PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride question

kathymk616
12-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I have been on this several times, but I don't know what the 2 "versions" are. I have heard people say they saw the gangster version, which I believe I have seen. I know a gangster takes over the car in a shootout.

What is the other version?

SBETigg
12-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I believe it's a train or bank robber, some sort of bad guy that you would see in a Western. We've ridden the Great Movie Ride a number of times and we've had the 40s style gangster every time. You do pass through the Western scene right after the gangster scene so if you look around, you could see how you the alternate scene might work out.

jray21
12-15-2007, 11:39 PM
It all depends on which vehicle you board on. The first vehicle does the western version (A bank robber blows up the bank with the tour guide in it, and hi-jacks the vehicle), and the second does the gangster version. You can ask to be in a certain vehicle and they will usually be able to put you on the one you want.

2Epcot
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
We ride The Great Movie Ride twice on every visit to the park. We always see both version of the ride each time ... Of course we don't leave it up to chance, and always make sure we get on the version we didn't see the 2nd time, by asking one of CMs.

WDW_Obsessed
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
My personal favorite is the Western version...but it seems like I saw the Western version almost every time I rode until the last few years when I've begun to see the gangster more than the western. Maybe it's just my imagination...Has anyone else noticed a trend in which they see more now or have seen more in the past? :wave:

chrisb26
12-16-2007, 01:14 AM
My favorite scene is the Western scene as well I think its great! I also usually make sure to see both versions when I go since it is different the way they are talking and all.

My personal favorite is the Western version...but it seems like I saw the Western version almost every time I rode until the last few years when I've begun to see the gangster more than the western. Maybe it's just my imagination...Has anyone else noticed a trend in which they see more now or have seen more in the past? :wave:

I notice this as well. I can get on and ride the Gangster version much more then the western version. I had to wait a few times on one trip. While we where waiting a CM told us that is her favorite also but they don't do it very often not sure why though.

Main Street Jim
12-16-2007, 08:47 AM
It all depends on if they're running two show vehicles, also depending on how busy the attraction/park is. If you load in the front vehicle, you'll get to see the Western scene. But since it hasn't been all that busy, most guests will only see the gangster show. I would assume that with the Christmas/holiday rush coming next week, they'll probably run both shows. If you've ONLY seen the gangster show, you'll also *ride through* the Western scene, but not stop.

kathymk616
12-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone! And here I was thinking I was a Disney expert. :blush:

wedway76
12-16-2007, 11:42 AM
The Great Movie Ride isn’t a “must see” for us, but we usually see it, and honestly we’ve NEVER seen the gangster!!! We have probably been on TGMR about 7 or 8 times over the years but I don’t remember ever seeing a gangster hijacking the car. :gangster:

We've only had a cowgirl or cowboy. :cowgirl::cowboy:

You would think that if they only run the cowboy when they are busy you would think we would have seen the gangster more often. Because our son is in school we DO go during busy times.

cfoshe
12-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I can say that I have only seen the gangster one. I realy do not remember going thought a western part. My last trip, I was not able to ride, so maybe my memory has left me. I will have to request the western one next time i go.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
We have never seen the western version. Only the gangster version. :shrug:

I guess I will have to change that TOMORROW when I go to MGM!! :mickey:

castlelady36
12-17-2007, 04:28 PM
We have seen both and I prefer the Western scene but probably because we have seen the other many more times.

Samtastic
12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were two versions. I always have the gangster version!

Does the western still end the same way--at the Indy part?

DawsonAR
12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
We have seen both and I prefer the western version, however it seems we usually get the gangster version. But that is OK, we like them both.

JPL
12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
A CM working the ride told me they cut out the Western scene most of time to save money since the Bank explodes so they often will hold up the 2nd car so they can run it through the Gangster scene as well. This is often why the longer is longer than it should be.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
:party: I didn't know about the two either...I've only seen the gangster one.

goofysbabe
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Well add me to the "I've only seen the gangster version". I thought I had heard there were two different scenes, but never had experienced it. Guess I'll have to make sure to try and see the western version.

BeccaO
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I've only ever seen the gangster one, would love to see the western one though. I love this ride, so it wouldn't matter which one I get.

wedway76
12-18-2007, 05:06 PM
A CM working the ride told me they cut out the Western scene most of time to save money since the Bank explodes so they often will hold up the 2nd car so they can run it through the Gangster scene as well. This is often why the longer is longer than it should be.

I had said earlier in this thread that I've only seen the Western scene (go figure).... :shrug:

Is there an explosion or fire in the Gangster scene as well?

mrsgaribaldi
12-26-2007, 10:28 PM
On 12/17 we requested the second version and got it. I love that one since we hardly ever see it:thumbsup:

Disney Maniac
12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I've also heard that when you're about to enter the queue with the big movie screen playing movie clips to stay to the Left is you want the Gangster Version and stay to the Right if you want the Cowboy Version. I don't know if that is correct but I went in the right line and got the cowboy version on my last trip to MGM Studios.

JPL
12-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Is there an explosion or fire in the Gangster scene as well?

The Ganster doesn't have the explosion special effect like the western scene.

kakn7294
12-26-2007, 11:37 PM
We've only ever had the gangster - and we have ridden in the front car. Last 2 trips, we've asked for the western scenario and have been told it wasn't running at the time we were riding.

Dave Wise
12-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I havent seen the western one in a long time. It seems the ride is not as popular as it once was, but they could still switch it up. The only difference in cost is the gas they use for the explosion. How much could that be? Course maybe it is not as popular because they put a giant hat in front of it.

Main Street Jim
12-29-2007, 07:55 AM
We've only ever had the gangster - and we have ridden in the front car.well, I suppose I should clarify a little better: there's two sets of vehicles, with two cars per vehicle. If you load into the very front vehicle, which loads closest to the marquee in the loading area, you'll get the Western. If you load into the rear vehicle, you get the Gangster version.

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 10:16 PM
The western scene is wayyyy cooler. The bank explodes and stuff! Everything still ends at the giant statue with the big jewel. (LOVE that part!)
The Alien scene is still my favorite. And yes, I do NOT like the hat in front of the Chinese Theater.
It's just like the wand at Epcot- an EYESORE!:ack:

kakn7294
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
well, I suppose I should clarify a little better: there's two sets of vehicles, with two cars per vehicle. If you load into the very front vehicle, which loads closest to the marquee in the loading area, you'll get the Western. If you load into the rear vehicle, you get the Gangster version.Yeah, I understood, but we have been in that front vehicle and still gotten the gangster scenario. Perhaps they just weren't running the western scenario at that time. I do know that last December when I asked, they told me that they weren't doing the western scenario that night. However, it was fun because we sat right behind our gangster and he was great! He picked on us the whole ride because I had on my Steeler stuff and he was a Ravens fan.