PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know what this was at AK?

McGoofy
12-29-2007, 06:21 PM
When we were on Kilamajaro Safari last week, we saw something we had never seen before. We rounded the corner by the elephants and there was what appeared to be a private little mini bus pulled off to the side. It was the khaki and army green colors of the AK, and had AK logo on it. We could see a couple of kids that were looking and pointing at the elephants. It just looked like maybe one family and maybe 2 CMs on the vehicle. We were thinking maybe this was part of the dreams give away, but we didn't know. Has anybody else seen this? Does anybody know what it was?

dolphinmickey9170
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
We saw something like this as well when we apporached the savanah. I just assumed it was a tour of some sort happening early morning. Don't they offer small savanah tours in the early hours?

techgeek
12-29-2007, 08:01 PM
It may be dream giveaway, but more likely they where VIPs. Disney has a whole level of service that we commoners never see.

jec13
12-29-2007, 08:23 PM
This was probably the Wildlife Discovery Excursion. It is a special tour that is open to concierge level guests at all WDW hotels (not just the AKL). My wife and I went on it when we were there in September for our 25th anniversary trip. Here is a description that came on our Personal Itinerary Planner from the CR:

Exclusively for Walt Disney World® Resort Club Level Guests
Wildlife Discovery Excursion:
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park invites you to venture off the beaten path of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve for a unique wildlife discovery excursion. Excursions are conducted with small groups of no more than 14 Guests traveling in a custom-designed, climate-controlled vehicle. The excursion is $45 per Guest with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. (Available Tuesday-Saturday)

DizneyRox
12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Poachers! :d

Main Street Jim
12-30-2007, 07:31 AM
It was more than likely the Sunrise Safari. Teh top of that van pops up so guests can stand and view the animals.

McGoofy
12-30-2007, 08:30 AM
This was probably the Wildlife Discovery Excursion. It is a special tour that is open to concierge level guests at all WDW hotels (not just the AKL). My wife and I went on it when we were there in September for our 25th anniversary trip. Here is a description that came on our Personal Itinerary Planner from the CR:

Exclusively for Walt Disney World® Resort Club Level Guests
Wildlife Discovery Excursion:
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park invites you to venture off the beaten path of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve for a unique wildlife discovery excursion. Excursions are conducted with small groups of no more than 14 Guests traveling in a custom-designed, climate-controlled vehicle. The excursion is $45 per Guest with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. (Available Tuesday-Saturday)

That vehicle sounds like the kind that I saw. This may have been what it was.

Poachers! :d
:funny:

It was more than likely the Sunrise Safari. Teh top of that van pops up so guests can stand and view the animals. Nope, the sun wasn't rising at 1:00pm that afternoon!:) (Not your fault, I didn't mention the time frame in my OP.)

SpaceMtn101
12-30-2007, 03:10 PM
No it wasnt sunrise safari because those are done before the park even opens.

It is as we caled it at safaris the excursion van. It is a special safari that you get oto go on that does take u a little more up close than a normal safari truck driver can take u. it is also able to go into areas that a safari truck cant. And yes it is offered to the people saying in suites for an additional charge. But from what other drivers told me they love driving it. Hopefully you get to try it one day :)

Dznygrl79
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
If you do the behind the scenes safari tour you get to ride in one of the special vehicles also! It was way cool! And that is open to everyone, I forget how much the tour was but if you like to see "behind the magic" its great.

Meghan
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Sunrise Safari uses the regular safari trucks and the regular safari path. However you do travel much more slowly and sometimes get to stop. This is done before park opening.

What the original poster explained is the excursion van. It is used for the concierge tour as jec13 explained. It can also be used for Disney Executives or other VIPs. It travels off course and stops.

The VIP van is a green van with an expandable roof, what Main Street Jim explained. It is also used for VIPs, and the occassional Magical Moment.