PDA

View Full Version : We Sank the Boat!!!

Imagineer1981
12-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Due to the new popularity of the "Grand Fiesta Tour", formally El Rio de Tiempo at Mexico Pavallion, the boats are being loaded to the max. Well we had 4 adults in the front row, a VERY tight fit, and there were other adults in the rest of the boat. When we went down the little hill right after the dock, BOOM, the front end went under water and came back up....our legs and feet were soaked and the boat was flooded!!!!

Figgyluv03
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow, that stinks. I've never heard of that happening before. How long was the ride down for?

Imagineer1981
12-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Wow, that stinks. I've never heard of that happening before. How long was the ride down for?

oh, it wasn't down, it kept going with us in it dripping wet..the boat eventually came back up with a good 6 inches of water in the front row

airb330
12-13-2007, 12:45 PM
This happened on the Atlantis ride at Sea World. It was my cousin and I in the front row, and another cousin in the 2nd. The whole boat went under and we all got drenched. A little kid would have been terrified. I was only around 13 as were my cousins, so weight wasn't even the issue!

#1donaldfan
12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
That's too funny.......I'm not actually laughing at you, but for that to happen is so unusual, that the natural instict is to laugh......I think my kids would have loved that to happen to them......:mickey:

mook3y
12-13-2007, 01:21 PM
The boats seem pretty similar to those used for POTC.

We were ate DLR POTC when just after it launched, the right edge of the boat dipped under the surface of the water.

Its amazing how fast you can move when properly motivated. I was on the right side on the edge and lets just say only my right foot got wet as i promplty sat myself on a friends lap.

everyone adjusted to distribute the weight more evenly and all was well for the rest of the ride.

COuple of people were drenched on their right side.

Cast members said they would help them get dry clothes.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
12-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a new E-Ticket ride!

IloveDisney71
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow - I can't believe that happened.
Did the CM say if this has happened before?
I'll make sure I don't sit in the front row.

SBETigg
12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow! I can't imagine it. Yuck.

When I rode in August, there were no lines at all and we had the boat to ourselves. Are the parks crowded or has that one become more popular in the past few months?

poeticeclipse
12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh my!!!

I'm curious as well to hear what the CM did after! I would hope that they'd get you dry clothes or maybe fast pass for your trouble.

kakn7294
12-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I would be mortified! I'm glad nobody got hurt! My best friend just told me a few weeks ago that her sister witnessed a boat sink on a ride and the ride shut down for quite a while but she didn't know which ride. I assumed it was POTC but maybe it was this one. We too rode in August and had a boat to ourselves. I'm surprised that the CM's are overloading the boats - I'm sure it's probably a safety violation!

artyboy
12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Too funny!

TheRustyScupper
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
If you can't drink the Mexican water, at least you can wear it !

JerseyDad
12-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Due to the new popularity of the "Grand Fiesta Tour", formally El Rio de Tiempo at Mexico Pavallion, the boats are being loaded to the max. Well we had 4 adults in the front row, a VERY tight fit, and there were other adults in the rest of the boat. When we went down the little hill right after the dock, BOOM, the front end went under water and came back up....our legs and feet were soaked and the boat was flooded!!!!

....WOW!!! I'd be thrilled...and would call the Imagineers A.S.A.P!! You found a way to make it an "interactive attraction"!!:funny:

Jasper
12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
We had some friends go to WDW in September and then some others go in November (I think). Anyway, both of them mentioned that this ride was VERY busy even though everything else was what they described as light to moderate crowds. I suspect it may just be the fact that it is recently redone that people are checking it out.

WDWfanatic742
12-13-2007, 07:20 PM
The weight definately seems to be a factor. I was on the edge of the boat and could easily see the water line almost to the top of the boat.

Speedy1998
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I think part of the problem is that Americans are heavier than we were when the ride was originally designed and built 25 years ago. I hear that the original SM in Disneyland is going to need to be shut down to have the canel made deeper becasue the boats are bottoming out when loaded now.

McGoofy
12-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds like they need to hang the sign that they have at Splash Mountain on this ride now..."You may get wet!" :boat: +:crowd: = :swim:

Tigerinvestigator
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I used to be a Ranger and we would give pontoon tours on a daily basis. This occurence is very common and called "submarining". We would just shift the weight to the back of the boat to avoid this problem. If it's any consolation I have seen this happen hundreds of times and never seen one that didn't come back up!:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Sorry, but I had to chuckle! At least it's not deep so even if it didn't come back up you'd be able to stand up and get out of the ride.

LONESTAR
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I rode this ride on 11/23/07 and again on 11/30/07 no wait either time just walked right on.
We had the boat to ourselves and all set in the front I thought we were going in the water but we stayed dry.

cal5755
12-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow!! I am sorry you got wet. I am just glad it was not my family in the boat... I could just see my 12 year old... he is kinda high strung and I bet he would have abandon ship lol.

Von-Drake
12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
My son would have panicked at first and then probably have laughed and tried to kick the water over everything for the rest of the ride. But I can see his smiling/laughing face.

McGoofy
12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I could just see my 12 year old... he is kinda high strung and I bet he would have abandon ship lol.

My son would have panicked at first and then probably have laughed and tried to kick the water over everything for the rest of the ride. But I can see his smiling/laughing face.

My DS9 would have been laughing and asked, "Can we do that again?" Then in unison DH and I would have gone, "NOOOO!":mickey:

Disneypixie513
12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow what a bummer :/..I can tell you i would have been ticked..I don't like getting wet..unless i having a bathing suit on that is..

browneyedgirl12
12-14-2007, 03:58 PM
That must have been awesome. Although if it was me i probbably would've been mad especially if water got into my shoes and I had to walk in squishy shoes. :mickey:

murphy1
12-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I wish that had happened to us, instead they kept slamming us into the boat ahead, it was crazy!

DNS
12-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't think I would have been too amused if it happened to me. Mostly because of having to walk around with wet shoes and feet. But after all is done, it does make a fun story. We rode it in October and May and it wasn't very crowded. About a 10 to 15 minute wait. I'm really amazed they overloaded it.

MissMaryPoppins
12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
That's funny. I always wondered if that ever happened. Maybe they can add a Posideon Adventure ride next.

Joy :sail:

disneygecko
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh my gosh! I have never heard of this happening before. I hope disney cuts down on the amount of people allowed in the boats. I don't want that happening to me when I go back to Walt Disney World in January. It is not fun walking around in wet shoes all day!

EmporerStitch
12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah they stuck me and my dad in the front row in its a small world and again in Grand fiesta and we are tall like 6'3 for me and 6'8 for him so i had a nice chin rest...........my kneecap

....WOW!!! I'd be thrilled...and would call the Imagineers A.S.A.P!! You found a way to make it an "interactive attraction"!!:funny:

:funny::rotfl:i read that and about fell outta my chair

pixiesmimi
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
We have never been on this ride that there was a line or crowds. In fact, we have usually been the only ones there several times. I haven't found anything on this ride to demand a heavy crowd. I was pretty bored with it. I can't even remember a CM being there to load it even though I know there must have been. I can see how those boats could be overloaded though. When we were there in August on the new one, it was just as deserted as before. I imagine the sinking livelied up the ride. :)

Cinderelley
12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I think the crowds come in waves on this ride. When I was there in Sept. with my friends, we went in to ride it, but the line was really long, so we decided to skip it. We shopped for a little while (15 minutes or so), & I happened to come around a corner and see that the line was completely empty. I wonder if it has something to do with when the characters come out in front of the pyramid.

4ubie1
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I have had this happen before to me. There were four of us in one boat and the front end did go under but as soon as we were all sure that it was not going to sink, we all laughed. :laughing: We knew we stood a chance of getting wet when we get on a ride that has you riding on a boat and there is a couple dips. Oh well :shrug:

:offtopic: Side Note: I just read an article the other day that Disney is planning to deepen some of the older rides like IASW to accommodate heavier people. Apparently people are hitting the bottom of the channels now.:blush:

Imagineer1981
12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
What was really sad is that the CMs just kinda laughed and didn't care...must have been close to their break

peemagg
12-23-2007, 07:27 AM
One time that we were riding POTC the CM"S loaded the boat so that all of the rows had at least one heavy person on the right side. We rode the whole time with the left side almost completely out of the water and the right side drug the whole time. Really great sound effects :nope::down:.

Magic Smiles
12-23-2007, 07:40 AM
I think part of the problem is that Americans are heavier than we were when the ride was originally designed and built 25 years ago.
We rode the ride and had no problems at all. I think that Speedy1998 has hit the nail on the head with their statement.

dmosher
12-24-2007, 12:34 AM
That's so cool... you got to do Grand Fiesta Tour and Splash Mountain at the same time! I am so jealous! I liked the original El Rio de Tiempo and was afraid that the new ride would be a let down, but this gives me hope. I had no idea Disney was going to turn this into a thrill ride!?!
Very cool!
:pipes:
D

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 10:39 PM
I've had that happen to me on Pirates! Kinda funny, but definitely NOT expected! Side note- does anyone like what they did to the boat ride in Mexico? I miss the old one, like A LOT of things in Epcot. (China, too).:(

lulu'smom
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I would have freaked out! You don't know what all is in that water. Ewwwwwwww!

MinnieMommie
12-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow! Glad you are OK. Sounds from the posts that this may not be the only time this has happened. When DH and I were on the new ride we had no problem but again there was no crowd and no boat overloading. Since the boats have the potential to go under they need to be more careful with the loading of passengers and with the weight distribution. Hope they are aware of this. :mickey:

Darbylew
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Sorry that you got wet but glad that everyone
was ok. I have never heard of that happening
on that ride or any other one at WDW. WOW!
We were there in November and rode it but
thank goodness nothing happened like that. I
would have been very unhappy to be wet. :(