get me through? Thanks and GO Steelers!!!:mickey:

DisneyGiant
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Its certainly much busier than a weekend day.

I'd say if you're there for just the Star Wars stuff - go for it.

If you want to go on attractions and see some of the shows - the crowd may make it more challenging....... (longer lines).

Have fun planning your trip!!!

SpaceMtn101
01-01-2008, 05:55 PM
probably botu 20 to 25000 ... character lines will be long. Vader this past yr was at least an hour wait. i waited for jedi Mickey and that was an hour wait but that was one i wanted sooooooooooooooooo bad. Star wars weekends are TONS of FUN!!!

TexasPrincessAurora
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
We went this past year and it was what I would consider very crowded. Now keep in mind we typically don't go during summer. In the last 20 years I've been during May, April, January, November, September and December. The crowds were much heavier than what we were used to...and the lines much longer. Add into that the heat and humidity and it's a challenging experience. If you're going with the intent to see and do attractions and rides, the lines are going to be much longer during that period. If you are a die hard Star Wars fan (like I am) it is a neat experience, but now that I've done it I don't know that I need to go again. The lines for characters are long and the line to purchase things in the main merchandise shop is really long. Just be prepared...

poeticeclipse
01-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I think that only the Studios showed a significant increase in attendance. Be prepared for long lines for everything. Restaurants will be more packed. Shops will be crazy. It's manageable though. Just be patient. It's fun to walk around and see all of the characters (both Disney and guests). We saw many parents dressing their INFANTS in Star Wars get up. Imagine, 93 degrees, humid as heck, and a baby Chewwy crying in a stroller.

MOJoe
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
We went to SWW last June. And although the crowds were large, we were able, with a little planning and some luck, to do everything we wanted. If you want photo ops with Star Wars characters, or autograph session passes, then you Must get to the park when it opens. Same goes for buying limited edition merchandise. If you just want to take in the sights, then you have a little more time. And don't forget to make those dining plans!
SWW is a lot of fun, and really made our vacation very special. Just keep your priorities in line and you won't have any problems.

Tygger7
01-02-2008, 10:47 AM
We went to SWW in May 2006, and only noticed heavier crowds in DHS, and only on the weekends. Keep in mind, SWW was in June last year due to the 20th Anniversary Celebration of Star Wars taking place in California in May. A lot of the exhibits were needed there, so they moved SWW to June. I have no idea when it will be in 2008, but it could be (and I'm hoping for it) in May.

My DD is a HUGE Star Wars fan and she had a blast. The character lines (for Star Wars characters) were long and you needed Fast Passes, but the park was still very manageable as far as crowds.

Hopefully WDW will announce the dates for 2008 soon!!! :yoda::chewy:

MNNHFLTX
01-02-2008, 02:10 PM
We went to a Star Wars weekend last June and I didn't find the overall crowds that horrendous--at least comparable to a typical summer weekend at WDW. Not surprisingly, where it was very (very) crowded was at some of the events, like the parade. And the pathways around the Star Tours area were jam-packed most of the time.

Mackflava99
01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I was lucky enough to be there over a 2 weekend span last year -
the first week i went on a Sunday and MGM was pretty crowded, but we were able to see the parade ( a must for star wars fans) and see all the SW characters. It was a ton of fun, yes it was crowded but totally worth it.

The following weekend i got up early and was very close to the front of the line.For early magic hours. This gave a good hour of no waiting for character photos etc- so between the 2 days we saw everything we needed to see and more.

Basically for a die hard SW fan like me, i was in my glory

playdead88
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
we did star wars weekends two years in a row and i have to say the crowds weren't that bad - depending on what you're doing - if you are waiting in line for an autograph of one of the star wars people then yeah the line is crazy long or if you are waiting for the parade then yeah that can be crowded but overall its not that bad - just get there early and plan on dealing with some waits - have fun! :mickey:

Tink#64
01-03-2008, 01:17 AM
We went in May of 2006 & DH & DS's LOVED it! Yes it is more crowded than the average day, but it is so cool! We visited MGM earlier in the week and did all of the attractions & returned on Friday just for the Star Wars characters! It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip! We got some fantastic pix of the parade & the guys all had to get WDW SW t-shirts! We didn't do alot of the events as they were very crowded! We also bought a cool print they were selling of the SW's characters in WDW & we got it framed & it hangs in our family room! It was awesome & we're so glad we finally did this!

We have the coolest pix of some of the Storm Troopers on the rooftop, as if they are guarding it, as you enter the park! :cool:

TexasPrincessAurora
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
That was one thing I was REALLY looking forward to when we went last year...the stormtroopers guarding the entrance, but when we went there weren't any stormtroopers anywhere, except in the meet & greets on the backlot and in the parade.

KylesMom
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
We've been going to Star Wars Weekends now for many years, and as Intercotees have said, it definitely brings in the crowds. In fact, the longest line we've ever stood in at Disney World was the Limited Edition merchandise lines several years ago when it was held in Tatooine Traders. Although we don't plan our 15-day vacation around SWW, it sure is great when they "coincidentally" fall together!

We visited MGM earlier in the week and did all of the attractions & returned on Friday just for the Star Wars characters! I totally agree with this strategy. During the week we go to DHS for the other shows, characters and attractions, and when Friday rolls around, we spend quality weekend time with everything Star Wars. It truly is a cool experience. The pictures we've gotten with DS over the years with the characters - growing from an excited 2-year old toddler with Darth Vader, to a 9-year old boy who can't wipe the smile off his face with same character - is truly precious.

Rumour on the Star Wars website has SWW occurring June 6-29, 2008. Which means we'll miss it this year. :( But we expected that, booking in July.

If you want to get in line for FPs for celebrity signings, be prepared to get to the gates of DHS in the wee hours of the morning. Otherwise, get to the gates 45 minutes to an hour before park opening to not only catch some shade, but to catch the Stormtroopers on the roof up close.

Also, it helps to have a lunch ADR at a place like Sci-Fi to rest and get out of the heat for a spell. With the exception of very few characters, the meet and greets are all outside. I can't tell you how many groups we've seen turned away at TS locations during SWW.

SWW is definitely a must-do experience for anyone who is a Star Wars fan! :mickey:

lightyearfan
01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
ah what a great weekend me and dw purposply plan our trip around Star Wars Weekends, ya it's a little more crowed than usual, but that shouldn't take away from the fun, the park really goes out of it's way to make it known that it's Star Wars, from the moment that you walk in with the star troopers atop the entrance, the music and sound effects that are piped threw the cool shows at the ABC theater are great as well, you and your family will have a blast

Victor

CaptSmee
01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Everybody's given you some great info. I have been to SW weekends 3 times now. If you want autographs get the fastpasses 1st thing in the am, the lines will be long for them. I found that visiting the merchandise shop later in the day or evening is much easier than during the day and almost all items were still available. It is pretty crowded during this time, but not unbearable by any means.

If you are a SW fan you will have a great time! Just plan for it and take some of your fellow intercotees suggestions!