PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything you know about Disney's Vero Beach resort

buzznwoodysmom
12-12-2007, 06:32 PM
We are planning our summer trip to the beach and wanted to try something new. We have been to many beaches between Galveston, TX and Destin, FL and just want something totally new this summer. We think Disney's Vero Beach resort may be just what we are looking for. I have a few, or maybe a lot, of questions. Please add any tips or suggestions you may have that I am unaware of.

Do they have a character meal? and if so how often is it offered? What characters should we expect to see?

Are there any characters around the resort? and if so which ones?

Do they sell disney items in the store?

What places within the resort would you recommend us eating at?

Do they have an outdoor movie? and if so how often is it offered?

Is the campfire sing along nightly? are any character's involved in the campfire sing along?

What kinds of activities are offered for children/families?

Would 4 nights be enough? or too much?

Is there anything worth checking out outside of the resort?

I am sure I'll have more questions as time passes. Please feel free to fill me in on anything you know about the resort and the area. Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I called the resort and got some of my questions answered. I'll post them here incase anyone else is interested.

They do have a character breakfast offered on Saturdays only. The characters at this time are Goofy and Donald.

The store does sell Disney items.

They didn't know anything about an outdoor movie, but they do have a DJ and pool games on Saturdays and Sundays.

The campfire sing along does not have any characters and is offered select night depending on the season.

Some of the activities for families and children are bead jewelry making, crafts, kayaking, unbirthday party, bingo, movie night, treasure hunt, scavenger hunt, beach walk, finger painting, mini golf, mickey plate craft, water sports (with rental fees), and bikes (althogh no surrey bikes).

Not many places to see in the area, but they do have a nice Treasure Museum, and Kennedy Space center isn't too far away. Also Disney World is not too far either.

Landon wanted to either go to the beach or to Disney World for his Kindgergarten graduation. We told him that since we just went to WDW we wouldn't be able to go back, but I think this would be a great vacation instead. I have even thought of surprising the boys with one day in Disney on our way home. After all, who can pass right by Orlando without stopping by for a day!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-15-2007, 12:20 AM
There are smores! For free!! I forgot what night it's on though, but I'd like to say a Thursday?

Personally, I love Vero Beach. Then again, I am a beach baby. If you go in the summer, you can talk tours along the beach to see the turtle nests. But be wary of the little "no-see-ums" (silent, hard to see, nasty little bugs that leave some very annoying and itchy bites). They are very common in the summertime and I recommend a lot of OFF!

There is free mini golf for DVC members as well, pin trading, you can rent movies and board games (and by that, I mean for free as well). There are all kinds of games and activities held outside of the main lobby.

If you go, I would try to request an Inn Room (those are the ones with the best views of the beaches) and if I remember correctly, they are actually cheaper than the other rooms but my parents keep track of all that.

Also, if you purchased one of the refill mugs from WDW....I think you might benefit from bringing it to Vero.

buzznwoodysmom
12-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks Jessica,

I was able to obtain lots of info by calling the resort directly. When I didn't get any responces here I searched on anther (gasp) disney board and found lots of helpful information. We do plan to book an Inn room for the reason you mentioned. The recommendation I got is to request a corner upper level room with an ocean view. I was told these are some of the best views of the ocean and those rooms are a bit roomier.

Now that I have a good bit of information I was hoping to get some reviews from people who have been there. And I'd love suggestions on where to eat both inside and outside of the resort.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-16-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't know if this will happen to you but when we our reservation earlier this year, we requested an "Inn Room with a ocean view."

They misunderstood what we wanted and gave us a normal ocean view room (which was about a foot of ocean when you leaned over the balcony railing and looked behind). We called and requested a transfer. You may want to specify the Inn part several times. To my understanding, all Inn rooms offer an ocean view.

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll keep that in mind when I make a request. Did they move you to a better room when asked? Also what time of the year did you visit? We are going to be there the last week in May. Is Vero Beach usually a crowded place or is it somewhat quiet? From reviews I've read and pictures that accompanied the reviews it didn't appear to be crowded at all. These reviews were for several different months of the year, including 4th of July.

Ed
12-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

We've been to Vero Beach several times over the past few years. It's quickly becoming my favorite non-WDW-property resort.

We have stayed in a one-bedroom villa, a studio in one of the remote buildings, a studio in the Inn building, and a regular Inn room. Our favorite, not surprisingly, was the 1BR villa, which was on the third floor of (I believe) building 13, with a great verandah looking out toward the ocean. Huge unit, very clean and comfortable. :thumbsup:

We find VB to be very relaxing. It's a nice change of pace being away from virtually everything; no tempting theme parks nearby, no "honky-tonk" boardwalk, a great ocean beach, nice pool and hot tub, two very fine restaurants right onsite, the Green Cabin Room, a tavern with limited food service, on the second floor with a great patio overlooking the ocean... and the legendary Disney hospitality is alive and well there. WiFi is available in the Inn lobby if you really must bring a computer.

Not all of the Inn rooms have ocean views. One one of our trips, our room overlooked the not-so-scenic parking lot and Rte A1A. :( We learned that lesson early on; we now do whatever we need to do to get an ocean view.

Although our trips have mostly been by ourselves or with other adults, we took two pre-teen grandsons there for a few days on one trip, and they positively loved it!

You inquired about off-site restaurants. If you drive about 5 miles south on A1A into Vero Beach proper (the resort is actually in the town of Wabasso), you'll find plenty of restaurants, shopping, and the like. One of our favorites in Vero is Mulligan's, right on the beach at the far east end of Rte 60. Additionally, if you leave the resort then turn left at the first traffic light (Rte 510), you'll find US1 not far at all. Make a right onto US1 into the town of Sebastian, about a fifteen minute drive. We have two favorite restaurants there - - Captain Hiram's and Squid Lips, both of them on Indian River Drive, overlooking the river. In fact, Squid Lips is actually on stilts over the water! In addition to excellent food and service, you might well find yourselves being entertained by groups of dolphins playing in the river.

Best of all for us, it's only 75 miles from home, so spur of the moment trips are easily arranged. We've been there in the winter, summer, and fall. Crowds have never been a problem, and we've had no difficulty getting ressies.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-16-2007, 11:36 PM
When we requested a better room, we were given one. It was over the summer that I went, sometime in July-August. It wasn't too crowded, but the no-see-um were out and I got bit a few times. Made s'mores, and played mini golf. It was a nice break from work.

If you go off property for food, there is an amazing Belgian Waffle place nearby but I can't remember it's exact location.

Also, I fell in love with this used book store that was also in Sebastian.

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks so much to the two of you. I got lots of great info from another site, but I feel much better now to have some "trusted" info from friends here on Intercot. I am very excited about planning this trip. We do plan to try both Shutters and Sonya's while there, but if we stay for 4 or 5 nights I think we are going to need more options. By the way is 4 or 5 nights too much? We like the beach and relaxing, but we also like to have things to do. I think Disney's Vero Beach resort appears to have lots to do, especially for the kids, but will we get bored after a few days?

Speaking of dining out, have either of you tried the Saturday morning Charater breakfast? This is something we would really want to do with the kids. Also, I read somewhere that there is a place on site, not sure which restuarant, that when you order a kids meal it comes in a sand bucket, do you know if this is true? My kids just love little touches like that.

I had also read a review that stated a family went to a dive in movie at the pool. Can anyone tell me if this is done on a regular basis or is it done at all? When I called the resort I asked about this and was told that this has never been offered at the resort, but I read several reviews that mentioned this.

Any other tips you guys have, please feel free to send them my way. Thanks again for all the information you have given me so far.

Ed
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not aware of any "dive in" movies being offered there.

Kids' meals at the poolside snack bar are, I believe, offered in a sand bucket.

As far as getting bored, I think that really depends on your own disposition. As for us, the last time we went for a week with other adult friends, we loved it so much that we extended our stay by one extra day. Then again, we are the types who are perfectly content to sit by the pool, reading a good book, soaking up some rays, and sipping on "adult beverages" :marg: :beer: . Between that and doing the "tourist routine" in Vero Beach and Sebastian, we were far from bored.

BTW, at Shutters and/or Sonia's, be sure to try the tomato basil soup if it's on the menu...VERY tasty!

disneycouple2004
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I may not answer many questions but i will tell you this: We spent our honeymoon there in Dec 2004. had a nice cottage as close to the beach as possible, we pretty much had the run of the place, it was very quite, peaceful, beautiful, we took long walks on the beach, never seen another person..the food at Sonia's was wonderful. Of course we spent alot our time in the room...:D....ha ha ..of course .....Anyways we highly recommend it, and look forward to our next trip there...:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
BTW, at Shutters and/or Sonia's, be sure to try the tomato basil soup if it's on the menu...VERY tasty!

Thanks for that tip. I love, love, love soup. Any kind of soup!

We do normally tend to get bored after a few days at the beach. Then we start looking for things to do like water parks, go cart and putt putt places, renting watercrafts, going to local amusements parks or attractions. A reasonably priced beach vacation then turns into a fairly expensive trip. I think at Disney's Vero Beach resort, the resort should have enough to keep us busy. We do enjoy relaxing, don't get me wrong, but laying on the beach all day everyday without any activities to keep us entertained does get old with us after a day or two. From what I've read the local area doesn't have very much to do. I kind of like the idea of staying mostly at the resort relaxing, but having lots to do right there on site should we get bored.

A few of the things we are interested in away from the resort is a treasure museum, eating out, and maybe a dolphin cruise (if they even offer this in the area). We are not really interested in outlet malls. I love shopping, but I really don't like to shop on vacation. Anything else in the area we should know about that is a "must do"?

Ed
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for that tip. I love, love, love soup. Any kind of soup!... renting watercrafts...a treasure museum, eating out, and maybe a dolphin cruise (if they even offer this in the area).

Pardon the abbreviated quote.

Another soup you're sure to love is the Maryland style crab soup at Captain Hiram's. I'm originally from Maryland, and their crab soup is among the best I've ever had, and that's saying a lot!

Treasure museum ? Then you're going to have to stop by the Mel Fisher museum (http://www.planetware.com/sebastian/mel-fishers-treasure-museum-us-fl-875.htm) , also right there in Sebastian. Mel Fisher, for those not familiar with him, was a very successful treasure hunter whose finds included several of the largest shipwreck recoveries ever made.

You can rent SeaDoo's right on the beach at the resort. We did, and had a ball! I believe they also rent HobieCats.

I'm not personally familiar with any dolphin cruises in the immediate area, but if you Google "dolphin cruise Sebastian" you'll find a few in the area. As I mentioned before, we have seen many dolphin playing in the river, so it stands to reason that someone would capitalize on that. You might even luck out and spot a manatee or two!

(Can you tell that I really love Vero Beach?) :cool:

buzznwoodysmom
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
TiggTigg5,

Yes, it does appear that you love Vero Beach. That's great though, you have given me a great deal of information and your enthusiasm for this place sure makes me even more excited about going. We love WDW just as much as anyone else, but we do have to have our vacations to other destinations. We try to do at least one other trip for every one or two WDW trips. I think this will be a family favorite after this summer. A little bit of Disney and a little something different sounds like the perfect combination. I am sure I'll have more questions as the time draws near. I'll be looking for you when I need more information. Thanks again!

Ed
12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
No problem at all, Denise. Glad to share my enthusiasm.

Remember, too, that if you really find that you're getting bored, you can take a pretty easy and scenic drive up A1A into Melbourne Beach, up farther toward Cocoa Beach, Port Canaveral (Disney Cruise Line ships are in port until 5 pm on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays), and perhaps even the Kennedy Space Center, about 75 miles total.

Now, aren't you glad you realized that there is plenty of info you can find right here at INTERCOT ? :rocks:

;)