PDA

View Full Version : The new "Fiesta Tour" in Mexico

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
So, I don't like the new ride ("Fiesta Tour") in Mexico. I loved the old one with the cultures and natives and songs. Why do they have to animate everything? Siggghhhh......:mad:

JerseyDad
12-30-2007, 12:18 AM
....merchandising!
.........merchandising!!
...............merchadising!!!

...when you exit the ride, there are now classic Disney cartoon character themed items for purchase that, as I recall, were not there prior to the change. As I remember, the items for sale in the "market" area were all crafted type items that would be...or we'd like to think would be.... commonly seen for sale in a Mexican market square.

....it seems to me that cultural authenticity within the various country pavillions...whether real...or a good simulation....may be gone like the wind. :sad:

MNNHFLTX
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
While I can't really gush about the new version of the ride, I do think it's an improvement over the old one (which I had nostalgic affection for). It's cute and the music is catchy.

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow- look like we're split right down the middle! Interesting! :huh:

Polynesian Dweller
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Not terrible but not that good either. I'm glad for a little more Donald in the theme parks, he's a bit under represented. But, the ride doesn't really explain what you are looking at (where is it in the country, what does it represent for the culture, etc.) so it feels like a bit of a half done upgrade.

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
While I can't say I truly love it, that's what I voted for because I did really like it. It's much more entertaining than the old version.

lulu'smom
12-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I think they took what was a relaxing boat ride and made it totally annoying. I wanted to jump out of my boat and strangle the parrots.

dolphinmickey9170
12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
We really like it. It's fun to watch Donald in his usual capers. Donald is Ben's favorite anyway, so it makes it even better.:donald:

ibrowse17
12-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I think they took what was a relaxing boat ride and made it totally annoying. I wanted to jump out of my boat and strangle the parrots.

I agree. I did not know that Donald was Mexican:confused:

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Wow- I honestly can't believe that there are some who actually liked it. I agree that Donald is underrepresented in the parks, but I don't think this was a great place to put him. It's distracting! And I agree about the merchandising thing, too....when I was a kid, I walked out of the Norway pavilion (I was about 10 when they constructed it) wanting to visit Norway and learn everything I could about Norway. Same with Mexico. I LOVE that pavilion....how it feels like nighttime, the marketplace, the fountain, the smoking volcano, the restaurant by the "river of time"....everything is so serene and beautiful....whoever designed that pavilion is an imagineering GENIUS. :thumbsup: The original boat ride reflected that timelessness and tranquility, with a bit of a festive nature. Now, it's random and almost chaotic! The culture of Mexico is now wrapped up in these three squawking characters, and all the kids are going to want to do after the ride is buy a Donald plush or a Jose' doll! Shameful! :mad:

LONESTAR
12-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I liked it, it was funny :donald:. But I would not say I loved it. I never really liked the old version.

kakn7294
12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Like the previous poster said, I never liked the old version. I hated feeling like they were pushing a vacation to Mexico in my face. At least Donald and his pals make it fun now.

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow - again, I'm surprised with some of the responses. Cool!:D

Meghan
12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I wish there had been a choice between "meh" and "LOVE IT!". I went with love it, since I certainly think it's better than meh.

BMan62
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
And it gave them a tie-in to having Donald outside (in the passage to the right of the pyramid) for Meet and Greet.

The Three Caballeros is a classic Disney film and deserves to be tied in somewhere and Mexico just seems to be the most appropriate place. I'm just not sure that I think it was done as tastefully and well as it could have been.

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh.....hahahaha. Sorry for no choice between "Love it", and "Meh". :blush:

Gator
12-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I've never been on the new one, but I'll vote that I love it. You know why? I love Donald.:donald: Anything with him is great. (Philharmagic is great to me because it features the antics of Donald.) Plus, the old Rio ride was TERRIBLE! The music was bad, the guys in the thongs were terrible dancers, and the story of the ride was boring. Hopefully, the upgrade will make it at least comparable to Maelstrom. Now if they could only make the food palatable...:ack:

DrWorm2008
12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Wow. HATED the old one? How? The music was GREAT! :music: Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :marg:

JPL
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I voted Meh since I think some AAs at the end instead of the film of them in concert would have really been a nice finale to the attraction.

Tinkermom
12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I wish there had been a choice between "meh" and "LOVE IT!". I went with love it, since I certainly think it's better than meh.

Same here.;)

DrWorm2008
12-31-2007, 08:28 AM
I miss the "puppets" on the little merry-go-round at the end. I always thought that was cool. :mickey:

prttynpnk
12-31-2007, 09:15 AM

I don't think it does much to endorse the country either.....

DrWorm2008
12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think it does much to endorse the country either.....

YES! Very much agreed!:thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I think it's a major improvement over the old ride :mickey:

LizLovesDiz
12-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I thought this was a very nice ride,but I can't compare to the old one because we never went on it,I just love Donald Duck !!!

KAT1811
12-31-2007, 11:28 PM
That was hard to vote in because I don't hate it or love it. It's cute for what it is. I do think that it is much better than what it was before. Considering most of the countries do not have rides, it's cute.

I like that you can just stay on. DD#3 fell asleep in my arms on it on our last trip and I just kept riding until our table was ready at San Angel's. A great place to get out of the heat and just take a break. Especially if you started the countries in Canada!!!

maizey05
01-01-2008, 07:27 PM
:sombrero:It's been over a year, since I've been to WDW, so I haven't seen the new version. I thought the 3 Caballeros idea was a good one. The old ride was a bit dated and cheesy. However, it did make me want to book a vacation to Mexico, which is where we went this past June.

pogo
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
:shake:

I had to vote... hate it ! They wouldn't let me take my :marg: on the new ride and it was fun drinking a :marg: and seeing Mexico at the same time. :(

Imagineer1981
01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
the new version was like putting a little tape on a crack in the foundation...it will work for now but eventually it will fail. I think that Disney looked at this ride from a financial stand point, its a moderate if not light attaction as far as attendance and probably wasn't worth putting a lot of money into, so they just made the cheapest changes possible like changing the videos..I just it was a poor attempt

Mackflava99
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I have to say i like the new one too. I didnt hate the old one, but felt this was a little more upbeat.
I have worked alot in Mexico and i agree that it really doesnt show you all mexico has to offer- either version
The best parts were the giant city scape, which they kept and the did modify one part that i miss- the part where the hawkers were trying to sell you items in the seperated frames.

Besides that the new version is better.
Sorry if i disappointed you.

KAT1811
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
the new version was like putting a little tape on a crack in the foundation...it will work for now but eventually it will fail. I think that Disney looked at this ride from a financial stand point, its a moderate if not light attaction as far as attendance and probably wasn't worth putting a lot of money into, so they just made the cheapest changes possible like changing the videos..I just it was a poor attempt

I completely agree. I don not dilike the "attraction" but when I heard it was undergoing a rehab I expected some major changes and found none to speak of when we viewed it earlier this year.

Unfortunatly the beautiful parts of Mexico could be very well displayed in this attraction but Disney (it pains me to say) failed miserably in this attraction. It is a nice break, from the heat and walking, and it is (acknowledging the lack of major changes) much cuter and entertaining for the children than it was before. DD#2 will sit still now because she can "follow" Donald throughout the ride.

GrmGrninGost
01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
I love it! :mickey: But, I still miss the old ride.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Have to say I miss the old version. The mist when you enter, and the Mexican marketplace at the end were 2 of my favorites. I do agree it needed an update just not sure it had to be this. We enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, I was just sad to see the lack of enthusiasm on the part of Disney.

DisneyorBust
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Our family enjoyed the new "Fiesta Tour" better than the old attraction.:thumbsup:

Crow
01-02-2008, 11:23 PM
i went w love it..i mean its not the greatest, but the ride did need updating...it was sort of a IASW....but i dont go on that hardly ever

RAIDER
01-04-2008, 03:49 AM
A vast improvement on the old one ... :thumbsup:

texasteacher
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM

I agree. I learned nothing about Mexico on this ride.

DrWorm2008
01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Hahahaha....it totally thrills me that I've had so many responses to this thread! Keep it up - I love reading all the opinions!:thumbsup:

OogieBoogieMan
01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
We loved the old ride, it was a nice relaxing boat ride and as another poster indicated you used to, past tense, be able to bring along a beverage. Now for some reason they are enforcing what I imagine was always the official policy.

In so far as learning about Mexico is concerned, while I like the other ride better, it wasn't exactly Nat Geo material. In fact the middle part struck me more as a Club Med ad from the early 80's and I can't imagine too many Mexicans found the market scene all that endearing. Add that to the fact that much of it is lost on the crowd anyway and you can see why Disney doesn't bother. One of my last rides someone in the boat pointed at the first scene and told their children to look at the Egyptians on the wall. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

As for the new ride, can one hear the phrase "Where's Donald" too often? I suggest one can and that 15 times is about the legal limit and it is clearly exceeded in this new version. And while I will state that the Three Caballeros tune is a bit catchy, I am partial to the old song. I don't recall the title but I can whistle it for anyone who cares to listen.

One final say, my 9 year old has been crazy about this ride forever and we were actually a bit concerned that he wouldn't like the new one at all. At the end of the day he adapted to it very well, and adapting is something his Dad could learn a thing or two about. He also found the "Hasta La Vista" greeting at the end hysterical. Not sure why, but if he is having fun, so am I, so I will give it a "meh" even though I am not really sure what the heck that means.

MushuMulan
01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I didn't think that the new ride was anything amazing, but truthfully, I thought it was much better than the old one. The old one seemed outdated, as well as a bit cheesy.

You also have to take into consideration that this is a pavilion ride, the Mexico pavilion was not designed to support an all-out thrill ride that would entertain the masses such as Mission Space or Test Track.

Needless to say though, I always enjoy both versions just because of the fact,it's located in Disney World. No matter what ride I go on there, it always feels magical.

animalkingdomguy
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm an old fuddy duddy. I don't like change. Even though the new show is good. I miss the old show.

DrWorm2008
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Just so everyone knows, "Meh" means you don't really have an opinion, OR you niether loved it or hated it. :D

SpectroTrumpeteer
01-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Having not seen it yet, I can only say that while I always did enjoy the ride, I thought it did need some updating. Sounds like they could have taken a different approach though. I am sad to hear that they have turned the market area into another "plush" opportunity. The market was one of my favorites. Just tell me they haven't messed with the restaurant! Too many magical memories there:thumbsup:

P.S. Does anyone remember the chips there that were shaped like Mickey heads? They were:number1:

adoptionislove
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I am still wiping up Diet Coke while thinking about the poster that said all they wanted to do was choke those parrots!!!!:thumbsup:

DNS
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I went with I love it, but there are parts of it I like more than the old and parts of the old I like better, so I would have to say that I like it about the same. Right now though this one is fresh, so it kind of seems like more fun than the older one.

broadway_chick72
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I've read a lot of your opinions, my question is: is it still like It's a Small World mexican style? (Maybe it was just my family that thought that)
I haven't gotten to ride it yet, so I can't say much. However, the old version was quite dated. It was pretty and I enjoyed the ride.

I think Disney updated it because some kids might not want to ride it. Kids know who Donald Duck is.

I am looking forward to riding it.

DrWorm2008
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I've read a lot of your opinions, my question is: is it still like It's a Small World mexican style? (Maybe it was just my family that thought that)
I haven't gotten to ride it yet, so I can't say much. However, the old version was quite dated. It was pretty and I enjoyed the ride.

I think Disney updated it because some kids might not want to ride it. Kids know who Donald Duck is.

I am looking forward to riding it.

Yes the "small world" scene is still there, with a few ah, additions.:mickey:I glad they kept it in. I LOVE the skeleton band!:thumbsup:

thrillme
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
There's a ride in Mexico???

Never knew that before...Surprise surprise surprise.

Being from Texas we're up to our neck in Mexican culture...I've never stepped one toenail into that part because I figured there was NOTHING that I haven't seen a million times before at the riverwalk or the farmers market...I don't like going on vacation seeing stuff that I see at home.

But I love to look at all the other shops in the various countries.

DisneyDog
01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Are the fireworks still on the ceiling? That was my favorite part. I have fond memories of my DS, as a baby, looking up at the ceiling, fascinated by the fireworks.

Altair
01-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I miss the "puppets" on the little merry-go-round at the end. I always thought that was cool. :mickey:

I always considered those to be the leaders of the Evil Dolls. :thedolls:

dumbo ears
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I like the new ride but thats because I never saw the first one. I dont love it but its one thing ill do every once in a while when im there.

DrWorm2008
01-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Being from Texas we're up to our neck in Mexican culture...I've never stepped one toenail into that part because I figured there was NOTHING that I haven't seen a million times before at the riverwalk or the farmers market...I don't like going on vacation seeing stuff that I see at home.

But I love to look at all the other shops in the various countries.

Hahahahaha. I find it a bit amusing that you are a major contributor to Intercot, and you didn't know there was a ride in Mexico! :blush:Depite all the complaints I have, it is still a cute boat ride, and quite relaxing....if you can get over all the chaotic animation. :confused:

DrWorm2008
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Are the fireworks still on the ceiling? That was my favorite part. I have fond memories of my DS, as a baby, looking up at the ceiling, fascinated by the fireworks.
From what I remember, when I saw it last time, the fireworks were still there.....I agree with you- that was one of my favorite parts. :thumbsup: I too remember being a kid and loving that scene! :cloud9: However, the took away the guy summoning the meteors, and the film snippet of the beach people running into the ocean next to some ruins....I liked that one because I have been there to that exact same spot, and I always thought it was cool to see it.:(

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Man! Whew! I hadn't thought of the fireworks! I'm SO glad they're still there!

DrWorm2008
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Man! Whew! I hadn't thought of the fireworks! I'm SO glad they're still there!

Me, too! I would have totally written it off!:mickey:

devoted93
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Courtesy of Youtube:

The FANTASTIC old ride (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK1EdJ955VY)
The BAD new ride (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NrQDKY9LVmQ)

:D

(just kidding, make your own judgements!)

broadway_chick72
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Me, too! I would have totally written it off!:mickey:

I know it! It would have been a waste of time! I could remember that part clearly in my mind for years. Still can.

BouncingTigger
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I just rode the Mexico ride for the first time when we visited last week. Since I never saw the old ride, I can't compare it to that, but I will say that this ride did very little to be really about Mexico - it mostly focused on singing animated birds.

However, there were the fireworks at the end. That was cool.

DrWorm2008
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Courtesy of Youtube:

The FANTASTIC old ride (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK1EdJ955VY)
The BAD new ride (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NrQDKY9LVmQ)

:D

(just kidding, make your own judgements!)

Thanks! The one of the OLD ride was awesome!:thumbsup: I didn't bother watching the new one. :ack:

DrWorm2008
01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I just rode the Mexico ride for the first time when we visited last week. Since I never saw the old ride, I can't compare it to that, but I will say that this ride did very little to be really about Mexico - it mostly focused on singing animated birds.

However, there were the fireworks at the end. That was cool.

Yeah....the old one didn't have the singing birds (and a duck). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Donald, but NOT in a ride that's supposed to be exploring Mexican culture. I'd be interested to see what people of Mexican heritage think about the ride....:confused: The fireworks were always there, and I'm VERY glad they left them.:thumbsup:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-16-2008, 11:14 AM
While I like the old one better the new one is OK. I did feel like the old version was more culturally driven and the new one was more merchandising driven it still was fun. My children who are young enjoyed it and even asked to ride again which did not happen with the older version. I assume that was there intention to appeal to kids on that side of the park.

Marker
01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Well, I voted "Love It", though that's probably a bit too strong of an opinion of this ride. However, it was the only positive option offered.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with the "new" one. I liked the old one well enough, and I like the new one too. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I really have no issue with them changing things once in a while. If they never change anything, then it all just becomes "HoHum", "Seen It Before", "Been There Done That".

Fond memories are great, but new (or at least revised) experiences are great too.

And honestly, I suspect when I bring my grandson down for his first trip he'll enjoy the new one just the same fondness that we recall from our first experience with the old one. In fact, I'm thinking he'll probably actually enjoy this version more than he would have the previous version.

thrillme
01-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Hahahahaha. I find it a bit amusing that you are a major contributor to Intercot, and you didn't know there was a ride in Mexico! :blush:

I TOTALLY agree. There's a LOT that I have learned on Intercot. I have a WHOLE new Disney to check out.:D

DrWorm2008
01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I voted "Love It", though that's probably a bit too strong of an opinion of this ride. However, it was the only positive option offered.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with the "new" one. I liked the old one well enough, and I like the new one too. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I really have no issue with them changing things once in a while. If they never change anything, then it all just becomes "HoHum", "Seen It Before", "Been There Done That".

Fond memories are great, but new (or at least revised) experiences are great too.

And honestly, I suspect when I bring my grandson down for his first trip he'll enjoy the new one just the same fondness that we recall from our first experience with the old one. In fact, I'm thinking he'll probably actually enjoy this version more than he would have the previous version.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with that statement, especially when it comes to the disasters that are Imagination and the fact that Horizons is gone:sadwave:....makes me very wary of "updating".:paranoid:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-19-2008, 06:27 AM
I really love this ride. It is much more brighter, happier and more colorful than the very outdated 80's version..