PDA

View Full Version : January Healthy Living Thread

ChipDale
01-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Share your January diet / excercise / lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone!

:hurdle::walk::rope::strong::lift::cheer:

Here we go again...
01-01-2008, 10:20 AM
:newyear: Everyone!
I hope we can all get back on track and get those unwanted pounds off.
I know this will be another gain week for me, but it is okay. I am prepared for it and I will move on. It os too hard to gothrough the Holidays and not enjoy all of the wonderful food.

I can't wait for the gym to reopen tomorrow...

Here we go again...
01-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Kay,
I just read your other post. Not that I am happy you gained 6.5 pounds or any thing, I am just so happy to see that my 7 pound gain was not just me.

Don't worry about your trip. You have complete control over what you order and how much you exercise. I KNOW you will not be ordering cookies and bacon for breakfast.
I can assure you I will not be eating any cassarole any time soon.

Maybe we were both just swolen at weigh in? :blush:

Here's to a healthier, skinnier New Year. :beer:

tinklover
01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
We went yesterday and took a tour of a gym her ein town and we are contimplating joining.
We want to shed some pounds before our next trip(155 days). I a lil pooh-ish in size and i also have a bad back and bad hips and this weight loss should help with that. When we were at Disney in May my back and feet were killing me by the time we got back to the room and i don;t want that for this trip so i am hoping and praying that he agrees to pay the price for the gym and we can get in ASAP to start this new healthy lifestyle.

P.S. I am quitting smoking as well starting tomorrow i need lots of pixie dust and prayers to get thru this. TIA

JanetMegan
01-01-2008, 01:44 PM
P.S. I am quitting smoking as well starting tomorrow i need lots of pixie dust and prayers to get thru this. TIA

Good luck with this, I know it can be so hard. Are you using Chantix or anything?

I'm going to try for about the same resolutions as last year-walk more, eat less, drink less. I'm actually going to get a jump start on the drinking by actually quitting drinking completely for awhile. It just adds so many extra calories.

Jenemmy
01-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks like a thread I need to join!!

My husband and I got a gym membership the week before Christmas. So far, I have gone every day since except Christmas day. I was even there last night....New Year's Eve and I'm on a treadmill!! I am a party animal -- LOL.

I guess I want to lost about 35 to 40 pounds. I'm heading to WDW in a week and a half and my goal will be to not gain while there:secret:

Here we go again...
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
We went yesterday and took a tour of a gym her ein town and we are contimplating joining.
We want to shed some pounds before our next trip(155 days). I a lil pooh-ish in size and i also have a bad back and bad hips and this weight loss should help with that. When we were at Disney in May my back and feet were killing me by the time we got back to the room and i don;t want that for this trip so i am hoping and praying that he agrees to pay the price for the gym and we can get in ASAP to start this new healthy lifestyle.

I wish you luck with your weight loss... but more than anything, I wish you luck with the smoking. I smoked for 15 years and it is unbelievable how much time and money you waste. I could not believe how much time is wasted smoking... I remember thinking how much extra time I had on my hands because I was not going outside anymore. (I did not smoke in my house) But more important, I felt better. I used to get tonsilitis or bronchitis all the time. So, not only did I save money on the cigarettes, I saved money on doctor and pharmacy bills.... and I smelled better. :blush:

Please ask your doctor for some Chantix. Some insurance companies cover it now... if not, it will be about $125. (Yes, I work in a pharmacy) The money you save in the long run will more than pay for that prescription. Most of my customers stop smoking in 2-3 months and are very happy.

One more thing... you are going the right way with this whole thing... calling it a lifestyle change is the only way it is going to happen.

I often wonder if I would have been able to avoid my knee replacement if I had lost the weight FIRST.

Good luck with this, I know it can be so hard. Are you using Chantix or anything?

I'm going to try for about the same resolutions as last year-walk more, eat less, drink less. I'm actually going to get a jump start on the drinking by actually quitting drinking completely for awhile. It just adds so many extra calories.
Good Luck Janet. I have pretty much quit drinking. With Weight Watchers you find out how many points those drinks are and most people do not want to give up the food for the drink points. I only had 1 mixed drink last night and have aquired a taste for diet drinks.

Remember to drink lots of water! That is the hardest thing to do... Any thing with caffeine does not count as a water. but, if you drink decaffeinated tea or coffee you can count that as a water. The water really helps to shed those unwanted pounds.

Looks like a thread I need to join!!

My husband and I got a gym membership the week before Christmas. So far, I have gone every day since except Christmas day. I was even there last night....New Year's Eve and I'm on a treadmill!! I am a party animal -- LOL.

I guess I want to lost about 35 to 40 pounds. I'm heading to WDW in a week and a half and my goal will be to not gain while there:secret:

Good luck with the gym!!
That was the hardest part for me. If you make yourself go - no matter what - for about a month, you will learn to like it and miss it when you do not go. I attend a wellness program at a local physical therapy place and they have been closed a lot for the holidays... It is KILLING me!! I am getting into the pool and the gym tomorrow.

Just remember guys, you will have good weeks and bad weeks. I had a SEVEN pound weight gain last week but it is okay. After today I am back on program and I know I will take it off. The fact that I have lost over 50 pounds has shown me that I do have the will power to do it. And I WILL hit my goal weight.

Please check in with us... good or bad, we are all in this together.

BriarRose0708
01-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Count me in! I don't know my weight or how much I need/want to lose, but I do know that I don't like how I look. I am in my best friend's wedding in September this year. My goal is to be in a smaller size by August, so that when I go for the last fitting for my bridesmaid dress they will have to take it in! I am not doing any specific diet plan, because what I have attempted to do in the past has not worked. It's not so much of what I eat, I stick to a diet of whole grains, vegetables, fruit, lean protien and good fats. But, I tend to over do it and eat too much and move too little. So that's got to change.

I am going to start a weight training routine that I used to do when I danced that worked really well, so for the next few months I am going to concentrate on building up strength and endurance while keeping up some cardio every day. It is annoying, and I hate every minute of it! How do you all motivate yourselves?

I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts as you work toward your goals as well!

Not2Loud
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
So this post isn't about weight loss, but about healthy living.

I have had several kidney stones over the past years, and have always passed them over the course of a few days.

I decided to have a workup done to figure out what was causing them - sadly, they said I drink too much tea. I switched to iced tea to get myself off the cola's for weight loss...and they said the oxalates in tea help spur on kidney stones!

Jenemmy
01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
So this post isn't about weight loss, but about healthy living.

I have had several kidney stones over the past years, and have always passed them over the course of a few days.

I decided to have a workup done to figure out what was causing them - sadly, they said I drink too much tea. I switched to iced tea to get myself off the cola's for weight loss...and they said the oxalates in tea help spur on kidney stones!

Wow -- that's good info to know! I stopped drinking sodas about a year ago, but will treat myself to ice tea whenever I am out for a meal. Plus, our local McD's now has their humongo size Sweet Tea for only a dollar and I have been hitting them up and getting my fix waaaayyyy too often lately!

tinklover
01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
thank you for the support so far on my quitting smoking. as far as chantix i think your suposed to still smoke with it and it blocks nicotine intake so you then just don;t want to smoke anymore. I have bouight the new cinnamon burst nicorette because of the fact that they are putting in to effect another tax increase on cigarettes. I used to buy my 3 cartons for the month ( pack a day ) and that was 90 bucks right there with the new increase and md making it 2.00 per pack in a carton that is 20 bucks per carton there is no way being on a budgeted income i can afford to conitinue to smoke while taking chantix . so it's the gum for me and my councelor is giving me some info for relaxation exercises to help with the anxiety of it all.

Here we go again...
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
thank you for the support so far on my quitting smoking. as far as chantix i think your suposed to still smoke with it and it blocks nicotine intake so you then just don;t want to smoke anymore. I have bouight the new cinnamon burst nicorette because of the fact that they are putting in to effect another tax increase on cigarettes. I used to buy my 3 cartons for the month ( pack a day ) and that was 90 bucks right there with the new increase and md making it 2.00 per pack in a carton that is 20 bucks per carton there is no way being on a budgeted income i can afford to conitinue to smoke while taking chantix . so it's the gum for me and my councelor is giving me some info for relaxation exercises to help with the anxiety of it all.

When you take the Chantix you do not have to continue to smoke. You can still quit cold turkey. They medication blocks the "feel good" receptors to the brain so the craving stops.
We have seen so many people fail with the Nicorette. I hate to say that, but it really does nothing for the cravings. You are still going to want that cigarette...
Since you sound so commited you may do just fine. I quit cold turkey when I got pregnant for my 13 yr old DD. I did not use gum or patches. It is amazing what you can do when you really want it. But, to this day I still think about it... if i have a drink or get too stressed. But I will NEVER give in, I will never smoke again.

Good luck!!!

conorsmom2000
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, I'm popping into this thread as it's time to get back on track. I really took 2007 off from dealing with my weight because I needed to get my head straight and find my focus. Ironically, I lost 6 lbs in the month of December, which I was happy about, but it was really due to stress, so I wasn't happy with how I did it. But, it did give me the motivation I needed to make the lifestyle changes I've been wanting to make. I signed up with WW online for now - at some point I may go back to meetings, but I didn't really like the leader where my sister and I had been going. So, I'll see how I do with the online program and go from there.

And add me to the list of quitting smoking - I had quit a few years back but due to some Major stress in the past year and a half, I've been smoking off and on for a while now. Not like I used to and not all the time, but just 1 cigarette is too much so it's time to be done. Tomorrow I'll be going cold turkey on that and I'm ready to do it - and not use food as a crutch or an excuse.

My goal is to lose 40 lbs and I want to start training to run a 5k this fall. I plan to start out by walking for now, then I'll start the couch to 5k program. By the summer I hope to join a gym. I've got very bad knees (2 dislocations of my left knee as a teenager, major surgery leaving me with a screw in my knee, a 7 inch scar across it as well as "Severe post-traumatic/post-surgical arthritis") But, my Orthopedic doctor says that once I start building up the muscles around my knee, running won't be a problem.

I've been checking into this thread for a while and am just so proud of the progress you guys have made - you have been inspirations!! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Here we go again...
01-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Welcome aboard Jen and good luck!!

I weighed in at Weight Watchers this morning and lost 3.4 pounds.... that puts me back at the exact 50 pound mark!!! I was so happy to see that number again.

Jen, I know what you mean by post-surgical arthritis, in addition to Rheumatoid, I have osteoarthritis and some surgery related arthritis.
I can tell you that taking the weight off has helped and building up my quad muscles and the other muscles around the knee had also been a huge help.

I will never, ever run again. Too much impact and I will probably just hurt myself again.
I will tell you that the eliptical (yes, that evil, evil machine) has done wonders for me. I get a great cardio work out and I am building those muscles.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!!

Bethis26fan
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I need to loose some weight, well a lot of weight but how do you curv hunger pains and really stick with. I am 28 and have no will power at all. I'm not married and don't have any kids so there's not an excuse there. I don't know how to stay motivated. Any Ideas?

Here we go again...
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I need to loose some weight, well a lot of weight but how do you curv hunger pains and really stick with. I am 28 and have no will power at all. I'm not married and don't have any kids so there's not an excuse there. I don't know how to stay motivated. Any Ideas?

I wish I had the magic wand to wave for you.

this is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have been over weight all of my life, tried every diet out there, every pill out there, and failed every time.

Even when I did good, I would lose 10 or 15 pounds and start to feel good. So what would I do? Celebrate by eating and falling back into the same old habits.

Losing weight is HARD. There is no miracle drug that will do it for you. You ave only 2 options if you are going to succeed. Portion control (I eat anything I want- just less) and MOVE.

I had many factors working against me. I am hypo thyroid, have arthritis, had knee replacement... you name it I got it. And yes, I have used everyone of those excuses.

The bottom line is this, I feel horrible. I realized that I can not continue to live my life in this much pain. I promised my doctor that is she gave me a new knee I would lose weight. I am keeping my promise.

Start SLOW. Join Weight Watchers and MAKE yourself go to the meetings. ASK QUESTIONS. Weigh and measure your portions. You will be shocked at how bad you were eating and did not know it. You can still eat the foods you love. If you cut out those foods it becomes a diet... and diets fail. You have to learn to live with something you can take into the real world for the rest of your life.

And MOVE. I hate exercise and I hate the gym. However I am now going every day. I alternate between the pool and the gym. I can now ride the (EVIL) eliptical (my rear still hurts from today) for 25 minutes now. When I started I barely lasted 1 (yes ONE) minute.

I am now at a 50 pound weight loss. I would have bet you a million dollars I could not do it. IF I can, you can.

Try Weight Watchers and you will learn to look for foods that are high in fiber and will hold you over longer. You will also learn to determine what real hunger is. And, when you are satisfied. (imagine that!)
Give it a try.

TheDuckRocks
01-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I will join in hear and also say, "IF I can do it, you can do it, anyone can do it, too!"
As for getting motivated one Thursday as I was watching Dr. Phil (while eating a bag of potato chips with onion dip and guzzling Pepsi) he said, "Don't worry about being motivated. Just start eating in the manner you know you should and when you lose the weight the motivation will come."
The following Saturday morning I had my very large rear at Weight Watchers, as my last excuse of "not being motivated" was gone. One and a half years later I'm at WW goal weight have gone down 70 pounds/6 pant sizes and still have my smaller rear at my WW meeting every Saturday morning (if I'm not at Disney World :D).
This has not been a diet for me but a living healthier life time change for me. If I eat the way I used to I still gain weight and it's not easy making the right choices and I do make poor choices at times. BUT............I am not going to be that fat woman again and that is my motivation.

bleukarma
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, I知 finally back in the gym after a long hiatus. I expected to have put on a lot of weight over the holidays, but when I weighed myself I was only 1 pound over what I was when I weighed myself before the holidays! Even though I have no clue how I did it, I知 thankful for that!! I feel like I don稚 have to spend time un-doing the Christmas damage and I can concentrate on continuing to go down! It痴 good motivation!

Now that the holidays are over I have cut my hours back at my second job and I plan on getting right back into my work-out routine again. My best friend that joined the gym with me a few months ago decided to join another gym so I知 going about it solo. But, I知 fine with that. I think my summer beach vacation is motivation enough for myself. This time around I actually want it enough to put up with the sacrifices. I have a realistic goal of 20 more pounds before my summer vacation. Last year I lost 15 in about the same amount of time, I think I can do 20 this year! And I知 looking forward to it!!!!!

I can now ride the (EVIL) eliptical (my rear still hurts from today) for 25 minutes now. When I started I barely lasted 1 (yes ONE) minute.

25 minutes on the eliptical!!! I'm VERY impressed!!!!!!!!!!!
And doesn't it feel good to say that you can do that?? I ***** while your doing it, but when your done you can look back and smile and say "I just did 25 minutes on the eliptical!"

IloveDisney71
01-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to check back into this post after the holidays. Tomorrow I go for my first Weight Watcher weigh-in since before my Disney vacation and Christmas. Hopefully, their scale matches mine where I am a pound and a half less than my last weigh-in weight.
I'm very happy to report that this was my first Disney trip where I didn't gain weight! I ate all of my favorite foods and ate at all of my favorite restaurants BUT I limited my portions. I thought that would be impossible for me, but it really wasn't that hard. (I think my stomach has shrunk since I started doing W.W. this past fall! HA)
I came back from my trip and had to deal with the death of a close loved one and then boom, Christmas was upon me. Those two things were my "excuse" not to exercise so I've got to remotivate myself to get back into my routine!!! I've got 10 more pounds to lose to reach my personal goal, so that is going to be my motivation.

I want to wish everyone else luck with their goals to: get healthy, lose weight, stop smoking, stop drinking, and exercise more.

Just remember that healthy living is an investment in yourself. Find a "partner" if you can to help keep you on track and motivated. Hearing people at work tell me how "skinny" I'm starting to look helps me say no to that bag of M&M's that keep calling my name! :silly:

And don't forget that you can slip(cheat) once in a while and it's not the end of the world. Good Luck Everyone!

Disneymom4ever
01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow, you all are my inspiration. I need to join this group for sure. I, too, have been struggling with weight since having kids. I'm one of those that used to be stick thin as a kid, teen, and even in my 20's. So I've never had to deal with this. It's just not going away anymore, and I have such bad habits. The scale is going up and up! But reading about the challenges of everyone else as well, I know I can do this. I have a treadmill in the garage (covered in dust), that I'm going to move into the bedroom this weekend. (I can walk and watch tv). That's a start. The hard part for me is eating. I've read so many articles on what to eat, not to eat, and so many contradictions. It's too confusing! I do like the idea of just cutting back, and watching what I eat as well. And most of all, not depriving myself of everything. That's when I get in trouble. Wish me luck, and good luck to everyone as well. This is definitely the hardest challenge I've had. I'll keep in touch, I have about 50 lbs. to lose- but I know, one day at a time! Thanks for all the tips and advice, what a great thread!! :mickey:

conorsmom2000
01-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, today's not a weigh in day for me - that will be Monday. But, I did want to share that my sisters and I signed up to do our first ever 5k (okay, we actually organize a non-profit 5k every year in memory of our Mom, for organ donor awareness - but we never actually get to do it since we are so busy! :blush: ) So, this will be our first as participants, not organizers! :D

It's the EIF Revlon Run/Walk for Women - it takes place in NYC on May 3rd and it goes from Times Square to Central Park. My sister Kate and I hope to run it, while my sister Laurie plans to walk. I just casually mentioned it to them yesterday after I got a flyer in the mail about it and I was very impressed that not only did they say yes right away, all 3 of us are all signed up, with bib numbers and everything! :thumbsup: Having a goal to shoot for really helps me and I'm definitely looking forward to this one. After 2 more weeks of walking, Kate and I will both start our couch to 5k training! Wish us luck! This is a whole new world to me!

bleukarma
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, today's not a weigh in day for me - that will be Monday. But, I did want to share that my sisters and I signed up to do our first ever 5k (okay, we actually organize a non-profit 5k every year in memory of our Mom, for organ donor awareness - but we never actually get to do it since we are so busy! :blush: ) So, this will be our first as participants, not organizers! :D

It's the EIF Revlon Run/Walk for Women - it takes place in NYC on May 3rd and it goes from Times Square to Central Park. My sister Kate and I hope to run it, while my sister Laurie plans to walk. I just casually mentioned it to them yesterday after I got a flyer in the mail about it and I was very impressed that not only did they say yes right away, all 3 of us are all signed up, with bib numbers and everything! :thumbsup: Having a goal to shoot for really helps me and I'm definitely looking forward to this one. After 2 more weeks of walking, Kate and I will both start our couch to 5k training! Wish us luck! This is a whole new world to me!

Good Luck!!!! What a wonderful thing to do!! This is just the first step, one day you'll be doing the WDW marathon! :thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
01-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Good Luck!!!! What a wonderful thing to do!! This is just the first step, one day you'll be doing the WDW marathon! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm excited, but boy, talk about crashing back to reality! I told Conor, who's 7, about it, and he's really worried about me!! :confused: I got the "Can people your age run??" comment.... :eek:..... then he said "you know you might come in last". :funny: I told him that was okay, I would just be proud to finish!

The WDW Marathon! Now that's a goal! :woohoo:

julyjewel
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
My husband and I have just become part of the Million Pound Match up createdby The Biggest Loser. We have set up out little Microsoft Live Page for the other couples who are joining us.

If you have any tips or incentives please share. We are hoping to drop our unwanted weight in time to celebrate our 10th anniversary at WDW in December.

Here we go again...
01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks! I'm excited, but boy, talk about crashing back to reality! I told Conor, who's 7, about it, and he's really worried about me!! :confused: I got the "Can people your age run??" comment.... :eek:..... then he said "you know you might come in last". :funny: I told him that was okay, I would just be proud to finish!

The WDW Marathon! Now that's a goal! :woohoo:

Can people your age run?? :funny: :funny:
Gosh, how old does he think you are?? Doesn't he know moms never get older than 29? ;)
I wish you luck with the marathon... I always wanted to do that but I can not run. I was hoping to walk a half marathon next year but my doctor says that is not a good idea... something about getting a new knee too early and how fast they wear out anyway. I am instructed to do exercises that are no impact.
I do must of my exercise in a pool.

I weighed in at WW this week and I am happy to say that I only gained 2 ounces. Yes, I said happy and gained in the same sentence. I had a bad painful week and ate really bad late at night. I also missed exercise 3 times last week. So, a gain of only 2 ounces was really good.

If I could just sleep at night I would be happy....

Good luck to all of you this week!!

julyjewel
01-15-2008, 09:39 AM
My husband and I have joined the Million Pound Match up. If you have exercise or food strategies, please share. We have decided to pick monthly goals, that we hope to turn into habits. My husband goal is to not add salt to his food and mine is no eating after 8pm. I have also changed my portion size, as I eat off of a salad plate for my dinner.:mickey:

RenDuran
01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, my suggestion died the second I saw that your husband is cutting back on salt!

I recently lost 10 pounds by eating almonds instead of sweets. The best ones that I've found are Blue Diamond brand, sea salted almonds. They are addictive and a few handfuls would make me feel full. Even our daughter loves them!

IloveDisney71
01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
I've been doing weight watchers since October and lost 18.5 pounds by mid-December. I haven't lost anything since then but I was able to maintain thru Christmas. I'd say you're off to a good start by limiting salt and portions. The best tip I can give you is to get moving. I make myself wake up an hour early in the morning so I can get my treadmill routine out of the way. I got out of the habit during Christmas but I started back last week to see if I can get my last 10 pounds off.
You might want to check out the healthy living thread on this site. People give all kinds of suggestions and helpful tips.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Here we go again...
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Has anyone tried the new FittFlops?

Not2Loud
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey all. I also have a blog at live.com for the Biggest Loser Challenge.

I wouldn't have considered myself super large by any means...I am 5'10" and had gotten up to 228 during Christmas. I was not a skinny thing, but not what I considered large. So yesterday I bought a scale at Target so I could keep track. According to their info, I am considered obese.

Not that it changes anything, other than it makes me realize how unhealthy I probably am.

So now, the good news. In the past 10 days, I have lost 6 lbs.

I have been to the gym most days for an hour a day, and changed my eating habits. I have been skipping the cheesburger combos and having salads or subway type sandwiches. We made turkey breast burgers instead of normal ones, had turkey breast hotdogs, etc. It was amazing looking at the nutrition info and comparing. I was trying to make sure in addition to calories, fat, carbs, that I wasn't taking on a load of sodium.

Anyways, I don't have illusions that I will lose 6lbs every week to 10 days, but its a nice start.

Oh the other thing I changed, instead of 20-30 cokes in a week, I had 2 last week.

So thats my update...

Here we go again...
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I went to my weigh in yesterday and I am happy to say that I am back on track.
I lost 2 pounds and that put me back over my 50 pound mark. I have lost 51.8 pounds.

I am leaving for Disney on Tuesday....
Wish me luck. And yes, we are on the Dining Plan...

conorsmom2000
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I am leaving for Disney on Tuesday....
Wish me luck. And yes, we are on the Dining Plan...

Good Luck, Angel!! It will be fine - and you'll have an awesome time!! Congratulations on getting over the 50 lb mark again! :thumbsup:

I'm down 3 lbs since I first posted here - that's a total of 11 pounds since I first started losing. Probably would have been a little better this month, but there was a birthday and all.... :blush: I've really ramped up my exercise in the past two weeks - I've been using some of Leslie Sansone's (Walk away the pounds) tapes - I alternate between the 4 mile super challenge, Walk and Jog and Walk Strong (with weights). Each one of them is great and definitely makes me sweat - I love doing these walking exercises at home - as it's just too cold to walk outside! :blush:

Hope everyone is doing well!