PDA

View Full Version : Our First Trip to DLR

Marilyn Michetti
12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Cast of characters:
Gramma Marilyn & Grampa Tom

Due to health issues, and caring for my elderly mother, we didn't think we would get to go anywhere this year, but decided in Oct., to go to DLR for three or four days. I wasn't enthusiastic at all to begin with because it just didn't seem that anything could measure up WDW the last 12 years. I gradually started reading more post's in the DLR forum, and started getting excited.

We flew into John Wayne Sun. morning on a nearly empty USAirway flight. John Wayne is not your typical airport - it's small, easily "in and out", and very cheery. My ECV was waiting for me, safe and sound, and we were on the curb withing fifteen minutes. The Super Shuttle wasn't around, and no sight of the DLR bus. We took a HC van right to Candy Cane, a short 14 mi. ride. It was a little expensive, but I just wanted to get there.

Candy Cane Inn is lovely. It's clean, the beds were exceptionally comfortable, and within walking distance of the park. ONE PROBLEM !! CCI, is NOT handicapped friendly. They couldn't accomodate me on the shuttle, so DH rode, and I "scooted". ( I beat the bus everytime). The sidewalk was very narrow, and only one place to ride off the curb - down by the pool. Most of the time a housekeeping trolly was in the way, so I'd have to call out, and wait for them to move before I could get off the sidewalk. No rails in the bathroom, and it took some fancy wheel work to get into the room. Also, no elevators, that I could see, but we were on the first floor, so I can't swear. If you're ambulatory, this is a GREAT place. There are safe's available in the office with a stiff penalty for losing your key, but none in the room.

Breakfast is served from 7 - 9 a.m., and consisted of cold cereal, pastries, bagel's, juice coffee, and hot chocolate. It got us moving, and was free. Only four tables in the dining area, so if you're not first, you can sit out by the pool.

Did I mention it was COLD !!!!! No rain, but not exactly "sittin by the pool" kind of weather. Lots of wind too - the fireworks were cancelled two of the four nights we were there.

We went to CA almost at opening, which is 10:00, and immediately headed for TT - I rode, Tom waited. Coming off, we met the Dream Team, and got super fast-passes for all the attractions in both parks. We didn't need them, so I have a survinour. We went to the first showing of Aladdin, and I've gotta tell you, it was AWESOME! If you're there, don't miss it - it's not a daily thing. Soarin was great, just like at WDW. I did the singles line, and went right past a "true" 20 min. wait, and onto row 1. Got off, and did it again, this time row 3. I never saw feet - a hood comes down, so it's a truer experience, and still heart pounding. It was too windy to do the ferris wheel, and I don't think I even saw it running the whole time.

After about five hours, we went over to the MK, and had dinner at Plaza Inn, a cafeteria type, really pretty place. They were out of the pot roast, so we both got the fried chicken, salad, and dessert, WAY TOO MUCH food, but we hadn't eaten since before we left Az., and were starving. We took about half of it back to our room, and later, found a microwave, and had the rest of it.

After dinner, DH needed a restroom, so I was sitting in Frontierland, and a couple of CM's stopped to say "hi". I mentioned that this was our first trip to DL, and after wishing me a "magical time" walked away, only to come back a minute later to pin a "first trip" button on my jacket. NEAT!

The rest of the evening was POTC twice, the parade - SUPER, and some shopping. By this time, it was mobbed, I'm freezing, and DH is starting to limp. (He's four years younger than I am, but in his 60's). Age limps on, so we went back to the room. He rode the shuttle, and I beat him back. When I'm not going at a pedestrian pace, I can do about 7 m.p.h., so it's not hard.

DAY TWO will be our full day at MK, and DDD.

*tinker_belle*
12-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Sounds like you are already on your way to a fabulous and magical time! Bummer about the lack of accessibility around the hotel though. Thanks for the report! Hope you enjoyed DLR:mickey:

faline
12-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Sorry your resort is providing some accessibility issues! Great start to your trip!

Alladdin is a fantastic show! I wish we had seen it more than once!

tinkwest
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Congratulations on meeting up with the Dream Team. And what a nice little bonus to get your "first visit" button from the CMs. Nice souvenirs and memories for you!

NotaGeek
12-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting! I can't wait to read more!

ChipnDaleGal
12-18-2007, 05:49 AM
I am sorry that you had some issues getting around at the Candy Cane. But I do appreciate you sharing your experience there. I will be staying there for the first time in April, so it is nice to know it is clean, safe, and close to the parks. Too bad Mother Nature was not cooperating with the temps and the wind, but it sounds like you had a nice start. Thanks for reporting.

January-2007
12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the trip report! :mickey: