PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I did this.....(VENT)

dolphinmickey9170
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I am so mad at myself I could just scream bloody murder.:rant:

I can't believe I did it. I booked our May trip thinking Ben's vacation trick was D5......wrong.............it is D4. :bang:

Let me explain - he works 4 shifts, as a :fireman:, then off 4 shifts. This goes on for six "tricks" with each one lettered and numbered. So he would work 2 days and 2 night shifts for D1, be off for 4 days, then work 2 days/2nights for D2, etc. :mad:

I booked our May vacation around this number. I have the room, the itinerary and all our ADR's reserved. This worked for me as well because finals are the week of D4 so D5 worked out great. Boy am I stupid. I can't believe I could be so careless. I don't know if he will be able to swap with anyone. A lot of his co-workers are pretty fussy about making swaps. I just don't know what to do. :fit:

On one hand, I could talk with my professors (I have two classes this semester) and ask if I could take my finals early or after we return. One final I would have to take in class, the other is an on-line class, so worse case scenario I could take that one on-line in WDW. That would be easy as it is world lit, however, the other is A&P. I have to actually be in the class for that one.

So all this means is I would have to back up our vacation, but then I miss out on park time and meals with friends who are also going to be there the same time as we are/were. I am just so frustrated right now. Where's my Maalox?:ill:

Then, to top it all off, I did the same thing for our August dates. :angry:This isn't necessarily such an issue as I don't have any classes at that time, but it does change my dates back a week. However, we were to meet up with friends for this trip too. We were going for the second and third weeks in Aug, meeting up with Kathy (kakn7274) and her awesome family. I know they are going for a week, but I don't recall which week, so I don't know if this will mess up our plans. We are now going to have to change our dates to Aug 2-13th. It cuts it short a couple of days, but I guess 11 nights is better than none? Right?

So, do you see why I am so mad at myself? I'm sorry this was long, but I needed to vent to someone. Ben just shook his head and laughed at me. I started bawling like a baby with frustration. He tells me just to hold on and he will try to talk with the other firefighter that has D5 vacation and beg him to swap so I wouldn't have to change anything. I am not that optimistic, either. But this could be a real issue. If this other person won't swap, I have to rearrange all our ressies and plans and beg my professors. UGH!

I love to plan, but this would just be more difficult knowing I was replanning becuase of my stupid mistake.

RedheadWriter
12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Hopefully it will all be OK when he talks to his coworkers. It does stink though especially when you've been planning for a while. Let us know what happens!!

SBETigg
12-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Oh man, Kristen, I'm sorry for your frustration! To think you had it all planned so perfectly and then to find out you didn't, argh. Of course you need to vent. I hope it works out for you. :pixie:

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh Kristen, that's terrible to find that out after all that hard work! The good news for your August plans is that it will still work out that we'll have several days together since we are planning on Aug 9 - 17. Hopefully you can work everything out and Ben can trade for that May trip. I know how much you are looking forward to spending time with John and Karen. Best of luck to you and Ben!

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Good grief....I'm so sorry about all the stuff you have to go through! I really hope everything works out! Hugggggggssss.:mickey3:

dolphinmickey9170
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh Kristen, that's terrible to find that out after all that hard work! The good news for your August plans is that it will still work out that we'll have several days together since we are planning on Aug 9 - 17. Hopefully you can work everything out and Ben can trade for that May trip. I know how much you are looking forward to spending time with John and Karen. Best of luck to you and Ben!

Oh Kathy, I am so glad to hear your dates now. I was so worried we weren't going to be able to play together. I know Katy is looking forward to meeting your girls. She even helped me pick out a little something for them. I just need to get a proper mailing envelope to send them to you. Please pray for the pixie dust to come through. Ben had an epiphany while he got frustrated watching the steelers. He thinks the person he can switch with is one of his Lt's, and he is a very nice guy and they get along really well.....so let us hope this works.

Again, I am sooooooooooooo relieved we can spend time together. We will have to start thinking about what and where and all that fun stuff.

Tell Phil and the girls hello for us.

BronxTigger
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
:pixie: that it all works out!

Keep us posted!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I hope you can get it all worked out. I am sure that is frustrating!!

My DH does rotating shifts similar to Ben's with the PD/FD. I usually have it all figured out and put on the calender since it never changes but, there is once and awhile I miscount and plan something wrong. I know it stinks!! Then he throws in Squad with the Ambulance and that messes everything up!! :fit:

It should get really interesting when I go back to work in September.

I hope someone can switch with him. :pixie:

DisneyWhirled
12-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh, Kristen! I am sorry this is happening to you! How frustrating!! I hope that things can work out for you. We are really looking forward to spending time with you, Ben and the family.

Here is some pixie dust for all to work out!:pixie:

tinkerbell04
01-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Kristen, I amsending some pixie dust your way in hopes that it all works out! I can truly sympathize as my husband is a police officer and worked on rotating shifts for several years. It is frustrating! Good luck and hopefully the LT will switch with him :)

dolphinmickey9170
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
**UPDATE**
This is some awesome news!! Ben's :fireman:Lt. has swapped with him and the only thing it is going to cost me is a home-made caramel crumb topped apple pie with french vanilla ice cream.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all you positive thoughts and pixie dust!! Karen and John, we'll see you on the 16th!!:hug::woohoo::yay::clappy:

SBETigg
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for the update. I'm so glad it's working out for you. :cool:

kakn7294
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Great news Kristen! I assume that August doesn't change. Phil and I have been doing some talking - I started a preliminary plan! I'll send you a PM with a few details.

DisneyWhirled
01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Yippee!! Yahoo!!!

Tell Ben's LT that he rocks!!!

BronxTigger
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Hooray! :number1:

princessjojo
01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I am so glad to hear that things worked out for you! I know exactly how that shift stuff can really mess up a good plan.

DH has worked shift work since we started dating. I kid him that if he were to work "bankers hours," we couldn't live together. After dating for 2yrs & married for 13, it's too late to change now...

tinkerbell04
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I am glad that it all worked out for you. At least your payment doesn't seem un-doable :) :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
This is just getting better and better.

Last September I had worked out the dates for the May and August trips and counted them out on a calendar. I had counted May wrong, but somehow I counted August out correctly. Then I lost said calendar. So then I worked it out again. Stupidly in error, I counted wrong again.

Well, after seeing the BCFD offical schedule, I originally had dates for Aug 10-21st. I was correct. So NOW we are back to the August 10th arrival date. I can't believe I have put myself through all this grief. Ben just laughed at me. I wa so mad at myself for almost screwing up everything.

So - Karen and John - we are all set for May 15th.

Kathy and Phil - we are set for Aug 10th.

:scared:I guess I need to stop trying to plan and just stop going to disney world.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?:jaw:

kakn7294
01-05-2008, 01:40 AM
This is just getting better and better.

Last September I had worked out the dates for the May and August trips and counted them out on a calendar. I had counted May wrong, but somehow I counted August out correctly. Then I lost said calendar. So then I worked it out again. Stupidly in error, I counted wrong again.

Well, after seeing the BCFD offical schedule, I originally had dates for Aug 10-21st. I was correct. So NOW we are back to the August 10th arrival date. I can't believe I have put myself through all this grief. Ben just laughed at me. I wa so mad at myself for almost screwing up everything.

So - Karen and John - we are all set for May 15th.

Kathy and Phil - we are set for Aug 10th.

:scared:I guess I need to stop trying to plan and just stop going to disney world.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?:jaw:We'll see you on August 10th. Told ya Ben would just laugh! I can't believe what you said though - NO DISNEY!?!

dolphinmickey9170
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Can you believe I said that? I must have been having a :drama: moment. I don't know what came over me. I sure hope I am healed soon. Help, I think I need a :nurse::doctor::ambal: or maybe just another trip to plan?:plot: