PDA

View Full Version : Dec DL Adventure - Day 4 & 5

Lacy
12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Cast: Me (Disney-nut)
DH (Disney fan & first trip to DLR)

Day 4: Today was our last full theme park day and a non-Disney day. We enjoy roller-coasters so we planned a day at Knott's Berry Farm. I'll preface this by saying that the crowds at DL the last three days were decent and we knew this was the off-season, but we were not prepared for Knott's to be EMPTY. We got there before the park opened so we got to see their little ceremony with the national anthem at opening. When the park opened we headed straight for the 'hanging coaster' which was great and we were on the first ride of the day. We soon learned that every ride would be like the first ride of the day with absolutely no lines. So we rode everything we wanted to within 2 hours (and the back part of the park opened an hour later)! We were impressed by the Silver Bullet and the Xcelerator. However, we didn't enjoy the wooden coaster (very rough) and their new spinning coaster :sick:.

We went to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant for lunch and experienced the longest line of the day (by far). The fried chicken, biscuits, and boysenberry pie were great even worth the 45 min line. We then looked around their shops and got some berry jams before heading back to Anaheim for the afternoon/evening. We spent the afternoon relaxing at the resort.

We decided to go to DTD for the evening and I was able to convince DH to see Enchanted while we were at DL! The theater is really nice and I was shocked that it was cheaper to see a movie at DTD than at my local theater in Denver! This was my second viewing of Enchanted and it was even better than the first time. DH enjoyed the movie as well. We had slices of pizza at Napolini which were a tasty option for not much $. We got a few more souvenirs at the WoD and headed back to the resort a little early to pack and get to bed since we had to be at DCA by 7:15 AM for the Segway tour!

Day 5: This is our travel day so we knew we wouldn't get a full day in at the park and I was researching the tours and was pleased to find out that the Segway tour didn't require park admission. It was a great option for our last day! We met our two tour guides outside of guest services at 7:15 AM and they gave those of us with bags a locker that could be used the rest of the day. We then headed into a small room backstage to sign waivers and watch a video. The room and tour were full with 12 participants. A small continental breakfast was provided (let's just say I was happy I ate a left over piece of Boysenberry pie at the hotel). The video gave information about the creation of the segway and they went over all of the safety instructions. For fun, they asked us quiz questions....DH answered all of the ones about segways and I answered all of the ones about Disney :blush:

Around 8, we headed out to get on our segways. We spent at least a half hour getting comfortable riding them in the area back by Monsters and Muppets. DH and I had been on segways before so it didn't take us long to feel comfortable. It seemed that everyone else caught on quickly as well. We then rode around most the park with a few stops to learn interesting tidbits about the park. They also pointed out several hidden mickeys. My fav part was riding around the Golden State and Redwood challenge area. I really enjoyed just taking in the atmosphere of the park while it was empty and the segways were a lot of fun! We had a mandatory break back by Burger Invasion and then headed back. A Disney photographer met us in the area by the Golden Dreams theater to take a group photo with Paradise Pier in the background. We were off of our segways by 10 and got a pin and 5x7 of the group photo. The tour guides then swiped tickets for those staying in the park and said goodbye to those of us that had to leave. Overall, the tour was a lot of fun and worth the money (we saved 20% with the Disney visa).

We were sad that it was time to leave DL as we had a great time! On our walk through DTD to the car, I stopped at Marceline's to get some Mickey crispy treats for the road. On the way to the OC airport we made our first trip to In-n-Out. I can see why Californians say this place is so great!

I had a wonderful trip and I was inspired to get all of Disney Christmas decorations out once I got home! DH really enjoyed the trip as well and appreciated the more laid back atmosphere of DLR. He's even agreed to several more DL trips in the future :mickey:

NotaGeek
12-20-2007, 11:52 PM
It was great to read your reports, and I am glad you had a good time! Thanks for posting! :mickey:

tinkwest
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Great Reports!! Glad to hear that you may be planning more trips to the DLR. :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
12-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Best testimonial to Disneyland is to already be talking about future trips as the first one is just ending. I am glad that the two fo you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for sharing your reportds with us. :mickey:

dtootsie42
12-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Nice reports. My hubby and I are thinking of going in 2008, even though we live in Seattle we always go to The World, mainly because we love Epcot. Traveling east is the pitts so we thought we would try The Land.