PDA

View Full Version : Disney Called to Talk DDP!

poeticeclipse
12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I forgot to let everyone know on here some insight that I received from a voicemail from someone from the WDWC.

A few weeks prior to that call I sent an e-mail to customer service explaining my frustration with the new DDP. The voicemail was so friendly and warm and the CM took plenty of time to explain things to me (even over a voicemail)!!

She told me the same thing we've all heard before... that the gratuity was added because that's what the guests wanted. She also said that since they've made that change they've had a huge back lash of people upset. Also, she said that the appetizer was taken off because of the "too much food" complaint. I mentioned in my e-mail that Coronado Springs will now not include gratuity in the CS food court. I explained that I felt that Coronado Springs will lose guests. She informed me that the decision to tax on gratuity for the DDP as Coronado Springs was a decision made by Spring Foods and NOT WDW. Apparently, Spring Foods runs the food court and not WDW.

In my e-mail I was quite blunt in explaining my reasoning behind why they did what they did. I told them that I felt like the appetizer was erased and the dessert was kept to keep costs low for the company. It's much cheaper to make a cheesecake that serves 14 vs. an appetizer that can't be seperated into parts but instead needs to be made from scratch right then. It saves the company time and money while the customer gets less of a bang for their buck. I also said that in all of the time that i've been on the boards here at INTERCOT, i've only heard about 3 people say that the DDP was just too much food.

I was very pleased with how well they responded to my questions/concerns. Two thumbs up for the Walt Disney World Company!:)

Polynesian Dweller
12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I think its good that you emailed them because I think a lot of us are unhappy with the new DDP. We won't be using it for our next trip because it just doesn't work out for us with the tip removed. I also would have preferred if you could choose which to have, appetizer or desert. I'd choose appetizer myself.

I have to say that I do think it is too much food. I do not eat that much at home and shouldn't there and I think there are a lot more than 3 Intercoters who think that from what I've read.

SignguyTom
12-14-2007, 11:19 AM
It's cool you got a call. I still need to e-mail my frustrations. I would be pretty much contented if there were a choice given between appetizer & dessert. I'm not a big sweets fan and my MIL is diabetic. The choice would go a long way, for us at least, toward making the DDP a bit more fun again. :eat:

jakeybake
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Good for you for speaking up, that's great!

I think your points spoke for all of us. I loved the DDP exactly how it was. And even if it felt like too much food, who cares? I don't think most people complain when they get more than what they paid for.

Thanks again for being our spokesperson!!

Jay

TheRustyScupper
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
. . . She told me the same thing we've all heard before... that the gratuity was added because that's what the guests wanted . . .

1) I guess "spin" is everywhere.
2) The real reason is that it was in union negotiations.
3) Servers did not want the DDP tips on the check.
4) It reduced their take-home pay significantly.

poeticeclipse
12-14-2007, 01:22 PM
1) I guess "spin" is everywhere.
2) The real reason is that it was in union negotiations.
3) Servers did not want the DDP tips on the check.
4) It reduced their take-home pay significantly.

I thought about that as well. I remember hearing that and I probably should have mentioned it in my e-mail. Maybe I should still give her a call back even though it's been a few weeks since I got her voicemail. It's always fun to hear information from a CM whether it be sugar coated or not.

Hammer
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought about that as well. I remember hearing that and I probably should have mentioned it in my e-mail. Maybe I should still give her a call back even though it's been a few weeks since I got her voicemail. It's always fun to hear information from a CM whether it be sugar coated or not.

Another reason this was changed was due to the fact that Disney allowed for the non-Disney owned restaurants on the Dining Plan to not give the full 18% which they received (minus tips). They would give the staff 18% of the discounted amount they received from Disney. So if the restaurant received $24.50 for each table service credit, these restaurants was giving the server 18% of 24.50, which was then taxed. The staffer would end up getting about $5 per person on the Dining Plan, which is much less than the 18% of the bill. Disney allowed these restaurants to pocket the difference. When the union tried to change that, Disney (and these restaurants) balked at the idea. Disney, of course, doesn't want people to know about this. It was much easier to put all the blame on the union. Disney is culpable as well.

I wrote an email to WDW as well asking why they allowed this practice. I also questioned if the restaurants which will be receiving an 18% gratuity for DDE patrons were giving the full 18% of the tip (minus taxes) to the wait staff. I'm still waiting for a response. I'm not going to hold my breath.

JPL
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Also, she said that the appetizer was taken off because of the "too much food" complaint.

First off who complains about it being too much food :confused:

Last time I checked The server didn't force you to order an appetizer or a dessert. It was done for the simple reason of cutting costs and raising profits.

poeticeclipse
12-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Another reason this was changed was due to the fact that Disney allowed for the non-Disney owned restaurants on the Dining Plan to not give the full 18% which they received (minus tips). They would give the staff 18% of the discounted amount they received from Disney. So if the restaurant received $24.50 for each table service credit, these restaurants was giving the server 18% of 24.50, which was then taxed. The staffer would end up getting about $5 per person on the Dining Plan, which is much less than the 18% of the bill. Disney allowed these restaurants to pocket the difference. When the union tried to change that, Disney (and these restaurants) balked at the idea. Disney, of course, doesn't want people to know about this. It was much easier to put all the blame on the union. Disney is culpable as well.

I wrote an email to WDW as well asking why they allowed this practice. I also questioned if the restaurants which will be receiving an 18% gratuity for DDE patrons were giving the full 18% of the tip (minus taxes) to the wait staff. I'm still waiting for a response. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Seems like when the customers ask a question or have a serious complaint, going around the truth is the easiest way out.

Tigger&Stitch
12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
The original DDP was too much food for us too - yet we tried in vain to eat everything included to "get our money's worth".

We did like that the tips were included just for simplicity (and now we are not used to tipping, since there is no tipping here), but I understand the change if the servers were not getting their take.

I think it would be a vast improvement if they offered the choice of either an appetizer or a dessert - we would definitely choose the appetizer more often than dessert!

Crow
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM

the tips should go to the servers

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Just remember, legally, it cannot be called gratuity on the bill.

I'll just be asking the servers at buffets to bring my food to me since they need to be working for that 18%.

Dr. Disney
12-15-2007, 01:56 AM
When did the dining plan change????? According to the Brouchere from the web site, put together on 09/19/07, table service included appetizer and tip was included. Does this change start January 1st??? We're planning a trip in November and I LOVE the dining plan. But if they drop out 2 major components and raise the price, I will drop the dining plan!!!!:confused:

Here we go again...
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
When did the dining plan change????? According to the Brouchere from the web site, put together on 09/19/07, table service included appetizer and tip was included. Does this change start January 1st??? We're planning a trip in November and I LOVE the dining plan. But if they drop out 2 major components and raise the price, I will drop the dining plan!!!!:confused:

Go back to the Disney site and look at the 2008 plan. You must have been looking at the 2007 site...

For our trip in January it looks like we will be doing the dining plan anyway. We are eating at some expensive restaurants.

Is gratuity added to the check, or do we have to figure it out? I know I have to pay it, but I was wondering if it is addded in or if we get to calculate it based on service.

Dr. Disney
12-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Is gratuity added to the check, or do we have to figure it out? I know I have to pay it, but I was wondering if it is addded in or if we get to calculate it based on service.

I finally found the 2008 guide. It states "An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more." My understanding that smaller groups don't have the automatic gratuity added onto the check. Hopefuly people on the plan know that gratuity is no longer included!

I cannot believe that Disney dropped out gratuity and appetizer... but kept the same price. SHAME ON DISNEY!!!!! In fact, didn't the price recently go up a few bucks per night?? Appetizer plus gratuity is easily over $10 alone... Could even be $15!!! This really makes me mad:mad:. I am also going to write Disney and voice my opinion... where do I send it to?

MickeyChick
12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
This is my first post... hi everyone!

I just booked our 7 days in WDW at the end of January and did the MYW plus dining thinking it included appetizers and I was psyched and now I'm really disappointed. :(

wendy*darling
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Welcome to INTERCOT MickeyChick! :mickey:

I also wrote to WDW Guest Relations about a month or so ago, and also got a voice mail about 2 weeks later! I wish I had been home to speak with the CM who was calling. I meant to call back, but haven't had the chance.
In addition to the dropping of the appetizer and gratuity, but not much on the price, I was also expressing my confusion about eliminating the gratuity for the DDP, but adding it in for the DDE! Seems to be backwards logic to me. :confused:

She left a long message explaining the same details about the tip and the exclusion of the appetizer.
I think it is nice that they are listening and responding. I expect to see more changes for 2009- maybe even sooner. I do hope they allow a choice of appetizer or dessert sometime soon.

For my family, the DDP still makes sense. We are DVC, so we do not have to give up any room discounts or include our passes in order to get the DDP. We still enjoy the ability to pre-pay and then not worry about it while on vacation. And I have never felt the need to order more food than I wanted to eat just to get my money's worth. The plan does allow us to order and share a bigger variety of foods than we might without the plan.

PrincessEmmasMommy
12-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I think the way old way was the best. I remember several years ago paying about $40 per person per day and getting to use $55 for food and drinks anywhere for anthing per day per person. It was a much better plan and system. Now that my BIL is a CM and we are staying for half price in the room, I can't use it anyways. We plan to buy a Disney Gift Card or Disney Dollars to budget what we need for each day for next August instead. Thanks for voicing your opinions!
Jen

MickeyChick
12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I just spoke to someone at the ADR line (for like the 5th time in 3 days) and asked about the 2008 changes to the DDP and *she* said that you can choose an appetizer or dessert on the plan.

I like that as an option but I'm getting really discouraged that people don't really seem to know what's going on!

poeticeclipse
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I just spoke to someone at the ADR line (for like the 5th time in 3 days) and asked about the 2008 changes to the DDP and *she* said that you can choose an appetizer or dessert on the plan.

I like that as an option but I'm getting really discouraged that people don't really seem to know what's going on!

Oh my! I haven't heard that one yet! If they make this kind of change and don't inform folks, they're going to have some angry guests on their hands.

JPL
12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I think the way old way was the best. I remember several years ago paying about $40 per person per day and getting to use $55 for food and drinks anywhere for anthing per day per person. It was a much better plan and system.

This was the best inception of the DDP ever ask anyone who used it and they would agree. Just about every restaurant on property was on the plan since it dealt in cash not dining credits and most times at the end of your stay you had some money left over which the servers certainly appreciated since you controlled the tip. Why they changed to the new system is a mystery to me :confused:

Tigger&Stitch
12-15-2007, 08:58 PM
The plan will still be a good deal for us overall, and so we will use it next year. It may still be a good deal for a lot of people (albeit not as much of a good deal).

To figure out if it will still save you money, figure out where you plan to eat, and what you might order. Once you have a 2 or 3 sample of your trip, compare the price of meals out of pocket vs. the DDP. (And don't forget to add in a 15% minimum tip to the table service meals for the DDP calc!)

TheRustyScupper
12-16-2007, 10:32 AM
. . . Why they changed to the new system is a mystery to me . . .

1) Because WDW makes tons of money.
2) Most people do not get their money's worth.
3) It brings in unbelievable profits.
4) Now, they went one step further.
5) In 2008, they effectively raised the DDP cost 28%.
6) And, most people never even noticed or cared.

NOTE: People pay $40/day/adult. To not lose money, you must eat about $28 for dinner, and most don't. Besides, lots of folks use coupons for character meals or dinner shows, which a a real money loser for the guest. DISNEY KNOWS HOW GUESTS SPEND, and they eek out every profit penny - you would be surprised how many accounting analysts are at each location looking at trends and averages.

KAT1811
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I also would have preferred if you could choose which to have, appetizer or desert. I'd choose appetizer myself.

:idea: I agree I'd like to pick between the two. I'm not a big fan of dessert but enjoy appetizers.

I'll just be asking the servers at buffets to bring my food to me since they need to be working for that 18%.

:haha: Love it! I never really understood why a buffet server should be tipped the same as a traditional server. I always tip at least 20% and much more for exceptional service but half the work doesn't equal the same tip percentage in my book.

:welcome: To Intercot!!! I think you're going to like it here!!!

I sincerely hope that they institute a choice for people. If they had lowered the pricing of the dining plan (or even staved off the inflation rates) I might be okay with that but to take out the tip (which at certain eateries can be quite high) and remove a portion of the meal is insulting to those of us who are in the Disney know and completely unfair to those who aren't and think that they are getting a great deal.

The dining plan still works for us no matter what because it is just one more facet of the trip I can pay for before hand. I like the idea of prepaying for the majority of our meals and only having to worry about a portion of them (then the wine bill doesn't seem so bad and those drinks for the kids with the $4 ice cube). I guess we are the type of family Disney loves, we'll buy it anyway.

P.S. - It is not too much food for our family. We like the opportunity to try things we may not have ordered otherwise. I never feel compelled to eat more than I'm comfortable with. For some reason Disney and "money's worth" just doesn't seem to go together (with the exception of the priceless memories we leave with) but I love it none the less.

SignguyTom
12-16-2007, 11:12 PM
1) Because WDW makes tons of money.
2) Most people do not get their money's worth.
3) It brings in unbelievable profits.
4) Now, they went one step further.
5) In 2008, they effectively raised the DDP cost 28%.
6) And, most people never even noticed or cared.

NOTE: People pay $40/day/adult. To not lose money, you must eat about $28 for dinner, and most don't. Besides, lots of folks use coupons for character meals or dinner shows, which a a real money loser for the guest. DISNEY KNOWS HOW GUESTS SPEND, and they eek out every profit penny - you would be surprised how many accounting analysts are at each location looking at trends and averages.

From what I can tell, A LOT of people noticed and cared.

Depending on where you go for dinner, I think this is a pretty fair analysis of what the 2008 DDP includes:

CS Lunch: $6-9 entre, $3 drink, $3 dessert
Snack: $3-4
TS Dinner: $17-28 entre, $3 drink, $5 dessert

Totals (Low end) $40 (High end) $52

For $10/day, the kids 9 & under DDP looks like this:

CS Lunch: $5-6
Snack: $3-4
Dinner: TS $6-10 or Buffet: $11-14

$14 (Low end) $24 (High end)

It would be MUCH better (more fun) if there were at least a choice between appetizer & dessert, but really it's pretty easy to get your money's worth, as long as you stick with your TS meals for dinner instead of lunch. Families with kids 9 & under do even better, especially if they eat at buffets.

:twocents:

Samtastic
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
From what I can tell, A LOT of people noticed and cared.

it would be MUCH better (more fun) if there were at least a choice between appetizer & dessert, but really it's pretty easy to get your money's worth, as long as you stick with your TS meals for dinner instead of lunch. Families with kids 9 & under do even better, especially if they eat at buffets.

:twocents:

I agree. At first I was extremely upset. I love the old DP when I went last Jan, and we were planning a trip for this Jan. I was really :(. So then I figured I'd do some more research (into prices and want I planned on ordering) and calculated it all out. I still come out ahead. True I could eat as less expensive places and save money. But I want to eat at CR, LC, etc..and even if I ordered the lower end entrees I'd still come out ahead. I really enjoyed having appetizers since I don't normally order them, but I never finished all my food. This time if I really want one (or DBF does), like the sticky wings at Kona, we'll just order one to share. And evryone is so upset about the tip, but when I calculated my food spending, I didn't include it because I figure I'd have to spend it regardless. Now I'm just going to bring about $5-6 per dinner and my DBF will to, and we'll just leave that ( more of course if it's good service).

I'm not happy with the changes, but I'm willing to try the new plan, I'll make sure to report on it when I come back.

Rodders
12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I would be so happy if this was true. Everything I have heard on this matter said that this is not the case. I have the DDP and will be forking out extra for the starter and then probably not eating any desert. Without this choice it really devalues the plan.

steveknj
12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
The tip part doesn't bother me as much as them "taking" food away from the plan. Am I wrong in thinking that 15%, not 18% is the standard tip for normal service at most resturants? If that's the case, then forcing us to a 3% above normal tip with no guarantee of outstanding service is excessive. Plus as many have said, I generally don't tip that much at buffets as they are self service for the most part, but I usually leave a few bucks anyway.

The no appitizer irks me, but, I will be going with 3 adults and we generally don't order appitizers when we go out, it will be too much food, but with that said, for the same price, they ARE giving us less. If it is correct that you can do EITHER a dessert OR an appitizer, then what I would like to do (if possible), is buy one appetizer and 2 desserts (plus we are travelling with a child as well who NEVER finishes her dessert), this way we can share the one appitizer and the desserts.

Magic Smiles
12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=JPL;1494993]First off who complains about it being too much food :confused:
/QUOTE]
All the Canadians that I know! We would never do the dining plan as there is NO way that my family could even come close to eating all of the food offered on the dining plan. This last trip we had our first taste at what the dining plan might cover........dinner prior to the Candlelight Processional and there was no way that any of us could even come close to eating all the food that was included. We also did a dinner at O'Hana's........same thing. Didn't even taste half the food offered........just way too much food for us.

PetefromRI
12-24-2007, 07:54 AM
The old DDP was obviously a homerun for the consumer.We loved it and it was great while it lasted but I always thought that it was to good to be true.I still think it's a good deal but my only complaint is that it's not available to AP holders without paying for one days park admission.Until that changes we won't be on the DDP.

DisneyFan1979
12-24-2007, 10:39 AM
I always thought that as the tip was included before, many people felt the servers had less incentive to do a good job because their tip was automatic?

For our family personally, the DDP would only be worth it if it was free. Unfortunately, we've never been lucky enough to go during a free dining period. We just don't eat that much food. For 3 people at lunch (2 adults and 1 young adult), we often split 2 counter-service meals at lunch and we sometimes do a late sit-down lunch around 3:30 to break up the day.

I've always wished Disney would create a package that includes something like 1 character breakfast and 1 sit-down dinner. Just a little pre-paid splurge (for both our wallets and our stomachs) would be nice.