PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bedroon at OKW

MinnieMommie
12-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I have just booked a 2 bedroom at OKW for June. I have never stayed there and want to know if anyone can give me some tips. What are the pros and cons for staying at each building? Where is the boat launch to DD? Anything you can tell me will be helpful. Thanks :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-28-2007, 08:07 PM
We are going to be there in June in a 2-bedroom as well.

The boat dock and most of the other main amenities are located by the Hospitality House, which is where you check-in.

The building pro's and con's really depends on what you are looking for. Some people want to be near HH, we prefer the peace and quiet of the area around the South Point bus stop. I think your best bet would be to find a map of the resort and see which buildings look the most appealing to you.
One thing to remember about OKW, very few buildings have elevators. If there are members of your party that might not enjoy lots of steps after a long hot day at the parks, you might want to ask for the 1st floor.

It's a beautiful resort and we love it, but as with anything there are some negatives.
Enjoy...:cloud9:

Horizon93
12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
OKW is a tremendous resort. The villas are also by far the largest on property. The staff is very welcoming and friendly. We also love Olivia's and the Gurgling Suitcase.

The boat dock is at the Hospitality House. Recently DVC established a separate booking category for the buildings closest to HH.

If you are not near HH, you are not far. If you like to walk, OKW is easy to walk around, and you can walk to HH pretty easily.

I think that you will love it!

You can see the resort map here. (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/okw07.JPG)

Happy planning!

vizsla
12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
OKW is our Home Resort and love it there. To be honest, it really doesn't matter where you stay in the resort since it is very easy to get around, either by walking or using the internal bus if you were at the back end of the resort and wanted to go up to the HH. If you wanted to stay in in a more quite area but close to the HH, buildings 23-26 would be a good choice.

MinnieMommie
12-29-2007, 08:53 AM
The boat dock and most of the other main amenities are located by the Hospitality House, which is where you check-in.

Is this where you get the boat to DD and rent water sprites?

Some people want to be near HH, we prefer the peace and quiet of the area around the South Point bus stop.

What is the first bus pick up and where is the last unit where they pick up?

The boat dock is at the Hospitality House. Recently DVC established a separate booking category for the buildings closest to HH.

What is this separate booking category, Is it more points to stay near HH? Which units does this include?

I think that you will love it!

I think we will too.

You can see the resort map here. (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/okw07.JPG)

Happy planning!
Thank you! The planning is part of the fun!

OKW is our Home Resort and love it there. To be honest, it really doesn't matter where you stay in the resort since it is very easy to get around, either by walking or using the internal bus if you were at the back end of the resort and wanted to go up to the HH. If you wanted to stay in in a more quite area but close to the HH, buildings 23-26 would be a good choice.

I can't figure how you get the HH from those units (23-26 and all the units along Penninsular road)) . I see Penninsular Road on the map but I also see water. Are there pedestrian bridges to cross over to get to HH or do you have to walk the road towards unit 23 and then walk down what looks like a walkway next to HH?

Thanks for the help. I think my family is going to have a wonderful time!

Horizon93
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
DW and I were in building 24 on our last trip. There is a bridge, not just a pedestrian bridge. It is a very quick nice walk to HH. Those buildings are in the HH booking category.

MinnieMommie
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
DW and I were in building 24 on our last trip. There is a bridge, not just a pedestrian bridge. It is a very quick nice walk to HH. Those buildings are in the HH booking category.

What is the HH booking category? More points?:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Yes...HH is where you pick-up the boat to DD. I'm not sure if you can rent the water sprites at OKW, someone else will have to answer that one.
As far as the bus routes...when entering the resort Peninsular Rd. is the 1st stop, followed by, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller Rd, then Hospitality House. So, theoretically if you want to go to HH you can hop on any bus and it will take you there. Although, in reality, I have been on the bus several times when the driver skipped HH and just headed out of the resort. :confused:

MinnieMommie
12-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Yes...HH is where you pick-up the boat to DD. I'm not sure if you can rent the water sprites at OKW, someone else will have to answer that one.
As far as the bus routes...when entering the resort Peninsular Rd. is the 1st stop, followed by, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller Rd, then Hospitality House. So, theoretically if you want to go to HH you can hop on any bus and it will take you there. Although, in reality, I have been on the bus several times when the driver skipped HH and just headed out of the resort. :confused:

When they don't stop at HH is that when the bus is full? Is there an internal bus, one that just circles the property?

Horizon93
12-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, but I am not sure how often it runs. It really is an easy resort to walk around if you enjoy walking.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-29-2007, 11:51 AM
When they don't stop at HH is that when the bus is full? Is there an internal bus, one that just circles the property?

When they have skipped HH it seemed that maybe the driver was just having a brain cramp. The bus wasn't full and the driver didn't even ask if anyone wanted to get off there.

There is an internal bus, but it doesn't seem to run very often. If fact, on our last trip I only saw it once in the 6 days we were there.

Ian
12-29-2007, 01:48 PM
We're booked into a 2BR at OKW in May ... I've only stayed there once before (in a studio), but I really liked the resort.

Nice to see all the positive reviews here! :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
12-29-2007, 02:51 PM
We wanted May but had to settle on early June due to graduation dates. I'm sure June will be nice as well (but too late for the garden festival at Epcot). :mickey:

dlpmikki
12-29-2007, 05:24 PM
The internal bus is actually the downtown disney bus and it stops at hospitality house first and last on each trip. I love OKW and enjoy being near hospitality house and also further away. It is such a pretty resort!

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-29-2007, 10:49 PM
The internal bus is actually the downtown disney bus and it stops at hospitality house first and last on each trip. I love OKW and enjoy being near hospitality house and also further away. It is such a pretty resort!

I have seen buses with the sign showing "Internal Shuttle" and one of the times the bus I was on skipped HH was the DD bus. So, instead of going to HH, I got a bus ride to DD and a nice boat ride back...;)

MinnieMommie
12-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Not sure exactly how this is supposed to work but at SSR (where we have stayed many times) we on occasion see a bus marked "internal shuttle" but were told that the DD bus functions as the internal shuttle. Generally I ask when I get on if I can get off where I want to go. :mickey: