PDA

View Full Version : Last week in January?

beautifultomorrowgal
12-29-2007, 07:04 PM
We leave Sunday Jan 27th for a week. What are the crowds like at this time? Do you know of any special events going on? Thanks.

tinksmom02
12-29-2007, 08:02 PM
We were there this past January into February, and the crowds were almost non-existent, for us. We walked onto almost everything--longest waits were at Peter Pan's Flight and the Princess room at toontown, in MK. We arrived early for all our ADR's and were seated almost instantly.

I don't know if there are any special events scheduled for that time in 2008, but we were not affect by any in 2007.

The weather can be tricky, though...keep an eye on the weather reports and pack a little of everything!

Enjoy it!

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Late January is a GREAT time to go to WDW.
The crowds are all gone, although the weather may be a bit crisp. As a Floridian, I can tell you the weather definitely is a bit unpredictable. Another good time to go is right around mid-November.

LONESTAR
12-29-2007, 09:42 PM
We were there this past January into February, and the crowds were almost non-existent, for us. We walked onto almost everything--longest waits were at Peter Pan's Flight and the Princess room at toontown, in MK. We arrived early for all our ADR's and were seated almost instantly.

I don't know if there are any special events scheduled for that time in 2008, but we were not affect by any in 2007.

The weather can be tricky, though...keep an eye on the weather reports and pack a little of everything!

Enjoy it!

:ditto:

Darbylew
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
:DThe crowds will be light but watch the weather.
We live in Florida and the weather can change
quickly. Be sure and take warm clothes as it
can be quite cold at times. We have been in
January when we had coats, gloves and hats
on.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
APRIL..........:mickey::D

Here we go again...
12-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Two events to be aware of:

National Dance Competition held at Wide World of Sports.
This will effect the crowds at the resort more than the parks.

Mardi Gras 2008 is February 6th this year. (Very early season) Schools around here are our for 3 days and many people from Louisiana (myself included) will be there for a week.

Look for heavier crowds in the parks, but nothing to worry about. The lines will mbe a little longer, but you will be fine.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Don't forget, there will be the Pirate and Princess Parties to attend! A definate must do IMHO.

We usually make a family trip around this time for MLK Day and it's not too bad.

Gator
12-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I might be wrong, but it seems that they shut down Fantasmic the last week of January. That would keep me from going - Fantasmic is a must. Other than that, it should be great. If you stay through Super Bowl sunday, hit DS. It was empty for us when we went.

disneyjoe
12-30-2007, 10:59 PM
:DThe crowds will be light but watch the weather.
We live in Florida and the weather can change
quickly. Be sure and take warm clothes as it
can be quite cold at times. We have been in
January when we had coats, gloves and hats
on.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
APRIL..........:mickey::D

I found this comment funny :

We were in Disney in Jan 2004 and they Florida had hit a cold spell. Us being from NS, Canada thought the weather was great. When we got to the parks the staff and many others were dressed in hats and mittens while the wife and I were dressed in shorts and tshirts and were very comfortable.
The same day we met a couple on the bus that made a comment about us not being cold and said "We must be Canadian".

I guess its all in what climate you are used to.

mjesq
12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
As I posted on another thread - we will be there around the same time as you - in the same resort!

I researched the heck out of the week and it is one of the only times that I can't find ANY MAJOR events! Everything seems to fall on either side of our trip (1/30-2/6) - cheerleading, peewee football, the marathon...

As for the weather - we're knee deep inthe white stuff right now :snowball:so a little rain or 60 deg weather and we'll probably be in the pool:swim:

We will be there for Superbowl Sunday too (DH is not sure whether he's hoping the Packers will make the sb or not...) PP - what is "ds"??

dteed
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
As for the weather - we're knee deep inthe white stuff right now so a little rain or 60 deg weather and we'll probably be in the pool

I have seen people in the pool at night when the weather is that cool. We were coming back to the resort in jeans and jackets shivering and looking for hot chocolate and the northeners in the pool and loving it. We will be there Feb 2-6th. We are leaving late our son is marching in a Mardi Gras parade the night we leave for Disney so I will be arriving later than I would like.

kaylamag
12-31-2007, 03:19 PM
We will be there Jan 26-Feb 5th. I am very nervous about the weather. I'll be packing warmer clothes along with shorts and t-shirts. I'm hoping we get a warm day for a water park too. As for events, we are doing the Pirate and Princess Party on the 29th.
Only 26 more days!!!!!

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I went last year during that exact week - last few days of Jan and first couple days of Feb - and the crowds were great. During the week, we only really needed Fastpasses for Peter Pan and Soarin'. Everything else was either walk-on or a short wait. The weekends were more crowded and the dancers showed up on Friday for their competition over the weekend. You'll have the dancers there too, but the ones that I saw in the parks were well-behaved.

As for ADRs, we did have some wait for our dinner reservations at Crystal Palace (Sunday), 'Ohana (Monday) and LeCellier (Tuesday), up to 1/2 hour. We were seated quickly at Alfredo's (Wednesday) and Narcoossee's (Thursday).

The weather is more unpredictable that time of year and you need to pack for anything. It was cold when we arrived with an overnight frost warning, and the weather gradually got warmer as the week went on. By Friday there were the devastating tornadoes that cut a path across the state about 20 miles to the north of WDW. Of course the pool was less used during the beginning of the week and got more populated as the week went on. We stayed at the Poly and early in the week the quiet pool was so quiet that the ducks were sleeping at the pool's edge. We liked going to WDW in the cooler weather and don't plan to go during the warmer months if we can help it. Plus, it was nice walking around EPCOT with either a hot chocolate or cappucino.

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I went last year during that exact week - last few days of Jan and first couple days of Feb - and the crowds were great. During the week, we only really needed Fastpasses for Peter Pan and Soarin'. Everything else was either walk-on or a short wait. The weekends were more crowded and the dancers showed up on Friday for their competition over the weekend. You'll have the dancers there too, but the ones that I saw in the parks were well-behaved.

As for ADRs, we did have some wait for our dinner reservations at Crystal Palace (Sunday), 'Ohana (Monday) and LeCellier (Tuesday), up to 1/2 hour. We were seated quickly at Alfredo's (Wednesday) and Narcoossee's (Thursday).

The weather is more unpredictable that time of year and you need to pack for anything. It was cold when we arrived with an overnight frost warning, and the weather gradually got warmer as the week went on. By Friday there were the devastating tornadoes that cut a path across the state about 20 miles to the north of WDW. We liked going to WDW in the cooler weather and don't plan to go during the warmer months if we can help it. Plus, it was nice walking around EPCOT with either a hot chocolate or cappucino.

gmgdisneymom
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Best time of the year to go

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Somehow I posted twice - Sorry.

BMan62
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
We will be there for Superbowl Sunday too (DH is not sure whether he's hoping the Packers will make the sb or not...) PP - what is "ds"??

In this case the DS stands for Disney Studios, which should actually be DHS for Disney's Hollywood Studios - the new name for Disney-MGM Studios as of sometime early this month (January.)

LauraSAnne
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm going about the same time (Jan 25-Feb 2) and I've been debating what clothes to take. I find myself leaning heavily on the idea that I'll be needing mostly jeans and long sleeve tees. I've also toyed around with the idea of taking 2 shorts, 2 capris, and 2 jeans, and then shirts that I can layer and be worn on either warm or cool days. I'm just afraid I'll have too much of one type of clothing [warm or cold] and not enough of another.

This is my first time going this time of year (since I lived there) and I'm excited to see how much slower it will be compared to when we usually go at much busier times. 23 more days for me! :cloud9:

DVCWDWMEMBER
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
We love going in January whenever we can. No crowds and the weather can at times be warm. Hey the way I look at it anything is warmer than Illinois in January. Enjoy :mickey::mickey:

cperry92380
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
We'll be down during the same time too (Jan 27-Feb 3).
I figure a mix of all sorts of clothes, and if you need to, you can always hit the laundry in the event you need to wear something again.
No biggie...really doubt the laundromat will be busy during this time of year...!!!

MickeyChick
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
We'll be there from Jan 25- Feb 2.

My friend who live in Orlando tell me that while it is 34 degrees there now, it is usually a high of 75 and a low of 58 at the end of January. I'm leaning toward jeans and long sleeved tee shirts though I'm really hoping to use the pool. I figure I wear jeans pretty much year round at home, so I should be comfy in them in Florida.

Knighten1
01-04-2008, 11:42 PM
My wife and I will be heading to WDW the first time(for both of us) on Jan 26-31.
We will be staying at the Pop Century with Park Hopper and the Deluxe Dining Plan.
We are very excited and can't wait arrive.
We have just read this thread and become even that much more excited about the possibility of low crowds but could someone fill me in on what kind of number is low?
Thanks in advance.

Disney Lynn
01-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Welcome to Intercot (I noticed this was your first post LOL). DH & I will be there the same dates. It's hard to give you a number re crowds, but when someone says low crowds, it means to me that we won't have long lines for any but the most popular rides (and they'll have Fastpass). Plus, we shouldn't have too much trouble making dinner ressies at the last minute (or at least the day before). However, the parks will close earlier than in the peak times (EPCOT will be open until 9 PM, though.)

Have you had a chance to explore around this site (the other areas besides the message boards)? Make sure you read about Fastpasses and Extra Magic Hours plus look at the parks' times and events schedules to get an idea of where to begin your visit.

As for weather- as others have said, anything goes! Plan on the layered look- cool AM's, warm afternoons and cool PM's. Even though it's January, don't forget the sunblock!

disneydoug
01-06-2008, 08:39 AM
We were at the Poly the week before Christmas and staying at BC Jan. 25-30.
We had 85 degrees the day we arrived and 2 days later it was 38 degrees with 40 m.p.h. gusts of wind in the morning. Layered clothing choices are a must.
I was there in late January a few years ago and it was COLD the whole time. There was a 17 degree chill factor one day.
I have also been there when it stayed in the high 70's every afternoon. Here's hoping for the 70's and 80's.

See you there. Doug

MickeyChick
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
SO of all the people who've pasted they're going to be in WDW the last week of January, who is going to be wearing Intercot stuff so I can say hi?

cperry92380
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't have any INTERCOT stuff to wear. And I'm thinking if I DID have a T-shirt, it will probably be covered by a light jacket anyway...
Would I even have time to get something if I ordered it now???? :confused:

kaylamag
01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't have any intercot clothing either. But if i see someone else wearing it i'll be sure to say hi!

Knighten1
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Anyone who wants to say hi to us, we will be the childless couple walking around in total amazement haha.

cperry92380
01-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Anyone who wants to say hi to us, we will be the childless couple walking around in total amazement haha.
Ha, that'll be us too (childless couple)!!!