PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss the memo??

Puccaw
12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
IS MGM now known as Hollywood studios??

JPL
12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Well officially it is still Disney-MGM Studios until January 2008;) But yes then name is changing to Disney Hollywood Studios

dmosher
12-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I had heard this was coming, but I was hoping it would take a bit longer.

I would like to say I like the idea of the name change, but truthfully I haven't gotten use to the idea yet.

Hopefully, by the time we get there next year I will be use to it. On the other hand it may make it seem like a whole new place! Guess we shall see!
:pipes:
D

DizneyRox
12-24-2007, 06:45 AM
I had heard this was coming, but I was hoping it would take a bit longer.
Contracts are contracts, and licensing is expensive...

It will always be MGM to me...

Sinewiz
12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree, I've always called it MGM and I probably always will. ;)

DisneyGiant
12-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Contracts are contracts, and licensing is expensive...

It will always be MGM to me...

I know!! Hollywood Studios is such a mouthful!!

I guess it could be just "I'm going to Studios today...." but that sounds weird - especially, as there ARE NO STUDIOS THERE!!!!! :D

DisneyOtaku
12-25-2007, 07:59 PM
They can change the name to whatever they want, but that doesn't change the fact that it will always be MGM to me. Disney Studios sounds better than Hollywood Studios even...

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Yep - it will always be MGM. Just like it will always be Epcot CENTER.:smickey:

Bass T-bone
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, and as a matter of fact I saw them "whiting out' the old name on the water tower last week! :mickey:

2Epcot
12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Yep - it will always be MGM. Just like it will always be Epcot CENTER.:smickey:

My thoughts exactly ... The name should have been Disney Studios to begin with, but now they are stuck with it being called MGM, for at least a couple of generations.

Ed
12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
I agree with a lot of you; it'll always be MGM to me. :(

From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Disney removes old 'MGM studio' signs, logo

Scott Powers and Jason Garcia
Sentinel Staff Writers
December 31, 2007

The transformation of Walt Disney World's third theme park into "Disney's Hollywood Studios" is already apparent, though the park does not officially drop its old name, Disney-MGM Studios, until next Monday, with the full transition still months from completion.

Some signs with the old name have already been removed or painted over, including the one featuring the MGM lion trademark that had adorned the archway between the park's central courtyard and the Animation Courtyard. The "Earful Tower" water tower, essentially the park's road sign for traffic approaching from the south, also was painted over last week.

New park maps and merchandise with the new logo should start appearing within a few days, a Disney spokesman said. New "Disney's Hollywood Studios" signs should start going up Wednesday on and around the property, but some, including replacement lettering and artwork for the water tower and the archway, will take weeks to complete. Resortwide, nearly 500 Disney-MGM signs must be replaced, ranging from the giant one on the water tower to small ones at bus stops.

Disney announced the new name in August, saying it better reflects the company's determination to create a broader, updated image for the park, which opened in 1989. The change also will end a rocky, litigious partnership between Disney and the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. film company.

The park's new logo dumps MGM's lion and replaces it with the torso, arms and head of Mickey Mouse, who is holding a filmmaker's clapboard amid some simple, brown lettering that gives the whole image a retro-Hollywood look.

#1donaldfan
12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm sorry, but it'll always be MGM to me!!

PeterPan
12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Allow a contrasting sentiment...

I have always disliked and resented the "MGM" part of the name and logo. The MGM movie company never had ANYTHING to do with creating the park, or anything to do with anything remotely DISNEY. People were always confused by this. They assumed that either Disney had BOUGHT MGM (like they did ABC) or there was some tie between the two companies.

I have never called the park "MGM." I know it is easy to say - but to me, that is as far as it goes. Yes, it is hard to say "Disney's Hollywood Studios." No one will call it this, probably. I have always said "Studios" when referring to the park.

I have no problem whatsoever with the new name, and obviously have no problem with calling it "Studios."

LudwigVonDrake
12-31-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll still call it MGM :smickey:

disneymom2000
12-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I have always called it "The Studios" as well. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, one of the cast members at the entrance said to take lots of pictures with the name since it was being changed. I did.

Polynesian Dweller
01-01-2008, 01:02 AM
It was always the Studios for me. I'm with Peter Pan, there was very little MGM about it. Indiana Jones was Lucasfilm/Paramount, Star Wars was Lucasfilm/Twentieth Century Fox, Muppets were Henson/Columbia, Casablanca was Warner Brothers and so on. Disney material was the bulk of the rest (and now the Muppets as well). The MGM stuff was really Wizard of Oz and Singing in the Rain and a couple of other segments (perhaps) of the Great Movie Ride.

Given that list, the park already is more Hollywood than MGM and really always has been.