PDA

View Full Version : Our first trip to DLR - final thoughts

Marilyn Michetti
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Cast of Characters

DH - Thomas (old man)
Me - Marilyn (even older)

Wednesday, we started out with breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. It was a terrific, (really early) breakfast, and Goofy was especially attentive. Maybe he just has a thing for older women, or maybe it was because we were the first ones seated for the day. Anyway, the French Toast Creme Brulee was AWESOME! This was a little pricey for breakfast with the automatic 18% gratuity, but when you're on vacation, you just do it. I think it was $52 for the two of us. We had more than an hour to kill so we poked around the resort, looked in stores (all closed) at DDD, and were waiting at the gate to CA before it opened.

I headed straight for TT, and then did Soarin, both with the singles pass. That's the greatest tip for anyone dragging a "chicken" along on vacation. I went straight past a true 20 min. line, right to the front without even stopping.

DH had forgotten his camera at CCI, so I sat in Sunshine Plaza while he took my ECV and "scooted" back to the room. We shopped a bit, hanging close to the Hyperion Theater to get in line for Aladdin. We had seen it on Sun., and I wasn't about to leave CA without seeing it again. I think, if that were the only reason to go back to DLR, I would. It was a different cast, and maybe even funnier the second time.

As cold as it was, we went to Grizzly River Run, and I got SOAKED !! As cold as it was, I had a ball.

I really wanted to do the Sun Wheel, but it was just too windy - in fact, I don't remember seeing it run the whole time.

THURSDAY

We were at the MK at opening, and headed right for the Nemo Submarine ride. It was close to an hour wait for pedestrians, but I was directed to a 20 min. line with the ECV. (No, it's not fair, and not typical anymore, but that's what they still do for that ride). When I got to the ride, I almost didn't do it, but DH is an R.N., and used to helping with this sort of thing. He got me down those tiny little steps, and it was a neat ride. After that, we did Mr. Toad, the Canal boats, and Small World, again. The worst attraction of my whole trip was the Carousel. Yeah, a merry-go-round. When I got on, the horse was low, but when we stopped, it was high. DH got behind, and I kind of slid off the horse's rear. It wasn't pretty.

We didn't do our ADR at Blue Bayou, so we went to the podium at 11:30, were seated immediately, and enjoyed our lunch much more than we would have on Mon. The gumbo was the best we've ever had, anywhere. DH got the Pork Chop, and I got Prime Rib. GREAT ! I didn't get to ride the train because you have to be ambulatory, but DH did, and he said it was even more interesting that the one at WDW.

Mostly, the rest of the day, we did things that we had already done, and since the fireworks were cancelled again, we left MK, and went down the road a bit, and had a final dinner at Mimi's. It's familiar, and rib-sticking, good food. It was freezing out, so we went back to our room by 8:00, and packed.

It was an awesome trip, and I'm sooooo glad we did it. I wasn't the only one that stood and stared up at that window over the Fire House, wondering about the man that dreamed this all up. I would go again, but maybe with a girl-friend. DH just didn't have as much to do as he does at WDW. We'll see........

Candy Cane Inn was convenient, really pretty, and inexpensive. I had an issue with "no bars" in the bathroom, and when we filled out our questionaire, that was the only thing I mentioned that wasn't glowing. They called me a few days after we got back, and said I should order a suite next time, because they're more HC "friendly". (They're also way more expensive). I would stay there again if they would just fix that one problem - it's scary stepping into a tub to shower with nothing to hold onto.

We could have seen and done everything is two or three days, which makes me think I might do a long weekend.

It was a terrific trip !!!!!! :mickey:

NotaGeek
12-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the post! Glad it was a good time! :mickey:

tinkwest
12-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Great reports. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you would come back. :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I am so glad that it ended up being a good trip for the two of you, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing it with us. I enjoyed reading your reports. :mickey:

Jeff
01-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the report.
Glad to hear you could do it in 2 or 3 days becuase my family may try this in August.