PDA

View Full Version : Considering Renting from a DVC Member?

DVC Mike
12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
There are some good threads on this board and others, as well as postings from various members that say some great things about renting points. I'd like to post this updated summary of things to consider -- targeted for all those potential renters out there. I'd also like to thank all the folks I've plagiarized in putting this together!

There are two ways you can stay in a “Disney Deluxe Villa Resort” (Disney Vacation Club Villa):

Call WDW reservations (aka CRO), just like any other resort, and book a villa at a Disney Deluxe Villa Resort
Rent points from a Disney Vacation Club (DVC) memberDisney allows the general public to book DVC units at rack rates through its regular resort reservations system, when available. Renting points from a DVC member is a much better deal, as it typically costs much less to rent from a DVC member than to book a DVC resort direct from Disney.

If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, there are a few things you should be aware of so that your experience is nothing less than magical.

While commonly referred to as “renting points”, you are actually paying a DVC member to make a reservation in your name with some of the points they own as DVC members.

Keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem. To repeat this very important fact: All transactions are between private individuals as negotiated between themselves. Disney will not get involved in any transaction problems or disputes.

Until you physically check-in, the DVC owner controls the reservation, even when it is in your name. An unscrupulous owner could potentially cancel your reservation and steal your money, and Disney will not get involved. Also, someone could pose as a DVC owner just to get your cash. This risk is what gets you the big discount, and renting is not for everyone. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the potential risk of these types of transactions.

That said, fraud almost never occurs in DVC rentals, as reported instances of fraud occurring are extremely rare. Thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious.

We don't often see problematic DVC rentals, and when we do they are usually due to misunderstandings between the DVC owner and the renter. Unfortunately, a lot of those misunderstandings come from lack of knowledge about how DVC works and how that differs from a traditional hotel reservation -- or a DVC reservation made through Disney CRO, for that matter.

You would think that the DVC owners all have perfect understanding of their accounts, and it's the people renting reservations who don't get it. You'd be dead wrong. Too often, neither party really understands the situation well enough to be able to anticipate problem areas. That’s why it’s important to rent points from a DVC member who has done it before. Take some time yourself to get educated on how DVC works before looking to “rent points”.

Please use due diligence before entering into any agreement and certainly before sending any payment. Renting points requires trust on both sides of the agreement, but even with trust there is a need for you to do some due diligence and common sense checking before sending off your money to a total stranger.

Ask for references from the DVC member who is renting the points, and check their references. Good references show that a DVC member has had successful rentals in the past, and is knowledgeable about the DVC program. You are more likely to have a miscommunication with a DVC member who is renting their points for the first time.
Don't rent from any “member” who has only made a few posts on a rental forum. It could be an indicator of a scam. Review past posts for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be.
Get the owner's full name, home address and home phone number before sending any payment. To the extent possible, confirm that the information is valid.
Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Orange County Comptroller's Office web site (this site only reports owners of WDW DVC resorts).
There should be a written contract or letter of agreement, signed by both of you, spelling out exactly what the rental will cost, when payment is due, dates of the stay, etc.
Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.In summary: never, ever send money to anyone until you have confirmed their true identify and that they are, in fact, a DVC member, and you have a written agreement. If something sounds "off," don't proceed. It's not worth taking the risk. Any DVC deal that seems too good to be true most likely is.

Also, please keep in mind the following important points:

Be aware that the Disney Vacation Club will not speak with renters or give them any information. They won't take a room request from you; they won't confirm you have a reservation; and they won't make Magical Express arrangements for you. Only DVC owners can speak with DVC about reservations. Any changes and any additions like the Dining Plan or Magical Express will have to be made through Member Services by the owner. You will pay for the Disney Dining Plan during check-in at the resort. You can make your own dining reservations through the Disney dining number. Park tickets cannot be purchased through the DVC member. You can purchase your tickets on your own.
DVC is a timeshare and not a hotel. A DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation and the limitations / restrictions / penalties on the owner may make cancellation and rescheduling difficult or impossible. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented reservation, the owner may not be able to help you. Many owners have a “no cancellation/no changes/no refunds” policy. Be sure you fully understand what will happen if your plans change. That is critical, and if you are not comfortable with the answer, a DVC rental is probably not for you. DVC rentals do not work well for people whose plans are not firmly set. You'll have much better cancellation policies when booking through Disney’s CRO than renting points.
You will probably need a much larger deposit and have to pay in full much earlier when renting points than with using Disney CRO. You may need to pay with a cashiers check instead of being able to use your credit card.
You do not get daily maid service when you rent from a DVC member (while you do get daily maid service if you make the reservation through Disney CRO). You get your trash emptied and new towels on day 4 of a vacation, and if you stay 8 or more nights, on day 4 you get a full cleaning, and day 8 would be the trash & towel service.
While you will receive all the standard perks of staying onsite (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc.), please be aware than renters typically do not get to take advantage of DVC member perks such as discounts, free valet parking, etc.
The DVC system is complex and takes some time to understand, and many rental difficulties or misunderstandings are from good people with good intentions, who misunderstand the subtleties of the system.I hope the above information is helpful to everyone considering renting points from a DVC member.

okw2006
12-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Very well put DVC Mike. That pretty much sums it up.:thumbsup:

AKL Mom
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
We are considering renting points for an upcoming vacation. Your post was very helpful. I am having trouble getting into the Florida Comptroller's website to find ownership verification. This seemed like a good idea but there were so many sites to click on and nothing ever came up where I could actually look for owners. Any advice? Thanks

DVC Mike
01-07-2008, 06:57 AM
We are considering renting points for an upcoming vacation. Your post was very helpful. I am having trouble getting into the Florida Comptroller's website to find ownership verification. This seemed like a good idea but there were so many sites to click on and nothing ever came up where I could actually look for owners. Any advice? Thanks

The site is located at:

http://officialrecords.occompt.com/wb_or1/or_sch_1.asp

You enter the owners name as "LAST FIRST" (no comma) and t will show you where they own.

AKL Mom
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. It gave me just what I needed!

adoptionislove
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
WOW!

So informative. Thank you!

Now, if we wanted to rent points from a DVC member to see if we like it. Where do I look to see who is interested in renting to me?

DVC Mike
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
WOW!

So informative. Thank you!

Now, if we wanted to rent points from a DVC member to see if we like it. Where do I look to see who is interested in renting to me?

There are several active rental boards

adoptionislove
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you, I am going there now.:thumbsup:

BelleCiavo
01-14-2008, 02:13 AM
While you will receive all the standard perks of staying onsite (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, etc.), please be aware than renters typically do not get to take advantage of DVC member perks such as discounts, free valet parking, etc.[/LIST][LIST]

I realize you use the word "typically", but we have rented points 3x and have always gotten the DVC discounts. Granted, we have not rented points since 2004, so maybe this is something new? Whenever we checked in we received the "Welcome Home" kit with all the DVC discounts listed. At restaurants and shops we showed our room key which looks like every other DVC room key and as far as I knew there was no way for CMs to tell if I was the owner or not. Not to say I was beating the system, on the contrary, we were told at check-in we qualified for the discount.

dlpmikki
01-14-2008, 04:18 AM
I realize you use the word "typically", but we have rented points 3x and have always gotten the DVC discounts. Granted, we have not rented points since 2004, so maybe this is something new? Whenever we checked in we received the "Welcome Home" kit with all the DVC discounts listed. At restaurants and shops we showed our room key which looks like every other DVC room key and as far as I knew there was no way for CMs to tell if I was the owner or not. Not to say I was beating the system, on the contrary, we were told at check-in we qualified for the discount.

Recently a lot of discounts can only be obtained by showing your DVC membership card and not the room key.

BelleCiavo
01-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Recently a lot of discounts can only be obtained by showing your DVC membership card and not the room key.

Oh, well it was nice while it lasted. :mickey:

Tigger&Stitch
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Subscribing!

Also, a question - can we request a particular room upon check-in?

dephenn
07-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks DVC Mike.

LarryBoy
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
What is the typical payment procedures when renting points from a DVC member? For example, what is the typical deposit, and when is full payment usually due? Also, how far out can DVC members book a resort for you? I know this differs between home resort and non-home. Thanks for the help, we are starting to make plans for a summer 2009 trip, and one of my options is renting points. I figure it might be a good way to stay at one of the prime locations like BW, WL, or BC at a somewhat lower price.

Wayne A
11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Where is the (google search) for renting points? Thanks.

samrawet
12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Nice Articles

Disney_Barbie
01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
http://officialrecords.occompt.com/wb_or1/or_sch_1.asp

I couldn't get this website to work. Any other means of getting to it?

AKL Mom
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I also couldn't get this website to work, any suggestions, we are renting points and I was wanting to check ownership. Thanks

DVC Mike
08-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I also couldn't get this website to work, any suggestions, we are renting points and I was wanting to check ownership. Thanks

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp

AKL Mom
08-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks so much, this worked with positive results.

LVT
09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Good summation. Curious, why do multiple Homes?

DVC Mike
09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Good summation. Curious, why do multiple Homes?

I have deliberately purchased where I want to stay, so I always get the reservation I want, without ever having to waitlist.

disneycouple2004
10-31-2009, 04:53 AM
Hi,
Just needing info on where i can post the info to rent my points.

Thanks

vizsla
10-31-2009, 05:06 AM
We do not allow points to be advertised for rent on Intercot. If you do a search for "DVC Rental Points" on the Internet you will find several sites that you can post your points for rent. I just recently posted on a site myself because I have points to rent also.

stitchaholic
11-01-2009, 06:56 AM
What is the typical payment procedures when renting points from a DVC member? For example, what is the typical deposit, and when is full payment usually due? Also, how far out can DVC members book a resort for you? I know this differs between home resort and non-home. Thanks for the help, we are starting to make plans for a summer 2009 trip, and one of my options is renting points. I figure it might be a good way to stay at one of the prime locations like BW, WL, or BC at a somewhat lower price.

I rented pts for my january trip, i rented them in september..
we used a contact that they have out there for just this purpose, and pay pal, it was 25% down with the signed contract, 25% at 6 months out and the balance at 60 days out.

if you would like more info on this,just pm me and i can give you some more detail

disneycouple2004
11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
I am considering renting out my points, and need some feedback please. I have found several websites that to this (won't list them here) One i found takes care of the entire process for a fair price it seems. I checked refrences, and read all the fine print, seems like a good deal ( HOWEVER) in the contract i have to add this person as an associate to my DVC membership, thus allowing him full access to my membership and all points etc.( I understand the need for him to handle the entire process this is needed) This concerns me. Am i over cautious ? or has anyone else done this with no problems ? Any feedback, ideals or thoughts would be very helpful.
Thanks so much
:thumbsup:

DVC Mike
11-03-2009, 06:32 AM
I am considering renting out my points, and need some feedback please. I have found several websites that to this (won't list them here) One i found takes care of the entire process for a fair price it seems. I checked refrences, and read all the fine print, seems like a good deal ( HOWEVER) in the contract i have to add this person as an associate to my DVC membership, thus allowing him full access to my membership and all points etc.( I understand the need for him to handle the entire process this is needed) This concerns me. Am i over cautious ? or has anyone else done this with no problems ? Any feedback, ideals or thoughts would be very helpful.
Thanks so much
:thumbsup:

I know the site you are referring to, and I know the guy that runs it. I have only heard positive things about his service.

Mammabruski
05-08-2010, 01:34 PM
My family recently rented points to stay at a Grand Villa at OKW in March of 2011! :cloud9: I know that anyone can make ADR's, but I have a question about a Grand Gathering reservation. I tried calling to find out, but I got the run around...

Anyways, can we make a reservation for a Grand Gathering (for example the Grand Gathering Breakfast @ Tony's) or does the owner that we rented from need to do it? Thanks!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I have followed the link to the comptollers office to check a dcv owner we are considering renting from. I am confused where I go from there to enter the person's name, can someone help me.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
11-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I figured it out... thank you

disneynarula
12-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Can you pay for mousekeeping when you check in? Can you pay for just a few days or is a week or nothing? I was going to pay for mousekeeping for every other day of our trip if we rent points.

nat
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I am in the process of renting points from The Timeshare store listed here on Intercot, thanks by the way! They have been wonderful! My question is, can I take out and insurance policy in the event that I have to cancel my trip???
I always take insurance out whenever we go away, for many reasons? I will have my rental agreement as proof of my trip? Any info would be appreciated!

TheHD
05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
This is a very interesting discussion.

I am researching DVC and looking into all "areas" of DVC. Does anyone else have anything recent to add to the discussion of renting out or buying rental points from others?

Thanks in advance!

Goofster
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I just got back from my 5th trip renting DVC points. I was able to get the DVC discount at House of Blues, Planet Hollywood, World of Disney and other Disney restaurants just by showing my room key that indicates I'm staying under a DVC reservation.

tinksmom02
04-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I just started looking around to possibly rent points for our November trip--it seems that I might be able to get a much better deal that way, which ultimately might make the trip more affordable for my Dad. I found a website online that seems to be pretty legit; how can I know for sure? (Without linking the website, which I know is against TOS, can I say that Dave is from Canada?)

The whole thing (renting points) is really new to me; is it better to work through a website like that or to try and search out an individual (and how would I do that)?

Thanks.

VWL Mom
04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
There are two or three reputable companies out there, our sponsor The Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/) being one of them.

Personally, I would go through a company rather than an individual even if it is a few dollars higher. It's easy to find out a lot about a company by googling reviews or checking out their facebook page. Not so easy when it comes to an individual.

tinksmom02
04-18-2013, 11:02 AM
There are two or three reputable companies out there, our sponsor The Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/) being one of them.

Personally, I would go through a company rather than an individual even if it is a few dollars higher. It's easy to find out a lot about a company by googling reviews or checking out their facebook page. Not so easy when it comes to an individual.

Thank you, I didn't realize the Timeshare Store did renting, I thought they were just resale, I will definitely look into them!

BuffaloJason
06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I must be missing it but I can't find anything on the timeshare stores website about rentals. Did they stop doing that or am I struggling to read their website?

VWL Mom
06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
I must be missing it but I can't find anything on the timeshare stores website about rentals. Did they stop doing that or am I struggling to read their website?

I can't find the info on their site either. I found this in the current newsletter.

We now have points available for rent at $12 a point. If you are interested in renting we need the following information emailed to [email protected]. Be advised we typically always have points available for $12 per point, however, if points are expiring and renting for less than $12 per point you will find those below. You will also find any points we have available for transfer below.

If you want to use these points for the reservation we need the following information emailed to [email protected]
Date Checking In
Date Checking out
Resort Desired
Size of room
Names for those staying in the room (next to adults put adult and next to children put their ages)
Home address
Phone number
Please indicate if you will need Magical Express or the Disney Dining plan added to this reservation

BuffaloJason
06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks. I sent them an email and am going to give them a try I think. My family is starting to plan our next trip for late jan or early feb of next year. We stayed at poly and WL the last couple trips. they were both wonderful but the idea of spreading out a bit in a villa is sounding awfully appealing.