PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas Honey, I bought you a new water heater!

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
We discovered a small leak in our water heater today - not large enough that it's not functional, but big enough that it's getting replaced as it's only going to get worse and probably quickly. Good thing we didn't spend a whole lot on each other for Christmas this year as we now bought a new water heater! Thank goodness my dad knows how to install it - that's tomorrow's project and will save us about $200.

DizneyRox
12-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Glad to hear you know someone who can install one. Hot water heaters are one of those things that people tend to think is the end of the world, and having one installed can make it seem that way. Doing it yourself is a great way to save a significant amount of money. Labor costs can easily double or triple the cost of the unit itself.

Ed
12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
And it's a good thing you're replacing it quickly after discovering the leak. I found out the hard way that it's not a good idea to procrastinate. In our 80+ year old former home, we discovered a tiny leak one day and figured it would be okay until my next day off, when I could replace it.

Wrong! :noway:

That evening, we suddenly heard water running in the basement and found that the entire bottom of the tank in the heater had disintegrated. Fortunately, the rush of water put out the gas burner, and the thermocouple (safety device) cut off the flow of gas. But we spent several hours cleaning up the mess and I was waiting at the door when Home Depot opened the next morning!

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, it's hooked up and hopefully heating water! It took longer than we thought and we had to purchase more parts, but it still saved money over the cost of a professional plumber doing it. Thanks Dad!

daparish
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Kathy,
It always seems like these things happen at the absolute worse time....glad your dad could help.

Altair
12-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Hot water heaters

Hot water does not require heating.;)

dolphinmickey9170
12-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Kathy, it seems when it rains it pours. First your family arguing, then doggie raccoon wrestling and now your water heater? Your threes have come and gone now! Let's hope there are no fours.

Thank goodness for DAD!!:thumbsup:

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Kathy, it seems when it rains it pours. First your family arguing, then doggie raccoon wrestling and now your water heater? Your threes have come and gone now! Let's hope there are no fours.

Thank goodness for DAD!!:thumbsup:Really! I couldn't take another mini-disaster! BTW, the water is hot - it works!

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Uh-oh! I spoke too soon! There's water all over the basement and DH is having a fit! Apparently, the cold water line is leaking - significantly! We had to shut off the main tap and we're waiting for Dad to come fix this mess now.

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, it finally appears that all is well. Keep your fingers crossed and send me some pixie dust! We need it!

Terra
12-31-2007, 03:33 AM
oh my gosh, what an eventful month you've had!!
I hope it's all working properly now!! No more leaks!!!! lol...

BronxTigger
12-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow you really have a had an exciting month! I'll bet you are ready for 2008!

tinkerbell04
01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow! What an adventurous month you have had. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I hope it all continues to work out! :mickey:

murphy1
01-05-2008, 09:24 AM
That happened to us last year, it was really freezing too. I had to call Home Depot and take care of the whole thing myself b/c dh was in China (yes, half a world away) on business. It came to about $900. We ended up getting a bigger tank, too.

princessjojo
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I got one for Christmas, too. But about 2 weeks early. We did have water all over everything. I guess the silver lining is that I also got new carpet, a new bedroom closet, and some new shoes since the our leak wasn't discovered until it was too late.

I'm glad to hear that you found yours early. Hopefully since it's been a few days now, your troubles are over. New year, no new problems, since you had them last year, huh.

MsMin
01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
How did I miss this??? Sending late :pixie: and glad this was last years mess...:fworks: on to the new year! We don't have basements here and mine are in the attic :jaw: Glad you got them fixed and I guess it's really a treat to have a nice warm bath!