PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for coughing

julyjewel
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I am still getting over a cold that I have had since Thanksgiving. There is a lot of junk I'm coughing up from my chest. I have been drinking warm liquids. Does anyone have any other remedies to break this stuff up. Thanks.:confused:

SBETigg
12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
If you're still coughing up junk from a cold over Thanksgiving, sounds like you might want to visit your doctor. It could be something serious that needs treatment. Coughs hold on a while, but junky coughs shouldn't last that long.

In the meantime, OTC meds like Mucinex might help and try some hot tea. :pixie: to get well soon.

thrillme
12-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes...The major remedy GO TO THE DOCTOR...chances are if you've had it for that long you're working on an infection.

It will probably "eventually" go away without intervention but...the bad thing is you could be fighting it for as long as three months or more.

Herbal tea with honey and lemon can sooth the cough.

Really hot and spicey foods can help too by breaking up sinus.

But going to the doctor is probably your best bet at this point especially if your mucus is green or yellowish.

SAHDad
12-19-2007, 12:33 PM
As others have said, visit the doctor. That long, without it clearing up, it's probably an infection.

Or, you can try what I have been told is a traditional remedy. Brew a big pot of coffee. Pour a cup, and add a splash of whiskey or rum. Drink. Pour another cup, but this time, add more whiskey or rum. Drink. Repeat, until you are drinking a mug of whiskey (or rum) with a splash of coffee. You're still sick, but at least now you don't care about it so much. :thumbsup:

Christine
12-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree...head to the doctor asap.

I did want to add that there was a newspaper article not long ago that said honey works better than OTC remedies. Try that if your doc says ok!

Get well soon!

DisneyDudet
12-19-2007, 02:11 PM
My grandparents swear by Whiskey and Honey. A tablespoon total mixed.

I swear by Deslym. Its in an orange bottle. The cough medicine doesn't taste like cough medicine! It tastes like melted orange popsicle.

But, really, if you have had a cold and a productive cough since Thanksgiving, I would suggest going to the dr. He may order a chest xray to be on the safe side, so don't panic if that is suggested to you. Have you been feeling ill, other than the cough? It could be some PND (post nasal drip or drainage), or it could be an infection. It could have started out as a typical cold or drainage, but evolved into a respiratory infection, which happens often. You really need to see your Dr since this has been going on a while.

Keep us posted!

SBETigg
12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Also, you probably want to avoid dairy. It increases mucus production.

julyjewel
12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Thank you for your ideas. I should have been clear. I had a sinus infection at thankgiving. I did the usual draining. I have developed this cough coming from my chest about 4-5 days ago. I haven't been coughing for a month just a few days. Thanks again.

DisneyDog
12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you tried Mucinex? It works really well.

RedheadWriter
12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
As others have said, visit the doctor. That long, without it clearing up, it's probably an infection.

Or, you can try what I have been told is a traditional remedy. Brew a big pot of coffee. Pour a cup, and add a splash of whiskey or rum. Drink. Pour another cup, but this time, add more whiskey or rum. Drink. Repeat, until you are drinking a mug of whiskey (or rum) with a splash of coffee. You're still sick, but at least now you don't care about it so much. :thumbsup:

My grandmother's old fashioned Portuguese remedy was a large Blackberry Brandy and a generous smear of Vick's Vaporub.

murphy1
12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree with everything Sherri said. I end up having to go to the dr. to get the stronger stuff, in fact I'm still taking it sometimes b/c my allergies are terrible. They might also give you a Z-pac or something to kick it out. But yes, going to the dr. you will feel better within a day or two. I hate that tickle that makes me cough, it drives me nuts, my cough got so bad that I was sore when I finally stopped coughing and had to take Motrin for teh stomach muscles that were aching. I hope you feel better soon!

disneydeb
12-19-2007, 10:36 PM
A few years back, I had a few bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis that left me with a cough for quite awhile. Coffee brandy helped me sleep.:cloud9: but did nothing for the mucous.:(

Good luck and see your doctor.

tinksmom02
12-19-2007, 10:50 PM
OK, I haven't tried this myself, but I've read about it a lot...rub Vicks VapoRub on the bottoms of your feet at bedtime and cover with socks.

Supposedly it will help clear up your cough.

Like I said, I haven't tried it.

TheDuckRocks
12-20-2007, 11:26 AM
OK, I haven't tried this myself, but I've read about it a lot...rub Vicks VapoRub on the bottoms of your feet at bedtime and cover with socks.

I just recently received an E-mail from a friend who had heard about this and tried it and she says that it does work. We are still trying to figure out why it would work, but she swears it did.

thrillme
12-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Don't laugh too hard but...I know cough or just a cold...my DS swears by Johnson Baby Magic Mentholatum (however you spell it) Bath. I have to keep this stuff well supplied in my house. My Dad's even started using it. It's not just for babies.

minnie-mouse
12-20-2007, 01:52 PM
See a doctor, if it lasts over 10 days, chances are you probably need an antibiotic. Good luck!

magicofdisney
12-20-2007, 09:12 PM

I just recently received an E-mail from a friend who had heard about this and tried it and she says that it does work. We are still trying to figure out why it would work, but she swears it did.

I got this same email. A very good friend of mine tried it and it worked for her. I tried it on my toddler but it didn't seem to work so well.

Those Vicks plug in vapor units are wonderful. I love to use those.

BrerGnat
12-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't laugh too hard but...I know cough or just a cold...my DS swears by Johnson Baby Magic Mentholatum (however you spell it) Bath. I have to keep this stuff well supplied in my house. My Dad's even started using it. It's not just for babies.

This stuff is awesome! I take bubble baths in it when I get sick too. :blush: My babies love it...really clears up the nasal passages.