PDA

View Full Version : Pressed Pot at Kona

SurferStitch
12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Okay, so after hearing how amazing the 100% Kona coffee is at the Kona Cafe, and after hearing I was nuts for not liking Poly coffee on this board, DH and I finally tried a pressed pot at breakfast at Kona on our last trip.

Now, I can officially say....the Poly has the worst coffee on property. :sick:

That pressed pot was terribly weak, and had a bad after taste. We couldn't believe how bad it was! Our server even let it "brew" for some extra time, and it was still weak.

The instant coffee at Captain Cook's was gourmet compared to the Kona coffee. (Actually, the Cook's coffee was excellent).

Sorry, y'all. We went into the pressed pot with high hopes, but were sadly disappointed. :(

Disnamic Duo
12-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know what happened with your coffee, but my wife and I got the pressed pot when we were there in November and it was excellent - full flavor. Much better than the coffee anywhere else on property (besides maybe the Kenyan coffee at Boma).

MinnieMommie
12-28-2007, 06:13 AM
I guess that's what makes the world go round. To each his/her own. It is hard to imagine though how fresh pressed coffee can be worse under any circumstances than what is normally served for coffee at the world but again to each their own. Maybe you would like the fresh pressed at Jiko. :mickey:

SurferStitch
12-28-2007, 06:42 AM
The vacuum brewed coffee at V&A is wonderful (they use the Cona vacuum brewer, which we purchased after trying coffee there for the first time). I don't know what they use, but it's robust, dark and flavorful.

We just couldn't believe how weak the Kona stuff was. Another table near us also got it, and their coffee also looked light in color like ours. I guess we should have complained and asked for another pot, but when I saw other pots coming out looking the same way, we figured ours was the norm.

I'm just surprised that so many on this board who say they love Starbuck's (which is nice and strong), also love Kona (weak and bland).

Jared
12-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Sorry to hear you were disappointed by the coffee at Kona Cafe, especially because the restaurant supposedly specializes in the pressed pot.

All the folks who make a special trip to the Polynesian for their morning caffeine boost will be happy to learn one fewer person will be waiting in line.

:tasty:

Hammer
12-28-2007, 09:24 AM
The vacuum brewed coffee at V&A is wonderful (they use the Cona vacuum brewer, which we purchased after trying coffee there for the first time). I don't know what they use, but it's robust, dark and flavorful.

We just couldn't believe how weak the Kona stuff was. Another table near us also got it, and their coffee also looked light in color like ours. I guess we should have complained and asked for another pot, but when I saw other pots coming out looking the same way, we figured ours was the norm.

I'm just surprised that so many on this board who say they love Starbuck's (which is nice and strong), also love Kona (weak and bland).

My sister wasn't that bowled over with the coffee at Kona Cafe, either (though she did not have a pressed pot there). Have you had a pressed pot at any of the other restaurants that offer it, such as Jiko or Narcoossee's? I think you are a fan of Narcoossee's (as am I) and my sister was very pleased with her pressed pot there (I prefer tea so I did not try it).

PetefromRI
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Kona coffee is my favorite .Usually it's a 10% Kona Blend but at the Poly it's 100% and we love it.Kona isn't a strong coffee to start with so if your a French Roast kind of coffee drinker I can understand your dissapointment.We always make a point of going to the Poly at least once per trip for our pressed pot.By the way,they get something like 35.00 a lbs. for Kona by the bag at the Poly.I'll stick with my 10% blend!
To me anything has got to be better than the Nescafe at the resort drink stations.:sick:

SurferStitch
12-28-2007, 11:14 AM
My sister wasn't that bowled over with the coffee at Kona Cafe, either (though she did not have a pressed pot there). Have you had a pressed pot at any of the other restaurants that offer it, such as Jiko or Narcoossee's? I think you are a fan of Narcoossee's (as am I) and my sister was very pleased with her pressed pot there (I prefer tea so I did not try it).

Oh yes....the pressed pot at Narcoossee's is wonderful. We get it every time we dine there. Now that's nice and strong, and tastes perfect!

BrerGnat
12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Kona coffee is traditionally a light to medium roast coffee, with floral flavor tones. If you are a dark roast lover, Kona coffee (even 100%) will seem weak in comparison. It's just a taste preference. I personally think the pressed pot coffee at Kona is great, but I hate strong coffee. At least you tried it once and know it's not for you. :)

SBETigg
12-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I haven't had the pressed pot, but I have had good coffee at the Kona Cafe stand. I can't imagine anyone who is a proclaimed coffee drinker/lover actually liking the coffee they serve at Captain Cook's or in the parks, which is not only weak but on par with instant. So there you have it- different strokes.

SurferStitch
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I haven't had the pressed pot, but I have had good coffee at the Kona Cafe stand. I can't imagine anyone who is a proclaimed coffee drinker/lover actually liking the coffee they serve at Captain Cook's or in the parks, which is not only weak but on par with instant. So there you have it- different strokes.

Yeah well....I am a proclaimed coffer lover, and I do like the coffee at Captain Cook's, so imagine that! I'm a big Starbucks Sumatra drinker along with their other dark roasts (drinking it as I'm typing this), and I even add a little extra to the pot when I'm brewing it to make it even stronger, and I STILL like Cook's coffee. Cook's was strong and flavorful, which was surprising to us since it's instant. Much, much stronger (and tastier) than anything at Kona.

mouseketeer mom
12-29-2007, 07:40 AM
We loved our shared pressed pot along with our macadamia nut pancakes. Loved loved loved it. Oh if I was only there now, instead I sit in my family room with a cup of Chock full o nuts. Hmmmm.....Lucky, lucky, people at Kona's now!

Noahrk
01-01-2008, 09:46 AM
We indulge in coffee at home and have 100% Kona shipped to us from the Big Island monthly. Kona is not a french roast coffee-it is medium. In addition, for all those that think you are getting a big caffeine boost from Kona coffee you are not-it has about 30% less caffeine than regular coffee. At the Poly, unless you order the pressed pot, you are getting a 10% Kona blend. Sorry you didn't like the Kona-perhaps it wasn't prepared properly.

ILoveLegos
01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Kona coffee is different, it has less caffeine and is a medium roast, not a strong coffee as other posters have pointed out. On our last trip to Hawaii my family took a three hour tour called "Kona Coffee Yesterday and Today" on the Big Island. The historical and technical details of growing Kona coffee, harvesting and preparing the "beans" was facinating. We picked Kona cherries, squished the cheries to see the "green coffee" beans. Tasted the slimely but sweet membrane surrounding the beans, saw the drying and sorting processes and felt the rich volcanic Kona soil with our hands. All this built appreciation for that which is 100% Kona coffee. After the roasting process we ate whole beans and slurped the pressed pot samples of Kona coffee to appreciate the "bouquet" which is a little flowery and had a subtle flavor which we thought was delicious. We even ate chocolate covered Kona coffee beans! Now I went into so much detail and yes, I can ramble more about it, but I'm doing so to make an interesting point, I'm extremely caffeine sensitive - (major heart palpitations and increased heart rate usually) and I dislike the taste and smell of every other coffee I've tried before, but all that Kona sampling did not bother me one iota (of course being in paradise and totally relaxed could have been a factor in that <smile>)! Surprisingly enough the very thing that makes Kona milder and thus "yucky" to strong coffee drinkers makes it palitable and less deadly to me. <chuckling> Now my family regularly orders 100% Peaberry Kona Coffee from a family of growers that we met on the tour. We can all instantly tell the difference between Kona blends and 100% Kona. Although I can't tell the different when drinking a 100% Peaberry vs. an ordinary 100% Kona coffee bean (peaberries are like the opposite of having twins - most coffees are "born" two to a pod, peaberries are the rare one bean to a pod and thus a bigger and some say tastier bean) - my father swears he can taste the difference, but he has quite a nose and palate (Peaberries cost a wee bit more that non-peaberries due to their rarity)! :mickey: Funny thing is that according the expert coffee graders, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is the finest coffee on the planet, so there are truly wonderful experiences out there to be had, and as you have the opportunity try something different, you may be surprised! To date I've never had Kona coffee at the Kona Cafe in WDW, we forgot to order it our last time there (the food was just that good- LOL)! For my own health reasons, I still don't drink the Kona that we order from the island although my family is crazy about it, but I sure do like smelling it brewing in the kitchen and in 15 days I'll be in WDW trying to see if Disney's Kona brew captures my memories of Kona Coffee. :cloud9: It surely will be better than the Nescafe coffee of WDW, :blush: he-he-heh! - But that's an entirely different post topic now isn't it? :confused:

SurferStitch
01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
That tour sounds very interesting! Lots of good info.

I can appreciate milder coffees, if they have flavor. Unfortunately, this had very little flavor, and what flavor it did have, was "meh". We've had 100% Kona several times at other places (not WDW), and really liked it. That's why we were so excited about trying it at Kona Cafe....who could have better, right?

Oh well, I'll chalk it up to a bad day at Kona.

PetefromRI
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
ILoveLegos,
That was a very interesting post.Being a coffee fanatic,I would find that tour very fun and educating.Thanks again.
Pete

ILoveLegos
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
:blush: Thanks, it was fun sharing. :mickey: