PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the bonus ending of IllumiNations

TracyL
12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
We saw IllumniNations about a week ago, and for those of you who've not been here at this time of year before, they add an extra ending for the holidays (as if the three endings that show already has weren't enough). The music is "Let There Be Peace On Earth," and it involves a lot of dramatic fireworks. I have always found this juxtaposition ironic, and this time I felt inspired to write some new lyrics for the song, to suit the occasion. I offer them for your amusement. It should scan pretty close to the original if you hum the tune in your head as you read.

Let there be peace on Earth...
...Right after the FIREWORKS show!
Nothing says "peace on earth"
Like SHELLS breaking high and low

The warm smell of sulfur...
Blinding blasts of light
No one gets to go to sleep
'Til after ten tonight!

Let there **KABOOOM!** on Earth
How better to mark the day
Than tripping all your car alarms
A mile and a half away
We'll shoot the fountains, salutes and comets
'Til all your eardrums blow
Let there be peace on Earth
Right after the FIREWORKS SHOW!

Maybe at some future INTERCOT gather at holiday time, we can all sing it together at the show.

:fworks:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Somehow, I found this to be more disturbing than amusing. I think in the post 9-11 mindset, it can be taken in a completely different manner than what you are intending. Try reading it again with that in mind and see if it still reads the same.

To me, the fireworks aren't just explosions and pretty colors in the sky. That's why Disney plays music as well, so that the two compliment each other (in addition to filling the show with less actual fireworks to reduce costs). The fireworks for Illuminations, in my opinion, tells the story of the Earth from the beginning until today. And each of the fireworks adds emphasis to the events that helped shape it (Big Bang, meteors, revolutions, etc). So I don't see just lights and hear the bangs, I'm seeing the history of the world being recreated.

Then again, that might be the CM inside of me finding the story in everything.

Ian
12-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I've known Tracy a long time and I'm fairly certain that she meant it for exactly what it is ... a humorous shot at the obvious disparity between the song "Let There Be Peace on Earth" and massive explosions filling the sky.

EPCOTExplorer
12-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Somehow, I found this to be more disturbing than amusing. I think in the post 9-11 mindset, it can be taken in a completely different manner than what you are intending. Try reading it again with that in mind and see if it still reads the same.

To me, the fireworks aren't just explosions and pretty colors in the sky. That's why Disney plays music as well, so that the two compliment each other (in addition to filling the show with less actual fireworks to reduce costs). The fireworks for Illuminations, in my opinion, tells the story of the Earth from the beginning until today. And each of the fireworks adds emphasis to the events that helped shape it (Big Bang, meteors, revolutions, etc). So I don't see just lights and hear the bangs, I'm seeing the history of the world being recreated.

Then again, that might be the CM inside of me finding the story in everything.

I think you took that a bit too seriously...Cmon.Its a joke.

Funny poem BTW>:fworks::fworks::fworks:

TracyL
12-22-2007, 11:15 PM
indeed - what Ian said.

Believe me, I do not lack for the pixie dust -- I am a central Florida resident, annual passholder, and unfailing Disney FANATIC. IllumiNations is one of my favorite shows in all of WDW - I've probably seen it at least a dozen times in the past year, and never get tired of it. Walter Cronkite's voice-over in this self-same holiday "fourth ending" of the show makes me cry. Every. Time.

It is simply, and only, how filling the sky with bright lights and loud noises seems like an odd way to communicate the concept of "peace on earth" that compelled me to create this little parody.

As Figment would say: "don't read it with your 'post-9/11 mind-set.' Read it with your IMAGINATION! :figment:

teamblackwell
12-23-2007, 01:47 AM
The best offense is a good defense and a good offense. Its a sad truth; most of the time(through out human history), peace comes after war.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh, I know it's supposed to be a joke and I read it with that in mind, and I wasn't trying to take it seriously. It just as I got past the first verse, it just started to interpret and register differently. The thing is that I know what it's referring to. I have no doubt that Tracy means what she put there.

But if someone else who didn't know what it was referring to read it or heard it (like singing it at the park), they would most likely get the wrong idea about it.

I mean, I applaud the fact that it went with the original tune.

Brownie54
01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
"But if someone else who didn't know what it was referring to read it or heard it (like singing it at the park), they would most likely get the wrong idea about it."

I respectfully disagree. I think almost everyone would see(err, hear) it for what it is....A very clever, funny, satire. I hope I am right. How sad if I'm not.