PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest, going backwards?

nadisnut
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I know Expedition Everest goes backwards, but for how long? My husband will get motion sickness if it's too long, and I would hate to leave him behind!
:ill:

DizneyRox
12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
It goes backwards for a significant portion of the ride. Total length is maybe 1/3 of the ride, it's a very fast portion of the ride though. It's a very tight helix, and it's somewhat disorienting...

Gibbs
12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
My DW is also prone to motion sickness. She rode it once, but won't ride it again because it goes backwards. The backwards motion lasted aprox 1 to 2 minutes.

WDWfanatic742
12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
It only feels like a minute or two. Looking at videos real quick, the backwards part is around 25 seconds long. However, it is without a doubt the fastest and most thrilling part of the ride because of the tight helix you pull going up and all the G's.

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
check youtube foir a video so you can see for yourself.

CAS
12-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it certainly made me dizzy. I'm prone to motion sickness also and it gave me the tingles in the tummy for a while. :ill:

But I do it again every trip anyway :party:

EJS-Houston
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't think the entire ride lasts much longer than a minute-and-a-half, so the backwards portion can't be 1-2 minutes...more like the 25 seconds cited by another poster.

MOJoe
12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
If your husband gets motion sickness on other roller coasters, then he should definately avoid EE. If it is just the backwards motion that bothers him, and he is willing to try it, i suggest you ride as far forward in the train as you can. The "back seat" becomes the "front seat" during the spiral descent, and gives you the greatest sense of speed.

MMouse6937
12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I also have motion sickness and found that the backwards part made me a little :ack: It didn't make me sick to my stomach, but gave me a little headache. DH wanted to go on again so I let him go himself, I didn't think going another time would be good for me. The backwards was not very long, but it has kind of a sharp dip at the end that made me a little :ack:

wedway76
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I have inner ear problems and I literally can get queasy sitting in my living room watching TV. I can’t ride any simulator rides. I can’t ride the teacups. I can barely make it through Dumbo. I can ride Rockn’ Roller Coaster, but feel awful when I get off. I had NO problem with EE. I found EE to be relatively tame by roller coaster standards, and I never felt the least bit queasy.

nadisnut
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info. I will have to give my hubby the bad news, that maybe he really should pass on this ride!

:sick::ill::sick:

Sounds like a great ride to me!!

DNS
12-15-2007, 02:10 PM
As much as I want to ride this, I have not talked myself into it yet because of the backwards part. Dizzy is okay, but I so hate to be nauseous and it doesn't take much with my stomach. I keep thinking I'll ride it last ride of the day, just in case, but I just haven't been able to do it yet.

WDW_Obsessed
12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I have riddden EE many times, but am slightly (very slightly) prone to motion sickness. I usually ride in the very first car or very close to the first. Then the CM's convinced me to try sitting in the very last car, and it made me nauaseas during the backwards portion of the ride only.:ill: If your hubby does choose to ride (it IS a fabulous ride!) I suggest sitting as close to the front as possible and keeping his eyes open the whole time. I also try to follow the track and watch it the whole time you go backwards. This helps me keep my equilibrium in check:thumbsup:

SBETigg
12-16-2007, 06:18 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info. I will have to give my hubby the bad news, that maybe he really should pass on this ride!

:sick::ill::sick:

Sounds like a great ride to me!!

I think he should give it a shot. The backwards portion is a very small part of the ride, not long at all. It's funny how differently people see this. I guess it depends on your perspective, but the fact is that it's a porportionately short time going backwards and you never know until you try. How about you ride it first solo and report back to see what he thinks based on your opinion? I know you don't want to leave him behind, but consider it a fact-finding mission and with fastpass, you can get on and out quickly.

Best wishes with it. It would be a shame to miss it.