PDA

View Full Version : You're not going to believe this...

Lightning McQueen
12-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Let me start by saying I don't think I've ever posted anything negative on these boards. In fact, I try to not even read negative posts. Call me naive, but I just like to keep a squeeky clean image on Disney World in my brain.

That being said, two things about my visit to Animal Kingdom this morning were very discouraging.

First, we rode Everest and it was my first time. I was highly anticipating this ride. When we got to the part where the Yeti is projected on the wall inside the mountain, it was also projecting a menu (like you would find on your computer, with options, tools, etc.) the menu box was just as big as the Yeti and practically ruined the whole experience.

But here is the thing that might really surprise you. We were taking our seats for Festival of the Lion King and a cast member (woman in her 40s) was telling people to move to the center. With a frustrated look on her face she said "those people aren't moving and i want to slap them accross their face." We were 2 rows behind the cast member, so it's not like it was under her breath. She said this so people could hear. I have never, ever heard of a cast member behaving like that!

Anyway, that's all. Had to get it off my chest! This was my first trip in 3 years. What in the world is going on at Disney!?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-16-2007, 12:52 AM
One word: Christmas.

I understand that it's supposed to be a happy season and it is. But it's also one of the busiest seasons at WDW. And it's getting stressful for all the CM's across property, myself included. I'm ready for it to be over. And if I never ear another Christmas carol in my life, I am perfectly content with that.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but to get back - I'm saying she was right and it shouldn't have been said onstage (I support the need for CM's to vent in the appropriate areas - offstage and out of Guest's view/hearing/lip reading).

Just pointing out that it's an all over issue with the season. We're all stressed out, overworked, and underpaid here. And yet, I still love it.

PirateLover
12-16-2007, 02:08 AM
The incident with CM is dissapointing but understandable. CMs are human too. But the Yeti projection incident is completely unacceptable in my opinion.Did you report it to anyone?

DizneyRox
12-16-2007, 08:57 AM
That CM should have been fired on the spot. There's absolutely no excuse. I 100% understand the reasons, but they are no excuse to be talking to (or around) guests like that.

It comes as no surprise to me. Again, this supports my view that CMs these days are a shell of whet they used to be. The standards have dropped to the level where a SSN and a pulse are enough to get you a job. Yes, there are still a few good ones, but more and more these low quality CMs are taking over, pushing the good ones out the door.

I'm more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Yeti projection than the CMs though. It's gonna happen. Had you mentioned it to the CMs on the way out, I would bet that if they had known about it, and it was fixed, you would have been allowed to re-ride without the wait or given a Fast Pass to come back.

Sunshine1010
12-16-2007, 11:34 AM
WHAT?!.....

No excuses - her actions were intolerable. She should be fired. Period.

I don't care if that happened at Disney World, McDonalds, a nice restaurant, a shoe store, or a dentist's office ---- NO ONE should say that. Period.

Christmas or not....unexcusable. Christmas or not....she should be terminated.

Dznygrl79
12-16-2007, 11:48 AM
While the CM's actions are unfortunate Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
It was so bad Friday night that I actualy had to leave the Osbourn Dancing LIghts because people where pushing and shoving and both my husband and I at one point where hit by a stroller or EVC (and not a light tap I have the bruise to prove it).
The Cast Member was probably fed up I know I was by the end of the week. If she had said it to a particular guest or directed it at someone I would say it required Corractive Action but seeing as how it wasn't at one person in particular I say she was fed up and most likely had every right. She is human, no one likes to be ignored and most people I saw this week where treating CM's rotten.

MickeyChick
12-16-2007, 01:27 PM
This just makes me sad. Maybe I'm naive but I still believe that WDW is the "happiest place on earth" and I'm bringing my kids there for a magical experience. Everyone wants the best view, everyone wants to get through lines quickly and get a good spot at the show but it makes me so upset that some people ruin the experience for others.

Is it too much to ask of people to keep their behavior and attitudes friendly and conscientious in situations where there are crowds? I know that pushing a stroller through a crowd is difficult, it's hard to gauge distances and people often stop suddenly and you accidentally hit them. I think most people would overlook it if you offered a sincere apology and a smile.

As far as the cast member, I understand the stress of big crowds but, working at WDW, what was this woman expecting? Was she going over to the people who weren't moving and letting them know specifically (rather than a general shout) that they needed to move? I hate the thought of someone losing their livelihood but crowds are a part of being a CM and she either needs more training or to be assigned to something else.

Wow, that's rambly.

tiaramom
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
"Cast members are not what they use to be "
I found several nasties on my last trip-
I had to report them , and Disney didnt respond. That makes it even worse.
A bus driver was so mean to a few older women- and a few teens. Real rude and abusive! A waitress at Port Orleans was rude and spoke under her breathe at us-
It was for an interesting trip. I do not feel it is right to treat others with a quick mouth and a cruel look. I give people the benefit of the doubt( bad days happen) .. but they staff at Disney isnt at all what I exspect from a magical place like this. Suffering on the cast members and they need a sprinkle of fairy dust and a swift kick of an - attitude ajustment.
I always treat my custmers with respect- even when Im tired and had it-
sorry about your experiences- I too can relate

BelleandtheBeast
12-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I love Disney World very much, but I have had some really bad CM experiences too. From them being flat out rude and saying things like that and one time I had 2 CM look right at me and when I ask my question they spouted off something rude that I could not understand and then just stood there ignoring me and my husband.

I had to rant too.

All we wanted to know if there were any reservation cancellations for the castle lunch. I have gotten in like that before and it was just a simple question.

Who knows, sometimes they need to take a day off instead of yelling at guests.

Here we go again...
12-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Let me start by saying I don't think I've ever posted anything negative on these boards. In fact, I try to not even read negative posts. Call me naive, but I just like to keep a squeeky clean image on Disney World in my brain.

That being said, two things about my visit to Animal Kingdom this morning were very discouraging.

First, we rode Everest and it was my first time. I was highly anticipating this ride. When we got to the part where the Yeti is projected on the wall inside the mountain, it was also projecting a menu (like you would find on your computer, with options, tools, etc.) the menu box was just as big as the Yeti and practically ruined the whole experience.

But here is the thing that might really surprise you. We were taking our seats for Festival of the Lion King and a cast member (woman in her 40s) was telling people to move to the center. With a frustrated look on her face she said "those people aren't moving and i want to slap them accross their face." We were 2 rows behind the cast member, so it's not like it was under her breath. She said this so people could hear. I have never, ever heard of a cast member behaving like that!

Anyway, that's all. Had to get it off my chest! This was my first trip in 3 years. What in the world is going on at Disney!?
I understand how you feel when you say that you like to avoid the negativity on the boards. I am the same way.
I wish you had gotten the person's name that made the remark about slapping people and spoke to a supervisor. This is not what Disney is about. There is no excuse, Christmas or just plain rude guests should not give her permission to make a statement like this.

(my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
It was so bad Friday night that I actualy had to leave the Osbourn Dancing LIghts because people where pushing and shoving and both my husband and I at one point where hit by a stroller or EVC (and not a light tap I have the bruise to prove it).

Please do not be too judgemental when talking about people in EVCs. I have had to ride in one my last 4 visits. I am only 44 and have heard some of the ugliest remarks you could ever imagine from people who think I am trying to beat the system. I am not a healthy person and hearing these things can be very hurtful.

It is a no win situation for us. If we go and bump into someone we are yelled at. No one looks down when they are walking so no one sees us. IF we stop short to avoid hitting someone the person behind us runs into us and yells at us for being an idiot and stopping in front of them.

I think everyone should have to ride in a wheelchair or EVC for 1 day just to see how miserable it is. I am lucky if I move 1 foot every 2 minutes during the busy time. NO ONE stops to help us get through.

Please be a little more understanding. I would take your bruises any day to be able to walk a week in Disney World. Forget the small stuff and thank the Lord for what you have.

DizneyRox
12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
... Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
I see this EVERY time I'm at WDW, sounds there's no difference in the time you go, middle of the summer, XMas time, or any other week. Still no excuse, that CM is hopefully looking in the Sunday paper for a new job.

DISNEYFIX
12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
One word: Christmas.

I understand that it's supposed to be a happy season and it is. But it's also one of the busiest seasons at WDW. And it's getting stressful for all the CM's across property, myself included. I'm ready for it to be over. And if I never ear another Christmas carol in my life, I am perfectly content with that.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but to get back - I'm saying she was right and it shouldn't have been said onstage (I support the need for CM's to vent in the appropriate areas - offstage and out of Guest's view/hearing/lip reading).

Just pointing out that it's an all over issue with the season. We're all stressed out, overworked, and underpaid here. And yet, I still love it.

Hi Jessica,
I was wondering how long it would take to break me if I were in your shoes!?!:ack:
I would think that people would see that dealing with the public, because we are idiots-:-oespecially on vacation, is not easy. Because we are never wrong nad our opinion counts more than yours.:ack:
So thank you for putting on a smile and careing when things aren't going perfectly.:thumbsup:

Crystal Palace
12-17-2007, 10:53 AM
While the CM's actions are unfortunate Guests this past week where downright rude and abusive. I know as a fellow guest I witnessed actions by others that turned my stomach. People cussing and screaming loudly in the middle of the parks, smoking in non smoking areas, ignoring cast members giving directions for parades, yelling at cast members for things they could not control, and worse (my vent here) people in ECV's and with huge battering ram strollers running people over and crashing into them without so much as a look back or a sorry.
The Cast Member was probably fed up I know I was by the end of the week. If she had said it to a particular guest or directed it at someone I would say it required Corractive Action but seeing as how it wasn't at one person in particular I say she was fed up and most likely had every right. She is human, no one likes to be ignored and most people I saw this week where treating CM's rotten.

I totally agree with you. I'm sure she was at her wits end. I was there in October, and I encountered plenty of people I would have liked to slap across the face! The amount of people who bump into you, push/shove you, and smack into you with their strollers without saying sorry is amazing! This is why I could never work there. I would have a nervous breakdown! While Disney parks are my favorite vacation spot, they are where human nature is at it's worst!:mad:

Sunshine1010
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Bottom line....her actions were wrong. No matter how stressed she was.

MMouse6937
12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm torn on this subject only because I really do see it from both angles. PEOPLE in general are more rude than they have ever been. I can't even imagine what things guests have said to CM because they feel entitled to things because they're on vacation. I also do know that when you spend the kind of money you spend to go to Disney it's a bummer when someone "ruins the magic" for you. To me everyone is human, and DH and I just try to be polite to people and treat people the way we would like to be treated and hope we get the same in return. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. There are rude people everywhere, guests and CM.

I'm sorry you had a rough day at the AK, hope the rest of the trip looks up!

castlelady36
12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I agree the CM was rude but fire her?...no. We all get stessed sometimes. How about when we yell at our own family members when we get angry? They still keep us (mostly cause they have too) but my point is we all have bad days and I feel for the CM's as I have seen by far worse behavior from guests that I would think about slapping too!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-18-2007, 12:57 AM
And holy moley...I did not realize the HUGE typo I made in my initial response.

I had meant to put that "I'm not saying she was right."

Can I be forgiven since it was 1 am and I had just gotten off of work?

I'll certainly say there are a lot of rough nights - I've had people yelling at me because we are out of stock on limited items (such as MVMCP shirts), cussing at me because I won't let them in the doors after the party starts, throw stuff at me (shirts, plush, costumes, food), snatch things from my hands, downright ignore me, pull stuff in my arms when I'm already holding more than Cinderella's stepsister's laundry, I've had kids kick me, step on my feet, punch my legs, slap my butt (not to mention their parents are LETTING them).

......wait, why do I still work there again? Oh, right. Things like meeting Kyle, Eva, and Hayden. Being the Fairy Godmother in Training, helping the couple who were just engaged in front of the castle get matching ears and comping them, finding the perfect costume for the little girls, watching Wishes every night, meeting people from all over the world, telling guests all about the little hidden gems of Disney, the trivia questions (of which, I like to think I am pretty good), seeing all the amazing costumes for Halloween, seeing Jack Sparrow every night during Halloween, and simply....magic.

murphy1
12-18-2007, 08:58 AM
I think this is a big part of why I just took a break from the world ( I grew up and lived there most of my adult life, too). Sometimes I keep thinking of how the place used to be and how maybe it's grown too big, I miss the old days. Snow white walked up behind me and my sister when we were kids and grabbed our hands and started walking with us, you just don't see this anymore. The CM was wrong to say that, I mean you may feel it, but don't be that way out loud, you don't make a lot of money, lady, I think you do it for the joy of Disney. You really don't see a ton of Florida residents wanting to work for the Mouse really, I admire those CM's even more b/c they know what's coming. I have been on both sides of the stroller issue, there are people who are rude on both sides, I always apologize if I bump someone.

Crystal Palace
12-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Bottom line....her actions were wrong. No matter how stressed she was.

If you had to deal with horrible guests 24/7 you might have a different opinion....

Crystal Palace
12-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I agree the CM was rude but fire her?...no. We all get stessed sometimes. How about when we yell at our own family members when we get angry? They still keep us (mostly cause they have too) but my point is we all have bad days and I feel for the CM's as I have seen by far worse behavior from guests that I would think about slapping too!!!

Exactly. It's so easy for people to say "Oh, she should be fired" but we all have days where we'd like to strangle people we work with, customers, etc. It happens to all of us, and would we be saying to ourselves that we deserve to be fired? I think not!

Besides, it's not like she was saying it to any one person.

#1donaldfan
12-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Why would she need to be fired for saying that???? Is that what people are about these days?? If she acted on her emotions, then yes, by all means, she should be fired. I can imagine that, that CM, at one point in her career has made someone feel very special at Disney. Just because you have a bad day and let something "slip"out, should your whole livelyhood be taken from you?? What ever happened to forgive and forget, or at least, just try to understand that maybe, just maybe that person had a very bad day...maybe it was something terrible at home that set the "mode" for the day....who knows, but I think that a little understanding and compassion goes a long, long way....I think eveyone has said or done something that they didn't really want to say or do.....mistakes happen everyday......understanding is what we need.

Sunshine1010
12-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm the one who said that she should be fired.

I'm just giving my opinion.

If I owned a business, and my patrons overheard an employee say that ....yes, she'd be fired.

If I was the patron who overheard her say that....yes, I'd want her fired.

This is my opinion.

To the person who stated that if I worked in a similar situation, I would feel different ---- well I have worked in it. Difference is --- I was a professional and I kept my mouth shut....no matter how irritated or stressed I was.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, which it seems I have. But, that's the way I feel. I don't condone her actions, nor will I be convinced that this is acceptable behavior --- even if the person was stressed.

To the person who says I need to learn to 'forgive and forget' and 'to have compassion'.....I'm a good person, and you are making it seem as though I'm not. I'm just giving my opinion on what I'd do in the situation.

Wow ---- if a teacher had said that, and a parent overheard it....I wonder if the opinions would be different.

Again ---- no offense to anyone. Merry Christmas!!!!!!

DizneyRox
12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Why would she need to be fired for saying that????
I believe that there is a passage in the Cast Member Handbook that explains the types of conversations that are grounds for immediate termination and possible legal action. This falls under that clause, so yes, i believe it is grounds for termination.

It's bad show for CMs to discuss "work" in front of guests. Bad mouthing guests takes it to a new level.

DisneyDudet
12-19-2007, 10:43 PM
If I overheard that statement, I would feel find the CM not in "costume" and report her. Now, I don't know if it is grounds for termination, as that would only be in the terms of hire and job obligations and requirements. If it did break a rule, then termination should be a possible recourse. Now, if this would have been a first offense, then I would think special training like anger management or remediation should be required.

Since being a CM in the parks is like being "on stage," I do believe there is a certain amount of professionalism that should be required of the CMs working face to face with guests. I agree with Jessica about there should be certain places for some "therapy" back stage, and far away from guests visual or hearing range. When you work with the masses, there are people who will irk you, and will get on your ever loving last nerve. Some people are just not cut out to work in "customer service" type jobs. We are human, and even I, as a nurse, have said things I shouldn't have in a patient or family member's presence, but that is my cross I bear, and I fully admit and apologize for it. There are some days that you say things because, well, you feel as if you are going to explode. I go behind closed doors and say things to other coworkers and such. You know, I've actually, really and truly, pulled out my hair because of some people!

While I am not defending the CM, I do know what it is like when you let your emotions and thoughts get the best of you. I highly doubt the CM has a long course of these types of outbursts, but I can see why she may have said it. Sometimes just saying what you're thinking really lowers your stress level! Either way, she should have been reported, and remediation should have been required.

As far as the technical difficulties on EE, I noticed a lot of things that haven't worked these past few trips, and it is really disappointing, but it is technology. In fact, the Yeti at the end didn't work at all during out trip in October. It was very disappointing. Again, it may have been something they were trying to work out, and since the ride was still working, they didn't want to close it down. That ride was down each day we were at AK in October, so, it is having issues already.

I sure hope these two occurances did not spoil your trip, or your vision of Disney!

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Why would she need to be fired for saying that???? Is that what people are about these days?? If she acted on her emotions, then yes, by all means, she should be fired. I can imagine that, that CM, at one point in her career has made someone feel very special at Disney. Just because you have a bad day and let something "slip"out, should your whole livelyhood be taken from you?? What ever happened to forgive and forget, or at least, just try to understand that maybe, just maybe that person had a very bad day...maybe it was something terrible at home that set the "mode" for the day....who knows, but I think that a little understanding and compassion goes a long, long way....I think eveyone has said or done something that they didn't really want to say or do.....mistakes happen everyday......understanding is what we need.

I agree with you. It's so easy to say "fire them" when they don't even know the situation. People need to get over it!

I am having a bad day at work right now. There's an old lady in the office who thinks she's above me, and constantly talks down to me. Well today I showed her a little bit of attitude because I feel she deserves it, and I'm tired of being treated badly. Gee...I guess I should be fired. I don't deserve a job and a way to pay my bills, right?:shake:

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Well....when you got snippy with her...did you mention that you wanted to slap her?

And, again....I'm just giving my opinion.

It seems as though I'm the only one who feels this way. And I'm going to stick by my feelings on the matter.

If someone is stating out loud, and loud enough for people to hear, that they want to smack customers....I think that's grounds for termination. If you don't, that's fine.

I've worked for an ambulance service for years....if you were a patient of mine, and you made me mad (because I had a bad day, or because you were ANOTHER patient who needed an ambulance after I did 20 calls in one day and I was tired), and you heard me tell my partner that I wanted to smack you........how would you feel? Would you be worried about my bills? ...or my job? Better yet.....if the patient was your child and you overheard me say that...how would you feel?

I never thought when I stated that, that it would start a debate. Aren't I entitled to an opinion?

DizneyRox
12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
In all honesty, I don't even think anyone's opinion really matters in this situation. There IS a code of conduct in the CM handbook, and this type of discussion is addressed. It's pretty cut and dry.

I don't give a hoot about what bills someone has to pay, how many mouths they might have to feed, or how good or bad their day was. They have a job, and they know the parameters of the job. If you can't function within those parameters, then the job is not for you. If you need the job, you need to follow the rules, otherwise, you don't have a job.

I'll be the first to admit that I have good days and bad days. I don't take them to work with me, and if I do get into a funk at work (which does happen) I know enough to NOT do something to jeopardize my employment. I have a mortgage to pay, and trips planned, etc. Those are enough to make me refrain from doing something I shouldn't. If I did not have to fear getting fired, I would probably be the only one working in my department.

EDIT: I'm not saying people can't have opinions, just that in this case I don't feel there is any room for debate. How we feel, etc is really a moot point. CMs are not supposed to badmouth guests, ESPECIALLY in front of other guests. This is the reason for the saying: "Have a Magical Day!" Said with a smile of course.

MMouse6937
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I've worked for an ambulance service for years....if you were a patient of mine, and you made me mad (because I had a bad day, or because you were ANOTHER patient who needed an ambulance after I did 20 calls in one day and I was tired), and you heard me tell my partner that I wanted to smack you........how would you feel? Would you be worried about my bills? ...or my job? Better yet.....if the patient was your child and you overheard me say that...how would you feel?

This CM wasn't dealing with a life or death emergency situation, it's a little different in that account. Again like I said I can see both sides. I do work with patients every day too and sometimes I do want to smack them, I wouldn't say that to their face, but I have told them that they aren't allowed to abuse me and say nasty things because they don't feel well or are having problems, I'm not here to be abused. Unfortunately CMs have to take whatever is handed to them and try to have a smile on their face, I can imagine that after hearing what guests have said that can be very difficult at times. I don't think she should be fired, but hopefully talked to and told that isn't acceptable. Like I also said before, I do believe that service has suffered everywhere, but so have the rudeness level of people too. It takes both.

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I know it wasn't a life-or-death situation. And, to be honest, 80% of ambulance calls are NON-emergency calls....meaning NON life or death situations. I wish I could tell you how many patients I've had that say.....my back has hurt for 2 weeks, my big toe hurts, I have a headache, my fingers won't bend.........here's the best one: "I've had chest pain for over a year and I suppose it's time to get it checked out."

Anyhow - back to the topic. I understand completely that people have good and bad days. I have bad days. I'm human. I've vented to friends, co-workers and family......but I have NEVER vented out loud in front of a customer/patient/patron -- whatever the case may be.

DizneyRox - I agree with you. If there is a handbook that states that such behaviour is not tolerated - then they should suffer the consequences. Period.

My husband is at work right now. He called me this morning venting to me about his people on his shift at the ambulance service. He's mad like crazy.....but he'd NEVER walk away saying outloud --- "I wish I could smack them". They would have his job quicker than you could think.

I'm sorry the OP had to deal with this behavior. I'm sure it put a thorn in her side for the day.

But - on to nice things. MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!!!!!! Let's smile!!!!

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
DizneyRox - I agree with you. If there is a handbook that states that such behaviour is not tolerated - then they should suffer the consequences. Period.

Wow. I would hate to cross you!

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Intercot seems to be the only place in my life that I'm 'spoken' to like this. Thanks everyone....

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Intercot seems to be the only place in my life that I'm 'spoken' to like this. Thanks everyone....

Then you're the lucky one. Perhaps that is why you have a hard time understanding why people may say things they don't mean out of pure hurt and frustration, due to rude people?

I'm done with this thread. It's going nowhere...

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Um, ...yeah....thanks for being so sweet.

Merry Christmas

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Um, ...yeah....thanks for being so sweet.

Merry Christmas

Yeah, you too. It was sweet of you to ask if I slapped my co-worker.

Merry Christmas as well. LOL

KAT1811
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Initially I am going to say that I hate it when threads get nasty, everyone has a right to their opinon whether or not we agree; it's one of the reasons this country is such a wonderful place to live.

I'm just giving my opinion.

If I owned a business, and my patrons overheard an employee say that ....yes, she'd be fired.

I do own my own business and I do have rules that my employees are expected to follow. In the event that one of them doesn't, the proper consequences are applied. We did have an incident this summer, that was inexcusable, and we had to let one of our employees go. Unfortunately, I really liked him but, business is business and he crossed a line. My employees are an extention of my company and represent us when we are not around, we expect them to behave in a manner becoming of a professional and if they are unable to do so then they need to find another place of employment.

I believe that there is a passage in the Cast Member Handbook that explains the types of conversations that are grounds for immediate termination and possible legal action. This falls under that clause, so yes, i believe it is grounds for termination.

When you accept a job you are also accepting the terms of employment so if this type of incident is outlined in a handbook then the CM knew well and full the risks of announcing their feelings and the consequences of doing so. Unfortunalty for some people rules are rules and are meant to be followed.

Well....when you got snippy with her...did you mention that you wanted to slap her?

And, again....I'm just giving my opinion.

It seems as though I'm the only one who feels this way. And I'm going to stick by my feelings on the matter.

Alas, you are not alone. That type of behavior is extremely upsetting and I would be equally upset. I don't pay thousands of dollars to hear Disney employees speaking to/about guests like that. Nor do I want my children exposed to that type of behavior.

We all have bad days, I understand that but, when we are at work we must acknowledge that there is an elevated expectation of restraint. If that employee wanted to go back stage and scream, yell and throw a hissy fit then by all means go for it but to behave like that in front of guests is not only rude but shows a general lack of class for her personally. I have had many customers/guests yell at me over the years in various industries and I am proud to say that I conducted myself like the lady my mother raised. I may have yelled and screamed all the way home but never have I embarassed myself at work.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Kat...I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Can you imagine what kind of life we'd have if no one held back their thoughts?......wow.

Thanks for the show of support. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!

Sunshine1010
12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
P.S. CrystalPalace - re-read the post. I didn't ask if you slapped them, I asked if you SAID you WANTED to slap them (the same thing the CM did).

Have a Merry Christmas

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
P.S. CrystalPalace - re-read the post. I didn't ask if you slapped them, I asked if you SAID you WANTED to slap them (the same thing the CM did).

Have a Merry Christmas

Sorry, I read it fast. No I did not. But she's a difficult person to deal with, as she likes to talk down to younger people. It hurts my feelings. Today was not a good day, but thank goodness it's almost over.

I really do hope you have a Merry Christmas. Sorry if I offended you, but I just can really identify with the CM at times!:blush:

Beast_fanatic
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure how this took such a turn as I don't believe anyone actually intended to hurt anyone's feelings, and nothing really appeared to be a personal attack, it just seemed that we had a difference of opinions. However, it seems this discussion has more than run its course, and I'm going to close it now.