PDA

View Full Version : Carrying littlest WDW fan on rides?

mickey&missy
12-19-2007, 12:40 PM
our littlest WDW fan will be 9 months for our next trip in March. I wondering what the best way to take him on the more tame rides is. I mean things like IASW, Peter Pan, Pooh, etc. My MIL and FIL will be along for the trip. MIL doesn't do to many rides and will take the baby for anything a little wilder. None of us are rollercoaster people. DH, myself, FIL, and the 2 older kids (5 and 7) will go as crazy as Kali but thats it.

I've thought about holding him, but he moves a lot at 6 months so I know he'll be moving more by March. I have a wrap thats about 8 feet of fabric that you wrap around you and then put the baby in several different ways. I've thought about getting a baby borjn.

I'm wondering what your past experiences are and what you would do.

Thanks everyone!

Please note: I'm not trying to start a debate on taking a baby to WDW. We have made a family decision to take a family vacation. I'm in need of helpful advice.Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
We took DS2 to WDW for his first visit when he was 9 months old. My SIL also took her youngest DD to WDW for her first trip at 9 months old. We both thought it was a great trip and very easy to take a child this age. My little guy was quite the squirmmer too at that age, but on the rides he was so amused he barely moved. There is so much to look at that your little one should be plenty amused and probably won't squirm as much as you'd think. We just carried him on and he sat on either DH or my lap. Have a great time and take tons of pictures!!!

Hayden's Dad
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I would say to just hold him in your lap. Just be careful on rides like Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and the Haunted Mansion that have safety bars make sure they don't get squished between you and the bar. We just lifted Hayden's legs over it as it came down and basically sat him on the bar while one of held him. Have fun

Goes4FastPass
12-19-2007, 01:29 PM
... We just lifted Hayden's legs over it as it came down and basically sat him on the bar while one of held him...
This sounds dangerous to the point I'm surprised CMs didn't intervene.
The kind of rides described sometimes make quick turns and an infant sitting on top of a lap bar could fall when the adult holding him is surprised.

Flower
12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Ben was 10 months when we took him and just before Our trip I bought a cheap Snugli carrier, it was less than $20 at Walmart. For most attractions you are okay just holding him, but the carrier was a godsend for standing in long lines, and especially when we were getting on the buses with 2 kids and a double stroller. Ben loved being in it too - he even fell asleep in it!

My husband and I both liked it because it was so light weight, and nylon so it moved really well. It was easy to fold and stuff in a backpack, and it easily fit underneath our stroller.

We have a Snugli by my side and I have never used it - whenever I would 'give it another chance' it pulls on my neck and I am currently in physiotherapy for 'baby arm' so the by my side just does not work for me. I was reluctant to buy something else and spend a lot of money when he would outgrow it in a few months anyway. I know some of the Bjorn's look bulky but they have great reviews.

milhouse
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM
We took out 15mo in May. I think the rides, Pirates, IASW, PP, Pooh were a breeze compared to the 3 hr plane ride. He got pretty squirmy in long lines as well and we walked him out of a few shows. All those 3D shows are a waste for real little ones, they won't keep the glasses on so everything's a blur. Despite all that, we had a great trip. Enjoy yours.

taradon
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
How about the Maelstrom ride in Epcot? I saw on one site that kids have to be over 3 to ride it, but that's the only place I've seen it. Will my almost 2-year-old be allowed to ride?

jclightchasr
12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
This sounds dangerous to the point I'm surprised CMs didn't intervene.
The kind of rides described sometimes make quick turns and an infant sitting on top of a lap bar could fall when the adult holding him is surprised.
I don't believe you are totally getting the picture here. First off the rides are slower moving secondly the lap bar is positioned low and inside the vehicle and enabling you to have a good grip on your child with both arms wrapped around the front of them while their back touches your chest. Third if the child were placed inside the ride car or facing the adult they wouldn't see the ride. And most importantly, most people don't place their childred in harms way and then knowingly tell people about it on the internet. There are those strange cases but I don't think this is one.

mickey&missy
12-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't believe you are totally getting the picture here. First off the rides are slower moving secondly the lap bar is positioned low and inside the vehicle and enabling you to have a good grip on your child with both arms wrapped around the front of them while their back touches your chest. Third if the child were placed inside the ride car or facing the adult they wouldn't see the ride. And most importantly, most people don't place their childred in harms way and then knowingly tell people about it on the internet. There are those strange cases but I don't think this is one.

:thumbsup: Thank you! :thumbsup:

Hayden's Dad is the last person who would put their child in harms way.

KAT1811
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I've thought about getting a baby borjn.

I'm wondering what your past experiences are and what you would do.

Thanks everyone!

I swear by my baby bjorn!!! We just took our three DDS to WDW in September and our youngest was 10 months and I loved the carrier. It made life SO much easier. I could securly hold her while bording rides and she was happy as a clam with mommy holding her. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one. The best thing is that you can hold them both forward facing or facing you. Then your little one can squirm as much as he wants and you don't have to worry about holding onto him because he isn't going anywhere!!!

P.S. - We took her on everything without a height restriction and she was fine.

How about the Maelstrom ride in Epcot? I saw on one site that kids have to be over 3 to ride it, but that's the only place I've seen it. Will my almost 2-year-old be allowed to ride?

We were on in September with no problem. I've never heard of an age restriction (with the exception of AE in the MK) Maelstrom is extremely tame, I can't imagine why they would have a restriction at all.

Have a great trip guys!!!!!

Hayden's Dad
12-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Hayden's Dad is the last person who would put their child in harms way.

Thanks guys I appreciate that, and you are right I would never put Hayden in harms way. If I ever felt that it would hurt him or another child I wouldn't suggest it.

My experience is different though I can't say my child is squirmy, so my idea may not work well for normal children, but I would rather have a hold of a squirmy child than have them sitting beside me where they can slip under the safety bar, or crack a tooth on it when you start bouncing with Tigger, and when they get scared in the Mansion.

cgriff
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Based on the title of this thread I thought it was about very small personal cooling devices...

Regarding the actual topic here I have no advice to offer, but i wish you the best of luck and hope that the tyke enjoys the rides and that everyone stays safe!

cgriff

mickey&missy
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Based on the title of this thread I thought it was about very small personal cooling devices...

Regarding the actual topic here I have no advice to offer, but i wish you the best of luck and hope that the tyke enjoys the rides and that everyone stays safe!

cgriff

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: LOL!! I never thought of that!

Goes4FastPass
12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
...most people don't place their childred in harms way and then knowingly tell people about it on the internet...

Actually people make very bad desisions regarding things like, "My ___ won't tolerate a car seat" every day." When was the last time you saw a child in an umbrella stroller on an escalator?

Once when I was younger and dumber, I carried my then very young son on my shoulders on the upper level of the National Air and Space Museum. A guard corrected me, "One wrong squirm and it's over the rail and 40 feet to the floor below."

The notion since parents love their children they always do what's best for them fits a Disney movie better than real life.

Dakota Rose
02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm glad to find this post! I was wondering if I could use our baby bjorn when we go next. Baby will be 5-6 mos old so I was hoping I could use it to hold her/him when we do the "tame" rides. I didn't use it with DS when we went w/him as a baby b/c he's always been a HUGE kid.

I did, however, get us thrown off a ride in Bug's Land in DCA. I let him stand in my lap (he was 9 mos old) while I held him w/my arm around his waist. I (and my mom) thought he was perfectly safe but I guess the CM disagreed. I've always been a "by the rules" girl so my DH howled when I got kicked off a kiddie ride.

wdw_bound
02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Baby Bjorn is the best thing ever!:thumbsup:

We used it more than the stroller when DS was 10 mos. He was a big and squirmy baby, and the Bjorn made me feel very secure. We went on most of the non-height restricted rides (except HM and SWSA because DD7 had no interest in scary rides).

I know the Bjorn is more expensive than other carriers, but it is worth it. We bought a couple of cheaper kinds for DD and never got much use out of them. I splurged on the Bjorn when I found out I was pregnant with DS, and it was one of my favorite pieces of baby gear.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Baby Bjorn is the best thing ever!:thumbsup:

We used it more than the stroller when DS was 10 mos. He was a big and squirmy baby, and the Bjorn made me feel very secure. We went on most of the non-height restricted rides (except HM and SWSA because DD7 had no interest in scary rides).

I know the Bjorn is more expensive than other carriers, but it is worth it. We bought a couple of cheaper kinds for DD and never got much use out of them. I splurged on the Bjorn when I found out I was pregnant with DS, and it was one of my favorite pieces of baby gear.

I totally agree. I had a Baby Bjorn for my younger DS and my DD. I had the original for my DS and the newer version for my DD. They are really great.

I used it for my DS when we took him at 5 months old. It was perfect for the rides. Especially rides like POTC when you have to step down into the boat. I liked not worrying about dropping him.

Your DS would be a great age to face out in a carrier so he could enjoy the ride and still be "strapped in".

Have a great trip!

fairies*n*fireflies
02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
We took our daughter when she was about 7 months old and I used a "Hot Sling" which is a fabric wrap that goes over one shoulder and the baby can sleep in it, be carried face forward, or placed in it to sit on the parents hip. It was a life saver! I carried DD on my hip in the ride lines and on the rides and this is so secure that I didn't even have to keep my arms around her if I needed a break. It definately didn't hurt my back like he snugli did. When she fell asleep i could lay her down in it and she was cacooned in it. Best thing I ever packed for my trip!

Lizzie
02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
We went with our 7 month old twins. And the baby bjorn was the best thing we brought. We took them on every ride with no height restriction. It was great. They slept in it and we so happy to be carried around in it compared to their stroller. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Especially if your using Disney Transportation. To have your little one in it on the vehicle.

javamama
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
We brought our dd last spring when she was 8 months, and didn't use a carrier/bjorn. We took her on Pirates, IASW, Haunted Mansion, and a few others. She was fine, dh held her most of the time(she's a dad's girl). Figure if your holding them it's usually what about a 3 minute ride or so--not terrible. It can be done w/out the carriers safely also.

Belle_0717
02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
DNephew was just one for our trip in Oct 07. His parents carried him on most of the rides. DH and I had him for Pooh and we took him to see MV3-D. No glasses but he liked the movie.

mickey&missy
02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
We took our daughter when she was about 7 months old and I used a "Hot Sling" which is a fabric wrap that goes over one shoulder and the baby can sleep in it, be carried face forward, or placed in it to sit on the parents hip. It was a life saver! I carried DD on my hip in the ride lines and on the rides and this is so secure that I didn't even have to keep my arms around her if I needed a break. It definately didn't hurt my back like he snugli did. When she fell asleep i could lay her down in it and she was cacooned in it. Best thing I ever packed for my trip!

I have a hot sling too. I've been thinking of bringing that too in case the carrier is too much. DS is a BIG boy. At almost 9 months he's about 23 lbs and off the chart for height. He wasn't a big newborn, 6 lbs 13 oz. He just grew really big, really fast.

I think I worry too much about these things...

fairies*n*fireflies
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I have a hot sling too. I've been thinking of bringing that too in case the carrier is too much. DS is a BIG boy. At almost 9 months he's about 23 lbs and off the chart for height. He wasn't a big newborn, 6 lbs 13 oz. He just grew really big, really fast.

I think I worry too much about these things...

The good thing about the "HotSling" is that is can easily be folded up and put in the diaper bag. Thats what drew me to it in the first place. Unfortunately my children are too big for it now (youngest is 3) or I would still be using it. She does still like to be carried though!

Jeff G
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
We took our DD who was 7 months and used a sling for her as well. This worked great on a few of the rides, for standing in line and even walking in the parks when it wasn't to hot. As mentioned is the prior post, the best thing about it was when we weren't using it we could fould it in the bottom of the stroller and it took up very little space.

Our DD rode a bunch of rides, as have all of our four kids at a similar age, including; POC, IASW, HM(Her favorite, she giggled the whole time), El Rio del Tiempo , Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White, JIYI.

When I first saw the title of this thread I too thought it was referring to a fan to keep you cool and just had to see what was posted.