PDA

View Full Version : MVMCP Disappointment

Imagineer1981
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I went to the party on Sunday and I was actually disappointed. We were definitely excited to be there and even bought the santa hats w/ mickey ears but overall in my opinion it wasn't as good as Not so Scary. I think part of it is that park is decorated for Christmas all the time while Halloween is only for the party. Also I just didn't feel the shows and the parade were as good as Not So Scary. Not so Scary seems to really transform the park and there is a vibe in the air...and MVMCP just didn't have the same effect for me. It was still cool, but I don't think I need to do it again. Just one persons opinion.:mickey:

Camaro305
12-13-2007, 01:16 PM
While it's always magical to be at WDW at anytime, I agree about Halloween. We just got back from 10 days at the world on Sunday, our first time at this time of year. We usually go during Halloween, and have already booked for October 2008!

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree with you. We've done both the Halloween party and the Pirate and Princess party before we tried the Christmas party 3 weeks ago. I don't know that I'd repeat the Christmas party. We all felt the same. It didn't really feel different then being there any other night during the holiday season. The parade was fun., but other than that...And the fireworks were good too...but The Halloween party and the Pirate and Princess party had FANTASTIC fireworks. Esp. the P and P party. Best fireworks we have ever seen in our life. It didn't feel magical and transformed just for the partys, like the other two do.. I don't think we would do it again.

MMouse6937
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I've only been to the MNSSHP and I honestly don't think we'll go back next year. It was fun, but so crowded and I guess we're spoiled and not used to that much of a crowd ever. The fireworks were worth it, but not sure I'd spend the extra money to go again. Now, I would like to try the christmas party once, but I definately see what you mean. Thanks for your input! :)

DizneyRox
12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
If you're going for a party, the choice is easy, MNSSHP. If you're going for the season, XMas is by far the best time to go.

kakn7294
12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
We've been to MVMCP and P&P party and I have to say that I was disappointed in the MVMCP but alot of that was from the group we traveled with. To be fair, I'd really have to attend another one to say for sure whether I liked it or not. I really liked the P&P party though. We've never attended a MNSSHP.

DestinationWDW
12-13-2007, 07:39 PM
:yes::pumpkin: We too enjoy the Halloween parties more....don't know what it is...
The Christmas decorations are beautiful and everything, but there is something about MNSSHP we just LOVE. Unfortunately our 3 kids are at the ages we can't take them out of school for it :( so mom and dad might just get an anniversary trip instead.....
I felt the P&P parade was Disney's best parade yet!!!!:thumbsup:

Ms.Disney
12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I really enjoy MNSSHP I would do it again and will :blush: But I LOVE MVMCP:mickey: I didn't find it disappointing in any way. I do see what you mean about the Halloween party, they really do transform the park. For Christmas the park is decorated the same as it is during the day.

cal5755
12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I think I am glad we the the MVMCP first. We have plans for our first MNSSHP next September. My mom and I did have a blast at the MVMCP though, the parade/fireworks and mickeys night before christmas oooh and snow on mainstreet... and if that is the latter of the 3 parties I am soooo looking forward to next September. Now I only have 272 days to think of what the family will be dressing up as!!

Lessie
12-14-2007, 06:01 PM
We attended MVMCP last weekend and we were a little disappointed as well. It was our third time, so for us I think it was a combination of it not really being a "new" experience... and the weather! It has just been SO HOT lately that it doesn't even seem like Christmas is right around the corner. I just can't get in the holiday spirt when its 80 degrees, so that kinda spoiled it for us this year.

LizLovesDiz
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
We were also there on Sunday.I have to agree with you about MNSSHP,it is better!This was cute,and the trees that lit up red were awesome looking,and the hot chocolate was good,but Halloween was better !

Ian
12-14-2007, 09:15 PM
We just did MVMCP last night and we had fun. Both parties are pretty equal in my book. I think MNSSHP edges out MVMCP in terms of overall fun, but I am such a Christmas geek that just the atmosphere of MVMCP makes it worth the price of admission for me!

mrsgaribaldi
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Sorry you were disappointed. I've been to both and love them both. We are going to one on the 16th and it's going to be cold:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-14-2007, 09:41 PM
We did MNSSHP several years ago on Halloween night and as an added bonus there was a full moon that night!! Very neat...

But having done the MVMCP several time I would have to say it is our favorite!:thumbsup:
The decorations, parade and overall atmosphere are hard to beat. Or adequately describe to someone that hasn't experienced it.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Having experienced all the parties, I believe that MNSSHP is the best for activities, parade and candy but P&P has the best fireworks. Personally, I think it's because I am sick and tired of listening to Christmas music for the last 2 1/2 months that I didn't like the fireworks for MVMCP (which wasn't that spectacular) not to mention it has the longest (roughly, 35-40 minutes from first float to last), most boring parade ever invented IMHO and the P&P one is almost as bad.

As far as decoration for the parties, the decor for MNSSHP is the same during the day as well. Just none of the blow-up stuff (which is also at the P&P parties).

Costumes are better at MNSSHP and P&P (both Guests and Characters alike) with the exception of Belle's red dress at MVMCP (which is my favorite). Which leads to better characters being out for the MNSSHP and P&P - the ones are less common than those at MVMCP (or rather, the ones I like are out at the others).

The best candy is given at MNSSHP - a good mixture of all the favorites. P&P is just kisses and the MVMCP is cookies and hot chocolate.

My ranking for the events would be a close tie for first and second, but I'd say:

1. MNSSHP (went 3x, would have gone 4x if not for work)
2. P&P (went 2x)
3. MVMCP (once was enough, thanks).

GrmGrninGost
12-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Sorry you were disappointed! Having been to both, I agree MNSSHP is the better of the two! But, I was not disappointed in MVMCP. In fact, we'll be attending the one on 12-21 and I can't wait! I prefer to think of them both as being wonderful with one just slightly more so! Oh well, just MHO!! :santa:

lin555593
12-16-2007, 05:29 PM
:( We went on the 11th. This is the 3rd time we have done the party and will never do it again. It looked like Disney allowed more than 25,000 in that night. You couldn't get to any ride w/out someone bumping into you. It was the 1st time we took our niece and nephew and I was worried about someone bumping into them. It seemed to my husband that Disney did not enforce the wristband policy. I'm not sure whether or not we will ever go back during the holidays again. It seemed like all the parks during the 5 days we we're there we're all over crowded.:mad:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
as sad as it makes me that you were disappointed, it does make me feel a little better that we can't go. i waited (STUPID!) to buy the passholder discounted tickets for 12/18 and they sold out, and i just can't justify $51 for a ticket to a theme park i already have a pass to. I love Christmas (as does my DD) but I think I will just wait until I can better fit it in my budget (oh perhaps when I am not in school--1 more year!!!).

JPL
12-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I love MVMCP but will admit that MNSSHP is bigger bang for your buck because of the free candy :mickey: Next up for me is Pirates and Princess which I have heard good things about as well:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
12-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I think part of it is that park is decorated for Christmas all the time while Halloween is only for the party.I'm not quite sure what is meant by this comment, as the park (MK) is NOT "decorated for Christmas all of the time". Sure, we have Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square, but we do NOT have decorations throughout the park 24/7/365. Two years ago, they started putting up the Christmas decorations *at midnight* November 1 (*right after* we closed for the last Halloween Party), so that the Christmas stuff is up for more than two months. With the MNSSHP now starting in the middle of September, that stuff is up for almost as long as the Christmas stuff.

LOL...there's no such thing as an "off-season" any more with adding all of the P&P parties next year...

Carol
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree. I love the Halloween party much more than the one for Christmas. Although, I think it is fun and definitely worth the extra money.

I know what you mean about Halloween feeling more special. Everything is decorated for Christmas - it can be a bit overwhelming. Understandably it's a much bigger holiday to celebrate.

Halloween remains unique to the party event and just feels more 'special'.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Besides, there isn't a point in going to the Christmas party.

You don't even get anything special. The parade and fireworks run during regular operating hours between the week before Christmas until New Year's! 12:30 and 3:30 for the parade, and various times for fireworks so....you're paying extra for something everyone will see for the admission costs.

Carol
12-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Besides, there isn't a point in going to the Christmas party.Yes there is. Many people don't visit during that week because of the crowds. The events are not offered to the public until the party is done. Hence they pay for the hard ticket when traveling earlier in December.

PirateLover
12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Besides, there isn't a point in going to the Christmas party.

You don't even get anything special. The parade and fireworks run during regular operating hours between the week before Christmas until New Year's! 12:30 and 3:30 for the parade, and various times for fireworks so....you're paying extra for something everyone will see for the admission costs.

Well I can't very well see the special parade and fireworks if I'm not there that week!!!!
Also that is the most crowded time of the year. It's nice to go to an event that has a limited number of tickets and enjoy the shows without the mob feeling.
We've been to MVMCP 2x, in 2005 and 2007. We enjoyed it, but we have no other parties to compare it to.

lightyearfan
12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
well me and dw were just there on Sunday 12/16, and we thought that it was fantastic, the parade was awesome and we liked all the separate shows that they did as well

Victor

lightyearfan
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes there is. Many people don't visit during that week because of the crowds. The events are not offered to the public until the party is done. Hence they pay for the hard ticket when traveling earlier in December.

i couldn't have said it better myself, me and de totally agree

Taja
12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
We attended MVMCP on 12/13/07, and I admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed. The last time I attended was 2004, and they had some "street" entertainers in Tomorrowland, as well as the carolers in Liberty Square. A rather eclectic bunch, but fun to watch!

Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas was performed during regular park hours this year. I don't recall that in 2003 or 2004--but I could be wrong!

The crowds were comfortable on 12/13/07. I was a little concerned after reading that Disney was not enforcing the exit time for non-MVMCP ticket holders, but I didn't notice many without wristbands.

Will I attend again? Not sure. I still prefer MVMCP to MNSSHP (not a Halloween person), but I'm going on hiatus with WDW visits for a couple of years. Early to mid-December still is my favourite time to visit WDW, and likely will be the time of my next WDW visit. :)

DizneyRox
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
We attended MVMCP on 12/13/07, and I admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed. The last time I attended was 2004, and they had some "street" entertainers in Tomorrowland, as well as the carolers in Liberty Square. A rather eclectic bunch, but fun to watch!

Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas was performed during regular park hours this year. I don't recall that in 2003 or 2004--but I could be wrong!

The crowds were comfortable on 12/13/07. I was a little concerned after reading that Disney was not enforcing the exit time for non-MVMCP ticket holders, but I didn't notice many without wristbands.

Will I attend again? Not sure. I still prefer MVMCP to MNSSHP (not a Halloween person), but I'm going on hiatus with WDW visits for a couple of years. Early to mid-December still is my favourite time to visit WDW, and likely will be the time of my next WDW visit. :)
The past few years is when they started running the event parades and fireworks during non-event nights. I'm not sure why, I can only guess it's cheaper to stage it when it doesn't change from one night to the next, etc. It dilutes the experience for those paying more, to the point where I think it puts some people off from going.

For MNSSHP, you're paying in excess of $50 for a $2 bad of candy basically. With MVMCP would could set yourself up nice with cookies and watered down hot chocolate for much less than $50.

Overall value is declining at Disney, and these events party nights are no exception. Glad others are taking notice...

CaptSmee
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I too enjoy the Halloween parties better!

nellyj
12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
well, we were in the party on 7th dec. we've been before, but for us this time was dreadful. as others have said the park was heaving..bigger queues than during the weekend (1hr wait for peter pan !!). they stopped the cookies and hot chocolate at 10.30, so if you were doing your rides in the earlier part of the night..you went without. :mad:
the santa photo pass in main street shut at 11.15pm..so we missed out on that as our daughter wanted to do the late parade. they didn't have a sign telling you it would close before the end of the party..you just found out when you started to queue...we saw loads of people getting irate about that one.
and , finally , we saw soooooo many people not wearing bracelets , going on rides ....all night ! we won't be doing this party again. overall, the halloween one was way superier...and the fireworks and parade were out of this world.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Well....I was really hoping I was going to come home and happily disagree with this thread. But, I have to agree. I just got home last night (well actually this morning...had my very first delay with SW, only a few minutes though). We went to MVMCP on Tuesday night.

(Btw...It was nice to meet you Jessica!!)

I know crowd opinions differ but, I thought it was really overcrowded. We were there all day and it seemed much more crowded at the party. I loved the fireworks and the Twas the Night Before Christmas show. The parade was cute..It did not "Wow" me like the Boo To You parade. I only saw Goofy Santa and Reindeer Pluto at the dance party. We walked by Snow White and Prince since that was mobbed. We did not try to go on any of the rides since we were there all day so I don't know how the wait times were. We wanted to go to the party for the special events not to ride so, the crowds were a bummer for us.

It was only myself and two girlfriends. But, I think it would have been really hard to get around with a stroller if I had my kids with me. I am glad I didn't.

I do have to say that I was quite impressed with the bracelet checking. Even more so then MNSSHP. They were checking everywhere. When you walked into restaurants, waiting on line to get a Photopass pic of the Castle, etc. That was one big plus. The hot chocolate and cookie were okay.

I am glad we went. I would probably go again with the kids but, I would try to avoid a sold out night. Not that you can always do that.

I hate to say it but, I had a better time at MGM seeing the Osborne Lights.

Mickey91
12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm not quite sure what is meant by this comment, as the park (MK) is NOT "decorated for Christmas all of the time". Sure, we have Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square, but we do NOT have decorations throughout the park 24/7/365. Two years ago, they started putting up the Christmas decorations *at midnight* November 1 (*right after* we closed for the last Halloween Party), so that the Christmas stuff is up for more than two months. With the MNSSHP now starting in the middle of September, that stuff is up for almost as long as the Christmas stuff.

LOL...there's no such thing as an "off-season" any more with adding all of the P&P parties next year...

Hi Jim! First let me say that I am glad to hear you are back at MK.

Second, I think you just misunderstood the comment. For the MNSSHP there are special decorations that go up just for the party that regular guests don't see. At MVMCP, you see the same Christmas decor:snowman: that you saw during the day at the park:tree:. It takes a little out of the special party feel. And makes you wonder if the extra price is worth it since you see a good bit of the stuff during regular park hours.:sleigh:

:santa2:As for me, I'm going tomorrow night and I can't wait!!!:deer: Snow, cookies, hot cocoa, and the parade and shows!! Yippeee!!!!!!:santa3:

SurferStitch
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM
:( We went on the 11th. This is the 3rd time we have done the party and will never do it again. It looked like Disney allowed more than 25,000 in that night. You couldn't get to any ride w/out someone bumping into you. It was the 1st time we took our niece and nephew and I was worried about someone bumping into them. It seemed to my husband that Disney did not enforce the wristband policy. I'm not sure whether or not we will ever go back during the holidays again. It seemed like all the parks during the 5 days we we're there we're all over crowded.:mad:

We were also there on the 11th. It was a sell-out, but apparently only 20,000 tickets were sold. It was very crowded, though.

We didn't do many rides, but those we did do, the lines were minimal. Parade was great, and we love the fireworks.

We found the CM's enforcing the wristband policy pretty strictly. We were always asked to show our wristbands at all rides, character greetings, etc. No complaints there.

The parks were crowded the entire time we were there, so the crowds at MVMCP were no surprise to us. We were very surprised, though, that a Tuesday night party in the middle of the month sold out. We had never seen that before.

By the way....the hot cocoa was disgusting. Tasted like chlorine water with a touch of cocoa. I went to the bakery to buy a cup (the CM thought I was crazy when I could get it for free), and that was just as watered down.

Goes4FastPass
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I didn't see this earlier in the thread but since you can enter the park with a MVMCP at 4pm, one was to make it "worth it" would be to plan a day where you don't use a park ticket that day.

The last time we bought park tickets we bought 10 days hopping no expiration so by planning at day that visit no other park - or a water park earlier in the day means we can buy a MK 4pm to Midnight visit for less than a one day-one park usually costs.

We like the wooden soldiers in the parade.

Imagineer1981
12-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I was out of town for a bit and glad to see others share my thoughts...but I like to think now this is a challenge to Disney, how do you make MVMCP beat MNSSHP???

Zippy 1
12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
:party:We went to the very first party in November. I must say we had a great time. The cast members were very good about checking for event braclets. We waited about 5 minutes for the busier rides. We had no wait at all to see the princesses and princes in Toontown. My DD had her picuter taken with holiday Stitch at about midnight. I did notice that unlike the last time we went the crowds did not thin after the first parade. We did enjoy all the characters in their holiday finery and the carolers in town square. It was a great time for us filled with rides, shows, characters, parades and the awesome fireworks. We would go again in a heart beat. As a matter of fact DH is already planning a trip for next year.
Now in all fairness I have not been to the other 2 parties mentioned. I would like to try them out. Just another reason I have to go back.:mickey: