PDA

View Full Version : Walking between Epcot and MGM

nanapop
12-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I've heard you can walk from Epcot to MGM.
Is that true?
Where do we get the path ?
Are there any other paths between resorts and parks?

IamaDisneyFan
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I found this that someone else had posted several months ago.

There is a walkway between Epcot and MGM/DS.

The walk takes around 20-30 minutes. The walk is paved/boardwalk, and the walk is along a waterway.

To walk along the path, you need to leave Epcot at the International Gateway located between UK and France. Walk along the waterway, heading towards ESPN Club at the Boardwalk. (You can catch the boat to MGM just outside the Int'l Gateway as an alternative; it can be quite slow however.) Continue walking along the Boardwalk Resort until you get to the Jellyrolls building. Take a left there, and there is a small sign for MGM. At this point, you need to be a bit careful because there are a few paths; one is a service entry for the hotel. The path continues along the side of the water and it goes past the pool at BW.

Tip: carry some water with you; there's not a lot of shade. You can get a cup of ice water for free at any CS place.

:ditto: what BronxTigger said! We've done it before and it takes about 20 - 30 min depending on your pace. When you exit from the International Gateway you will pass through a courtyard then the path narrows. A short distance down, you will have the option of going straight or turning left. You want to make that left and head towards the Boardwalk Inn. Stay along the water and you will eventually end up at the entrance to MGM. Interesting fact - the pathway and canal actually have a waterbridge. This is a bridge that is actually filled with water and goes over a roadway to allow boats to pass. It's located just past the Friendship Launch dock where the path narrows from the courtyard.

Hope this helps!!:mickey:

BeccaO
12-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Good info, I didn't even know this possible until I saw the question posted. Thanks!!!

medic9016
12-19-2007, 10:00 AM
We have walked it several times. It is faster than the slow boat ride. It goes from EPCOT international gateway to MGM.

DizneyRox
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
esides the walkway(s) from Epcot to Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Swan Dolphin and ultimately MGM there are:

Walkway from MK to Contemporary and back
Walkway from Poly to the Grand Floridian
Walkway from Poly to the TTC
Walkway from Wilderness to Fort Wilderness (daytime only)
Walkway from DTD to Saratoga Springs
Walkway from Swan/Dolphin to Fantasia Golf
Walkway from Blizzard Beach to Winter Summerland Golf

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there may be a few others...

JPL
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
It's actually about 2 1/2 miles walking distance

jakeybake
12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
We stayed at the Beach Club in August and walked to both Epcot and MGM but never from one directly to another. I know it can be done but could wipe you out a bit if it's one of those hot and humid times of year.

The walk from the Beach Club to MGM in August felt like a hike in the August heat!! Then again I'm not exactly the in shape, ripped up athlete I used to be!!!

Jay

MidnTPK
12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
It's actually about 2 1/2 miles walking distance

I think that estimate is a little off.

I just did a G-Maps Pedometer of the distance between the International Gateway and the turnstiles at MGM (DHS) and it came out to just under 1.3 miles.

SAHDad
12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Gmaps Pedometer puts the distance at about 1.25 miles, from Epcot to MGM. If I recall correctly, the route is this:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1504100

I seem to recall that last time we would cut through Boardwalk, but that's also where we were staying. Even with a quick layover to change diapers or restock the diaper bag, it still only took us about 30 minutes or so.

cperry92380
12-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Gmaps Pedometer puts the distance at about 1.25 miles, from Epcot to MGM. If I recall correctly, the route is this:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1504100

Thanks for the map... this really helps explain the route to all of us who don't know much past the international gateway area.:thumbsup:

JPL
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I think that estimate is a little off.

I just did a G-Maps Pedometer of the distance between the International Gateway and the turnstiles at MGM (DHS) and it came out to just under 1.3 miles.

I was going from the Monorail station area to MGM.

AwPhooey
12-19-2007, 03:16 PM
1.25 miles isn't that bad... IIRC, that's shorter than a walk around the World Showcase lagoon.

SAHDad
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
1.25 miles isn't that bad... IIRC, that's shorter than a walk around the World Showcase lagoon.

Nah, World Showcase is about a mile. It's essentially the same distance though. And the monorail station to the entrance at MGM came up as being about 1.9 miles, give or take a bit.

Now, when you factor in weaving around people in the parks (though the path is usually pretty empty), then yeah, it's going to take 30-50 minutes to hike, depending on how fast you walk.

ThanxForNoticin
12-20-2007, 06:46 AM
esides the walkway(s) from Epcot to Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Swan Dolphin and ultimately MGM there are:

Walkway from MK to Contemporary and back
Walkway from Poly to the Grand Floridian
Walkway from Poly to the TTC
Walkway from Wilderness to Fort Wilderness (daytime only)
Walkway from DTD to Saratoga Springs
Walkway from Swan/Dolphin to Fantasia Golf
Walkway from Blizzard Beach to Winter Summerland Golf

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there may be a few others...

I think you have a very good list. The only addition I would make is the walking/jogging path from Old Key West to DTD/SSR. It's a real nice walk to or from DTD.

Polynesian Dweller
12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
We love the walk to MGM. Besides the nice views all the way, its one of the quietest parts of WDW. It makes a great place to enjoy WDW and yet be away from the hectic pace for a little while.

Shugoondola
12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
We love the walk to MGM. Besides the nice views all the way, its one of the quietest parts of WDW. It makes a great place to enjoy WDW and yet be away from the hectic pace for a little while.

I agree with that 100%! :sleigh:

:santa2:

:grinch:

u-can-be-a-big-pig-2
01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a nice walk....I really enjoy checking out the other resorts along the way. We walked it in August (we were staying at the beach club) and my then 7 year old thought she was going to die because it was so hot, so take some wather with you and pace yourself. I prefer the walk over the boat ride....it was so stuffy on the boat ride and I felt as though I couldn't breathe. Have a fun time!

steveknj
01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Along these lines, are there any bus/boat/monrail links between all of the parks?

For instance, say you want to spend half day at Epcot and half at MK. Is there direct transportation between the two? Or from MK to ANY other theme park?

As we have no car this time around, we would want to minimize the time we would be "between" parks.

Scar
01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Along these lines, are there any bus/boat/monrail links between all of the parks?

For instance, say you want to spend half day at Epcot and half at MK. Is there direct transportation between the two? Or from MK to ANY other theme park?

As we have no car this time around, we would want to minimize the time we would be "between" parks.The answer to all of your questions is "yes".

Use Intercot's Transportaion Page (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/transportation/gettingaround.asp) for the best way to get around.