PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Week

Dr. Disney
12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
We are going down during the infamous 'Jersey Week," the first full week of November. It's been a few years since we were down during that time. Are the crowds really that much heavier?? Should we maybe go a week before or after? I figured those in Intercot could answer this question. Our dates are still flexible at this time.

Thank you all ahead of time!:thumbsup:

wendy*darling
12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
I think one of the reasons the "infamous" Jersey Week gets such a bad name has little to do with all the Jersey visitors...

#1- the Food & Wine Festival is very popular.
#2- Super Soap Weekend at the Studios is very popular
#3- Festival of the Masters, while not bringing in throngs of people, also draws in the locals that ending weekend.
#4- the weather is GREAT!!

Having all these things happen on the same weekend brings lots of people.

All New Jersey Public Schools are closed on Thursday and Friday at the end of the first full week of November (usually Election Week). Many schools also close for Election Day and teacher conferences- giving the kids the whole week off. While the teachers have their convention in Atlantic City, this is a great time for families to head to WDW- and they DO! :mickey:

My favorite moment during our experience was being asked by a CM not the usual "where are you from?", but "Where in NJ are you from?!" :D And everyone indeed, seems to be from the Garden State.

We found the early part of the week to be fine- fairly low crowds, nice weather, easy to see and do everything we wanted.

We found Epcot to be much more crowded on the weekend (Fri-Sun), as much with locals as with NJ-ites, for F&W.
I did not venture into MGM that weekend for SuperSoap- but I understand it is crazy busy in there. Great fun if you are a soap fan, but I am not.

I would not shy away from this week at all. Just be prepared for a busy end of the week. Do all the stuff you MUST DO early, and then enjoy the latter part of the week at a more relaxed pace.

MickeyMousse
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
We were there during Jersey Week/Soapstar Weekend/Int'l Food and Wine.....could they have packed any more into our stay? ;) I think Jersey Week was the least of the crowds.....:mickey: You could not go near MGM during Soapstar Weekend and Epcot was more than manageable and we were there 11/4-11/15. Enjoy!!:marg:

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
1) Jersey Week isn't all that bad.
2) Don't worry about the size of the crowds.
3) We have done Jersey Week several times, and it was fine.

JerseyDad
12-26-2007, 04:25 PM
...Jersey Week is the BEST time to be in WDW! Of course, that's my opinion...but since I'm from Jersey....that's all that counts!! ;)

....anyway:

As mentioned earlier, the weather is super....not too hot....not too cool. In fact, we've been in WDW each Jersey Week since 2004...and only experienced ONE...15 minute rain-storm....ever.

Crowds? What crowds?! Actually, again...as mentioned, the last weekend of the Food & Wine (& Beer) Festival is crowded...but only if you are at EPCOT. It seems to me that there a lot of "locals" that hit EPCOT that final weekend. By comparrison, we went to WDW twice in 2004...once at Spring Break...the other at "Jersey Week" time. The Easter Vacation / Spring Break crowds were 3 times as large as the Jersey Week crowds.

Yes, the Super Soap Weekend is at MGM Studios that last weekend...and the crowds ARE huge....but...a little secret :secret: If you don't drool at soap stars....then don't worry....since the rest of the MGM attractions have lighter than usual crowds due to everyone hanging out and gawking a those limited talent TV personalities. And...BTW...before anyone comments....I will always call it Disney MGM Studios.....it's a Jersey thing....just ask any other Jerseyite about the Garden State Art Center or the Brendan Byrne Arena...you'll get an earfull!!

....and finally...be sure to wear a big Dr. Disney tee shirt....so I can find you...when I'm down there next Jersey Week!! ::funny::

Disney Yankee
12-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Jersey week rocks!!!!

One other thing to add - the resorts start putting up their Christmas decorations!!!

JerseyDad
12-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Jersey week rocks!!!!

One other thing to add - the resorts start putting up their Christmas decorations!!!

....exactly!! It's...uh?...um?....oh yeah...it's Magical!! We always stay at POP....and one night we got back from the parks....walked through the main hall...and it was decorated like....POP. Next morning...we got up to go to breakfast, and the whole place had be Christmas-ized!! Musta' let loose a swarm of WDW Elves!! It was fantastic!!

I'm an engineer, and I love the way things "work"...but the way Disney gets stuff done around the parks without shutting down or inconveniencing guests...is fantastic!!

DisneyTeen
12-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I was there this year and was worried. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. During the week it was great, but Epcot during the weekend due to food and wine was crazy. MGM wasn't that bad during the Soap Weekend ride wise, but the park was packed.

Figgyluv03
12-27-2007, 01:04 PM
The one and only reason I would not going during Jersey week is that I'm sure I'll run into people I know. Not that I think everyone I know will be in Disney, but it's just our luck. We we were there when my brothers and I were younger, we were on the same ride as a couple kids from our classes back home, and then once we were in Canada, we ran into my of my neighbors and we didn't have a clue she was there. So, it's just my pure luck. Other than that, I don't think you should have a problem. I want to say that the teachers convention for 2008 is actaully th 13th and 14th, but I could be wrong.

DisneyGiant
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
The one and only reason I would not going during Jersey week is that I'm sure I'll run into people I know. Not that I think everyone I know will be in Disney, but it's just our luck. We we were there when my brothers and I were younger, we were on the same ride as a couple kids from our classes back home, and then once we were in Canada, we ran into my of my neighbors and we didn't have a clue she was there. So, it's just my pure luck. Other than that, I don't think you should have a problem. I want to say that the teachers convention for 2008 is actaully th 13th and 14th, but I could be wrong.

Yeah - that happened to us too! But we found that fun - such a shock to see a fellow New Jerseyan during Jersey week. LOL.

I also loved that some of the resort Christmas decorations were up. Its my goal to get to WDW one of these years during December........