PDA

View Full Version : What words do you live by?

TikiGoddess
12-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi all,

Two part question here, for all you deep thinkers out there.

I'm doing an experiment... I am thinking of writing an article about people's beliefs.

1. I'm interested in hearing what words you live by... any adages or sayings that help you in daily life. It could also be a saying that you like or find truth in. Some examples:

"Do unto others..."
"Strive for excellence, not perfection"
"Good things come to those who wait"

2. Pretend you've made it to be ninety years old and someone says, "What advice would you give to people?" What do you think you would say?

Thanks for responses! Happy holidays!
Kathy

Mousefever
12-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Merry Christmas, Kathy!

My life's motto is, "Done is better than perfect!"

I could spend a lot of time stressing over the little details of making something perfect, but I'd much rather spend the time enjoying life. That is not to say that I like to be sloppy in the things I do. It's just important to me that I find some balance in my life. Being perfect is just not that crucial.

Amy

:dory:

Here we go again...
12-25-2007, 11:54 PM
There are a few I live by that all seemed to come into my life at the right time.

1. I was dating a man that was "leaving" his wife. He made all of the typical promises and even bought me a ring. One day I was reading an Ann Landers column and her advice to some one was, "If you marry a man that cheats, you get a man that cheats". It took me about 2 minutes to end that relationship.

2. I was going through a rough time at work and there seemed to be a leak in the office. No matter what anyone said it was getting back to the boss. I stayed far away from the gossip but watched as some of my close friends collapsed through the pressure. One of my close friends kept me up to date on what was happening.
Then I heard the saying, "those that talk to you about other people will talk about you to other people". It was not long before I found out that this "friend" was the one stirring the pot in the office.

3. one more...
This too shall pass.
This one speaks for itself.

cajunprincess
12-26-2007, 12:00 AM
1.I belive in karma. What goes around comes around! Sometimes it isn't to pretty either!

2. I would tell the younger people when im 99 to enjoy life....take time to smell the roses....and always tell the ones you love, that you love them.

poeticeclipse
12-26-2007, 09:47 AM
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." - Judy Garland

I heard that in high school and have tried to live by that ever since. I'm very proud of the person that i've turned out to be. Being offbeat and quirky isn't a bad thing. It's what is different about us that makes us unique and one of a kind. I think of Walt in that way. He was unlike anyone else and look what he did for the world.

Scar
12-26-2007, 10:04 AM
1) Words to live by:

Temperance
Fortitude
Prudence
Justice

2) The best advice:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.

Matthew 22: 37-39

conorsmom2000
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
First, I have to agree with Angel that "This too shall pass..." is definitely words that I live by. Another mantra for me is "I can not worry about what I can not control". But, for me, it's also as simple as "Life is too short...". Abraham Lincoln once said "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

And that really goes along with your second question - if I were 90, and giving advice, my advice would be things that I try to remind myself of every day, when I am stressed and frazzled, and that would be...

"when I'm gone, I don't want the only things that people say about me to be that my house was clean, or I drove a nice car - at the end of the day, is that how you want to be remembered? Do those things even matter? I want people to be able to say that she was a good person, her son grew up to be a fine man, she made a difference, she made me laugh.... Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles wisely - does it really matter who takes out the garbage? Don't make things bigger than they need to be, don't rush time - it goes too fast as it is. Play the cards you've been dealt, instead of wishing for a better hand. You get one life to live, be an active participant in it, not a by-stander. Treasure your family, no matter how crazy they are; always let those you love know that they are loved and stop waiting for "someday". Age is just a number; accept that you are going to be wrong sometimes and be willing to admit it. Stop wasting time on needless worrying or striving for perfection - save your worries for the big stuff. Goal weights, expensive make up and highlights may seem important, but confidence is what makes us truly beautiful. In order to have others believe in you, you must believe in yourself first. Stop worrying about what everyone thinks of you, don't waste your talents and be kind to yourself. Finding balance in your life is one of the hardest and most improtant things to do. Don't stretch yourself so thin you resent it. Life is rarely fair - but it comes with so many choices. You can choose to brood about it not being fair, or you can choose to be happy with what you have. Be generous, be kind, be respectful, give everything your all, and especially love with your whole heart. Laugh or make someone laugh every day. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Dream big, but enjoy the here and now. We all have regrets - even at my age, but at least that means you tried. Read "Oh, the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss when you hit a bump in the road. Choose to be happy."

And that would be my long winded speech to someone seeking my advice!! :blush: :blush: :blush: But, since I'd be 90, hopefully they'd have patience and listen to me!!!

ayeckley
12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
1. "Consider the source". Particularly useful advice given to me in younger years. Good for dealing with criticism, and also for deciding whose advice to take and -- perhaps more importantly -- whose to ignore.

2. "It's better to try, and fail, than never to have tried at all". Perhaps WED himself was given this advice when first becoming a cartoonist. The collary is "don't be afraid to try something new". Obviously this doesn't mean one should take unnecessary risks, but sometimes in life when a decision is particularly difficult to make this little gem has pushed me in the direction of action, rather than inaction. No regrets so far. YMMV...

Diznee4Me
12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
There is always time to "stop and smell the roses" but when there is a job to be done "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line."

Those are my words to live by. By all means have fun - and there is time for that, but when it is time to do a job (or an unenvionable task) don't procrastinate - do it, do it to the best of your ability and try your hardest to do it right.

dolphinmickey9170
12-26-2007, 01:55 PM
First off, "Don't sweat the small stuff" is something I think about and say often. Secondly, "There is always the next trip to Disney!"

If I am 90 years old, I would tell people to take time with your friends and loved ones. Don't let time pass by just because someone is mad at what the other one did. **** it up, deal with it, and move on. If you let something little consume your whole thoughts about this person, you will have lived a long, painful life without them. "Forgive and Forget"

Jenemmy
12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
At the risk of being politically incorrect -- a risk I don't mind taking -- LOL....my all time motto is : "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me". Truer words were never spoken as He has carried me through things that I would not be able to handle on my own. I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of people to love in life....but He is the love of my life.

Advice for the youngsters when I have one foot in the grave ---- probably not to take yourself so darn seriously, love people --even those hard to love or who think differently than you, and remember that harsh words can't be taken back, even if you don't mean them.

pogo
12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Anyone that recieves an email from me see's the following in my signiture.

"love is a wonderful thing to share.....
share it with someone today !"

And also see my signiture below.... I also believe in it. :D

princessjojo
12-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I seem to use adages each day for something but there are some that I think about each time I have a difficult time:

God brought me to it, God will bring me through it.
Never life life with any regrets. Use each unwanted experience as a lesson on what not to do the next time.
"Every girl, no matter what she looks like should be told she's beautiful"-Marilyn MonroeThere are so many more...

Marker
12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Character Counts!!!

I have no real control over the actions of others, but I have total control over my reaction .

Integrity, honor & respect, our three most prized posessions. We're born with all three, but lose them and you may never get them back.

I've been a scout my entire life, and I firmly believe if we were all able to live by those 12 points we'd all be much better off --- Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

To love, and to be loved, truly the ultimate rewards.

tinksmom02
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
These are some great, uplifting words to live by!

The only thing that pops into my mind right now is what Angel and others have already said: "This too shall pass." There are far too many unfortunate events in my life, and the only thing that keeps me going is that they can't last forever. LOL There will always be NEW unfortunate events, but the CURRENT unfortunate event(s) can't possibly last forever! ;)

ImagiAsh
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." - Judy Garland

I love that quote! I am also a fan of "defy gravity" (I love the musical Wicked). When not taken literally, it empowers me to go after what I want even if it seems impossible and the odds are against me.

Marker
12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I'd like to add one more, from some really great philosphers...

"Always look on the bright side of life"
~ Monty Python

Ed
12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Good topic! :thumbsup:

I've got two favorites, and they're both from Disney's "Lion King" :simba: :

"Hakuna Matata" [Timon]

and

"It doesn't matter; it's in the past!" [Rafiki]

And they both pretty well sum up how I try to live my life. :)

DisneyDog
12-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Mel Brooks is my hero, and I believe an absolute genius. Here a few Mel Brooks quotes that I feel have made me think, and laugh a bit:

“Hope for the best, expect the worst./ Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.”

“As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes.”

"Humor is just another defense against the universe.”

“If you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy and colorful and lively.”

pink
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
1. I'm interested in hearing what words you live by... any adages or sayings that help you in daily life. It could also be a saying that you like or find truth in.

- Tomorrow is a new day to start over fresh.
(Whether I get embarassed about something dumb I've said or something I wish I could take back.)
- The overall concept of Karma. "What goes around comes around."

2. Pretend you've made it to be ninety years old and someone says, "What advice would you give to people?" What do you think you would say?

- Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- That life is too short to make every mistake yourself and that you have to learn from mistakes as well.

Hope that helps! :mickey:

Dracula766
12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Here's mine;

"I'd rather be wierd and interesting than normal and boring" :goof:

and

"If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself"
Sadly, this one proves itself to be true way to often. :rolleyes:

jillluvsdisney
12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Pick your battles wisely. I use this at work. A lot of things that upset us in the heat of the moment are just are not worth getting angry about.

Learn to let things go. If someone hurts you, carrying that grudge just lets them hurt you all over again.

Be grateful for what you have in life. Remind yourself, daily, what you are thankful for and chances are you will not feel as stressed, depressed or angry. This really works for me.

Look at the situation from the other person's perspective. This also comes in handy during trouble on the job.

PlutoToo
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I love to collect quips and quotes. I think i have over 50 pages of them. :blush: But my Favorite ones are:

Life is a voyage in which we choose neither the vessel nor the weather,
But much can be done in the management of the sails and the guidance of the helm.

My best advise to someone younger than I would be, attitude is everything.

Two men look out through the same bars,
One sees the mud, and one the stars.

crazypoohbear
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I tell my kids
Is it really going to matter in 10 years????

Nate's Grandpa
12-26-2007, 09:19 PM
As a huge fan of Steven King let me add this to this excellent thread:

Be true.

Disneyatic
12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
"It could always be worse."
No matter what we are going through, there is someone out there that has it harder than us and I try to be thankful for the blessings that we are given.

I am not sure what advice I would give when I am 90?? Probably to be thankful for what you are given and to make sure that everyone you love knows that you love them.

princessjojo
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
A quick phrase I use with my kids and a lot lately when they don't want to do something or pick up behind someone else, they always say "I didn't do it..." I always tell them... "Well I didn't wear your clothes, but I washed them. I didn't sleep in your bed, but I made it. I didn't eat your lunch, but I paid for it, so just return the favor once and a while..."

RenDuran
12-27-2007, 05:31 PM
This post has kept me intrigued for several days....it's making me think about my life and what "rules" define me.

The best that I can come up with is do what makes you happy, even if it's an unpopular choice. You can't live your life for other people... time is so limited on this earth, that you have to go for what you want!

I also like the idea of treating others like we want to be treated. Remember that other people may have things going on in their life that we have no clue about. Sometimes when I encounter a rude sales clerk, or whatever, I have to stop myself from getting rude back! I had something happen to me years ago that made me extremely sad and, quite frankly, rude because I was so upset at what had happened. I realized that not everyone acting like a jerk is actually a jerk....they're just human and possibly dealing with life issues like the rest of us.

rt207
12-31-2007, 10:56 PM
"Everything happens for a reason"

Some people find that hokey, but I can point to so many things in my life that, if a prior event hadn't happened, the happiness I experienced at a later date could not have taken place.

Disney Doll
01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
"The world is my country. To do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

"To whom much is given much is expected." -JFK

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Desire to learn counts more than any other qualification and seriousness more than brilliance." -Dr. Rosa Cintron

#1 pretty much sums up how I feel about politics and religion. #2 Helps me remember how lucky I am. I work in education so #3 gives me perspective when things get hectic at work. #4 I adopted from a fabulous professor I once had. I share it with my students whenever I can.

starryeyes21
01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
My big quote to live by comes from a silly source. I say it all the time to my fiance.

"Do or do not......there is no try"
~ Yoda

Also this one

"There's a light at each end of this tunnel you shout and you're just as far in as you'll ever be out and these mistakes you make you'll just make them again, if you only try turning around."

julyjewel
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
One of my favorite mottos is from a poem...If I can stop one heart from breaking then I shall not live in vain- Emily Dickinson

If I were to give advice as a person in their 90's, I would say something that was said at my grandfather's funeral- Life is like a coin, spend it wisely because you only get to spend it once.

ncscgirl2005
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Live and Learn

snowflakegirl
01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
What a great and uplifting post to read through!
I spend a lot of time collecting quotes that mean something to me, and here are a couple that I've found have really meant something in how I try to live my life.

"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away".

which I've always taken to mean that the quality of your life and the time you spend enjoying it is just as important as anything else and that you should really take the time to enjoy your life.

I also really like "the highest form of wisdom is kindness" which is from the Talmud.

and "We have no right to ask when a sorrow comes, 'why did this happen to me?' unless we ask the same for every joy that comes our way."

rcaide
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Wow there are some great quotes here. The one I always tell my son and try to live by (even though I am not a doctor) is "First do no harm."

I am also partial to:

"Well behaved women rarely make history." :goodbad:

My all time favorite (believe me, I live by this one) "Never judge a book by its movie." :read:

I use to work with children with reading difficulties, I always used that quote to encourage them to read instead of just watching the movie.

offwego
01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Hmm..

I've always liked the idea of "seize the day" it just sounds so much better than plain old get up.

(though I often find Frankie's daily posts remind me to think of things I should think of more often)

Theres some May West stuff I kinda like as well. (I don't think we should take ourselves seriously all the time)

As for advice..I'd say live your life the way you think you should and choose what your doing don't just let it happen!

I saw a great interview with Will Smith where he talked a great deal about the power of choice. It was pretty interesting.

tinkwest
01-05-2008, 12:07 PM
1. I'm interested in hearing what words you live by... any adages or sayings that help you in daily life.

You are today
and will become,
the things that occupy your mind.

Along the lines of my "words to live by" - Make sure that kindness & generosity are what you dwell on, not meanness or negativity.