PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck is Amy Winehouse??

murphy1
12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm 40, so what do I know anyway, but who is she? I hear she is always in trouble, but is some musician, but I never hear her music on the radio.

pink
12-22-2007, 07:08 PM
She just started breaking out in America. However, I believe she is a very successful aritist in Great Britian I believe. On the other hand she seems like a very troubled lady and is heading down the "Britney Spears" path right now. Her husband in jail and she was just arrested recently but was released on bail. :mickey:

Pipalotta
12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Amy Winehouse is a bit of a trainwreck as far as her personal life goes but her music is crazy good. Her voice is very 1950's jazzy sounding. Her song popular in the US is Rehab. She is also know for having this crazy huge beehive hair do.

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey Shari, it must be our ages - I'm 38 - and I have no clue who she is either!

PirateLover
12-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Amy Winehouse is an extremely talented British bluesy singer/songwriter who has a nasty drug and alcohol habit and hangs out with the wrong people. You may have heard one of her songs over the summer as it became quite popular. It was ironically titled "Rehab." "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no."

SBETigg
12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm 39, and I know who she is! I read the gossip websites. I don't like her music, either. Very annoying sound. She sounds a little like a fifties-style Cher to me.

princessjojo
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
It was ironically titled "Rehab." "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no."
OH!!! So that's who she is. I'd heard her name a timeor so, and seen her face on some of the gossip pages a time or so where she'd been in trouble again and again, but I never paid much attention to WHO she was. I guess I just assumed she was some socialite who was bored with the rich life and decided to spice it up a bit.

Now I know. Thanks

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Amy Winehouse is an extremely talented British bluesy singer/songwriter who has a nasty drug and alcohol habit and hangs out with the wrong people. You may have heard one of her songs over the summer as it became quite popular. It was ironically titled "Rehab." "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no."Nope, still never heard of her. I guess I don't listen to the type of music she would sing.

SBETigg
12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Pete Doherty is another one always in the gossip pages, big in the UK but no one here except that he was with Kate Moss when she was caught using cocaine and he has been in the tabloid/gossip websites for his own drug problems ever since. He sings with a band called Babyshambles, which gets no airplay here, and he's really unattractive, messed up, and a friend of Amy Winehouse.

Womble
12-23-2007, 04:24 AM
I would think 99% of the UK would know Amy Winehouse is a singer;
She is very popular in the UK and Europe; And makes the UK press on a very regular basis, not always for good reasons!!

Amy Winehouse is an English singer/song writer. Born and educated in London attending schools for musically/artistically talented children.
She released her first album in 2003 named “Frank”. It was when her second album in 2006 “Back to Black” and the single “Rehab” was released she really came to the publics attention.

Amy has/had problems with eating disorders, self-harm, depression, alcohol and illegal drugs; a long sad list for a 24 year old!

The Reservoir Dog
12-24-2007, 04:47 PM
She is nothing to get excited about. A very mediocre singer/songwriter. Just another with a whole lot of attitude and self importance.

Avoid!

Shugoondola
12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I have no clue who she is, either. :shrug:

:tree: Merry Christmas!

:grinch:

Womble
12-26-2007, 07:26 AM
She is nothing to get excited about.
That may be correct. She is only a pop star.

A very mediocre singer/songwriter.
I’d disagree with that. Having heard her sing live she has a very strong, good voice. I’d like to be “mediocre” and win 2 Ivor Novello awards for writing 2 different songs and win a cabinet full of awards for only writing 2 albums.

Just another with a whole lot of attitude and self importance.
Avoid!

Avoid! Did not do that.
I met her at a party; she did not come over as a person with “a whole lot of attitude” or the being of “self importance”. Which I must admit, I did expect her to be!
If anything she appeared to me to be a sad person with a lot of problems.

The Reservoir Dog
12-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Avoid! Did not do that.
I met her at a party; she did not come over as a person with “a whole lot of attitude” or the being of “self importance”. Which I must admit, I did expect her to be!
If anything she appeared to me to be a sad person with a lot of problems.

Sorry there but no sympathy. The main fact that she has this talent but prefers to snort it up her nose or through her veins. There are plenty of us who have the world on our shoulders but we just get on with it but she's a "look at me" type person who will affict harm to hereself for attention but turn her back on the people who try to help her.

There are far more important people in the world than Amy Winehouse.

SBETigg
12-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Agreed.
But this thread is about her.

Yes, but all opinions are valid. I don't find her particularly talented or admirable, either. To each his own.

NotaGeek
12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
MODERATOR ALERT
The point of this thread is to discuss Amy Wineshouse, and I suppose, who she is.

PLEASE do not attack each other's opinions, and the facts of her personal trials and tribulations aren't really the point either.

FACT: Amy Wineshouse has 6 grammy nominations this year. Clearly, someone thinks she's talented ... she's selling her music.

diz_girl
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Pete Doherty is another one always in the gossip pages, big in the UK but no one here except that he was with Kate Moss when she was caught using cocaine and he has been in the tabloid/gossip websites for his own drug problems ever since. He sings with a band called Babyshambles, which gets no airplay here, and he's really unattractive, messed up, and a friend of Amy Winehouse.

Before I saw your post I was going to write that she's a female version of Pete Doherty.

prprincess
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Amy Winehouse is a bit of a trainwreck as far as her personal life goes but her music is crazy good. Her voice is very 1950's jazzy sounding. Her song popular in the US is Rehab. She is also know for having this crazy huge beehive hair do.Totally agree!