PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experiences with Fireworks

browneyedgirl12
12-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Am I just the unluckiest person with fireworks or has anyoje else had bad experiences with fireworks.

When I was younger my dads friend sat a firework on a 2 x 4 and the firework fell off and hit me in the back. Plus I was wearing a shirt that was open in the back so it hit my skin with no protection.

When I was a little bit older I had one of those sparklers and it burnt my hand so i dropped it. It just so happens that I dropped it into a bag that had 500 bottle rockets in it. Lets just say we had to take cover behind some cars and after it was over we found 3 that had not gone off. It made one heck of a finale.

So I was wondering if Im just jinxed with fireworks or has anyone else had any bad experiences with them. :confused:

Ed
01-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Remind me to stay well clear of you around fireworks! :fworks:

No, you're not alone.

When I was about 10 years old, we were at a beachside 4th of July gathering, and one of the adults gave me a Roman Candle. I held it, pointed out safely over the river at the correct angle, while he lit it.

Poof - - out shot a pretty red fireball.

Poof - - out shot a pretty green fireball.

Poof - - out shot....Nothing !! :confused:

Poof - - The whole thing blew up in my hand.

Evidently, the third ball jammed in the tube, and when the next one went off, the pressure just blew the thing apart.

Fortunately, my injuries were minor, but it sure scared me half to death. And to this day, many years later, I won't go near any Roman Candles.

merlinmagic4
01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
They're illegal in Massachusetts so I don't have much experience with them at all. Sounds like they can be dangerous!

Rodders
01-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about peoples firework experiences. They are dangerous and people are hurt every year here in the UK on Guy Fawkes night. Many people would like to see them restricted to professional use only. I'm not sure but I have to say there is no comparison between Wishes and a box of fireworks from ASDA (Walmart).

BronxTigger
01-01-2008, 10:24 AM
I hate fireworks except for the professional ones.

I grew up in a really dry area and there were a lot of grass fires and some house fires caused by fireworks. One year some firefighters died because they were fighting one of the fires on a hill and their truck tipped over onto them.

EpcotChic23
01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
About 6 years ago we were over my Aunts and Uncles House for a Post 4th of July Party. Fierworks are illegal here in NJ but my cousins boyfriend purchased them somewhere on his way down from MA. They live in a ruarl area so my cousins bf and friend went down the driveway to the street to start setting them off. Meanwhile on top of the driveway sat 4 adults 8 young adults -teenage age and 2 senior citizens. First couple rounds went off without a hitch. Then when they lit one of the last ones when they ran away one of them kicked over the container and pointed it right where we were sitting. It was like a war zone when they went off. They all started shooting at us. My father laid over his 86 year old father b/c he could not run. I rememeber pushing my cousin out of the way so she would not get hit. People screaming and running everywhere. Once it was done and the smoke cleared. My one cousin had a firework explode on his shoulder where he was mildly burned and deaf in one ear for about 48 hrs, a bush was on fire and one burned my fathers ford expedition a little. Too this day even at WDW I still am a little afraid of fireworks.

MNNHFLTX
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I am not a fan of "do-it-yourself" fireworks, partly because of the fire danger they present, and partly because of the experience of one my cousins when we were younger. We were all at my grandparents' farm, with the adults setting off what was considered the more hazardous fireworks. My cousin was lighting firecrackers and throwing them at us girls, when one exploded early in his hand as he held it near his eye. He was rushed to the hospital and ended up suffering severe vision loss in that eye. Every time I see him at family reunions I remember that horrible incident.