PDA

View Full Version : Captain Cook's at the Polynesian

disneydoug
12-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Just returned on the 19th. We ate breakfast 5 times at CK in the Poly. The food is excellent. the new touch screen ordering takes a little getting used to, but was easy after the first time.

Generous portions of bacon compared to most resort breakfasts that we have encountered. The LARGE Mickey waffles were always cooked to perfection.

Don't forget to buy the refillable mug, you will use it alot.

There is plenty of seating inside and plenty outside. The weather was nice enough a couple of mornings for us to dine out side.

We didn't use the meal plan, but I saw the CM's being very helpful to those who were using it. They reminded them when they could get more food or drinks.

Doug

SurferStitch
12-21-2007, 11:12 AM
We only got breakfast there once, but it was excellent. I had a bacon, egg and cheese croissant, and the bacon was so thick and cooked perfectly! That refillable mug was a great asset, too.

They also had that delicious pineapple Dole whip machine....got to try my first one there, and it was wonderful.

wedway fan
12-21-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks for the post! we're poly-bound in april, and plan on hitting captain cook's for at least a few meals. (our last stay at the contemporary found us at the food court more than i ever thought we would be).

any reviews from lunch or dinner?

chamonix
12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
the grown up grilled cheese and the asian noodles are both yummy options for lunch or dinner. :thumbsup:

DDuck66
12-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Sounds great!!!! We are Poly bound in May and we actually left a few meals open so we will have to give it a try. Especially sounds like the breakfast is above the normal.

MyDisneyworld
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Even though we stay at other resorts we go here for breakfast just to get the Tonga Toast which is amazing. If you have ever had the Tonga Toast at the Kona Cafe it's the same but half the price. I also agree that the touch screens are very cool and seemed to make the process go smoothly once you learn how to use it.

javamama
12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I can't wait for the Dole Whips:)

TBone
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
On our last stay at the Poly, it wasn't too crowded, but it seemed that the flow through from the touch screens to the register wasn't quite right. My thought was that under crowded conditions it migh tbe very tough to keep order. Is that so, or did they make a change to the setup to make it flow better?

IloveDisney71
12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
We were there from Dec. 15th - 19th. We loved the Tonga toast!!! It was big enough for 2 people to share.
I also took advantage of the Pineapple Dole Whip machine - I used a few snack credits here at the end of a long day at the parks. Yum!

Jared
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
When my family stays at the Polynesian, we eat breakfast at Captain Cook's every day. It's quick, easy and acceptable. I wouldn't suggest anyone take a special trip to the resort for a basic counter service restaurant, but for hotel guests it's a boon, especially for people who don't need a heavy meal in the morning.

Polynesian Dweller
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I also would not suggest a special trip to go to Captain Cook's. It is a great place for a light meal or snack and is great for resort guests. But if you are coming to have Tonga Toast, I'd suggest Kona Kafe first.

I also found it a bit crowded and confusing. The traffic flow around the kiosks could be improved.

rj
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
We will have to try it on our next trip in a little over a month.

January-2007
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the review. We love this place for the 24 hour self serve Dole Whips. The seating is also really nice.

TBone
01-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Polynesian Dweller. I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the weird way that you have to go between the ordering screen, pickup and register.

I took a grad. course in simulation and modelling where one of our projects was to use a software simulation package to optimize traffic flow, either in a factory floor or a restaurant. It even figured out what rate people would "balk", by which it meant leave, if the lines where too long. It also showed where the bottlenecks were.

The only reason that I am mentioning that is that it seemed as though nobody did such an analysis before they remodeled. Not wanting to criticize without offerring a solution, I was kind of thinking of doing some free consulting to help the cause........

May524
01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
We ate there 2x at our last vacation. We weren't too impressed by Captain Cooks. My hubby disliked just about everything on the menu. We only ate there more than once due to convience.