PDA

View Full Version : Walts face in Pirates of the Caribbean ride?

Wells
12-20-2007, 08:55 AM
According to the Unoffical Disney Wiki ,
“One of the audio animatronic pirates on The Pirates of the Caribbean ride introduced in 1967 has Walt Disney's face. It was taken from the same life cast mold that was used to make the statue of Disney that adorns the central square “
Is this true? :confused:If it is, does anyone know where thie AA is in the ride?

btharvey
12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
... Ooohhh, I hope this is true! Can't wait to go back and examine each head-to-toe! Of course, those pirates have different makeup on, you know!

Sinewiz
12-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I'll be trying to find him on my next trip, :D

dteed
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Very neat, true or not I am sure we will all be looking for it next time.

JPL
12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I belive this is an urban legend. Hate to rain on anyone's parade

Buttercup
12-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I also think it's urban legend... just like one of the pirates in the jail cell (whistling at the dog) is supposed to be the comedian Sid Caesar (Walt's friend). It looks sorta like him, but everybody "official" denies that it's true.

PeterPan
12-21-2007, 02:19 AM
How does this stuff get started? There is NO likeness of Walt in the Pirates ride. Furthermore, the "Partners" statue was NOT created from a "life cast" of Walt's face. It was created by Blaine Gibson, an animator that was recruited by Walt to become an Imagineer and sculptor. He knew Walt personally, and was called out of retirement to create the Partners Statue just a few years ago. It was felt he could "get it right" because he knew Walt personally and so well.

#1donaldfan
12-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Nevertheless, it's a great legend.....!!!! Riding the rides and trying to pick out little "extra's" is what makes it so fun.....so what no pirate is made in the likeness of Walt, it will be fun just trying to figure out which one looks "even close" to him.......I just love finding out new and cool stuff.....:thumbsup:

JPL
12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
How does this stuff get started?

Welcome to the World of Wiki :shake:

As a teacher I go through this all the time telling students that Wiki's are not always the best source for information since anyone can add to or update them.

magicman
12-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Also, on the ride there is an animatronic of the second gunman behind the grassy knoll...really. ;-)

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.