PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

Hayden's Dad
12-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, I need your advice. We are starting to plan our next trip with Hayden for next year and I need your advice on where to stay.
We have always stayed at one of the value resorts twice at ASMovies, and once at Pop, and we have stayed twice at the Caribbean Beach Resort. The values was mostly for the cost we are not in our rooms very often usually jsut to sleep and we very rarely go back to the hotel for a break so really what the hotel looks like doesn't matter a whole lot. But as some of you read in my last trip reports we had some issues with a couple of bus drivers this past trip and the one in May with Hayden's KidKart, and to be honest I would like to avoid the busses as much as possible.
I did some pricing on Disney's website for next year around the first week of December and t a 5 night 6 day stay at the Contemporary with the Deluxe plan wasn't to bad I think around $2800.00 that does not include transportation we would probably drive again it is so much simpler with Hayden's equipment (I am sure you all can understand), but that was for the "Standard" Room View to have the Magic Kingdom view was an additional $750.00 and a Lagoon view was additional $500.00. But I really like the thought of grabbing the monorail to Epcot and Magic Kingdom as these are the two parks we visit the most, Animal Kigdom and Studios would still be busses, but that would be ok. What are your opinions, where have you stayed with your special child? Thanks for all your help.

DawsonAR
12-12-2007, 10:34 AM
We run into the same issues as you. My daughter has a kidcart and we have had some issues with a couple of bus drivers. One even refused to let her on the bus. He left us standing there. He said she would have to walk on. I have tried for 8 years to get her to walk, so if he can get her to do it, more power to him. Enough of that.

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge a couple of times with her due to the weather issues. At least when it rains, we aren't trying to push her to the food court.

For January of 08 we are trying Poly just to see if the transportation ease is worth it. We are also trying club level for the first time to see if the convience is worth it or not. It is so difficult in the mornings to try and get food in the crowded food courts pushing the wheel chair. (I'm sure you know that). I will let you know what I think of the Poly after we return. We will be there January 1-7.

Hayden's Dad
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks DawsonAR,
I am so glas you are able to go here soon I hope you have a wonderful time. Please let me know how the Poly was for conveinence we may be looking at going around our Anniversary October 10 and going to the Halloween Party and the Poly priced cheaper than the Contemporary.

LibertyTreeGal
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Kyle,

The only thing I don't like about the monorail resorts is that the platforms for loading aren't on ground level, but other than that, I think it would be worth the money.

About this kidkart deal -- is it possible to get a doctor's note or something from Disney explaining what these things are (ie -- not glorified strollers!)?!?

If enough parents are having kidkart troubles, it seems there ought to be a way to unite and take the concerns straight to Disney. Families shouldn't be forced to go deluxe just to avoid bus problems!!! I know what medical bills are like when you have a sick kid :mad: and they make it hard to swing a deluxe resort, no matter what you do for a living.

Glad to hear that you are planning his next trip already. :D

Hayden's Dad
12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks TeeDee

I think the problem with the KidKard is that it does not look like a wheelchair until you look close at it and realize that it is made of steel, plus with the blankets we throw over it it covers anything that may hint to the fact that it is a wheelchair. I agree something needs to be done. I would much rather spend the extra money on our trip than for the convienence of the monorail although I know what you mean about all the platforms being on the upper levels somethimes it is difficult finding an elevator.
And like I said before it is not like we had problems with every bus far from it it was only two drivers out of 15-20, but the stress of wondering if you are going to have to have a confrontation, are they going to see us, etc... I am open to any suggestions and will get whatever I need to from the doctor.

Jenemmy
12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi there. Our family absolutely loves the Contemporary -- for feeling like we are in the "heart" of Disney and for convenience. We stay there whenever we can swing it. We ain't swinging it for our trip in January -- but we will again someday!

Basically, the price quoted to you was for the Garden Wing -- is that right? There are no "standard" views in the tower -- you either have the MK or you have the lagoon. I readily admit that there is something quite magical about staying in the tower with an MK view. It's like you never have to leave the Magic Kingdom. Love that the castle is the last thing I see before I go to sleep and the first thing I see when I wake up.

The advantage the Tower has over the Poly and Grand Flo, IMHO -- is that you do not have to go outside your building to access the monorail -- great for nasty weather. That being said....last year we stayed in the garden wing of the Contemporary and it is a very short walk from the wing to the main building -- and it's covered, not enclosed, but covered. the garden wing rooms are a bit bigger because they do not have a balcony like tower rooms do. Our view was garden, pool and lagoon if we turned our heads :mickey:

I am sorry you had some issues with drivers. It is so easy to let people who don't know your situation get under your skin -- I can't tell you how many times I have had to soothe my son after a callous remark by a stranger. Sometimes people just don't get it and I find myself telling my Travis, "don't worry about them -- they don't know you" and then find that that is EXACTLY what I have to tell myself as well!

I am so, so glad you guys had such an awesome trip! Nothin' like planning the next one!!:thumbsup: Here's to even MORE characters next year :D

Hayden's Dad
12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. Yes that was a quote for the Standard Garden wing. The MK view would have been an additional $750.00, and unless I get a huge promotion that just isn't feasible, and we may end up back at the values or one of the moderates and that is ok. It's just fun to dream and see what other options there might be.

LibertyTreeGal
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
*sigh* I guess that, short of a neon sign saying, "HEY! Baby Wheelchair HERE!" you are always gonna have to deal with people, no matter what.

Oh well, it's like I always say to people, "The only thing I can imagine that would be worse than being a special needs parent is NOT being one...."

Hmmmm...... here's a thought, I wonder if you could contact the manufacturer directly and ask them to send their product information directly to Disney transportation. Have them see that every single driver gets a copy and ask that Disney train them to spot it. yeah, I know, in your copious free time. But I wonder if someone on here knows any advocacy people who would be willing to take on a project like this?

Jasper
12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I hope you have tried to contact someone with Disney Transportation to express your frustration with the bus drivers. Obviously there needs to be more education on what is "wheelchair" and what is not. I don't know how often they do refreshers with their bus drivers on such things but as often as companies come out with new models they need to do it at least once a year if not twice a year.

As for which hotel, because they are all designed so differently you are going to have different issues at each one. The best thing to do is to sit down and make a list of those things that are important to you and then look at the materials and ask specific questions to find out if the places you are thinking of staying will actually meet most of your needs.

And remember, there is no such thing as a perfect resort even if you don't have a special needs person in your party, so don't go into any of them thinking that this will be the one to solve all your needs. I think because Disney World in general has done such a good job over the years that many people go with their expectations set WAY to high and end up disappointed when EVERYTHING is not just perfect. And that last is a general statement, not one about any special needs anyone may have.

ElenitaB
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmmmm...... here's a thought, I wonder if you could contact the manufacturer directly and ask them to send their product information directly to Disney transportation. Have them see that every single driver gets a copy and ask that Disney train them to spot it. yeah, I know, in your copious free time. But I wonder if someone on here knows any advocacy people who would be willing to take on a project like this?
In the works already... to be done before the year is out! (Which ... :eek: ... is right around the corner!)

LibertyTreeGal
12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
In the works already... to be done before the year is out! (Which ... :eek: ... is right around the corner!)

Awesome :thumbsup:

Hayden's Dad
12-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys I really apprecieate all of your advice.

Oh well, it's like I always say to people, "The only thing I can imagine that would be worse than being a special needs parent is NOT being one...."

You are so right and I could just hug you for that.

I hope you have tried to contact someone with Disney Transportation to express your frustration with the bus driversI sent a letter to the communications department earlier this week, and I am waiting to hear back from them.

And remember, there is no such thing as a perfect resort even if you don't have a special needs person in your party

Believe me I know about things not being perfect, and I don't expect them to be all though this last trip was as close to perfect I I have ever had it. I am just looking for more convienence, and like I said earlier the two out of I think 20 bus drivers that gave us a hard time did not ruin our vacation, and for the most part everyone was very understanding and didn't even look twice just lowered the lift and off we went. Sometimes they would ask just to make sure but they were very cordial and extremley nice. Disney is the most accomodating and understanding place we have ever been, but if I thought I could add a little more convienence all the better, plus it is a good excuse to try a deluxe resort :thumbsup: But I doubt we will end up there all though we may upgrade to one of the moderates this year.

pugslave
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
What about Boardwalk? You can easily walk to Epcot, and there is a nice, flat paved walkway to MGM. Or you can take the boats to either park. It's our home DVC resort, so we stay there a lot. To avoid the buses, you could walk through Epcot and hop on the monorail to the TTC and then get to MK from there. I love walking in Epcot in the morning - It's so peaceful. We stay in a 1 bedroom, and having the full kitchen and washer and dryer in the room is a beautiful thing. Even in the studios there is a coffeemaker (a must for me!) a microwave, toaster and fridge. Also, since it's a "home away from home" resort, you can ask the CM's to help you with bus issues. Our DD has some special needs, and they have been more than accomodating us when we asked. Happy planning!

Hayden's Dad
12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Boardwalk might be a good idea. I will have to price them. Can you enter Epcot before Opening through the International Gateway or would you need to catch a bus to the front? Thanks for the advice.

pugslave
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure what the earliest time is, but I know we have gone through International Gateway as early as 8:30 and there were CM's there who let us go toward future world. In pricing, you might want to check Ebay. I have seen the Boardwalk on there. People sometimes can't use their points for the year, and will "sell" them on Ebay. My friend's did this last year and stayed at Saratoga for a week for about $950.

Hayden's Dad
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Well I think the deluxe resorts are just going to be to far out of our price range. What is your opinion of Port Orleans Riverside. Thanks again.

offwego
12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Well I think the deluxe resorts are just going to be to far out of our price range. What is your opinion of Port Orleans Riverside. Thanks again.

One thing to consider about Riverside is that is can be somewhat spreadout. Lovely but sprawling.

You may want to consider French Quarter as it's smaller size will make getting to the food court area and buses somewhat easier. However one issue with both of these is that they share buses (riverside & french quarter) and so the number of guests trying to get back at the end of the day can be quite large. (in Sept it was mostly standing room only and often multiple bus waits at Epcot). Not a huge factor but it wasn't unusual to have 3-4 different ecv/wheelchair families arrive and some need to wait.

Have you considered CBR? While it's larger it's multiple bus stops and internal one might help. Plus it doesn't seem to create the same stacking issue that POR/POFQ does.

LibertyTreeGal
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey Kyle, I know you've already decided against a deluxe but for future reference avoid the Epcot resorts at all costs. I found the bus service to be awful and even worse is that they jam those boats full at night from MGM and Epcot (believe me, little cherub boy would get squished). There is no bus service at all from either MGM or Epcot, it's either walk (Epcot) or boat. The boat is shared with 5resorts -- Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin. If I had a sweet bunny like Hayden in the kidkart I wouldn't even consider any of them.

DawsonAR
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
We have stayed at POR but I wouldn't really want to do it again with my DD due to.the buildings being so far apart and so many bus stops. Another thing is you must have a ground floor room due to stairs only. But, I do love the resort. If you could promsie me a week without rain (like that will happen) I would love to stay there. We usually use AP discounts for WL and have been lucky with rates so far.

TheDuckRocks
12-15-2007, 07:57 PM
This is going to be sort of off topic, but I was at the mall Christmas shopping today and talked to a young woman with a little one in a Kidkart and I have a question.
How in the world could anyone much less a WDW CM bus driver not be able to see the difference between a Kidkart for a special needs child and a regular stroller?:confused:
Kyle, I know you said you all had blankets on it but unless you had a very different model than what I saw today there should be no question but that these are built for a very special purpose.

LibertyTreeGal
12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
This is going to be sort of off topic, but I was at the mall Christmas shopping today and talked to a young woman with a little one in a Kidkart and I have a question.
How in the world could anyone much less a WDW CM bus driver not be able to see the difference between a Kidkart for a special needs child and a regular stroller?:confused:
Kyle, I know you said you all had blankets on it but unless you had a very different model than what I saw today there should be no question but that these are built for a very special purpose.

He did have it loaded with blankets when I saw it and it was still obvious. It looks nothing like a stroller, at least not to me!

I think it's just a matter of training. I would bet that more than once someone with a stroller has tried to get special treatment, like having kids is some sort of special need in and of itself :rolleyes:, and the driver may have been reacting to that. That's why there does need to be a "heads up" that these things do exist. I'll bet a lot of money that the driver was just reacting to past situations .... and of course that is a problem for all special needs families. Gosh, with pregnant women now demanding handicap spots in many states, and other silly things, it makes it all the harder for those truly in need to just get simple accomodation. It frustrates people to the point where they do not want to reasonably accomodate our youngsters.

Hayden's Dad
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks again guys for all the help. The crowds coming back to Port Orleans sound a little daunting, CBR may be better, or we may just go back to POP we haven't been there with Hayden, but we have been there before and it was nice.

they jam those boats full at night from MGM and Epcot

I saw those little boats and to be honest I am not real sure how you would get a wheelchair on there anyway, I am sure they are accesible, but they made us very nervous.

I think it's just a matter of training. I would bet that more than once someone with a stroller has tried to get special treatment, like having kids is some sort of special need in and of itself , and the driver may have been reacting to that.
I agree 100% wether these drivers were new or just having a bad night I don't know, but I don't really care either. That sounds horrible I know, but I am sure you all understand. I think overall they are doing a great job in training their drivers 2 out of 20 or so buses is not a bad average, but I am sure you will agree with me it still isn't acceptable especially at WDW and it agravates me now the more I think about it I shouldn't have to be paying more for our trip just to try and avoid some busses. Sorry for the rant I just got off on a tangent there.

Janmac
12-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Regarding PO busses, we are considering staying for the first time at POFQ on our Sept 08 trip. From various searches, it appears that POFQ is very quiet, with buildings close enough together (compared to other moderates) to make the distance negligible and POFQ is the first stop. I read reports that if the bus fills, heading toward a park, at POFQ, it bypasses Riverside. Returning from parks, POFQ is the first stop.

POFQ also has the slide with the sea serpent's tail, which our family has been wanting to see for several years. Unfortunately the table service restaurant is at Riverside.

We have stayed at Caribbean Beach. This resort is so spread out. Look at Info central to check the numbers of rooms. POFQ is half the size of the other moderates.

We have also stayed at the Poly, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Wilderness Lodge. You have had some good advice concerning these other resorts.

Jan

Disney Yankee
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
The Beach Club will make you happy:)